Start by marking “James Beard's American Cookery” as Want to Read:
James Beard's American Cookery

James Beard's American Cookery

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  922 ratings  ·  29 reviews
James Beard has become an American institution. The James Beard Foundation, housed in the late culinary master's home in New York's Greenwich Village, has become the center of American cuisine through its in-house dinners, awards, and generosity to young chefs. Any book by James Beard is an absolute essential to a serious cook's library. Still in print you will find Beard ...more
Published October 28th 1996 by BBS Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about James Beard's American Cookery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Beard's American Cookery

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
69th out of 851 books — 860 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenThe Silver Spoon by Clelia D'Onofrio
Best Cookbooks Ever
82nd out of 146 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Eileen
May 06, 2014 Eileen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I picked this up to see whether I wanted to cull it from my giant cookbook collection, and it turns out that no, I do not, even though the style is basically the polar opposite of how we eat. It's like a snapshot of ideas about food in 1970, which makes it super interesting as a historical object.

The trend is definitely toward the super-heavy. For instance, the salad section has subsections for various kinds of fish, poultry, and meat; many of the salads therein are basically meat napped in hom
Asya Fergiani
This is another amazing historically rich culinary history of American cuisine. Yes, it is a cookbook with a great deal of historical commentary. Gastronomically inspired authors such as James Beard have filled a nitch in the non-fiction market writing about lost culinary techniques inspiring foodies to pick up their wooden spoons with new respect for the American house wife as a substantial force in the molding of American life through the kitchen. I sat up many nights greedily taking in page a ...more
Ruth
James Beard's American Cookery is an 800+ page book giving not only the recipes that define "American" cookery (as opposed to French, Irish, Italian etc.) but also the history of American cuisine along with basic cooking tips--like how to cook various vegetables.

Each two-page spread has recipes on the outside of the pages while the inside of the spread is dedicated to giving the instructions for the recipes or telling the reader about the recipe or about the history of that food. The book was o
Laurie Cockerell
I won this book in the Goodreads Giveaway Contest....and I am thrilled to own this wonderful cookbook. Over 1500 recipes are included in this huge volume of Beard's collection of American dishes. The recipes are surprisingly simple and use a manageable number of ingredients. Originally published in 1972, this new edition is definitely not for those looking for low-fat, low-sugar, low-salt, new-fangled fare....this book is for those who love scrumptious, delightfully rich and filling, old-fashion ...more
MaryKay
This book arrived this week and I've been pleasantly surprised as I've stareted to look threw it. Initially I was daunted by its size. I'll probably never read the chapter on veal. I enjoyed reading the forward by Tom Colicchio (of Top Chef fame) and the introduction by James Beard. From there I skipped to his thoughts on cooking green beans (page 475) to compare to what ai tried last night. I enjoy his historical spin on things. I may try his recipe for Joe's Green Beans with garlic, lemon juic ...more
...4.5 Stars...
From my book review blog Rundpinne ...."This book truly impressed me which takes quite a bit as I am a disaster in the kitchen and would be hard pressed to name more than three famous chefs. As an avid reader, and I realize one does not usually look to cookbooks to be read, I found James Beard’s American Cookery to have a fabulous selection of historical stories regarding American cuisine."....My full review may be read here.
Emily
A dated but still informative look at each ingredient.
Joe
My favorite everyday cook book
Sara
I have the original printing of this book. It is a fabulous collection of American recipes. It is a great book to compare how recipes have changed over the years. For example, the recipe for Sloppy Joes has almost no tomato and is not near as sweet as the recipes we use today. It is a great historical book as well as a great practical book for anyone interested in American cooking.
Amy
I thought the amount and variety of recipes in the cookbook was phenominal! It had a recipe for literally everything. The recipes were also easy to follow and well written. The only reason for my giving it four stars instead of five is because of the lack of pictures. I am a very visual person and I rarely buy cookbooks without pictures (I won this one on a giveaway).
Chellie
I won this book through the Goodreads First-reads program. When I received this book I was a little overwhelmed at first, but soon relized that it was a very easy cook book to navigate through. James Beard's knowledge of American cooking is extraoridary. This is a great addition for anyone's cook book collection.
Deena
This is a fantastic tome! I love the way it's arranged, and there are so many wonderful looking recipes. The best thing about the layout is that the recipes and ingredients are on the edges of the page, and the details are near the spine, so flipping through this book is a breeze.
Catherine Woodman
I think htis is a great cookbook to look at because it captures a period of time in American cooking--where it had potential to go, but was not there--and I am not sure Beard was a man who could have taken it there, but his viewpoint is a good one to be familiar with
Jessica
I know I should love this more. I am fascinated by James Beard and the recipes are all fantastic, it's just not the way I normally cook. So my rating is purely based on the historical significance and role James Beard has played in American Cuisine.
Kirsten
You cannot go wrong in having this on your shelf. James Beard was a charming writer, a distinguished scholar, and a good teacher, and America has produced a fantastic heritage in her food. This is among the best collections of either of them.
Dianne
The first cookbook I ever owned. Reading Beard, his comprehensive understanding of American food and the history of the development of American taste, was fascinating to me. The recipes, though, seem very much stuck in time.
Kylie Briggs
My aunt gave this book to my mom, I stole it from her. I haven't tried anything out of it yet. But I have enjoyed flipping through it and there are plenty of things I want to try...I'll update when I do try recipes out of it.
Terri
This is my all time favorite cookbook. Beard traces the origins of old American favorites and is quite honest in his assessment of some recipes. He combines "down home" cooking with some more extravagant recipes.

