Start by marking “The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8: 1965-1966” as Want to Read:
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8: 1965-1966

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8: 1965-1966 (Complete Peanuts #8)

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  666 ratings  ·  37 reviews
We are now in the mid-1960s, one of Schulz's peak periods of creativity (and one third of the way through the strip's life!). Snoopy has become the strip's dominant personality, and this volume marks two milestones for the character: the first of many "dogfights" with the nefarious Red Baron, and the launch of his writing career ("It was a dark and stormy night..."). Two n ...more
Published September 17th 2007 by Fantagraphics (first published August 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8

Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography []. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

I recently received a hundred-dollar gift certificate to Borders from my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas; but that ironically created a problem for me, in that I've thoroughly trained myself over the last three years to think of books only in terms of library rentals, making it difficult to pictur
The one, the only. This volume of the Fantagraphics releases has a lot of dailies and Sundays that will probably be among series fans' favorites (some of mine: "Sydney or the Bush"; Snoopy gains weight trying to forget his latest beautiful beagle girlfriend; Sally has to wear an eye patch; Charlie Brown goes to summer camp).

It's hard to overstate Schulz's genius in Peanuts, at least up until the 1960s. Unlike a lot of latter-day strips, which are composed basically of broad gags, not characters
Shona Moyce

Peanuts is, in a word, CLASSIC. It really is.

I never tire of it. This is the first full volume I've read all the way through, and yet I would happily build my collection of Charles M. Schulz's work in its entirety.

Snoopy is my personal favourite; loud, obnoxious Lucy a very close second. Honestly though, it's impossible not to love the whole damn bunch of 'em.

Wit, irony, and Peanuts' shining glory of presenting - amidst the comedy - real-life issues, all combine to make a world you want to vi
Will Hines
Jan 02, 2008 Will Hines rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: far too many people.
Ok! So it's just comic strips. But outside of comics aficionados, Peanuts is criminally under appreciated. This particular batch has a bunch of sequences that were far more surreal than I recalled: Lucy makes a slideshow of Charlie Brown's faults, Lucy enters Linus and his blanket as a science fair exhibit, Linus paints a mural inside Snoopy's doghouse. It's funny stuff!
Another volume of The Complete Peanuts, another 2 years of quality comic strips.

Several aspects are improved. There are far fewer, if any, one-shot characters; those are are usually misses, especially when compared to the main cast, so their disappearance is good. The one new character that is introduced has since become an integral part of the cast: Peppermint Patty, along with her "sidekick" Marcy. Patty starts life pretty much fully formed, calling Charlie Brown "Chuck" from their first conve
Janne Varvára
I love, I love I love. I think everyone and their grandmother must know I love Peanuts by now. They're my constant bedside companion, and cheer me up when I'm feeling down.
I also choose to take it as an omen that I, who wasn't planning on being in the show at all this year, was asked to play a character named Sally in our annual summer play. Horribly silly, but true. So how could I say no?

In this volume, Snoopy is up to more fantasies; especially when impersonating a World War I flying ace hunti
Jan 09, 2008 Rick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Volume eight in this series is still Schulz at his peak, introducing new characters (most notably Peppermint Patty, who calls Charlie Brown Chuck and Lucy Van Pelt, Lucille) and tackling themes old and new with verve, wit, and originality. Charlie Brown’s baseball teams lose, even when Patty comes to the rescue and pitches a no hitter and hits five homeruns they lose 37-5 having giving up three dozen and one unearned runs. The Great Pumpkin refuses to visit the most sincere of all believers, Lin ...more
"Another fun Complete Peanuts volume. The strips collected here coincide with the apex of Peanuts-mania in America, as highlighted with a Snoopy & co. Time magazine cover in April of ’65. The first year has a few interesting storylines involving Charlie Brown at summer camp, Sally being prescribed an eye patch, Linus having his blanket shipped away to his uncaring grandma, and the ever-present losing streaks in baseball. Amusing as always, but I’m getting the first inklings here that Schulz ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Charles M. Schulzin "The Complete Peanuts 1965-1966" (Fantagraphics, 2007) edustaa sarjakuvaa parhaimmillaan. Näiden kahden vuoden aikana nähtiin valtava määrä suomalaistenkin lukijoiden rakastamia ja hyvin muistamia klassikkostrippejä: Epun riepu osoittaa vihamielisyyden merkkejä Tellua kohtaan, Jaska Jokunen joutuu kesäleirille, osallistuu tavauskilpailuun ja yrittää saada baseball-joukkueensa menestymään vaikka hammasta purren, Ressun koirankoppi palaa, Salli yrittää selviytyä amblyobiastaan ...more
This particular period of the Peanuts run definitely broke some new ground - Snoopy starts his World War I flier fantasy, and Peppermint Patty makes her first appearance. Both of which sort of indicate that by now Schulz is definitely getting beyond just recycling the standard gags of the strip - even segments like the yearly return of the Great Pumpkin (though he never really returns, does he? Since he never even appeared) have a little more pizazz to them.

