Start by marking “The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)

The Fields of Home (Little Britches #5)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  900 ratings  ·  60 reviews
1912 Massachussetts. Narrator Ralph 15 battles maternal Granpa Tom Gould, who swears at "tarnal" boy, cook Millie, old "yalla colt". Ralph tames buckskin by tricks - ties ears back, fills mouth with dirt, apple bribes. Granpa busts invented "contraptions". Millie goes. Uncle Levi advises patience. Pretty Annie and Ralph hold hands. Rocks, roots dynamited. Barn raised.
Published January 1st 1993 by Bison Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Fields of Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fields of Home

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
My Favoritest Children's Books Ever!
372nd out of 451 books — 403 voters
The Cider House Rules by John IrvingEmpire Falls by Richard RussoThe Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne JewettThe Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn ChuteOn Writing by Stephen King
Books Set in Maine
94th out of 155 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Christy
There are two books in this series that the repeated exclamations used drove us absolutely CRAZY! "Betcha my life" of The Home Ranch and "gorry sakes alive," "tarnal" anything, " and "great day of judgment" from The Fields of Home. In fact, if ever I want to tease and get a rise out of one of my boys, I use those phrases. ;) Even with all the wonderful examples of work and skill in these books, the repetition of those phrases by Grandpa and Uncle has ruined the reading aloud of any more books in ...more
Marcy
The Fields of Home is my least favorite of this series but I highly recommend you don't skip it. At this point in the story Ralph is living with his grandfather and it seems like he is constantly criticizing Ralph. But it has it's redeeming qualities and I wouldn't want to miss this portion of Ralph's experiences and how he handles all of it.

This book takes place in Maine & I found the following review from Amazon of interest and thought I would share it:

"If one was brought up ( as I was ) i
MaryAnn
I think everyone should read all of the Little Britches series, but my favorites were Little Britches and Mary Emma and Company so I'm only giving the other books a four rating even though I really enjoyed all of them. They give a glimpse into life that makes us realize how important hard work and cheerfulness and determination really are and how much they can impact our success in life.
Don
My favorite Ralph Moody book so far. His memoirs of growing up in 1910's America show how much life has changed in 100 years. I doubt teens today could do half of what they did back then.
Allyson
This is the first Moody book I've read, so I can't say anything about this installment compared to the rest of the series; but I can say that I loved every page of this one and was itching to read some passages aloud, even if just to myself! :) Grandfather, Millie, and Uncle Levi are true New Englanders to the core and the interaction going on amongst themselves and with Ralph is so very entertaining on a number of levels! Aside from just the humor and colloquial fun of the book, there are also ...more
Barbara
Oct 25, 2008 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Families who like to read books aloud together
Though all the Ralph Moody books are well-written and are good for families to read aloud together, this ohe is my personal favorite. It shows how a teen-age boy and his ornery grandfather who could get along with no one managed to live and work together in spite of their differences in age and outlook. Thjeir relationship was tested often as the grandfather kep calling Ralph a "tarnal fool" when he wanted to use more modern technology on their farm, when he wanted to use eggs in cooking , etc. ...more
Sandra
Jun 10, 2014 Sandra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 12 yo and up
I am stuck trying to think of something to say that won't, in some way, spoil it a little bit....therefore, I'll recommend Ralph Moody's autobiographic series of books be first read in its queue up to Fields of Home to reap the most pleasure. Oh, read it! It is my favorite so far. This is the 2nd x read of The Fields of Home for my son and I. ~~ Now I am editing - just to say that Moody's next book, "Shaking the Nickel Bush", is not to be missed! A gem...and if you are fortunate, you will listen ...more
BowbytheBay
Wonderful book in this series which I highly recommend. Especially good for parents raising a boy to read this aloud. There are lots of opportunities to pull "life lessons" from these books. I cruised through this one because it was so good and because I have a bad cold and I couldn't do much else.

