Start by marking “The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6: 1961-1962” as Want to Read:
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6: 1961-1962

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6: 1961-1962 (Complete Peanuts #6)

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  732 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Launching into the 1960s, Schulz adds another new cast member. Two, in fact: The obnoxious Frieda of "naturally curly hair" fame, and her inert, seemingly boneless cat Faron. The rapidly maturing Sally, who was after all just born in the previous volume, is ready to start kindergarten and not at all happy about it. Lucy and Linus' war over the security blanket escalates, w ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Fantagraphics Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 2 by Charles M. SchulzThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8 by Charles M. SchulzCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1 by Charles M. SchulzThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 7 by Charles M. Schulz
If you like these books you are cool
6th out of 132 books — 14 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Last Straw by Jeff KinneyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud
395th out of 1,300 books — 1,804 voters

More lists with this book...

Susie
this collection is enormous.
by 1961, charles schulz definitely had hit his stride with his characters and while some gags repeat unhumorously (the naturally curly hair girl) mostly, i feel his characters blend the perfect amount of cynicism with hope, earnest with sarcastic, cruel with kind. i love getting lost in their world.
Janne Varvára
In the introduction to this volume, Diana Krall talks about how the universal characters of Peanuts apply to our lives in the sense that we all can identify (she seeing some of herself in the exasperated musician Schroeder), and also how we all have a Lucy or a Charlie Brown in our lives.
That is so true.

Personally, I have a lot of Charlie Brown in me. I recognize his insecurities and doubts, and fight them every day; he was the character that first made me pick up volume after volume, because we
Rick
Jan 12, 2008 Rick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Schultz is in his prime and the strips are wonderful much more often that not. Even the missteps are engaging, the arrival of Frieda of the naturally curly hair, for example, and the first serious escapades between Snoopy and birds around his doghouse. Sally Brown, a very self-possessed cynic, is nobody’s fool, the opposite of her poor elder brother and is a star of this volume, as is the eye-ware wearing Linus, Violet, Lucy, of course, and Schroeder. Near the end of 1962, an event of the day in ...more
Scott
This sixth volume of the collected Peanuts covers 1961 and 1962 - years filled with lots of changes and drama, the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban Missle Crisis, the building of the Berlin Wall - none of which gets the slightest acknowledgement in the pages of Peanuts. Which is one of the reasons that it lent itself to being recycled after Schulz stopped writing new strips, Peanuts is ageless. While there's an occasional reference to the world outside, like the Civil War caps that some of them are wearin ...more
Nathaniel
I was given this box set as a gift and am so grateful for it. I read Peanuts all the time when I was young and always loved them--there was a time when my brother and I would only give each other Peanuts volumes as birthday and Christmas gifts. But now that I'm older, the thing I was most interested in identifying was what it was about the comics--and the characters and the story lines--in Peanuts that struck me so when I was a kid? I know I thought they were funny and a little irreverent and to ...more
Jordan
In this collection of Peanuts, we are introduced to a new character; Frieda. She is kind of annoying, as she always thinks people are jealous of her "naturally curly hair" and believes her hair to be the reason for everything. Her and Snoopy also have a bit of a difference of opinion. All the other characters are the same as before; Lucy is a bit mean, Charlie Brown is still wishy-washy, linus is still rather deep, schroeder still loves beethoven and Snoopy is still... unique.

I picked this book
Rugg Ruggedo
This where the comic strip begins to look very much like the TV specials we all came to know and love. Lucy's psychiatric booth became a regular thing, Linus and the blanket became a regular story line, Snoopy was discovered by the Red Baron and things never were the same after that.
Probably most of the material from the baseball special and the Halloween and Christmas shows appeared during these years and the next volume. Marcie and Peppermint Patty became regulars and Snoopy became friends wit
Max
As we get into the 1960s, Charles Schulz introduces Frieda into the Peanuts universe, has Sally Brown grow up and sets the groundwork for Snoopy's friendship with birds.

Frieda is a character who eventually fades out of focus later on in Peanuts run - after all, her distinguishing characteristic is her naturally curly hair (which she brings up constantly). Still, the early strips where she appears are quite enjoyable, especially when we meet her cat, Faron.

Snoopy also becomes more involved with b
Matti Karjalainen
Charles M. Schulzin "Complete Peanuts 1961-1962" (Fantagraphics, 2006) tarjoilee jälleen kahden vuoden paketin maailman parasta sarjakuvaa. Näiden kahden vuoden aikana runsaasti ruututilaa saavat Epun riepu, joka joutuu niin Tellun hautaamaksi kuin merelle saakka leijailevan leijan raaka-aineeksi, sekä Jaska Jokusen kipparoima, alati häviävä baseball-joukkue. Vuonna 1961 kuvioihin astuu myös kohtalaisen merkittävä sivuhenkilö, luonnonkiharoista hiuksistaan ylpeä Kutri (Frieda).

