Start by marking “The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3)

The Home Ranch (Little Britches #3)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,039 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Ralph Moody turns again to Colorado, the scene of those two delightful earlier books about his boyhood, Little Britches and Man of the Family.
This is an extension of Mr. Moody's recollections of his twelfth year, and fits withing the framework of Man of the Family between chapters 25 and 26.

The Home Ranch has all the warm and wonderful ingredients which made his first two
Published 1994 by Bison Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Home Ranch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Home Ranch

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryTrue Grit by Charles PortisBlood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Best Westerns
136th out of 701 books — 937 voters
Elsie by Barbara Anne WaiteWe Pointed Them North by E.C. "Teddy Blue" AbbottLetters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt StewartA Texas Cowboy by Charles A. SiringoRoughing It by Mark Twain
The Old West in First Person
12th out of 119 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexis
Apr 08, 2009 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
I just finished reading this book to the boys (8 and 6). As a read-aloud I really can't say enough about this series. First and foremost, these are true stories, a fact that really seems to resonate with my boys. Second, Ralph Moody lives according to a moral code that is impeccable. Moody or "Little Britches" treasures hard-work, honesty, integrity, and goodness. And finally, these stories are just plain fun to read. It is easy to become absorbed in the childhood of Little Britches. Indeed it i ...more
Christy
Mar 24, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it
This is the third book, but chronologically it takes place about 3/4 through the 2nd book. I thought it odd, while reading the second book, that his summer working for Batchlett only took a chapter. I was right, it took a whole book. :).

We really enjoyed the lessons he learned; I like to think of one of them as his Arbinger moment. He saw he was doing the same things that Hank was doing, so he couldn't be mad at Hank anymore and made the appropriate personal changes.

I love how he tries to hold
L.
Apr 14, 2015 L. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes reading about the depression era and life in the west
Recommended to L. by: A librarian when I was 11
I'm reading the entire Ralph Moody anthology of his childhood and growing-up years. These books were my favorites as an adolescent and they hold just as much action, poignancy and honesty as they did in the past. "Little Britches", as he is commonly called by the men he works for (and with) gets a new job offer that pays $1.00 a day. However, since his Father has passed away and his mother is always cognizant of danger, he expects her to say no. Ralph is about twelve at the time and already a tr ...more
An Odd1
Dec 27, 2014 An Odd1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
May 1911 Denver. Ralph Moody narrates his twelfth year as hand on ranch of cow trader Mr Blatchlett. Chapter titles are themes. Drawings add reality. Much of first "A Boy needs a man's hand" sounds familiar, explaining why Ma lets her eldest work away for a prime salary of a dollar a day under a good mentor.

"Ornery milk cows" p 19 introduces the home ranch outfit. Mr Brendt bosses when Blatchlett when telegram from wife bearing son (already born?). Gray mustached Hank constantly harps back "By
Elaine
Jun 19, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Another great installment! This kid had a fascinating life! This one focuses on the summer he worked as a cowhand away at a ranch, for a cattle trader. I think he was 12 years old, among all these older cowhands, and he really held his own! He went through some pretty scary moments-getting lost and almost starving to death, stuck in a dust storm, flash flood, witnessing a pretty bad brawl, and then riding all night for 70 miles, part of it on his own, in search of his employer. What 12-year-old ...more
T.K. Naliaka
Jan 17, 2015 T.K. Naliaka rated it really liked it
This is the third book in a series often considered the boy's equivalent of the "Little House on the Prairie" series. A beautifully-presented edition of the account of a boy growing up, with real-life hardships and challenges, a very personal account of family and people making it through despite tough circumstances, yet always with the bracing expectation that boys were expected to act like men in the face of adversity.
Celeste Batchelor
Oct 20, 2014 Celeste Batchelor rated it it was amazing
I do enjoy seeing things from Little Britches point of view. Some of the phrases make me laugh out loud. I can see a young man with the desire to make his parents proud at every turn and feeling real shame when he doesn't measure up. It is a real shame that our youth of today do not have these qualities. What a better place the world would be if we all had principles to live by like they did then.

My wish is that every family would read these books together and discuss them. There is no discussio
Sara
Mar 29, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-school-year
While I hated the fact that Man of the Family ended in the middle of a crisis and that this was the next book in the series (and it goes backward in time to the last 1/3rd of Man of the Family) the book itself is part of Ralph Moody's fascinating and moral childhood. I was as impressed with this book as I was with the first or second. I think that Mary Emma and Company is probably the very best of the series (closely followed by The Fields of Home) but I can see that this book is more representa ...more
Linda
Jun 20, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
In Home Ranch Little Britches spends the summer working at a cattle ranch. A theme seen in Hank the annoying ranch hand, and the Blueboy the runaway horse, is everyone/everything has at least one heroic moment. What a good book!
Denae Christine
Dec 17, 2009 Denae Christine rated it it was amazing
Historical. I love Little Britches. He's always trying to remember the lessons his dad gave him, and he's trying to be a man, but he only weighs 72 pounds!
He's always learning, working, trying new things, and getting into trouble. It's not because he's ornery, but because he's so curious and daring. He's proud at first, but getting lost in the Rockies teaches him the wisdom he needs to keep his job and win all the loves of his life: a blue outlaw horse, praise from his boss, experience of a life
Melody
Sep 16, 2011 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heard, memoir
This is book 3 in the series, but chronologically it fits about 3/4 of the way through book 2, which is odd. I suppose there was less of a market for long memoirs when this first came out, and it makes some sense to split the ranching job part into its own book, but since the ending of book 2 is sort of a cliff-hanger, it's disconcerting to pick up this one and find yourself going back in time.

