Start by marking “The Penny Pinchers Club” as Want to Read:
The Penny Pinchers Club

The Penny Pinchers Club

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  2,318 ratings  ·  302 reviews
Published July 2nd 2009 by Dutton Adult (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Penny Pinchers Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penny Pinchers Club

Charisma by Jeanne RyanBad Apple by Laura RubyThe Penny Pinchers Club by Sarah StrohmeyerEmma's Table by Philip GalanesThree Bags Full by Leonie Swann
One of These Things (Is Not Like the Others)
3rd out of 39 books — 7 voters
The Billionaire Wins the Game by Melody AnneMaid for the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloRise of the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloSeptember Again by Hunter S. JonesChasing Justice by Danielle Stewart
Summer List
187th out of 480 books — 461 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
It starts off engaging and fun, but goes downhill when it turns out the central plotline -- the main character thinks her husband is leaving her -- is based on a dumb misunderstanding. I can't get into a story where one short conversation between the characters would clear everything up. This includes a lot of Shakespeare, I know, but I still have this problem.

The book improves when she joins the "penny pinchers club" to save money for a divorce lawyer. You can almost hear the montage music pla
Jessica Lawlor
What an awesome and appropriate plot! This book was published in the midst of the recession, so I’m sure many women picked up this book out of curiosity and we’re excited to find not only a great story, but also some great money-saving tips. I was sucked into this book from the first page and I read it in a quick day and a half unable to put it down.

I loved the eclectic group of characters in this book. Strohmeyer really does a terrific job introducing us to all of the key players in Kat’s life.
Tracy
Kristi
Shea
For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. I was going to give it 4 stars but decided on 3 for the simple fact that I wasn't a huge fan of the ending...while I liked the idea of what happened in the end, I felt it was kind of abrupt--things are going one way and then in the course of 2 pages everything changes and you're left with what happens and it just doesn't feel realistic because it's a major turning point that happens in 5 minutes time. Other than that I felt that the book was an easy ...more
Sherri
this is my new FAVORITE author (=
Just love what she has to say
Helen
Jen
Kat thinks her husband Griff is cheating on her, and she thinks that he is going to leave her without a penny.

Kat, who spends money like it is water, decides to start saving, so she will actually be able to live when her husband leaves.

The book goes into how she tries to save every penny, while she dreads the day that seems to be coming.

The book has a surprise ending...that I never expected.

However, the story was too far-fetched for my liking.

Caroline
I wasn't even twenty words into The Penny Pinchers Club before I knew I was in for a treat. Easily one of the best books I've read this year, it was funny, engrossing, poignant and not predictable. Sarah Strohmeyer impressed me to no end with her ability to create an entire cast of characters that came alive and were easy to keep straight. I plan to read more from this author and highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys women's fiction.
Nicole
I really liked her book, The Cinderella Proposal, so I picked this one up. It was such a disappointment; it was predictable from page one. Without spoiling anything, let's just say that the main character needs to actually talk to her husband of 20 years and not just make assumptions about him. The plot was just dumb and everything somehow worked out in the end. Don't bother with this one. Read the Cinderella book instead.
Shelley Leveridge
This was a cute book. Strohmeyer is an entertaining writer and I was consumed by this rom-com from the first chapter. Not entirely unpredictable, but this book had enough surprises to keep me guessing how it would ultimately all play out.
Ana
Better book than I thought it would be. I couldn't even put it down and read straight through it for 6 hours. Alot of laughable moments and alot I could relate to.
SimplyGabriela
Totally tricked me! Great ending. That'll teach you to jump to conclusions.
K
The book starts with a twist: we meet shopaholic Kat as she waits, in shackles, to be interrogated by the FBI and police for dumpster diving in a high security facility. Huh? From there the book takes off in a somewhat humorous but also somewhat informative tale of marriage woes, money woes, and a discovery that one can change if needed.

Kat has been married to Griff for 20 happy years. But during that time Kat has spent and shopped, shopped and spent to the extent that the family is currently in
Heather
This book, The Penny Pinchers Club, appealed to me on many levels. First, because it was written by Sarah Strohmeyer, and I've been a fan of her books and writing for several years. Second, because this timely book is the story of a woman who finds herself in a position where she needs to accumulate a significant amount of funds, and discovers that while she's been recklessly racking up credit card debt, her husband has been making other plans without her.

This book is the story of a woman's jour
Shonda
Kat loves to shop. She shops and shops and doesn’t pay much attention to the bills. In fact, she’s afraid of her bills. Luckily, (or maybe not) her husband handles their finances. Kat believes she has a good marriage with Griff. Well, that’s until she finds condom wrappers in his suitcase when he comes home from a business trip. To make matters worse, she learns he has a secret credit card and a bank account (in his name only) that he has kept from her. So, what does she think? He’s preparing to ...more
Jane
Bestselling author Sarah Strohmeyer offers up a timely (and recession-proof) treat about the things money can-and can't-buy. Living in New Jersey-the state that boasts the most malls per capita-Kat's favorite recreational activity is a no-brainer: shopping. But when she discovers that her husband, Griff, has been hiding a secret bank account, her joyful consumerism suddenly loses its appeal. Are their fights about money more serious than she understood? Is he, as her friends suggest, preparing f ...more
Melissa
Mar 07, 2010 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults only
An interesting, fun book similar genre as Sophia Kinsella's books. Kat is a middle-aged woman with a spending attitude, who is married to a saver. She's forced to change her ways on her own accord.

