Beard On Bread

Beard On Bread

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,564 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Since the early 1970s, more than 250,000 bread lovers have relied on Beard on Bread to show them exactly how to make the most out-of-this-world breads imaginable. Now, this classic collection of 100 scrumptuous bread recipes is available in a new trade paperback edition featuring more than 90 illustrations by Karl Stuecklen.
Published February 7th 1995 by Knopf (first published 1973)

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter ReinhartBread by Jeffrey HamelmanThe Bread Bible by Rose Levy BeranbaumHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel HadjiandreouBeard On Bread by James Beard
Best Breadmaking Books Ever
5th out of 25 books — 16 voters
Evertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainTender at the Bone by Ruth ReichlComfort Me with Apples by Ruth Reichl
Fabulous Reads for Foodies
27th out of 101 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Sue
Jul 20, 2012 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sue by: anyone who enjoys baking
Shelves: cooking-food
I never think to add cookbooks to my list but when I saw this on a friend's I knew I had to add it to mine. I've had this for years and absolutely love Beard's zucchini bread (has lots of cinnamon).

When I was young and not very bright cooking-wise, and had no fancy cooking equipment, I followed the directions as written. Peel the zucchini then shred it. Have you ever tried to shred water? Well, let's just say I never peeled the zucchini after that first time.
Catharine
I bought this book when it was first published in the early 1970s. It remains one of my favorites. Beard's recipe for gingerbread is still my all-time favorites.
Kirsten
James Beard was one of the finest chefs America has come up with. He was also an excellent teacher--a trait which carries over well into his writing. Added to this, he loved bread. These things taken together make for a significantly useful book on bread making, especially for those with little experience in the field. I particularly hovered over the introduction leading into the basic white bread recipe which contained detailed, concise, and friendly information qualified to send you on your me...more
Deborah
An excellent book on bread baking; a classic from the Master.
Julie
I was cruising around my local thrift store, when I stumbled across this book. I hadn't heard of Beard, but love bread and was enchanted with the cover.

I love this book! Beard includes great recipes, along with his insights about bread - what to pair breads with, how long they will keep, and how to preserve them. His book is as satisfying and as comforting as taking home-made bread out of the oven :)

I like his apricot-walnut bread the most and am looking forward to baking some of the other rec...more
TinyChicken
One of my favorite bread cook books! I haven't made all the different kinds of bread here, but it's got some of my favorite recipes and I love the information he provides about them too.
Anie
Feb 26, 2008 Anie rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: bakers
Fantastic book on bread-baking. It takes you from a simple white loaf to ryes, egg breads, tea breads and rolls. I was impressed by the variety of recipes, from yeast breads to baking powder and fruit breads. In fact, I impressed enough to actually buy my own copy instead of just taking it out from the library.
Terri
Beard takes you through all the steps of baking a wonderful loaf of bread. He explains the "chemistry" of bread baking as well as what went wrong when you don't get a perfect loaf and how to correct the problem.

I got this book when I was first learning to bake and never regretted it.
Phoebe
I've been learning to bake bread through recipes my teacher has pulled from this book. Her copy is, of course, dog-eared and old and many notes. A book worth learning from.

Beard's explanations and directions are clear and readable.
Renee Edelman
One summer in college, I was unemployed for 3 weeks. I picked up this book and taught myself to make bread. My father was actually sad when I found myself a job. A special place in my heart goes to the sour cream white bread.
Liz DeCoster
I may be spoiled by more recent cooking/baking books that have photographs and shiny pages, or maybe I was expecting more from Beard. I just didn't feel compelled to jump up and bake anything from recipes in this book.
Sheila
I like to make my own bread so decided this would be a good book to review. Good suggestions and interesting recipes. Because I have not tried any at this point, it is too early to rate their quality.
Shari Greenman
I've owned this book for a little over 25 years. Beard is very thorough and easy to follow. The banana bread recipe in this is my favorite and the book pops open to the recipe automatically.
Ginna
May 19, 2008 Ginna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ginna by: Mom
Shelves: recipes
From an inveterate cookbook-reader... The illustrations make the basics of bread baking less frightening to inexperienced bakers, and I love Beard's stories. Another plus: the recipes are terrific!
Yvonne
Mar 03, 2008 Yvonne added it
This book gave me a really good overview on bread recipes. By no means is it a professional tutorial on the subject, but I like that Beard is more of a everyman's sort of baker.
Susan
Wonderful! The writing, the history, and certainly the recipes...this book is a treat. And English Muffin Loaf? Yes. Tried and will definitely bake again.
Lisa
This is my bread machine bible until I learn the recipe and then I play around with them to create my own versions!
EXCEPT for my Challah!
Jeanne
I think this gets such a high rating from me since it is THE bread book my mother used to make all our bread when we were growing up.
Catherine Woodman
For a very long time this was my favorite bread book--and the cornmeal millet bread is one I will make my whole life, I predict
Kristina
A real find if you want to know more about the art of baking bread. The recipes are tasty and easy for a beginner bread maker.
Lauren
One of oldest cookbooks - now a collection of pages tied with string. I have prob. made the banana bread over 100 times.
Fredrick Danysh
The master chef James Beard has put together a collection of recipes for bread along with detailed instructions.
Milo Miller
Not really a review, but as I bake more and more bread, I go back to this for inspiration and for it's simplicity.
Joanne Thomson
This is the book the helped me learn how to bake bread so many years ago. I refer back to it often.
Kristopher
A must have for the novice and expert baker alike. I am constantly coming back and consulting this book.
Kathleen
I just needed to let you all know that this book has the best banana bread and zucchini bread recipes ever.
Emily
i crack this open every year for st pats but be careful his irish soda bread calls for a bit too much salt!
Sandra
I am loving this bread baking book. Solid advice and recipes. James Beard is a total classic.
Robin
A bit old fashioned, but a good reference with a recipe for everything.
Amy
I like this book more for the reading than the actual recipes...
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The Tassajara Bread Book
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, And Savor...
  • New York Times Cookbook
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • The Bread Bible
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • Jacques Pépin Fast Food My Way
  • My Bread
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • Mexico One Plate At A Time
  • Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia
  • The New Book of Middle Eastern Food
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking

James Andrew Beard was an American chef and food writer. He is recognized by many as the father of American gastronomy. Throughout his life, he pursued and advocated the highest standards, and served as a mentor to emerging talents in the field of the culinary arts.

More about James Beard...
James Beard's American Cookery Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking James Beard's Theory and Practice Of Good Cooking The James Beard Cookbook Beard on Pasta (James Beard Library of Great American Cooking)