Start by marking “The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6: 1961-1962” as Want to Read:
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6: 1961-1962

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6: 1961-1962 (The Complete Peanuts #6)

4.59  ·  Rating Details ·  1,004 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Launching into the 1960s, Schulz adds another new cast member. Two, in fact: The obnoxious Frieda of "naturally curly hair" fame, and her inert, seemingly boneless cat Faron. The rapidly maturing Sally, who was after all just born in the previous volume, is ready to start kindergarten and not at all happy about it. Lucy and Linus' war over the security blanket escalates, w ...more
Published November 17th 2006 by Fantagraphics (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6

Susie
Apr 10, 2008 Susie rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-commented
this collection is enormous.
by 1961, charles schulz definitely had hit his stride with his characters and while some gags repeat unhumorously (the naturally curly hair girl) mostly, i feel his characters blend the perfect amount of cynicism with hope, earnest with sarcastic, cruel with kind. i love getting lost in their world.
Spencer Borup
Jun 02, 2015 Spencer Borup rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I took a big break in the middle of reading this book, but that's okay. Because... THE PEANUTS MOVIE was released and I saw it twice! In theaters! Don't judge me! It was perfect! I wrote a whole review about it, and hopefully I'll post a link to that soon.

ANYWAYS. The '60s saw the cast of Peanuts grow quite a bit, in many ways. The already-large cast of Charlie & Sally Brown, Snoopy, Lucy & Linus van Pelt, Schroeder, Patty, Violet, Shermy, and "Pig-Pen," was joined by the "natur
Sammy
Nov 20, 2016 Sammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Some of the glory days of Schulz's work: educational, at times political, whimsical, and a classic collection of characters. Best read over time (I tend to read a couple of weeks' worth before bed most nights) rather than lapped up, unless of course you are a complete addict. Already the series has come a long way from its roots, but still retains a hefty chunk of the philosophy and simplicity of the early days. I don't believe there had been any television or film specials by this point, so the ...more
J.V. Seem
Jan 17, 2011 J.V. Seem rated it it was amazing
In the introduction to this volume, Diana Krall talks about how the universal characters of Peanuts apply to our lives in the sense that we all can identify (she seeing some of herself in the exasperated musician Schroeder), and also how we all have a Lucy or a Charlie Brown in our lives.
That is so true.

Personally, I have a lot of Charlie Brown in me. I recognize his insecurities and doubts, and fight them every day; he was the character that first made me pick up volume after volume, because we
Nathaniel
Sep 19, 2012 Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
I was given this box set as a gift and am so grateful for it. I read Peanuts all the time when I was young and always loved them--there was a time when my brother and I would only give each other Peanuts volumes as birthday and Christmas gifts. But now that I'm older, the thing I was most interested in identifying was what it was about the comics--and the characters and the story lines--in Peanuts that struck me so when I was a kid? I know I thought they were funny and a little irreverent and to ...more
Scott
Jul 31, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
This sixth volume of the collected Peanuts covers 1961 and 1962 - years filled with lots of changes and drama, the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban Missle Crisis, the building of the Berlin Wall - none of which gets the slightest acknowledgement in the pages of Peanuts. Which is one of the reasons that it lent itself to being recycled after Schulz stopped writing new strips, Peanuts is ageless. While there's an occasional reference to the world outside, like the Civil War caps that some of them are wearin ...more
Rick
Jan 12, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Schultz is in his prime and the strips are wonderful much more often that not. Even the missteps are engaging, the arrival of Frieda of the naturally curly hair, for example, and the first serious escapades between Snoopy and birds around his doghouse. Sally Brown, a very self-possessed cynic, is nobody’s fool, the opposite of her poor elder brother and is a star of this volume, as is the eye-ware wearing Linus, Violet, Lucy, of course, and Schroeder. Near the end of 1962, an event of the day in ...more
Max
Jun 28, 2013 Max rated it really liked it
As we get into the 1960s, Charles Schulz introduces Frieda into the Peanuts universe, has Sally Brown grow up and sets the groundwork for Snoopy's friendship with birds.

Frieda is a character who eventually fades out of focus later on in Peanuts run - after all, her distinguishing characteristic is her naturally curly hair (which she brings up constantly). Still, the early strips where she appears are quite enjoyable, especially when we meet her cat, Faron.

Snoopy also becomes more involved with b
Rugg Ruggedo
Dec 15, 2013 Rugg Ruggedo rated it it was amazing
This where the comic strip begins to look very much like the TV specials we all came to know and love. Lucy's psychiatric booth became a regular thing, Linus and the blanket became a regular story line, Snoopy was discovered by the Red Baron and things never were the same after that.
Probably most of the material from the baseball special and the Halloween and Christmas shows appeared during these years and the next volume. Marcie and Peppermint Patty became regulars and Snoopy became friends wit
Matti Karjalainen
Charles M. Schulzin "Complete Peanuts 1961-1962" (Fantagraphics, 2006) tarjoilee jälleen kahden vuoden paketin maailman parasta sarjakuvaa. Näiden kahden vuoden aikana runsaasti ruututilaa saavat Epun riepu, joka joutuu niin Tellun hautaamaksi kuin merelle saakka leijailevan leijan raaka-aineeksi, sekä Jaska Jokusen kipparoima, alati häviävä baseball-joukkue. Vuonna 1961 kuvioihin astuu myös kohtalaisen merkittävä sivuhenkilö, luonnonkiharoista hiuksistaan ylpeä Kutri (Frieda).

