The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide, for Ages 10 and under

The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide, for Ages 10 and under

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A classic introduction to growing up gifted, newly revised and updated. Based on surveys of hundreds of gifted kids, it covers high expectations, perfectionism, teasing, multiple intelligences, and much more. Kids learn they're not alone, they're not "weird, " and being smart, talented, and creative is a bonus, not a burden.
Published November 28th 1998 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published 1983)

Be the first to ask a question about The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide, for Ages 10 and under

Lesli
I found this book while trying to help my gifted child find non-fiction he was interested in at the library. Even though this book is written for children, I found this book very useful as a parent of a gifted child. Its designed for probably 8 or 9 year olds to read. The number one useful thing I read in the book was gifted children deserved to be told they are gifted, and how that might mean they differ from other kids. I had been purposely not telling my child he was in "gt program". After di...more
Susan
Jun 22, 2012 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Review by: Susan Overton

Handbook Reference

Survival Guide for Gifted Kids?
Galbraith, J. (2009). The gifted kids\' survival guide. Minneapolis,MN: Free Spirit Publishing.

Price: $12.99

Relevance and Relationship: This book is a handbook for gifted students to better understand their learning style

Purpose: This book provides students who feel different from other students due their above average academics build confidence in their academic ability .

Format: This book is in print.

Arrangement and Presen...more
Jan
This book is written for the bright child himself, to help him figure out how to appreciate his own abilities while recognizing that "brighter than" does not mean "better than."

How do you deal with kids who like you because you are smart and funny, yet don't like you for the same reasons? Why do the kids you talk to and play with act in such conflicting ways? What can you do to build friendships? ("Don't be a show-off." "Don't try to make everything go your way -- be willing to compromise." "Be...more
Tanya
It's written in a conversational style that I think kids will like and has nice highlights with quotes from gifted kids age 10 and under and websites for additional information.

It just was very reaffirming that a kid is still a kid, even with a "gifted" label. And even though they may feel different than other kids and that they don't fit in, they should embrace who they are. They should know they are not alone. The book is realistic and practical.

additional resources:
agirlsworld.com
iwaswonde...more
Susan
This was helpful, but it is a thin little book with a few ideas for gifted kids to 1) come to understand themselves slightly better and recognize that there ARE other kids like themselves.
2) gain some ideas of ways to make school more interesting and challenging.

My daughter and I each took about an hour to read the whole thing.
Shannon
You know what would have been better than a gifted kids' survival guide? Hanging out with more gifted kids. :-P Schuchard Elementary fail.
Crystal
Important to read the most recent edition for accurate resource information.
Amanda
Very helpful guide for elementary school gifted kids.
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Susan L Fox
Susan L Fox marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Kristin Lehman
Kristin Lehman marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Cindy Young
Cindy Young marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Melissa I
Melissa I marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
As a former classroom teacher and specialist in gifted education, Judy Galbraith , MA recognized a clear need for books to help children and teens navigate life’s challenges. Judy founded Free Spirit Publishing in 1983 becoming the first publisher to focus on self-help materials to help young people lead better lives. Her first books, and the first titles for Free Spirit Publishing, grew out of he...more
More about Judy Galbraith...
The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide: A Teen Handbook The Gifted Teen Survival Guide: Smart, Sharp, and Ready for (Almost) Anything You Know Your Child Is Gifted When...: A Beginner's Guide to Life on the Bright Side The Gifted Kids Survival Guide for Ages 11-18 The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide: For Ages 10 & Under