Start by marking “Blindman's Bluff (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #18)” as Want to Read:
Blindman's Bluff (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #18)

Blindman's Bluff (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus #18)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,104 Ratings  ·  299 Reviews

As a lieutenant in the LAPD, homicide detective Peter Decker doesn't get many calls at 3 a.m. unless a case is nasty, sensational—or both. Someone has broken into the exclusive Coyote Ranch compound of billionaire developer Guy Kaffey and viciously gunned him down, along with his wife and four employees.

A well-known figure on both the business and society pages, Kaffey

Published August 11th 2009 by William Morrow & Company (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blindman's Bluff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blindman's Bluff

Paulo Pires
Jun 29, 2016 Paulo Pires rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
4,3

«Peter Deck, inspector-coordenador de homicídios é acordado às 3h da manha: apesar da forte segurança, um magnata da construção foi assassinado junto com alguns membros da sua família. Gil Kaffey, um dos filhos, foi o único sobrevivente, que bastante combalido étransportado para o Hospital. Poderá ele explicar o que aconteceu?

No decorrer da investigação de Peter descobre que o magnata tinha como seguranças delinquentes que de alguma forma tinham relações com um perigoso gang chamado Bodega 12
Maria Clara
No tengo mucho a decir, la verdad, solo que a medida que iba leyendo tenía la sensación de que la historia podía ser una de esas series de televisión que están tan de moda. Una donde se muestra los problemas de una comisaría de policías y la vida cotidiana de su protagonista, con su familia.
Marleen
Jan 16, 2012 Marleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faye-kellerman
If I weren’t such a fan of Peter & Rina Decker, I might find this quite a mediocre read. Fortunately I’ve read all the previous books and I’ve been familiar with all the main players literally for years. That simply means that I can’t be a 100% objective. It’s difficult to see the flaws when you’ve adored a character for so long. Peter Decker is simply unique. First of all, he's a very decent guy. He's also tenacious, strong-willed and protective of those he loves. He’s so appealing because ...more
Becca
Nov 12, 2009 Becca rated it it was ok
I don't know if I am getting pickier as I get older or what, but it seems like authors that I use to really enjoy are writing some sloppy books lately. Grisham, Stuart Woods, and now Faye Kellerman. I end up reading them only out of loyalty to the characters from past books.

The dialogue in this was downright painful at times. The murder mystery kept following new leads but none of them ever seemed to make a difference in solving the case till the very end. Peter and Rina had no spark to their ch
Sonia Cristina
Acabei este livro hoje ainda, antes de vir para o trabalho; ontem adormeci a menos de 10 páginas do final. ::)

A sinopse deixou-me entusiasmada mas assim que comecei a ler não gostei da escrita; é muito sem-emoção, sem-sentimento, são só palavras. Ao contrário do que é usual, este livro é cheio de diálogos, tem muito poucos parágrafos narrativos. Normalmente esperaria que isto tornasse a leitura melhor mas senti a falta de descrições.

Lá para o último terço do livro é que as coisas se tornam melho
Caitlin
May 25, 2011 Caitlin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I've written before about books as comfort food and Faye Kellerman is on that list for me. She writes smart, complicated crime fiction and I just love her primary series characters, Pete Decker and Rina Lazarus. If she's got a new book on the shelf, I'm reading it.

As with any series some books are better than others. I found Blindman's Bluff to be quite satisfying with just enough of the elements needed to make it an entertaining escapist read.

I'm back and forth on the aging of this series' char
Jessica
Sep 06, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
I've read this entire series and while some books are better than others, Kellerman keeps the pages turning and her characters age in real time, which makes it fun to follow their lives and adventures. Peter Decker is a homicide lieutenant with the LAPD and solves murders--he and his wife, Rina, are religious Jews and their culture and family life often figure in the stories. The basics of this one are familiar to anyone who reads crime fiction: someone murders a wealthy man, his wife and severa ...more
Robin
Aug 19, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it
The rating of this book depends on why you're reading it. If you're reading because you're a Rina Lazarus/Peter Decker (and friends) fan and you want to catch up, it is a solid 4. If you're reading for a good, suspenseful mystery....it's a solid 3, possibly 3.5.