In this installment Ralph goes to Maine to live with his grandpa and help him farm. His grandpa is difficult to live with (an understatement!), but they find a way to get along by the end. I got a litt
Elaine
I love this series! This one takes Ralph back to his rural days, after his adventures (and mis-adventures) in Medford, MA and he's back and forth at his cantankerous grandfather's farm in ME, until he realizes this farm is 'home' to him. I wouldn't say this was one of my favorite in the series, but I loved the progression from being a proud teen who had a deal with an over-the-top grump of a Grandpa to a humble young man who helps his grandfather to overcome his own pride and finally start accep ...more
Kassie
I loved this installment in the Ralph Moody biographical series. To my mind, this is the best one, after the first, Little Britches.
I love the characters of his grandfather, Millie and Uncle Levi. This would be a fun one to read aloud to be able to put all the life into the words of Grandfather. He's a hoot. Lots of good lessons to be learned from this book.
Morgan
This is seriously one of my most favorites book series ever!
Rebecca Jessup
I am in the middle of reading this aloud to my husband for the second time. We love it. We now live in Maine, a couple of hours from the scenes where most of this book takes place, and when we drive around the Maine countryside we sometimes see a place that we'll call Ralph Moody's field, or sometimes Ralphie's field -- one with a ton of rocks in it.
I love Moody's writing -- his metaphors, his approach to the story, the way he is able to write from the perspective he had at the time rather than
An Odd1
1912 Medford Massachussetts Ralph 15 gets sent by widowed mother with large family to her father Tom Gould's farm near Lewiston, to appease city police chief with eyes on reform school. In smooth shaded illustration, by oil lanterns, old iron cookstove, deep forest -- balky heifer tugs rope, shy sweethearts catch glimpses, fresh home baking steams apple scent into air. A brow is furrowed in concentration, brow dried of sweat, dynamite blows roots and jay hither thither.
"His younger brother, Uncl
Melody
Easily my least favorite of the series. Grandfather's an evil, abusive, horrible man. I don't give the proverbial south end of a northbound rat that he shows his softer side by the end, he's still a pure D jerk. Every time he opened his mouth to berate someone, I cringed. Every time he begrudged Ralph or Millie the very food they ate, I got mad.

This book was also much more overtly religious than the others, with the unlikely proselytizer being the evil grandfather. I can't imagine that such a d
Vivian
Most people who read this book have probably already read "Little Britches" in which Ralph Moody introduces himself and his hurried journey into manhood. In this installment his mother doesn't know what to do with Ralph as he turns 15 and finally decides to ship him up to Maine to spend a year with her father. Ralph is not keen about this and entertains thoughts of going back out west on his own.

Ralph decides to stay with his grandpa -- at least for a day. A day turns into a week turns into a m
T.K. Naliaka
This is the fifth book in a series often considered the boy's equivalent of the "Little House on the Prairie" series. A beautifully-presented edition of the account of a boy growing up, with real-life hardships and challenges, a very personal account of family and people making it through despite tough circumstances, yet always with the bracing expectation that boys were expected to act like men in the face of adversity.
Alexis Neal
Not quite as good as Man of the Family or Little Britches. Moody's grandfather is infuriating to read . . . I can't imagine what he was like to live with. I was reminded of the frustration I felt in reading James Herriot's accounts of his partner Sigfried (though Moody was not quite as long-suffering as Herriot). I suppose, too, it was refreshing to see Moody's brilliant ideas fall short a few times (after essentially two whole books about his agricultural, equestrian, and engineering genius)--e ...more
Diana
Great audiobook reader. The story of a teen boy who is sent to live with his stubborn and ornery old grandpa. Grandpa is a farmer and is determined to do everything like he was taught by his father, even if there are new-fangled machines to do it quicker and easier. Their relationship evolves throughout the story.
Rodney Haydon
It’s time again for me to visit with my pal Ralph Moody. This time I am not reading these books in any particular order, just whatever tickles my fancy.
Christine
This was my favorite from this series. Grandpa was kind of a jerk sometimes, but this book brought a bunch of good laughs.
Yougo
Sep 30, 2013 Yougo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Yougo by: home school group
Another great installment in the Little Britches series. I can't say enough about how great this series is. Compelling, entertaining and poignant. This book starts with Ralph visiting his grandfather, perhaps the most crotchety and mean old man 'ever there was'. Through much difficulty, Ralph and his uncle begin to gain understanding into grandfather and grandfather begins to soften. By the end, they've earned and learned a mutual respect. Chock full of great insight as well as funny tidbits, I ...more
The grandfather's ornery personality almost made me quit reading half way through. He is the epitome of a cantankerous individual and Ralph did an excellent job of bringing that to life on paper. I'm glad I finished the book to see how the grandfather finally came to terms with his life. It was a good reminder to me that loving others may not always be pleasant, but it can be life saving for them.

