Start by marking “Beard on Bread” as Want to Read:
Beard on Bread

Beard on Bread

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  2,440 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Since the early 1970s, more than 250,000 bread lovers have relied on Beard on Bread to show them exactly how to make the most out-of-this-world breads imaginable. Now, this classic collection of 100 scrumptuous bread recipes is available in a new trade paperback edition featuring more than 90 illustrations by Karl Stuecklen.
Published February 7th 1995 by Knopf (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Beard on Bread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beard on Bread

Sue
Jul 20, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sue by: anyone who enjoys baking
Shelves: cooking-food
I never think to add cookbooks to my list but when I saw this on a friend's I knew I had to add it to mine. I've had this for years and absolutely love Beard's zucchini bread (has lots of cinnamon).

When I was young and not very bright cooking-wise, and had no fancy cooking equipment, I followed the directions as written. Peel the zucchini then shred it. Have you ever tried to shred water? Well, let's just say I never peeled the zucchini after that first time.
Catharine
Aug 23, 2010 Catharine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I bought this book when it was first published in the early 1970s. It remains one of my favorites. Beard's recipe for gingerbread is still my all-time favorites.
Amy
Jan 08, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The receipt in this book says that my husband purchased this bread cookbook in July of 1996 for less than $6 cash at the local Barnes & Noble. It doesn't appear to be used. After all, July certainly isn't prime bread-baking time in Oklahoma where temperatures tend to be above 100 degrees. But with a stand mixer under the tree this Christmas, I think this book is going to get some love. "Was owning a stand mixer all that stood between you and baking bread all this time?" Yes. I have weak ...more
Kirsten
May 05, 2010 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
James Beard was one of the finest chefs America has come up with. He was also an excellent teacher--a trait which carries over well into his writing. Added to this, he loved bread. These things taken together make for a significantly useful book on bread making, especially for those with little experience in the field. I particularly hovered over the introduction leading into the basic white bread recipe which contained detailed, concise, and friendly information qualified to send you on your ...more
Julie
Nov 13, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
I was cruising around my local thrift store, when I stumbled across this book. I hadn't heard of Beard, but love bread and was enchanted with the cover.

I love this book! Beard includes great recipes, along with his insights about bread - what to pair breads with, how long they will keep, and how to preserve them. His book is as satisfying and as comforting as taking home-made bread out of the oven :)

I like his apricot-walnut bread the most and am looking forward to baking some of the other rec
Charlotte
Sep 18, 2014 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodie
“Beard on Bread” is a great collection of timeless recipes with a loving yet straight forward introduction to the art of bread baking from, of course, James Beard. Even without knowing the legacy of The Beard Foundation this is a wonderful little book for any baking enthusiast. (I've page marked at least a third of the recipes for future baking practice.) Perfect for the novice for its straight forward instructions and informative foundation, and perfect for the professional as a well-loved ...more
David Hill
Jun 06, 2014 David Hill rated it it was amazing
I re-read this classic cookbook last week and enjoyed doing so. There are no flashy artistic culinary photos, only simple line drawings. What stands out here is the writing. The recipes are not simply lists of steps and ingredients. Beard walks the reader through the process of baking bread, allowing you to understand why each step is necessary to the final result. I was inspired to try out two recipes, and both loaves were excellent. Recommended!
Anie
Jun 02, 2015 Anie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: bakers
Fantastic book on bread-baking. It takes you from a simple white loaf to ryes, egg breads, tea breads and rolls. I was impressed by the variety of recipes, from yeast breads to baking powder and fruit breads. In fact, I impressed enough to actually buy my own copy instead of just taking it out from the library.
Marc
Feb 18, 2009 Marc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
No doubt about it.This is what I used to learn how o bake bread,oh so may years ago. I'm sure there are bigger and better books by now. King Arthur Flour book comes to mind as efficient and detailed. And l Have and like it too. But I don't care. This is nostalgically my favorite bread book. Try the continental loaf recipe first. that will get you going.
Renee Edelman
Oct 15, 2008 Renee Edelman rated it it was amazing
One summer in college, I was unemployed for 3 weeks. I picked up this book and taught myself to make bread. My father was actually sad when I found myself a job. A special place in my heart goes to the sour cream white bread.
Liz De Coster
Jul 30, 2008 Liz De Coster rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I may be spoiled by more recent cooking/baking books that have photographs and shiny pages, or maybe I was expecting more from Beard. I just didn't feel compelled to jump up and bake anything from recipes in this book.
Ken Farley
Jul 26, 2015 Ken Farley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a cookbook, unlike many I own, where I have made at least 80% of the recipes, and found them all to be favorites. The Banana Nut Bread, for example, is a gem. This is my goto book anytime I've got a need for homemade bread.
Terri
Dec 08, 2008 Terri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, cookbooks
Beard takes you through all the steps of baking a wonderful loaf of bread. He explains the "chemistry" of bread baking as well as what went wrong when you don't get a perfect loaf and how to correct the problem.