Suomeksi näitä sar
Rudj
Si entra nel periodo di maggiore splendore della striscia, periodo che andrà avanti per una decina di anni. Quando Eco e Vittorini parlavano dei Peanuts parlavano di QUESTI Peanuts. Ormai i personaggi son perfettamente delineati, la striscia sviluppa al massimo quella vena di poesia e di amarezza che che si era già delineata nei primi volumi (e si perderà piu avanti), arrivano Sally e gli ultimi "tormentoni" che mancavano. Acquisto obbligato per chiunque ama il... per chiunque e basta :P.
The other John
Another two years in the history of Peanuts. 'Tis amusing stuff, of course. The only thing that struck me about this particular collection was that these years saw many of the gags that were swiped for A Charlie Brown Christmas. I wonder if I would have enjoyed the special as much if I had been ten years older and familiar with the originals. Anyway, it's classic stuff, well worth checking out.
Jay Gabler
The Complete Peanuts project by Fantagraphics is one of the great joys of my life. The only problem with presenting the entire run of Peanuts in chronological order is that it peaked (in my opinion, and I think the opinion of most) in the mid/late 1960s...so the series will end with fifteen volumes of steady decline. Oh well, that's life.
Lee Anne
Finally! After buying a house, opening a new B&N, and Christmas, this one sat on my nightstand for about 5 months. I usually read a Peanuts volume when I'm caught up on my magazines, and I finally got there this week.

This volume introduces Frieda, of naturally curly hair fame. Linus gets glasses. It's all great.
Minnie
Sep 18, 2008 Minnie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comic strip fans, readers of Calvin and Hobbes, dyed-in -the-wool Peanut devotees
I'm greedy, I received both books today so I'm reading them together but in different places.
And what a joy! For the truly converted Peanut fans words to describe the humour, life philosophies and down right funny remarks, are unnecessary. For the uninitiated, a new world lies ahead, enjoy!
Heather
(Please note: I am going on fuzzy memory here. Forgive any errors.)

While everything was exciting and new to see in the 50s with this series, the 60s mostly seemed a little bland with a couple of exceptions. Hence, only four stars. : )
jacky
Particularly liked this volume, though the introduction wasn't as strong as the previous installments. Like the last one, this volume had a lot of material I was familiar with from the movie specials.
J.
The plotline with Lucy burying Linus' blanket was one of my favorites as a kid. As an adult, one of my favorites is when the baseball team decides it's hypocritical to support Charlie Brown.
Sue
Dec 19, 2008 Sue added it
Shelves: booksiveread
It was kind of cool to read the Peanuts cartoon that was published the day I was born. A Great Pumpkin cartoon. Figures, when you are born Halloween week.
Angela
The girl with naturally curly hair makes an appearance. Charlie Brown still can't win a baseball game.

Great comic strips lovingly restored.
Allison
A cat was in peanuts. I never knew a cat made an appearance. Lucys's shrink stand makes an appearance. Sally's talking.
Nicole West
HILARIOUS. Gotta luv peanuts! Lucy and her shenanigans! Charlie and his mishaps...Linus and his habits. I LOVE IT
It seems like this was when the Peanuts really began to hit its stride. Very enjoyable collection.
Mike Jensen
Superb comics, and the search for Shakespeare references continues.
Brent
See my review of The Complete Peanuts Vol. 1
Elijah
Halarious!!!
Vida
Pure genius.
Jacob Adams
Jacob Adams marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Popeye, Vol. 1: I Yam What I Yam!
  • Krazy and Ignatz, 1925-1926: There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay
  • Baby Blues: This Is Going to Be Harder Than We Thought
  • How Come I'm Always Luigi?: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 2: 1982-1984
  • Garfield Makes It Big (Garfield, #10)
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • Race to Death Valley (Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse, Vol. 1)
  • Little Nemo: 1905-1914
  • Cul de Sac: This Exit
209672
Charles Monroe Schulz was an American cartoonist, whose comic strip Peanuts proved one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium, and is still widely reprinted on a daily basis.

Schulz's first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1950 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there, although he applied the name in
More about Charles M. Schulz...
A Charlie Brown Christmas The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952 The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 2: 1953-1954 The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 3: 1955-1956 It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

“A kiss on the nose does much toward turning aside anger.” 42 likes
“For one brief moment victory was within our grasp!"
"And then the game started!”
39 likes