Start by marking “Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)” as Want to Read:
Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)

Almost Dead (San Francisco #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  6,240 ratings  ·  153 reviews
No missing pages, Water Damage, or stains. Spine shows creasing. This is a readable copy.
Published August 1st 2007 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Dead

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
MY Faves!
75th out of 298 books — 179 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettExplosion in Paris by Linda Masemore PirrungThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsOutlander by Diana GabaldonMarley and Me by John Grogan
Winners
15th out of 102 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
I have read many Lisa Jackson books and have liked them all. I found this book to be very long and boring. There seemed to be no plot at all and the ending was predictable. This was one book that I considered not finishing. I was glad when I finally got to the last page.
Vin9
I am so annoyed by these so called "thriller writers" who disguise the book cover and plot on back cover to make the novel seem a first rate thriller whereas the novel is a harlequin romance duplicate with a few pathetic "suspense moments" thrown in.

A few dreadful things about this book-

* Heroine Cissy is a spoilt narcissistic bitch who thinks she is superior to everybody and is clearly rude to all her family members who even care to give her a time of the day.

* For the whiny heroine the only th
Rebecca
I'm not sure I will be reading anymore Lisa Jackson books as I've found the more I read them, the weaker I find them. I felt this one especially was really, really repetitive. Cissy would tell Jack to leave, he would stay, she would accept it. The next morning she would 'come to her senses', he would leave - then return the same day, and she would make weak protests and accept it. Meanwhile her family members are getting bumped off so a bit of the chapter would be about that and how Cissy was pa ...more
Alasandra Alawine
Edge of your seat thriller.

The book opens with a woman in a coma, she can hear but has no way to communicate and is frantic because the doctors are discussing removing her from life support throughout the book we are never sure which of Marla's daughters is in the coma. The book then flashes back to what lead to the woman's condition.

This is a squeal to If She Only Knew. Cissy is grown up married (but separated) to Jack Holt and they have a baby B.J.. At the beginning of the book Cissy's Mother
Teena in Toronto
This was a big book ... there were a lot of pages. Which was fine but it didn't have to be. It could have been cut down a lot.

The writing style was okay. The story was so-so ... kind of convoluted. I didn't buy the ending ... the "whodunnit". At the end, I said "whatever". If I say too much, I'll give it away so I'll leave it at that. And I didn't really care about any of the characters except for Coco, the dog.

Would I recommend it? No.
Mahareni Maldini
Berjam2 stlh bc buku ini,perut msh jg terasa melilit.Ntah krn blm ilang tegangnya,ntah krn emosi tlh diaduk2 tnpa ampun...I dont know.
Mrs. Jackson sukses mnggiring persepsi pmbaca k arah kiri,sdg d akhir crita trkuak klo prsepsi pmbca hrsnya k arah knan.Bnr2 sukses bkin gw trkecoh bangeeet,smp was2.
Stlh bc endingnya...legaaaa.Meski gw msh agak bngung dg motif trjadinya all that crime,tetep deh gw ksih 5.
Alexis
WOW. this book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Literally until the Epilogue. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a book. Just when you think you have bits and pieces figured out it throws you for a loop & then you're like "oh for sure I understand it all now..." NOPE. Definitely recommend if you enjoy Murder Mysteries. Cannot wait to start my next book by this author.
Mirella Grace
Ceritanya tidak seseru buku pertama tentang Marla Cahill. Tapi terus terang saja, cerita tentang Jack Holt bener bener bikin saya penasaran. Seganteng apa sih doi...

Anyway anyhow, another good book from Lisa Jackson. jadi nyadar juga kalo di luar sono mungkin aja ada orang yang psycho seperti Deidre Lawson...
Adreanna
I couldn't even finish this book, sadly. I love Lisa Jackson but this book was so dull. it seemed like the only thing going on was one character complaining about her ex husband. then another character complaining about never leaving the house. someone dies and there is MORE complaining. couldn't finish it
Danielle Gerhart
This book was very good, it caught my attention at the very beginning. I was very confused because of the little parts of the girl in the hospital. At first I didn't know who she was, And when I realized who she was. I was shocked to the bone.
Judith
I was wanting to read a suspense-thriller type of book and I believe Lisa Jackson is good at this. So I picked up this book from Pick a Book in Robinson's Forum where they sell books at low prices. I bought the book for P50.00 and it's as good as new too - a good find.
Almost Dead evolves around Cissy Cahill Holt who is heir to the Cahill fortune after her grandmother, Eugenia Cahill was pushed to death in the Cahill mansion. Cissy's mom, Marla, who was locked in prison, escaped with the help of
Nancy Garcia
From start to finish, this book had me on edge. I thought I knew what was happening, but was thrown for a loop each and every time. Rarely has a book had me as enthralled and second guessing myself as this one did. Cissy, a wealthy heiress who stood to inherit millions, never came across as the spoiled brat others thought she was. Jack, her sexy and handsome husband had me rooting for him since the beginning. If anyone is looking for a quick read that tries your hand at detective work, look no f ...more
Crissy
Lots of interesting plot twists. The author likes comas as the first book in this series deals with a coma a plot line as well. the main character Cissy isn't very well developed and is rather unbelievable. She's got people who she reportable cares for dropping like flies around her and seems rather cold about it. Could have been better but it was an easy read.
Lisa
Nov 13, 2007 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested :]
This is the book I just finished. It is about a murderous woman who's set off to kill every member of the Cahill family. Cissy Cahill just realized her grandmother was pushed to her death. Fearing for her family's safety, she begins to trust her soon-to-be ex-husband again. Sure enough, the killer strucks again. This time it was Marla's, Cissy's mother and an escaped prisoner, brother who's life is sacrificed. A heavy overdose it was said. Rory Amhurst died of anaphylactic shock. Cissy is now d ...more
Vanessa
The end with it's nice twist and surprising villain bumped this book up from 2 stars to 3.