I got this book when I was first learning to bake and never regretted it.
Sheila
Nov 29, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
I like to make my own bread so decided this would be a good book to review. Good suggestions and interesting recipes. Because I have not tried any at this point, it is too early to rate their quality.
Phoebe
Feb 04, 2008 Phoebe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fictiongems
I've been learning to bake bread through recipes my teacher has pulled from this book. Her copy is, of course, dog-eared and old and many notes. A book worth learning from.

Beard's explanations and directions are clear and readable.
Loraine
Apr 21, 2014 Loraine rated it really liked it
This is another bread book I've owned since I came of age, during the heady flower-child era. Traditional breads, with yeast, but always discussed with that manner that James Beard possessed.
Lisa
Nov 10, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is my bread machine bible until I learn the recipe and then I play around with them to create my own versions!
EXCEPT for my Challah!
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 08, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
The master chef James Beard has put together a collection of recipes for bread along with detailed instructions.
Yvonne
Mar 03, 2008 Yvonne added it
This book gave me a really good overview on bread recipes. By no means is it a professional tutorial on the subject, but I like that Beard is more of a everyman's sort of baker.
Jeanne
Aug 19, 2008 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I think this gets such a high rating from me since it is THE bread book my mother used to make all our bread when we were growing up.
Kristina
Apr 03, 2008 Kristina rated it it was amazing
A real find if you want to know more about the art of baking bread. The recipes are tasty and easy for a beginner bread maker.
Kathleen
Aug 07, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-books
I just needed to let you all know that this book has the best banana bread and zucchini bread recipes ever.
Shari Greenman
Feb 27, 2013 Shari Greenman rated it it was amazing
I've owned this book for a little over 25 years. Beard is very thorough and easy to follow. The banana bread recipe in this is my favorite and the book pops open to the recipe automatically.
Susan
Mar 15, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2009
Wonderful! The writing, the history, and certainly the recipes...this book is a treat. And English Muffin Loaf? Yes. Tried and will definitely bake again.
Joanne Thomson
This is the book the helped me learn how to bake bread so many years ago. I refer back to it often.
Carla
May 12, 2015 Carla rated it liked it
Shelves: cookery, skimmed
how food ideas cshift. This books has a recipe for gluten bread, high in protein and good for diabetics and people on diets...
Emily
Aug 07, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookin
i crack this open every year for st pats but be careful his irish soda bread calls for a bit too much salt!
Ginna
May 19, 2008 Ginna rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ginna by: Mom
Shelves: recipes
From an inveterate cookbook-reader... The illustrations make the basics of bread baking less frightening to inexperienced bakers, and I love Beard's stories. Another plus: the recipes are terrific!
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
For a very long time this was my favorite bread book--and the cornmeal millet bread is one I will make my whole life, I predict
Lauren
Jun 17, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-forcooks
One of oldest cookbooks - now a collection of pages tied with string. I have prob. made the banana bread over 100 times.
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The Tassajara Bread Book
  • Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur
  • Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • The French Chef Cookbook
  • Chef Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • New York Times Cookbook
  • Vegetarian Epicure Book Two
  • Jacques Pépin Fast Food My Way
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves: 200 Classic and Contemporary Recipes Showcasing the Fabulous Flavors of Fresh Fruits

James Andrew Beard was an American chef and food writer. He is recognized by many as the father of American gastronomy. Throughout his life, he pursued and advocated the highest standards, and served as a mentor to emerging talents in the field of the culinary arts.

More about James Beard...