This isn't one of Kellerman's best mysteries. From the very beginning, you can make a pretty solid guess about who is behind the murder. She tries to throw you off with a few events, but all the information is right there in front of you
Donna
Aug 31, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it
The latest book about the character of Peter Decker, a LAPD homicide detective, is a good as the previous blockbusters. Decker is awakened at 3 am to oversee the crime scene investigation of the slaying of a billionaire and his family. Since the Kaffeys had four on site guards as well as a state of the art security system at the ranch, it is obvious that the murder is an inside job. Meanwhile, Decker's wife, Rina, is called for jury duty. While she is on a break, a blindman approaches and asks h ...more
Bob
Aug 16, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it
Lt. Decker has another case to solve. A very rich developer and his wife, 2 guards and a maid are killed on his well guarded estate and one son is severely wounded. 2 other guards are missing and there are a number of suspects both in and out of the family. Decker's wife Rina is picked for jury duty and while awaiting in the hall following a break is asked by a translator for the court to describe two men he hears talking near by, which brings her into Decker's case as well. I always like the De ...more
Carl Alves
Apr 16, 2016 Carl Alves rated it liked it
In Blindman’s Bluff, an extremely wealthy family is gunned down at their ranch. The son survives but is in serious condition. Peter Decker and his team of detectives are in charge of the case. In addition, a couple of the guards go missing. It’s pretty clear early on that this was an inside job, and the person ultimately responsible is someone who is a member of the family. Decker’s wife gets in the middle of it when a blind man working at the court where she is doing jury duty overhears a coupl ...more
Tracy Terry
Book 18 in the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series. Whilst each of the books deals with a separate case I strongly recommend that they be read in order as as well as the crimes themselves the books predictably follow family life in the Decker/Lazarus household, the earlier ones in particular dealing with Peter's journey into orthodox Judaism after he discovers his birth parents were Jewish.

Still not quite on track after what I felt was the somewhat disappointing Cold Case (Book 17 in the series).

W
Cristi Schwamb
Not my favorite Faye Kellerman, perhaps because I wasn't paying enough attention to keep all the characters straight. It seemed like too many likely suspects and then one was picked at the end to wrap up all the loose ends.
Ed
Dec 29, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
#18 in the Peter Decker / Rina Lazarus mystery series. Peter converted to Judaism after meeting Rina Lazarus, they eventually marries and keep an Orthodox Jewish lifestyle to which Peter has been able to accommodate the demands of being an LAPD Homicide lieutenant. Both were previously married and the series with its mentions of their merged family, his, hers and theirs is dependably enjoyable.

Peter Decker / Rina Lazarus mystery - Decker is investigating multiple killings at the ranch of a famil
Ellen
Apr 02, 2016 Ellen rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, library, 2016
I’d never heard of this author or this series but realise now that this was number 18 in the series. I don't know if having read earlier books would have increased my pleasure but I found it quite an interesting read though I did find all the religious references bewildering. The details about the bread were a step too far for my liking. And, while the murder mystery was uppermost, there was also a great deal about Decker’s family life which seemed unrelated to the plot. At times it seemed that ...more
Afsana
Jun 15, 2011 Afsana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this it was great for them to have ideas and of who did and see how they connected the dots.

i have loved the series and will continue reading
Yelania Nightwalker

Es la primera vez que leo a esta autora y cuando vi en goodreads que este es el libro 18 de la serie, me asusté un poco. Es decir, es una novela que puede leerse de manera independiente pero yo soy muy quisquillosa con eso y luego quiero saber de dónde viene cada personaje y cómo ha evolucionado en el tiempo.

De cualquier manera, Desde la oscuridad me ha dejado sorprendida; si bien es cierto que desde el inicio imaginé quién estaba detrás de todo y así resultó ser; debo reconocer que la manera

Val
Mar 14, 2015 Val rated it liked it
The basic story is good but it gets lost somewhere. Too many clues going nowhere. I like the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus novels and there are some gritty details but this one falls short.

Decker receives a call in the early hours to summon him to a billionaire's ranch where a massacre has occurred. Meanwhile, his wife is on a jury for another case where a blind translator becomes involved with her husband's case in error. He overhears a conversation in the court corridors which directly relates to
Pauline
Aug 17, 2013 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Once more a great read by this author. This is no 18 in the s we ties and is still as good as the first.
Betty
Apr 09, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
Peter Decker is awakened in the middle of the night by a phone call to alert him of multiple murder scene of high profile family. Guy and Gillian Kaffey are both kill along with a maid and two bodyguards. Two more guards are missing. Gill Kaffey is severely wounded. Meanwhile Rina is doing jury duty. She overhears a conversation about the killings and becomes interested in the case. Decker is not happy about Rina's involvement.
A task is form to solve the murders and Decker is in charge. The sear
Chris
Didn't care for this one. Not sure if I even know who killed the family and why.

