Start by marking “Sea Change: A Message of the Oceans” as Want to Read:
Sea Change: A Message of the Oceans

Sea Change: A Message of the Oceans

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Internationally known as the ambassador-at-large to the world's oceans, Sylvia Earle is the former chief scientist of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Adminsitration. Sea Change is at once the gripping adventure story of Earle's three decades of undersea exploration and an urgent plea for the preservation of the world's fragile and rapidly deterioating ocean ecosystems ...more
Published May 21st 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Change

Joseph A Carr
May 19, 2013 Joseph A Carr rated it really liked it
Great book, very well written... if you love the sea/ocean PLEASE read this
Elizabeth
Oct 17, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: science
PUSH THROUGH THE INTRODUCTION!!! I almost quit reading this book before it even started. But once I got through that and the first chapter things got a lot better. I just finished reading this book in October 2013, much of what she talks about occurred in the 40's, 50's and 60's with a smattering in the 70's and 80's so much of it is outdated at this point. I would love for her to do an update, a 2013 edition if you will. So much has changed since then, for better and worse. For example, she dis ...more
Jaimal
Feb 10, 2009 Jaimal rated it really liked it
Sylvia Earle is one of the most gifted and determined ocean scientists of our time. That comes through clearly in this book, along with a host of interesting facts about how the history of the oceans and how human's wasteful habits are sadly affecting them to detrimental ends. But I confess that the book did not hold my interest in some sections. Maybe I'm just not interested enough in backroom science dealings, but for me Earle goes too deeply into her funding processes and inter-personal relat ...more
Katie Fisher
Dec 17, 2015 Katie Fisher rated it really liked it
Packed full of information, incredible, inspiring, moving book. All should read, simply as a necessity to know what is going on in the least explored area of our world.
Kristen Gunther
Mar 03, 2012 Kristen Gunther rated it really liked it
This is my favorite Sylvia Earle thing, I think. This book blew open my ideas about the ocean way back in the day, first of all by shooting to hell all the graphs I had to memorize for class about fisheries and maximum sustainable yield. But I look back on it now for the bigger picture it painted and how it nuanced my thinking about wildlife management, the sea, and environmental policy. The organization falters sometimes, but the message and the story are pretty important.

Plus...she was a fema
g-na
Feb 11, 2012 g-na rated it it was amazing
Dr. Earle is one of the world's most respected biologists and oceanographers and wrote this book in 1995 about the oceans and her experiences therein. It is part autobiography, part description of underwater wonders and exploration, and part huge red warning sign about the dangers our oceans are facing, namely us. The very scary thing is when this book was written, currently 16 years ago, pollution, overfishing, and poor ecological practices were pushing our oceans closer to collapse. Now that a ...more
stagger lee
Jun 22, 2008 stagger lee rated it really liked it
sylvia earle is a childhood hero (i finally got to see her speak recently!) and this book is worth my childhood veneration. she, of course, speaks in a more hopeful voice than i think is accurate as she is attempting to make change - but she still paints a pretty ugly picture in terms of overall ocean health. she takes human consumption to task pretty hardcore for such a mainstream author and longtime high level government science/policy official.
J.T.
Aug 16, 2014 J.T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sylvia Earle is one of the most gifted and determined ocean scientists of our time. That comes through clearly in this book, along with a host of interesting facts about the history of the oceans and how mankind's wasteful habits are sadly damaging these fragile ecosystems. But I confess that the book did not hold my interest in some sections.

I'd recommend the book to anyone eager to learn about oceanography and marine biology.
Janice
May 12, 2009 Janice rated it really liked it
I wouldn't normally have picked this up, but I read it in prep for an interview with Sylvia Earle. It was an eye-opener, even though the book was written more than a decade ago. I daresay not a lot has changed in terms of the ocean's overall health, and thanks to Earle's lucidity, my complacency has deserted me.
Laurie
Jan 29, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I have been carrying this book around with me for years - and not many books have traveled with me through all my moves. Dr Earle's experiences as a female oceanographer & marine biologist is not only facinating but is inspiring. The changes she has seen in the oceans in her career are also very thought provoking.
Suzq
Jun 09, 2015 Suzq rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Suzq by: author
I got to meet Sylvia Earle at the All Taxa Biodiversity Conference where she was guest-speaking and I presened my college seminar research findings. She's very nice (and short!) and her years of research of study impressive. I picked up her book later and enjoyed it. Everyone SHOULD read it.
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This book combines a look at ocean pollution with Earle's story. Easier to read than Silent Spring, but (unfortunately) not as influential. Another one among those that made me want to be a science writer. And I had the opportunity to meet Sylvia Earle, what an inspiring character!
Asha
Feb 13, 2009 Asha rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly good book that could truly inspire a sea change. I highly recomend it!
Karen
Apr 01, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
her lifelong study of and in the oceans what she as see mankind is doing to change them
Stephen
Aug 10, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for everyone. Transcendent for those who stay close to the ocean.
lynna
Apr 04, 2007 lynna rated it it was amazing
sylvia a. earle is pretty much my idol.
Margaret
Feb 29, 2008 Margaret rated it really liked it
What got me interested in the ocean
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Blue Frontier Campaign
Blue Frontier Campaign marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Sam J
Sam J added it
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Siân
Siân marked it as to-read
Chandni Chellappa
Chandni Chellappa marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Cynthia Leto
Cynthia Leto marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Ashley Horvat
Ashley Horvat marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Sami
Sami marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
  • Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks
  • Oceana: Our Endangered Oceans and What We Can Do to Save Them
  • Song for the Blue Ocean: Encounters Along the World's Coasts and Beneath the Seas
  • The Empty Ocean
  • The Ocean of Life: The Fate of Man and the Sea
  • Deep Blue Home: An Intimate Ecology of Our Wild Ocean
  • Mapping the Deep: The Extraordinary Story of Ocean Science
  • Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man's Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science
  • The Dolphin in the Mirror: Exploring Dolphin Minds and Saving Dolphin Lives
  • Under the Sea Wind
  • Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
  • Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality
  • The Human, the Orchid and the Octopus: Exploring and Conserving Our Natural World
  • Listening to Whales: What the Orcas Have Taught Us
  • With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change
  • Island in a Storm: A Rising Sea, a Vanishing Coast, and a Nineteenth-Century Disaster that Warns of a Warmer World
  • Rewilding the World: Dispatches from the Conservation Revolution
Sylvia A. Earle is an American oceanographer, aquanaut, and author.
More about Sylvia A. Earle...

“I can still feel that leap of enthusiasm, and real joy, at the prospect of finally getting out to the beach, and running around. But probably the most important thing, to me, aside from just the freedom of it and the power of it, was the kind of creatures that you could see along the beach, that you can't find anywhere else." - Sylvia Earle” 7 likes