Start by marking “The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)” as Want to Read:
The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)

The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Are you relentlessly curious and creative, always willing to rock the boat in order to get things done . . . extremely energetic and focused, yet constantly switching gears . . . intensely sensitive, able to intuit subtly charged situations and decipher others' feeling? If these traits sound familiar, then you may be an Everyday Genius--an ordinary person of unusual vision ...more
Published November 28th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published November 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Gifted Adult, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gifted Adult

The Gifted Adult by Mary-Elaine JacobsenLiving With Intensity by Susan DanielsGifted Grownups by Marylou Kelly StreznewskiSee Jane Win for Girls by Sylvia B. RimmBright Adults by Ellen D. Fiedler
Gifted Adults
1st out of 15 books — 5 voters
Learned Optimism by Martin E.P. SeligmanThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Now Habit by Neil A. FioreWillpower by Roy F. BaumeisterThe Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal
Positive Psychology Books
78th out of 91 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Beverly
May 16, 2011 Beverly rated it really liked it
In the late 1970s, I was enrolled in my school's Talented and Gifted (TAG) program. We were taught different ways to explore topics and ideas, and the time spent in the program was my favorite. I was bored in school (my oldest sister liked to play "teacher", so for years I was doing the same work she did...she's 4.5 years older than I am) and curious. I was a day dreamer. Before I hit high school in the early 1980s, the program was over. It simply didn't extend beyond middle grade years.

I rarely
Bridgett
Jul 22, 2009 Bridgett rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I was originally hesitant about this book because the term "gifted" sounds so elitist. I was pleased at the focus on multiple intelligences and personality traits of highly sensitive individuals. I definitely have been told I'm "too intense" by a variety of people, so I could relate to having lots of intensity, complexity, and drive. Though my drive has lagged the past couple years due to depression and anxiety (hoping to correct that!) A fun book, and helpful in understanding one's differences ...more
Teresa
Nov 20, 2011 Teresa rated it really liked it
This book is a very dry read, but it's a forgivable flaw. Jacobsen has written one of only two books on adult giftedness and the *only* book on adult giftedness aimed at helping us function better in a world that doesn't understand us. More than a self-help book, this is really more of a text book, the missing operator's manual for a gifted life. If you *know* that you're a deeply intelligent person and yet your struggling to function in a world where the rules of conduct seem both stupidly simp ...more
Sara
Jul 30, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing
Practical and fabulous. My favorite chapter deals with the Ten Criticisms of Gifted Adults and how to counter them with grace. "Why Don't You Slow Down?" becomes: "Going Fast is Normal for Me." "Can't You Just Stick with One Thing?" is answered with: "No, Probably Not." :)
Juanita
Sep 09, 2009 Juanita rated it it was amazing
For the unacknowledged gifted adult, this book is the permission you needed to see yourself as the talented individual God created you as.
Laura Rehfeld
Dec 28, 2007 Laura Rehfeld rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: smart people and those who live or work with them.
This is a great book for understanding the motivations, penchants and challenges of smart people. I felt like everything in the book helped me understand either myself or someone I knew. It outlines three main differences between gifted adults and the general population: intensity, complexity and drive. Talk about hitting the nail on the head! I recommend this to anyone who works, live or knows someone extraordinary. And if you're like me, and you think "I'm not gifted", read the book. I had got ...more
Wonderwoman
Feb 18, 2015 Wonderwoman rated it really liked it
This book is incredible and the author does an incredible job explaining this in practical terms without being dry. It's written from the assumption the gifted adult in question doesn't know they're gifted, so it's not going to be as helpful if you were aware of being gifted as a child, had an easy time of it in the right schools, but then found yourself floundering as an adult when you found your skills to be a great hindrance. I took one star off for her tendency to overgeneralize (saying thin ...more
Jacqueline
Jun 08, 2014 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
this book hit the nail right on the head! Every thought, every action and every choice I've made during the first 34 years of my life was explained to me in such a way that I could only cry: 'yes, yes, yes!'.
On the downside, it's not a page-turning crime novel. I advise reading it whilst not being distracted by two children, but taking the time to read it while your head can focus.
Definitely going to apply the tips and turn the remainder of my life into fully exploring my abilities and putting t
Marc
Apr 15, 2015 Marc rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some parts of this resonated pretty well, and though I initially skimmed it on an ILL, I read enough to know that I'll probably want to own it to work through some of the suggestions and worksheets.