I enjoyed this book, but it didn't wow me and at times read as a man-hater book. Ugh which annoyed me. Also another reason for not loving it was poor character development. I couldn't follow the story sometimes because I had a hard time picturing and relating to some of the characters. However, there w
Wallace
Kat, the protagonist, finds out her husband is going to leave her after their daughter graduates from high school in June. Devastating, yes, but what's more so is that Kat knows nothing about finances because she, like so many women, left "that business" up to her husband (who has recently opened a separate credit card and bank account that she can't touch, thank you very much).

Luckily, her older sister, Viv, takes her to a high powered lawyer who gives her the best advice of her life... she mu
Angela
For those of you who loved Strohmeyer's THE CINDERELLA PACT and THE SLEEPING BEAUTY PROPOSAL, you will love THE PENNY PINCHERS CLUB.

Kat seems to have it all: a loving, sex-filled 20 year marriage, a well-behaved, ambitious teenage daughter, and a job in interior design. And a heedless spending streak that does not seem to impact her lifestyle at all.

Well...at least not until she finds two condom wrappers in her husband's khaki pants when she is doing his wash after he returns from a business tri
Amy
I absolutely adored this book. If you are a Sophie Kinsella fan, you will really love this book and the hilarity that ensues.

Kat is an assistant to an interior designer barely making any money at all. She doesn't seem to notice that she is spending more money than she has until she is faced with the stunned resolution that her marriage is falling apart.

On the advice of her lawyer, Kat is advised to begin saving a minimum of $500 a week to build a nest egg for herself so that she can handle the
Chrissy
Nope. This one was not for me.

I don't think I bothered to read the synopsis when I checked this out so I didn't know what to expect. Judging by the title, I thought maybe it was a matronly ya ya traveling pants sort of thing, a cheap and easy but entertaining story about the shenanigans of some frugal old ladies.

Instead, it's the horribly predictable tale of a middle aged shopaholic saving for divorce. I found it all pretty dull but perhaps a very naïve reader who can take the story at face val
Krista
Kat is a NJ housewife with a big spending problem. When she discovers that her husband is planning to leave her after her daughter's graduation in a few short months, she goes on a quest to save up the $15,000 she needs to retain a divorce attorney. At the suggestion of her housekeeper joins a group called the Penny Pinchers Club which meets in the local library basement.

To complicate things Kat runs into her recently-divorced old boyfriend who appears to still carry a flame for her after all t
Chantel
This was on my reading history for 2010 with the Springfield library but I don't really remember reading it even after looking at the plot line. It was read by Johanna Parker as an audiobook and I recognize her voice from the Charlaine Harris books. I'm certain I must have read and enjoyed it. Since I like the author and have read other books, I assigned the star rating based on my overall feel for her work. Maybe I'll read this again soon and then it really will be familiar.
Karen
Don't you love it when you discover a new author that writes as if she totally "gets" you? I raced through "The Penny Pinchers Club" with ease because it's a funny yet dramatic look at marriage after the honeymoon ends. Actually, it's about marriage 20 years after the honeymoon. It's about a woman who shops for pleasure and her husband who is left to juggle the bills. Ultimately, it leads to a little deception on both of their parts--which makes for a great story.
Faqihah Salleh
Roxanne
3.5 stars. It was closer to a 4.5 all the way until the last two pages. I'm an endings person, and that ending was abrupt and disappointing. Not very happy, because the rest of the book was really engaging. I also didn't like the fact that I wasn't allowed to like Griff, who under other circumstances, was a character I would have loved.
Grace Tolman
I thought the story was interesting. It took some issues that some people, especially women, deal with at this time and put it together as a story for one person, in this case, Kat (the main character) There's the story of possible divorce in a later stage of life, dealing with financial challenges and then ideas on how to save.
Charlotte
Kat Griffiths is the typical New Jersey housewife right down to her Starbucks Venti Latte addiction. She spends the money and lets her husband pays the bills. On the night of her 20th Wedding Anniversary she discovers the email evidence that her husband is having an affair and is planning to leave her once their daughter graduates high school.

With the help of her former housekeeper, Kat joins The Penny Pinchers Club. A group of financial misfits who show Kat that there is hope. There is light at
Andrea
I really enjoyed this book. I could so identify with Kat. Not only do I LOVE to shop, but I have also been in the sad position of finding emails to and from my now ex-boyfriend and another girl. And luckily, just like Kat, I had friends to help me through--just not friends that helped me save money in the process. Some of the ideas in the books I think I might try--pumping gas in the morning when its thicker and plugging appliances in to a power strip that you can turn off. Others, like dumpster ...more
The Reader's Para...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Aug-13: The Penny Pinchers Club by Sarah Strohmeyer 51 14 Aug 22, 2013 07:37PM
  • The Pre-Nup
  • Love and Other Natural Disasters
  • Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead
  • The Ex-Mrs. Hedgefund
  • How To Be Cool
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Happy Kid!
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Thin, Rich, Pretty
  • Every Demon Has His Day (Demon, #1)
  • By Invitation Only
  • The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook
  • Just Like Me, Only Better
  • Becca by the Book
  • Mrs. Perfect
  • The Hot Flash Club Chills Out
  • The Long Walk Home
  • Good Luck
Sarah Strohmeyer is the award-winning, nationally bestselling author of fifteen novels one of which, THE CINDERELLA PACT, became a Lifetime Movie, LYING TO BE PERFECT.
Her first mystery, BUBBLES UNBOUND, won the Agatha Award and THE SLEEPING BEAUTY PROPOSAL was nominated for a prestigious RITA. Her books have been translated into German, French, Italian, Turkish, Taiwanese and a bunch of others.
Her
More about Sarah Strohmeyer...
The Cinderella Pact Smart Girls Get What They Want Bubbles Unbound (Bubbles Yablonsky, #1) The Sleeping Beauty Proposal Bubbles A Broad (Bubbles Yablonsky, #4)