The characters were ok, but not memorable. The inclusion of a character on life support was slightly odd to me, since the character was, according to the doctors, in a brain-dead state and yet their brain was active and pleading for anyone to notice it was so. Was the author trying to intimate something here about coma - brain dead patients being alive even when all outward appearances show they are not? I
Debbie

The story was good. The main character was a bit whiny. I liked that it used some of the same characters that had appeared in one of her other books. I have now read 3 of Jackson's books. They are good for a fast vacation read.
Tess Mertens-Johnson
This is the story of Cissy Cahill Holt and how her family begins to be killed off. The storyline kept my interest and the plot was good. The romance of Cissy getting back with her husband seemed to almost mean he was after the money...he was my first choice for the killer....
I liked how they brought out the dirty laundry on even the well to do with her mother being in prison. I did not see the ending coming, which I like in a mystery. I am a big mystery buff and most of the time can find out who
Teri
Wow! Great book. Lisa Jackson is one of my favorite authors so I was a little surprised when I had a hard time getting into this book during the first half of it. It wasn't horrible, but it just didn't grab me with the force most of her books do. That is, until about half way through it when it seemed to pick up and get really good. So glad we had a snow day so I could finish the last fourth of the book in one sitting without having to put it down. Totally surprised at the end when I realized pa ...more
Betty Gallagher
So well done I could not figure out who-dun-it. Really enjoyed the twists.
Sandi
A wonderful mystery! Can't wait to read all of her books!
Marti
Usually I find Lisa Jackson's books to be taut and thrilling from the start, but this one seemed rather flabby at first. The heroine, Cissy Cahill Holt's character referred to her soon to be ex-husband's aftershave fragrance three or four times. The mother seemed at first to be more of a villainess, but sort of wimped out. There were some suspenseful scenes, but overall, I was disappointed in the character development. I left the paperback at a Hardee's in southern Virginia--hopefully it will be ...more
April
Only partially what I imagined.
Rachel Nowakowski
Wasn't that impressed with this. It just didn't grab me. I think I might have taken exception to the fact that the main character seemed a bit pushed around and capitulating to the male protagonist. Too romantic heroine for me. I also felt it was a bit farfetched in the plotline as well.
Erica Vlahavas
Kept me guessing!
Viki
Loved the twists in this one!!
Jean
Another great thriller by author Lisa Jackson. Once again, I realized I had read it in the past, but continued to reread as it was a great story. Cissy Holt is on the verge of divorcing her husband when her grandmother is murdered. This is only the beginning of a string of murders of family members. Of course, there is a large inheritance involved in the mix and Cissy's mother, who has escaped from prison, add to the plot of the story. You will have to read to find out the rest of the story.
Suzie
This book kept me guessing almost to the end. I was afraid I wouldn't like the book at first since is started out as present day then went back 4 weeks, but it was actually a wonderful book. I would have liked to have seen a little bit more of Cissy and Jack's relationship being patched up, but that's the romance lover coming out of me. The myster/thriller side of this book was wonderful. By far, this was the Lisa Jackson book that has kept me guessing about the murderer longer than any others.
Kittiya
Jan 20, 2009 Kittiya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: looking for murder mystery
Recommended to Kittiya by: Librarian
It's been a long time since I've read a book like this. I was able to figure out who who was the murderer, and what had happened to the person who was supposedly her accomplice, Even still this story had so many twists and turns. I felt it was a good pace. I have a small child so it can be hard to follow stories with too many stops and starts. This book I didn't seem to have that problem... well as much! lol The ending was a shocking surprising for me I really didn't see that coming!
Whitney
I enjoy Lisa Jackson books for the most part. There are always a lot of twists and unexpected turns. This was no exception. There was one part of the story that really suprised me. It takes you one direction only to discover later on that it wasn't quiet as you thought. I liked that. Once again there was a lot of family conspiracy, dating back through generations. She seems to use that story line a lot. It was enjoyable and unpredictable an overall good, quick read.
Lorie
This wasn't my favorite of Jackson's books. It was an ok read, and a bit suspenseful in spots, but I thought it seemed a little predictable. There was one twist that I didn't figure out until pretty late in the book (somewhere just before the last chapter), but the rest seemed too obvious to me. Maybe I just read too many of this type of book these days. :)
I'm glad she's keeping the New Orleans characters going in other books, though.
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Dark Summer
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5)
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian #1)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake #2)
  • Picture Me Dead
Lisa Jackson and her sister, Nancy Bush, grew up in a small timber town in Oregon. She attended Oregon State University and later worked in the banking industry.
In 1983, Jackson's first novel, A Twist of Fate, was published by Silhouette Books. Currently, Jackson writes contemporary romantic suspense novels for Kensington Books and medieval romantic suspense novels for Onyx Books. Her books regul
More about Lisa Jackson...
Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4) Malice (New Orleans, #6) Chosen To Die (To Die, #2) Left To Die (To Die, #1) Shiver (New Orleans #3)