Start by marking “The Penny Pinchers Club” as Want to Read:
The Penny Pinchers Club

The Penny Pinchers Club

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,560 Ratings  ·  329 Reviews
Published July 2nd 2009 by Dutton (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Penny Pinchers Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penny Pinchers Club

Charisma by Jeanne RyanBad Apple by Laura RubyCounting by 7s by Holly Goldberg SloanThe Penny Pinchers Club by Sarah StrohmeyerEmma's Table by Philip Galanes
One of These Things (Is Not Like the Others)
4th out of 45 books — 12 voters
The Billionaire Wins the Game by Melody AnneMaid for the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloRise of the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloSeptember Again by Hunter S. JonesChasing Justice by Danielle Stewart
Summer List
196th out of 497 books — 476 voters

More lists with this book...

Sherri F.
Audiobook: 3.5 stars. If you are a Bubble Yablonsky fan (like me), just be aware this is different: first of all, I didn't pay attention to the "tags" so I was surprised it wasn't a mystery or cozy and it was Chick Lit & Rom-Com. At first it was coming off so silly it was funny, then I really did have LOL moments. It was more the guilty pleasure type for me which worked b/c I wasn't feeling well and struggling w/a migraine and couldn't read the book I wanted to and the audiobook I tried righ ...more
Kate
Aug 24, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok
It starts off engaging and fun, but goes downhill when it turns out the central plotline -- the main character thinks her husband is leaving her -- is based on a dumb misunderstanding. I can't get into a story where one short conversation between the characters would clear everything up. This includes a lot of Shakespeare, I know, but I still have this problem.

The book improves when she joins the "penny pinchers club" to save money for a divorce lawyer. You can almost hear the montage music pla
Jessica Lawlor
Dec 28, 2010 Jessica Lawlor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
What an awesome and appropriate plot! This book was published in the midst of the recession, so I’m sure many women picked up this book out of curiosity and we’re excited to find not only a great story, but also some great money-saving tips. I was sucked into this book from the first page and I read it in a quick day and a half unable to put it down.

I loved the eclectic group of characters in this book. Strohmeyer really does a terrific job introducing us to all of the key players in Kat’s life.
Sheri
Sep 28, 2015 Sheri rated it liked it
I'm still trying to decide how I feel about this book. It was an emotionally exhausting book, that I know for sure! It was well-written and engaging, but the premise is not one that I like to entertain (a possible affair). I liked the penny-pinching advice woven throughout, but my heart was breaking for Kat, the main character. At the same time, I was yelling at her for not TALKING TO HER HUSBAND. She talked to everyone else BUT him. Maybe it's because I can't keep a secret unless it's really, r ...more
Tracy
Aug 13, 2009 Tracy rated it it was ok
Kristi
Jun 02, 2012 Kristi rated it liked it
Shea
Jan 05, 2010 Shea rated it liked it
For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. I was going to give it 4 stars but decided on 3 for the simple fact that I wasn't a huge fan of the ending...while I liked the idea of what happened in the end, I felt it was kind of abrupt--things are going one way and then in the course of 2 pages everything changes and you're left with what happens and it just doesn't feel realistic because it's a major turning point that happens in 5 minutes time. Other than that I felt that the book was an easy ...more
Sherri
Jan 03, 2015 Sherri rated it it was amazing
this is my new FAVORITE author (=
Just love what she has to say
Helen
Apr 02, 2015 Helen rated it it was ok
Jen
Nov 27, 2009 Jen rated it it was ok
Kat thinks her husband Griff is cheating on her, and she thinks that he is going to leave her without a penny.

Kat, who spends money like it is water, decides to start saving, so she will actually be able to live when her husband leaves.

The book goes into how she tries to save every penny, while she dreads the day that seems to be coming.

The book has a surprise ending...that I never expected.

However, the story was too far-fetched for my liking.