I do love this series. Moody's insights and integrity are stellar. The anecdotes are understated but il
Julie
Feb 02, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
These books are becoming near and dear to my heart and reading them to my kids will be one of my cherished memories! This one has Hazel, who made us laugh much.
Alisha Bonnell
Mar 31, 2014 Alisha Bonnell rated it it was amazing
for everyone who loves everything cowboys...this is the book for you!
it is very appropriate and a great book to sit down and read!!
Melissa
Mar 02, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
I loved this book even more than the first one in the series, although it's definitely a 5 start too. Maybe I loved it so much because of my obsessive love of horses when I was growing up, I can relate to many of Ralph's feelings. Ralph is a little older (11 or 12 I think) in this book and takes a summer job earning a man's pay. It's the kind of book you want your kids to read because it's not just a fun, adventurous story, but the underlying moral, what makes a boy a man... a good man, is so we ...more
Sarah G
Feb 01, 2016 Sarah G rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book in the Little Britches series, by Ralph Moody. Highly recommended reading.
Julia Bowling
Nov 01, 2015 Julia Bowling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The best one of the series! A must-read-aloud for families!
Sue
May 10, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
Great history and biography of the early years in the West.
Jessie Gussman
Dec 05, 2015 Jessie Gussman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Moody is a master story-teller. The characterization of Hazel in this book is tops. My daughters feel like they know her.
Mitzi
Jul 08, 2012 Mitzi rated it really liked it
Although this is the third book in the Ralph Moody series, chronologically it takes place toward the end of "Man of the Family," when Ralph spends his summer working for Mr. Batchlett. It too is a great book, and I definitely need to read it to my kids. I think my boys especially would love it. I was intrigued by the different personalities and group dynamics of those at the ranch, but I'm looking forward to getting back to the story with the rest of his family members as well.
Deanna
Mar 17, 2010 Deanna rated it liked it
These are the best books for young men! The young men in my house don't like the cowboy thing though so it's not flying here. But my daughter Olivia absolutely loves these books and has reread some of them.

These books are especially great to teach about hard work and responsibility.

They move a little slow sometimes but they are full of little gems and funny situations.

Mr. Moody had quite a life! I'm so grateful he took the time to share it with all of us.
Cecelia Bytheway
May 10, 2015 Cecelia Bytheway rated it really liked it
Fun read about cowboys and ranch hands and cattle.
Melanie
Mar 19, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, audio
Another great sequel in the Little Britches series. There are some very heart-warming parts in this story as Ralph experiences real-life situations that teach him powerful lessons. I highly recommend this series. We haven't read them aloud to our children yet, but I hope to someday. I think it would be a great family read for kids ages 10 and up because by then they would be old enough to understand and relate to the main character.
Joanna
May 29, 2013 Joanna rated it it was amazing
I just think these books are amazing. At first I really looked up the father for how he treated his children with such respect yet expected a lot out of them. Then through this book, I was so impressed with the mother and how she was so great through so much adversity. Really good books for anyone who is a parent or just loves a great story. These are all non-fiction I should add. All of this really happened.
Sara
Oct 03, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
This was our most recent family read aloud. I LOVE this Ralph Moody series, as does my entire family. While we enjoyed this book, we really yearned to get to the next book where the story continues. This one just went back and was about a time period during the second book that Ralph spent on a cattle ranch. We liked the book, but are way excited to get to the next one!
Jessica
Aug 08, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
This delves into Ralph's relationships with other people who made a difference in his life. Thatgoes for horses too.Zeb-She wore a yellow Ribbon, Sid-short red head, Hank- ole codger, Mr. Batchlett-the Boss, Mr. Bendt-Hazel dad who allowed trick rideing,Hazel-friend who is a girl and trick rides.

I loved it and read it camping.

Anything in life worth having takes time.
Olivia
Apr 01, 2015 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Just rereading for a book club, I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!

Updated: I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what else to say, I love the expression and the way these books are written, it makes you feel like you're actually there.

I love this book!!!!!!(Oh, wait, I said that already!)
Shiloah
I loved this book. So much goodness to learn from.
Janice
Aug 30, 2015 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages nine to ninety-nine +
Shelves: owned-books
I love this book. This is the third one of the set. If it is read between chapter 25 and chapter 26 of Man of the Family, it will fall right in the place it should be for the time it occurred. I have liked all three books equally. ALL OF THEM 5 STARS +.
Nickie
Feb 09, 2009 Nickie rated it really liked it
This is when Ralph is 12 and goes to Mr. Blanchlett's ranch for the summer. I really liked how Ralph learns why he dislikes Hank so much. He finds himself in need of improvement and makes changes to be better. It's fun. The kids would not let me stop.
Yougo
Apr 18, 2013 Yougo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Becky Chatwin
Another amazing installment in the Little Britches series. A wonderful, inspiring and totally amazing biographical story of Ralph Moody. Entertaining and inspiring for both kids and adults, I cannot recommend it highly enough. A definite MUST read!
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Volume One)
  • The Great Little Madison
  • A Bride Goes West
  • Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
  • Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • No Life for a Lady
  • George Washington Carver: Man's Slave Becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • Diary of an Early American Boy
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor (The Story of the World #1)
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Hubener vs. Hitler: A Biography of Helmuth Hubener, Mormon Teenage Resistance Leader
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
Ralph Moody was an American author who wrote 17 novels and autobiographies about the American West. He was born in East Rochester, New Hampshire, in 1898 but moved to Colorado with his family when he was eight in the hopes that a dry climate would improve his father Charles's tuberculosis. Moody detailed his experiences in Colorado in the first book of the Little Britches series, Father and I Were ...more
More about Ralph Moody...

Little Britches (8 books)
  • Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches #1)
  • Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2)
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)
  • Shaking the Nickel Bush (Little Britches, #6)
  • The Dry Divide (Little Britches, #7)
  • Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)