Trends in pop culture seem to be appea
After some almost anarchic beginnings, the strip was becoming quite predictable and a bit sappy in Charlie's melancholy ways, the ever-losing baseball team etc. Some surprises were at last brought back as Snoopy starts hunting the Red Baron and Peppermint Patty enters the scene.
Might still be a while before I get the next box set (67-70).
This volume introduces the World War One Flying Ace and Peppermint Patty. There's also a hint at a very early Woodstock. Linus goes to camp. Sally gets an eye patch. Snoopy's house gets burnt down. There's lots of fun reading in this book. Oh, and Patty is a friend of Rory from the camp, Rory does not get changed into Patty. No matter what the book blurb says. I always really enjoy reading these books, they are so well done. And its always a discovery reading Peanuts material that hasn't been re ...more
Rugg Ruggedo
Hal Hartley did the introduction on this one, an American film maker with a leaning towards dead pan humor he has a very interesting take on it.
These are the strips where summer camp first makes an appearance. It covers the first time the dog house gets shot up by The Red Baron, and with that Snoopy starts to take center stage in the strip.
This all very familiar ground, even if you've only seen the cartoons and never read the strip, mostly because this is the era that material for those shows go
Som Hanten
classic! komik strip legendaris, dengan dialog-dialog 'cerdas' khas anak-anak amrik. saya suka bagaimana Schulz membangun dunia kecil, dengan penduduknya yang juga kanak-kanak, berinteraksi satu sama lain lewat konversasi yang khas kanak-kanak pula. nyatanya, Peanuts sukses bertahan hingga kini.

satu yang saya ingat ketika menikmati edisi koleksi ini: saya terlalu sayang untuk cepat-cepat menghabiskan membacanya :)
Roozbeh Daneshvar
As the other volumes in this set, I truly enjoyed this one as well. I had read some later volumes first; what caught my attention was that the drawings and jokes will significantly change from this volume to the comics of five years later (around 1970). I believe that the drawings of characters will become more mature and the jokes become more intelligent.
The other John
This volume of Peanuts reprints contains lots of baseball gags, lots of Snoopy as the World War I flying ace strips, the account of Charlie Brown's time at summer camp, Sally's treatment for "lazy eye" (and attendant eye-patch jokes) and the first appearance of Peppermint Patty. It's amusing stuff--nothing spectacular, but worth checking out if you need a chuckle.
This series includes the strip that ran the day I was born. In it, Charlie Brown is lamenting how he is the type of person who never gets to meet the little red-head girl. How appropriate, as that sums up romance for my entire life. Even today, Charles Schulz manages to neatly sum up our angst and absurdities, and yet still gets us to laugh about it.
Greg Brozeit
My favorite of the first eight volumes. The introduction of Snoopy's Red Baron obsession and Peppermint Patty help give the strip its modern identity.
Snoopy develops more in this volume. He starts typing and acting out his WWI flying ace fantasy. Also, Peppermint Patty makes her first appearances in this volume too. Fun stuff.
got this in the libary ms owens took it away. really funny and one part shows snoopy protecting the house with a gun showed slex and he stared laughing like crazy!
Colin Wahl
The funny book is about Charlie, Snoopy, and the rest of the peanuts gang in there hilarious adventures. I suggest that everyone reads it.
This was a great book.
Kenneth Flores
My favorite out of all of the Complete Peanuts books. Like how Peppermint Patty believes in the Great Pumpkin and Snoopy as the World War I Flying Ace.
Peppermint Patty is the highlight, along with Snoopy chasing the Red Baron for the first time (before it gets used too much).
Please see my comprehensive review, entered for The Complete Peanuts 1969-1970 (Volume 10)
Mike Jensen
Shakespeare quotations on 2 June and 17 December 1966.
I love the Peanuts especially this book of the comic strips
got this book for christmas, really enjoyed it
Finished this again on May 22, 2015.
Elijah S
Great! Reccomended for all ages.
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 2: 1982-1984
  • Popeye, Vol. 1: I Yam What I Yam!
  • Baby Blues 04: I Thought Labor Ended When the Baby Was Born
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Unnatural Selections
  • Garfield Makes It Big (Garfield, #10)
  • Krazy and Ignatz, 1925-1926: There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
Charles Monroe Schulz was an American cartoonist, whose comic strip Peanuts proved one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium, and is still widely reprinted on a daily basis.

Schulz's first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1950 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there, although he applied the name in
More about Charles M. Schulz...

Complete Peanuts (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 7: 1963-1964
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 9: 1967-1968
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 10: 1969-1970
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 11: 1971 - 1972

“You try for a little happiness, and what do you get? A few memories and a fat stomach!” 44 likes
“You know what I think my best quality is? I think I'm nice to have around. I'd hate it if I weren't around!” 44 likes