From the book cover:

LAPD homicide detective Peter Decker and his wife, Rina Lazarus, will be blindsided by a brutal multiple murder in this twisting tale of suspense from New York Times bestselling author Faye Kellerman. Someone has broken into the exclusive Coyote Ranch compound of billionaire developer Guy Kaffey and viciously gunned him down, along with his wife and four employees. It doesn't take long for Peter
Robin
Aug 20, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys mystery/suspense
Recommended to Robin by: goodread win
I am happy I won this book via Goodreads - I just found a new author! I need to go to her earlier books when Peter and Rina were first introduced.

I enjoyed Decker, Rina and Hannah they were comfortable characters and I enjoyed the banter and the family dynamics. The rest of the characters were likable - some a little odd, but no one that shows up on a page and you wish they weren't in the book.

Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus are married and they have one daughter Hannah. Rina is chosen for jury du
Cheryl
Nov 08, 2010 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blindman's Bluff by Faye Kellerman
Published by Harper Collins
ISBN 978--06-170241-9
At the request of Bestsellersworld, a PB copy was sent, at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.
Review format at the request of Bestsellersworld.
Detective Lieutenant Peter Decker, LAPD Homicide, and his wife Rina Lazarus are awakened to a late night call. As Rina hands him the phone, knowing that this is going to bad for the force to call "The Loo" during the night. And she was right. Not only does he come upon a g
Nancy
Aug 27, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
Kellerman delivers with another meaty mystery: the murder of a wealthy business owner and his wife, the wounding of one of their sons, and the murder of a maid.

On a family compound with over seventy acres, personal employees numbering in the dozens--many of whom have criminal records and gang connections--and some of whom have gone missing, as well as a number of business connections, including family, with possible motives, Lt. Peter Decker and his team are seriously challenged.

As Peter is wo
Caitlin
May 27, 2011 Caitlin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011

Los Angeles skyline and San Gabriel mountains.Los An
Alex
Dec 25, 2014 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
"Blindman's Bluff" by Faye Kellerman is book 18 of the Rina Lazarus/Peter Decker series. It's a reasonably good Jewish murder mystery but the characters are getting a little long in the tooth. And other than mentioning the occasional conflict between modernity and Orthodox Judaism and a good suggestion for baking challah bread, the Jewish aspects of the novel are muted.

The story: A mass killing has occurred on a rich family's estate and the prime suspects are naturally the sons who are also part
Surreysmum
I'd call this a competent procedural, rather than an outstanding one. The primary irritant was a certain sloppiness in the writing: there were frequent sentence fragments in the narrative prose (while obviously dialogue has a whole different set of rules). And there were occasional word choice problems that should have been picked up by a reasonably conscientious copy-editor. That said, the plot unfolded well enough, and the southern California setting and the realities of the rich landowner and ...more
Johannes
Nov 13, 2013 Johannes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi-romans, 10
Bis zum Ende des Buches bleibt unklar, wer die Täter sind und wer dahinten steckt.
Faye Kellerman spielt in diesem Buch so gekonnt mit den Möglichkeiten, dass man ständig auf eine falsche Fährte geführt wird. Immer wenn man meint, nun zu wissen, wer der Täter ist, wendet sich die Geschichte und muss man neue Überlegungen anstellen, genau wie Lt. Decker.
Nebenbei gerät dabei auch Decker seiner Familie im Visier der Täter und seine Frau und Tochter müssen fliehen und sonstwo Unterschlupf finden.
Wied
Mary Lou
Jul 02, 2011 Mary Lou rated it it was ok
Thrilled by Books
Jan 27, 2012 Thrilled by Books rated it really liked it
I'm having a hard time finding things to say about this particular novel and not because it was bad. It's more so that I am in awe that someone can write such a smart, complicated, and detail oriented police procedural. Faye Kellerman is really a brilliant, intellectual crime writer.
However, even though I can appreciate the amount of thought and time it would seem to take to develop a story such as this one, it is not without it's discrepancies. I found some of the relationships between some ch
  • True Detectives
  • Hardball (V.I. Warshawski, #13)
  • The Genius
  • Lethal Legacy (Alexandra Cooper, #11)
Faye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, THE RITUAL BATH, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers ...more
More about Faye Kellerman...

Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1)
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
  • Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #3)
  • Day of Atonement (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #4)
  • False Prophet (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #5)
  • Grievous Sin (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #6)
  • Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #7)
  • Justice (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #8)
  • Prayers for the Dead (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #9)
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)