Caroline
Nov 14, 2013 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: womens-fiction
I wasn't even twenty words into The Penny Pinchers Club before I knew I was in for a treat. Easily one of the best books I've read this year, it was funny, engrossing, poignant and not predictable. Sarah Strohmeyer impressed me to no end with her ability to create an entire cast of characters that came alive and were easy to keep straight. I plan to read more from this author and highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys women's fiction.
Nicole
Aug 12, 2009 Nicole rated it did not like it
I really liked her book, The Cinderella Proposal, so I picked this one up. It was such a disappointment; it was predictable from page one. Without spoiling anything, let's just say that the main character needs to actually talk to her husband of 20 years and not just make assumptions about him. The plot was just dumb and everything somehow worked out in the end. Don't bother with this one. Read the Cinderella book instead.
Roxanne
Apr 12, 2015 Roxanne rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It was closer to a 4.5 all the way until the last two pages. I'm an endings person, and that ending was abrupt and disappointing. Not very happy, because the rest of the book was really engaging. I also didn't like the fact that I wasn't allowed to like Griff, who under other circumstances, was a character I would have loved.
Shelley Leveridge
May 23, 2015 Shelley Leveridge rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. Strohmeyer is an entertaining writer and I was consumed by this rom-com from the first chapter. Not entirely unpredictable, but this book had enough surprises to keep me guessing how it would ultimately all play out.
Ana
Sep 28, 2009 Ana rated it liked it
Better book than I thought it would be. I couldn't even put it down and read straight through it for 6 hours. Alot of laughable moments and alot I could relate to.
Gabriela
Jul 22, 2013 Gabriela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally tricked me! Great ending. That'll teach you to jump to conclusions.
K
Dec 19, 2013 K rated it really liked it
The book starts with a twist: we meet shopaholic Kat as she waits, in shackles, to be interrogated by the FBI and police for dumpster diving in a high security facility. Huh? From there the book takes off in a somewhat humorous but also somewhat informative tale of marriage woes, money woes, and a discovery that one can change if needed.

Kat has been married to Griff for 20 happy years. But during that time Kat has spent and shopped, shopped and spent to the extent that the family is currently in
Heather
Aug 17, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
This book, The Penny Pinchers Club, appealed to me on many levels. First, because it was written by Sarah Strohmeyer, and I've been a fan of her books and writing for several years. Second, because this timely book is the story of a woman who finds herself in a position where she needs to accumulate a significant amount of funds, and discovers that while she's been recklessly racking up credit card debt, her husband has been making other plans without her.

This book is the story of a woman's jour
Shonda
Sep 04, 2009 Shonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
Kat loves to shop. She shops and shops and doesn’t pay much attention to the bills. In fact, she’s afraid of her bills. Luckily, (or maybe not) her husband handles their finances. Kat believes she has a good marriage with Griff. Well, that’s until she finds condom wrappers in his suitcase when he comes home from a business trip. To make matters worse, she learns he has a secret credit card and a bank account (in his name only) that he has kept from her. So, what does she think? He’s preparing to ...more
Jane
Jan 05, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-struggles
Bestselling author Sarah Strohmeyer offers up a timely (and recession-proof) treat about the things money can-and can't-buy. Living in New Jersey-the state that boasts the most malls per capita-Kat's favorite recreational activity is a no-brainer: shopping. But when she discovers that her husband, Griff, has been hiding a secret bank account, her joyful consumerism suddenly loses its appeal. Are their fights about money more serious than she understood? Is he, as her friends suggest, preparing f ...more
Melissa
Mar 07, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adults only
An interesting, fun book similar genre as Sophia Kinsella's books. Kat is a middle-aged woman with a spending attitude, who is married to a saver. She's forced to change her ways on her own accord.

I enjoyed this book, but it didn't wow me and at times read as a man-hater book. Ugh which annoyed me. Also another reason for not loving it was poor character development. I couldn't follow the story sometimes because I had a hard time picturing and relating to some of the characters. However, there w
Wallace
Oct 18, 2009 Wallace rated it really liked it
Shelves: heartwarmers
Kat, the protagonist, finds out her husband is going to leave her after their daughter graduates from high school in June. Devastating, yes, but what's more so is that Kat knows nothing about finances because she, like so many women, left "that business" up to her husband (who has recently opened a separate credit card and bank account that she can't touch, thank you very much).

Luckily, her older sister, Viv, takes her to a high powered lawyer who gives her the best advice of her life... she mu
Angela
Jan 16, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
For those of you who loved Strohmeyer's THE CINDERELLA PACT and THE SLEEPING BEAUTY PROPOSAL, you will love THE PENNY PINCHERS CLUB.