All that aside, I think I'm done reading about Ralph Moody's life. "Little Britches" was definitely
Amy
Ralph at 15 finds himself living with his grandfather on his Massachusetts ranch and has a dickens of a time with the crotchety old man. A good part of this book was really discouraging, but through hard work and swallowing his pride time and again, they eventually develop a heartwarming love for each other. Reading about the pull of the land and connection that he feels to it and his family stirred some feelings in me about the land I grew up on. The power one person can have in another's life ...more
Mitzi
Although still a good book, and definitely an integral part of his life, this is probably my least favorite (of what I've read so far) in the Ralph Moody Little Britches series. I was just really bothered by how mean and verbally abusive Thomas is..... Such a difference from the kind of relationship Ralph had with his father. Although I'm glad for the changes he made over time, it made me wonder what life would have been like for Ralph's mother when she was growing up.
Jennifer Forsberg
Great book about patience and hard work
Spencer
Ralph has to move away and live with his grandpa, who is old fashioned, cantankerous, and hard to get along with. Ralphs sticks it out and learns how to break his grandpa and his grandpa's old horse, too. I never liked hearing when his grandpa would yell and bad-mouth his grandson when it seemed entirely unjustified.

Things work out and by the end of the book it's hard not to love grandpa Gould and his brother, too.
Bonnie
The boys & I are reading this one, but I read ahead and know the outcome. As much as they claim "Unfair!" I always read ahead in Ralph Moody's books.
This book isn't as optimistic as the others in the series, as it chronicles an exile with a very trying, irrational family member. But Ralph perseveres and works through difficulties, resulting in good relationships in the family and a profitable farm.
MizziQ
This is a great sequel to "Man of the family" I loved the first one and this book compliments it very well. Showing how the main character has matured and still has some room for improvement. I just recently found these books on my brother's bookshelf and I am happy to say it has become one of my all-time favorites! Thumbs up! :)
Ashley
This one was a lot harder to get through. Ralph moves to live with his really mean Grandfather, and the first two thirds of the book is all about how they don't get along. I almost didn't finish it, but I would have been sorry. I like some of the lessons you can take from it if you look deep enough. You reap what you sow. :0)
Kari
This was a pretty meandering story. It ended well, and I'm glad Ralph put his and others' emotions into it, because those should be in there. I can't give it 5 stars, or even 4, and I debated three, but it's not a bad story, and (if I could splice the more interesting parts together) I'd read it again and even to someone else.
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Volume One)
  • Laddie: A True Blue Story
  • George Washington Carver: Man's Slave Becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)
  • The Great Little Madison
  • The Reb and the Redcoats
  • Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
  • No Life for a Lady
  • George Washington
  • American Dictionary of the English Language
  • A Father's Promise
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Shadow Hawk (Vintage Ace, 75991)
  • Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?
  • Viking Adventure
  • Camp 30 (Camp X, #2)
  • The Real Thomas Jefferson: The True Story of America's Philosopher of Freedom
  • Tree in the Trail
  • The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow
Ralph Moody was an American author who wrote 17 novels and autobiographies about the American West. He was born in East Rochester, New Hampshire, in 1898 but moved to Colorado with his family when he was eight in the hopes that a dry climate would improve his father Charles's tuberculosis. Moody detailed his experiences in Colorado in the first book of the Little Britches series, Father and I Were ...more
More about Ralph Moody...

Little Britches (8 books)
  • Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches, #1)
  • Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2)
  • The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3)
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • Shaking the Nickel Bush (Little Britches, #6)
  • The Dry Divide (Little Britches, #7)
  • Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)
Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches, #1) Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2) The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3) Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4) Shaking the Nickel Bush (Little Britches, #6)