Start by marking “The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)” as Want to Read:
The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)

The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Are you relentlessly curious and creative, always willing to rock the boat in order to get things done . . . extremely energetic and focused, yet constantly switching gears . . . intensely sensitive, able to intuit subtly charged situations and decipher others' feeling? If these traits sound familiar, then you may be an Everyday Genius--an ordinary person of unusual vision ...more
Published November 28th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published November 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Gifted Adult, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gifted Adult

Beverly
In the late 1970s, I was enrolled in my school's Talented and Gifted (TAG) program. We were taught different ways to explore topics and ideas, and the time spent in the program was my favorite. I was bored in school (my oldest sister liked to play "teacher", so for years I was doing the same work she did...she's 4.5 years older than I am) and curious. I was a day dreamer. Before I hit high school in the early 1980s, the program was over. It simply didn't extend beyond middle grade years.

I rarely
Bridgett
I was originally hesitant about this book because the term "gifted" sounds so elitist. I was pleased at the focus on multiple intelligences and personality traits of highly sensitive individuals. I definitely have been told I'm "too intense" by a variety of people, so I could relate to having lots of intensity, complexity, and drive. Though my drive has lagged the past couple years due to depression and anxiety (hoping to correct that!) A fun book, and helpful in understanding one's differences ...more
Teresa
This book is a very dry read, but it's a forgivable flaw. Jacobsen has written one of only two books on adult giftedness and the *only* book on adult giftedness aimed at helping us function better in a world that doesn't understand us. More than a self-help book, this is really more of a text book, the missing operator's manual for a gifted life. If you *know* that you're a deeply intelligent person and yet your struggling to function in a world where the rules of conduct seem both stupidly simp ...more
Laura Rehfeld
Dec 28, 2007 Laura Rehfeld rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: smart people and those who live or work with them.
This is a great book for understanding the motivations, penchants and challenges of smart people. I felt like everything in the book helped me understand either myself or someone I knew. It outlines three main differences between gifted adults and the general population: intensity, complexity and drive. Talk about hitting the nail on the head! I recommend this to anyone who works, live or knows someone extraordinary. And if you're like me, and you think "I'm not gifted", read the book. I had got ...more
Wonderwoman
This book is incredible and the author does an incredible job explaining this in practical terms without being dry. It's written from the assumption the gifted adult in question doesn't know they're gifted, so it's not going to be as helpful if you were aware of being gifted as a child, had an easy time of it in the right schools, but then found yourself foundering as an adult when you found your skills to be a great hindrance. I took one star off for her tendency to overgeneralize (saying thing ...more
Sara
Practical and fabulous. My favorite chapter deals with the Ten Criticisms of Gifted Adults and how to counter them with grace. "Why Don't You Slow Down?" becomes: "Going Fast is Normal for Me." "Can't You Just Stick with One Thing?" is answered with: "No, Probably Not." :)
Juanita
For the unacknowledged gifted adult, this book is the permission you needed to see yourself as the talented individual God created you as.
Jacqueline
this book hit the nail right on the head! Every thought, every action and every choice I've made during the first 34 years of my life was explained to me in such a way that I could only cry: 'yes, yes, yes!'.
On the downside, it's not a page-turning crime novel. I advise reading it whilst not being distracted by two children, but taking the time to read it while your head can focus.
Definitely going to apply the tips and turn the remainder of my life into fully exploring my abilities and putting t
Emna
Excellent reading that conveys several positive messages to gifted adults. The originality of the book is related to the way giftedness is defined, that is people whom the main characteristics are high intensity, drive and complexity. Instead of identifying giftedness based on IQ scores (or similar metrics), the book provides an interesting and original survey that enables to scale oneself intelligence based on those 3 features (intensity, drive and complexity). Also, I loved the idea of the nec ...more
Enola
I don't read a lot of self-help books so take the following with a grain of salt. I liked the premise and I could follow the hypothesis well enough. In fact the book made me smile in acknowledgement a couple of times. The practical aspects of what to do know that you know - almost 75% of the book - were more of a let down. Some of it was obvious to me and some of it seemed to veer in the opposite direction presenting a solution more cumbersome than the original problem. I ended up skimming the l ...more
Sharon
I still don't think that Gifted is the word that I wish to use to describe myself, but this book definitely described many of my traits. I'm not sure that the book was helpful but it definitely hit a nerve. I already knew that I am driven, complex, hard working, and creative problem solver but I still have no idea how to fit in a world where so many people seem to be just the opposite.
Elizabeth
If you were labeled a Gifted Child -- like I was -- you probably grew up into a Gifted Adult who didn't give much thought to how your personality, psychology, thought processes, and interpersonal relationships might be affected by this. Some of this book got to be a little too self-help, touchy-feely save the world for me, but parts of the book, particularly the first half, are fascinating.
Anjjam Hussain
Gifted adult magnificently illustrates how people of high intelligence sabotage their relationships, work life and professionalism. It has been very insightful to read and everyone should read this book to see how there positive and negative qualities impact all aspects of their live. Over intellectualizing things for sure can mess things up . life is for the living !
Mel
I loathe books that use anecdotes to demonstrate the author’s ideas. I find them mind-numbingly boring. Funny really, because one of the traits of giftedness is a need for the brain to be constantly stimulated and this book on giftedness is dull and uninteresting. Ha!
Koppelman
Aug 27, 2007 Koppelman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who feels their genius is misunderstood
I read this book on the recommendation of my friend, Sara, and I found it to be enormously helpful in understanding myself, my husband and all the other quirky members of my family.
Steve Butterbaugh
A rather difficult book to read and I'm not sure that the way the characteristics of genius expressed is true. So, this is a new experience - one I will continue to think about.
Dave Donahoe
Less of a path to than an exploration of everyday genius and how it interacts with the world around it. Not a self-help book, but a psychological study. Very interesting.
Johnfx750
always going back over this material as it relates imperatively
Leah
An important book for gifted adults to read.
Morgan
Self-important and elitist.
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Jeff Downing
Jeff Downing marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Alfred
Alfred marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Vijay Pande
Vijay Pande marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Tomothy
Tomothy marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
i can feelingly understand.. 1 2 Aug 10, 2012 04:10AM
  • Gifted Grownups: The Mixed Blessings of Extraordinary Potential
  • Living With Intensity
  • Positive Addiction
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century
  • The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
  • Successful Intelligence: How Practical and Creative Intelligence Determine Success in Life
  • Emotional Alchemy: How the Mind Can Heal the Heart
  • ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation
  • Six Pillars of Self-Esteem
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side
  • Searching for Memory: The Brain, the Mind, and the Past
  • How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
Liberating Everyday Genius The Brat Stops Here!: 5 Weeks (or Less) to No More Tantrums, Arguing, or Bad Behavior