Trish Steen
James Beard is one of the American Greats! His recipes are almost always spot on and he is entertaining and informative. I have a collection of his books and give one each year to my daughters.
Mike
This is an ongoing read that I'm finding myself coming back to whenever I'm really thinking about meal planning and wanting to get into the origins and basics of american meals.
Mike
About 800 pages of recipes and culinary history.A lot of old time classics.Kind of reminded me of culinary school.
Just remembered I worked for a James Beard award winning chef.
T Hill
Aug 30, 2010 T Hill rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to cook, or eat, home cooking.
Shelves: cookbook
Great cookbook with a little cooking history and a touch of humor. His love of food and home cooking shines through and make it readable by cooks and non-cooks alike.
Fredrick Danysh
James Beard is recognized as a master of culinary arts. This cookbook contains recipes for many of his dishes.
Andrea
Christopher Kimball of America's Test Kitchen fame said that this is one of the cookbooks he references the most.
Tom
My favorite cookbook, and even useful after you learn to modify the recipes to be more healthful.
ValerieC
We have had this book for many years and several of our favorite recipes come from it.
Carolyn
One of my cooking bibles. Wish this great American cook was still with us.
Cynthia
A very good cookbook that can be read like a novel.
Michele
this is a good one to have on your shelf
Jackie Mcnutt
Jackie Mcnutt marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • New York Times Cookbook
  • The French Chef Cookbook
  • The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century
  • The Breakfast Book
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • Rick Bayless Mexican Kitchen
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Bistro Cooking
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • All about Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads and Extras
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril

James Andrew Beard was an American chef and food writer. He is recognized by many as the father of American gastronomy. Throughout his life, he pursued and advocated the highest standards, and served as a mentor to emerging talents in the field of the culinary arts.

More about James Beard...
Beard on Bread Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking James Beard's Theory and Practice Of Good Cooking The James Beard Cookbook Beard on Pasta (James Beard Library of Great American Cooking)

“it is one of the great sandwiches of all time and has swept its way around the world after an American beginning. Nowadays the sandwich is bastardized because it is usually made as a three-decker, which is not authentic (whoever started that horror should be forced to eat three-deckers three times a day the rest of his life), and nowadays practically everyone uses turkey and their’s a vast difference between turkey and chicken where sandwiches are concerned.” 0 likes
“People are also trying to achieve good honest bread in their own kitchens once again, and that is perhaps the healthiest sign of all—a return not only to home baking but also to the most fundamental traditions of American cookery.” 0 likes