Kat seems to have it all: a loving, sex-filled 20 year marriage, a well-behaved, ambitious teenage daughter, and a job in interior design. And a heedless spending streak that does not seem to impact her lifestyle at all.

Well...at least not until she finds two condom wrappers in her husband's khaki pants when she is doing his wash after he returns from a business tri
Amy
Oct 02, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored this book. If you are a Sophie Kinsella fan, you will really love this book and the hilarity that ensues.

Kat is an assistant to an interior designer barely making any money at all. She doesn't seem to notice that she is spending more money than she has until she is faced with the stunned resolution that her marriage is falling apart.

On the advice of her lawyer, Kat is advised to begin saving a minimum of $500 a week to build a nest egg for herself so that she can handle the
Chrissy
Jan 16, 2014 Chrissy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Nope. This one was not for me.

I don't think I bothered to read the synopsis when I checked this out so I didn't know what to expect. Judging by the title, I thought maybe it was a matronly ya ya traveling pants sort of thing, a cheap and easy but entertaining story about the shenanigans of some frugal old ladies.

Instead, it's the horribly predictable tale of a middle aged shopaholic saving for divorce. I found it all pretty dull but perhaps a very naïve reader who can take the story at face val
Krista
Jul 26, 2009 Krista rated it really liked it
Kat is a NJ housewife with a big spending problem. When she discovers that her husband is planning to leave her after her daughter's graduation in a few short months, she goes on a quest to save up the $15,000 she needs to retain a divorce attorney. At the suggestion of her housekeeper joins a group called the Penny Pinchers Club which meets in the local library basement.

To complicate things Kat runs into her recently-divorced old boyfriend who appears to still carry a flame for her after all t
Franny
Jan 16, 2016 Franny rated it liked it
Light-weight, chick-lit, beach-read, predictable but funny. "The Penny Pinchers Club" is the story of a compulsive spender who discovers her husband is planning to leave her and her need to save $15,000 for a divorce before their daughter graduates in June. Kat and her co-recovering-spenders in the title group are an odd bunch who live to save. Aside from some clumsy bits and a completely weird list of ways to save at the end of the book, this is a fair example of its type.
Chantel
May 06, 2015 Chantel rated it liked it
This was on my reading history for 2010 with the Springfield library but I don't really remember reading it even after looking at the plot line. It was read by Johanna Parker as an audiobook and I recognize her voice from the Charlaine Harris books. I'm certain I must have read and enjoyed it. Since I like the author and have read other books, I assigned the star rating based on my overall feel for her work. Maybe I'll read this again soon and then it really will be familiar.
Karen
Sep 12, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Don't you love it when you discover a new author that writes as if she totally "gets" you? I raced through "The Penny Pinchers Club" with ease because it's a funny yet dramatic look at marriage after the honeymoon ends. Actually, it's about marriage 20 years after the honeymoon. It's about a woman who shops for pleasure and her husband who is left to juggle the bills. Ultimately, it leads to a little deception on both of their parts--which makes for a great story.
Faqihah Salleh
Sep 30, 2013 Faqihah Salleh rated it it was amazing
The Reader's Para...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Aug-13: The Penny Pinchers Club by Sarah Strohmeyer 51 14 Aug 22, 2013 07:37PM
  • The Pre-Nup
  • Happy Kid!
  • Love and Other Natural Disasters
  • Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead
  • How To Be Cool
  • Just Like Me, Only Better
  • Hope in a Jar
  • Skinny Bitch Gets Hitched (Skinny Bitch #2)
  • Becca by the Book (Getaway Girls, #3)
  • She's Gone Country
  • Good Luck
  • Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 5)
  • Save as Draft
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Every Demon Has His Day (Demon, #1)
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Summer Blowout
Sarah Strohmeyer is the award-winning, nationally bestselling author of 17 novels for young adults and adults, including the Bubbles Yablonsky mystery series, SMART GIRLS GET WHAT THEY WANT and THE CINDERELLA PACT, which became the Lifetime Movie, LYING TO BE PERFECT.
Her first mystery, BUBBLES UNBOUND, won the Agatha Award and THE SLEEPING BEAUTY PROPOSAL was nominated for a prestigious RITA. Her
More about Sarah Strohmeyer...