Although geared for adults, it refers back enough to their childhoods to help raise gifted children should one be so fortunate as to have such kids. I'll expand more later, after I've given it the thorough reading it deserves.
Mary Miller
Aug 02, 2015 Mary Miller rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. The way the author defines genius as intensity, complexity and drive helped me to understand not what's wrong with me but what's right with me and how to best mange these gifts. Until I read this book these gifts often felt like a liability more so then anything else.
missy jean
Feb 09, 2015 missy jean rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I feel weird reviewing a book with this title, but I actually found it really helpful for thinking about the ways that many of us neglect and undermine our talents, with practical suggestions for learning to honor and use them instead.
Emna
Oct 13, 2014 Emna rated it it was amazing
Excellent reading that conveys several positive messages to gifted adults. The originality of the book is related to the way giftedness is defined, that is people whom the main characteristics are high intensity, drive and complexity. Instead of identifying giftedness based on IQ scores (or similar metrics), the book provides an interesting and original survey that enables to scale oneself intelligence based on those 3 features (intensity, drive and complexity). Also, I loved the idea of the nec ...more
Storyheart
May 13, 2015 Marcelo O rated it it was amazing
this book can be Good
Enola
Jan 26, 2010 Enola rated it it was ok
I don't read a lot of self-help books so take the following with a grain of salt. I liked the premise and I could follow the hypothesis well enough. In fact the book made me smile in acknowledgement a couple of times. The practical aspects of what to do know that you know - almost 75% of the book - were more of a let down. Some of it was obvious to me and some of it seemed to veer in the opposite direction presenting a solution more cumbersome than the original problem. I ended up skimming the l ...more
Sharon
Dec 12, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
I still don't think that Gifted is the word that I wish to use to describe myself, but this book definitely described many of my traits. I'm not sure that the book was helpful but it definitely hit a nerve. I already knew that I am driven, complex, hard working, and creative problem solver but I still have no idea how to fit in a world where so many people seem to be just the opposite.
Elizabeth
Oct 05, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
If you were labeled a Gifted Child -- like I was -- you probably grew up into a Gifted Adult who didn't give much thought to how your personality, psychology, thought processes, and interpersonal relationships might be affected by this. Some of this book got to be a little too self-help, touchy-feely save the world for me, but parts of the book, particularly the first half, are fascinating.
Anjjam Hussain
Sep 24, 2013 Anjjam Hussain rated it it was amazing
Gifted adult magnificently illustrates how people of high intelligence sabotage their relationships, work life and professionalism. It has been very insightful to read and everyone should read this book to see how there positive and negative qualities impact all aspects of their live. Over intellectualizing things for sure can mess things up . life is for the living !
Mel
Apr 28, 2011 Mel rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
I loathe books that use anecdotes to demonstrate the author’s ideas. I find them mind-numbingly boring. Funny really, because one of the traits of giftedness is a need for the brain to be constantly stimulated and this book on giftedness is dull and uninteresting. Ha!
Debbie Mcnulty
Feb 21, 2016 Debbie Mcnulty rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was a heavy read and it took me awhile to digest it. I feel I gained some real insight into myself and others. I really enjoyed the wide range of topics she covered. Although the book is dry it is well worth the time and energy.
Koppelman
Aug 27, 2007 Koppelman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who feels their genius is misunderstood
I read this book on the recommendation of my friend, Sara, and I found it to be enormously helpful in understanding myself, my husband and all the other quirky members of my family.
Steve Butterbaugh
Apr 15, 2013 Steve Butterbaugh rated it liked it
Shelves:
A rather difficult book to read and I'm not sure that the way the characteristics of genius expressed is true. So, this is a new experience - one I will continue to think about.
Dave Donahoe
Apr 14, 2013 Dave Donahoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Less of a path to than an exploration of everyday genius and how it interacts with the world around it. Not a self-help book, but a psychological study. Very interesting.
Johnfx750
Sep 09, 2009 Johnfx750 rated it really liked it
always going back over this material as it relates imperatively
Leah
Dec 24, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: gifted
An important book for gifted adults to read.
Morgan
Sep 08, 2011 Morgan rated it did not like it
Self-important and elitist.
Jasmine Gage Châtelain
Jasmine Gage Châtelain marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Annelies van der Meulen
Annelies van der Meulen marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
i can feelingly understand.. 1 2 Aug 10, 2012 04:10AM
  • Gifted Grownups: The Mixed Blessings of Extraordinary Potential
  • Living with Intensity
  • Positive Addiction
  • Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Successful Intelligence: How Practical and Creative Intelligence Determine Success in Life
  • Shadow Dance
  • Living with Death and Dying
  • When Gifted Kids Don't Have All the Answers: How to Meet Their Social and Emotional Needs
  • The Power of Flow: Practical Ways to Transform Your Life with Meaningful Coincidence
  • Child Development (with Milestones Card) (MyDevelopmentLab Series)
  • Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century
  • Just Your Type: Create the Relationship You've Always Wanted Using the Secrets of Personality Type
  • Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • Emotional Alchemy: How the Mind Can Heal the Heart
  • Your Own Worst Enemy: Breaking the Habit of Adult Underachievement
  • The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story

“we also discover that much of our most potent creative energy arises from the flames of past injustices and inhibited creative efforts.” 0 likes
“Destructive complexes are often permitted to grow to a size where they can attack the soul and hold it hostage.” 0 likes