Suomeksi näitä sar
The other John
Mar 10, 2008 The other John rated it liked it
Another two years in the history of Peanuts. 'Tis amusing stuff, of course. The only thing that struck me about this particular collection was that these years saw many of the gags that were swiped for A Charlie Brown Christmas. I wonder if I would have enjoyed the special as much if I had been ten years older and familiar with the originals. Anyway, it's classic stuff, well worth checking out.
Rudj
Nov 06, 2010 Rudj rated it it was amazing
Si entra nel periodo di maggiore splendore della striscia, periodo che andrà avanti per una decina di anni. Quando Eco e Vittorini parlavano dei Peanuts parlavano di QUESTI Peanuts. Ormai i personaggi son perfettamente delineati, la striscia sviluppa al massimo quella vena di poesia e di amarezza che che si era già delineata nei primi volumi (e si perderà piu avanti), arrivano Sally e gli ultimi "tormentoni" che mancavano. Acquisto obbligato per chiunque ama il... per chiunque e basta :P.
Matt R. R.
Jan 08, 2015 Matt R. R. rated it it was amazing
Vintage classic Peanuts from the early 60's...few things are better than this. One of the things I enjoyed most was seeing the comics that so much material was pulled from to create A Charlie Brown Christmas and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! -- so many bits were pulled word-for-word from the comics in this book! I'd say that all of Schulz's 50's, 60's, and 70's Peanuts material is more or less essential, and this volume especially so. Just plain fun.
Lee Anne
Jun 21, 2008 Lee Anne rated it it was amazing
Finally! After buying a house, opening a new B&N, and Christmas, this one sat on my nightstand for about 5 months. I usually read a Peanuts volume when I'm caught up on my magazines, and I finally got there this week.

This volume introduces Frieda, of naturally curly hair fame. Linus gets glasses. It's all great.
Philip
Jul 31, 2015 Philip rated it it was amazing
I loved Diana Krall's Introduction and Ray Bradbury's jacket blurb. I felt like , How could I lose? It was a wonderful journey to 1961, and with a few exceptions each comic was timeless. And an index! It list "augh", " rats" and of course "good grief". I need another from the series. Forward or backward in time?
Jay Gabler
Aug 12, 2007 Jay Gabler rated it it was amazing
The Complete Peanuts project by Fantagraphics is one of the great joys of my life. The only problem with presenting the entire run of Peanuts in chronological order is that it peaked (in my opinion, and I think the opinion of most) in the mid/late 1960s...so the series will end with fifteen volumes of steady decline. Oh well, that's life.
Minnie
Aug 07, 2008 Minnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic strip fans, readers of Calvin and Hobbes, dyed-in -the-wool Peanut devotees
I'm greedy, I received both books today so I'm reading them together but in different places.
And what a joy! For the truly converted Peanut fans words to describe the humour, life philosophies and down right funny remarks, are unnecessary. For the uninitiated, a new world lies ahead, enjoy!
Heather
Mar 05, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
(Please note: I am going on fuzzy memory here. Forgive any errors.)

While everything was exciting and new to see in the 50s with this series, the 60s mostly seemed a little bland with a couple of exceptions. Hence, only four stars. : )
jacky
Apr 22, 2013 jacky rated it really liked it
Particularly liked this volume, though the introduction wasn't as strong as the previous installments. Like the last one, this volume had a lot of material I was familiar with from the movie specials.
Sue
Dec 19, 2008 Sue added it
Shelves: booksiveread
It was kind of cool to read the Peanuts cartoon that was published the day I was born. A Great Pumpkin cartoon. Figures, when you are born Halloween week.
Erik
Dec 02, 2014 Erik rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-strips
Schulz had really hit his stride with art and writing going into the second decade of Peanuts. Everything still feels fresh. Snoopy is taking on a bigger role but hasn't taken over the strip yet.
Mike Jensen
Jun 08, 2009 Mike Jensen rated it it was amazing
Superb comics, and the search for Shakespeare references continues.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it it was amazing
False
Dominick
Feb 01, 2016 Dominick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-strips, humour
Classic. Schulz is in full swing here, hitting it out of the part most of the time with his patented mix of humour, whimsy, cynicism, and melancholy.
J.
Feb 26, 2011 J. rated it really liked it
The plotline with Lucy burying Linus' blanket was one of my favorites as a kid. As an adult, one of my favorites is when the baseball team decides it's hypocritical to support Charlie Brown.
Allison
Apr 08, 2012 Allison rated it liked it
A cat was in peanuts. I never knew a cat made an appearance. Lucys's shrink stand makes an appearance. Sally's talking.
Steve
Dec 21, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Some really nice arcs in these years, but less consistently enjoyable than the previous volumes.
Vida
Shelves: peanuts
See my review of The Complete Peanuts Vol. 1
Angela
Mar 16, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing
The girl with naturally curly hair makes an appearance. Charlie Brown still can't win a baseball game.

Great comic strips lovingly restored.
  • Popeye, Vol. 1: I Yam What I Yam!
  • She Started It!
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 2: Trapped on Treasure Island
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 2: 1982-1984
  • Krazy and Ignatz, 1925-1926: There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay
  • Cul de Sac: This Exit
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • Unnatural Selections
  • How Come I'm Always Luigi?: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Prince Valiant, Vol. 1: 1937-1938
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
209672
Charles Monroe Schulz was an American cartoonist, whose comic strip Peanuts proved one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium, and is still widely reprinted on a daily basis.

Schulz's first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1950 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there, although he applied the name in
More about Charles M. Schulz...

The Complete Peanuts (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8: 1965-1966
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 9: 1967-1968
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 10: 1969–1970
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 11: 1971 - 1972

“For one brief moment victory was within our grasp!"
"And then the game started!”
46 likes