Start by marking “The New Brighton Archeological Society” as Want to Read:
The New Brighton Archeological Society

The New Brighton Archeological Society

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Out of the ashes of misfortune will rise the next generation of great adventurers! After their parents are lost on an archeological expedition, four children begin to unlock the secrets of their parents' mysterious lives, discovering a hidden world of mystical artifacts, mythical creatures, and arcane knowledge. Soon they find themselves drawn into a conflict over a great ...more
Published March 4th 2009 by Image Comics (first published November 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The New Brighton Archeological Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Brighton Archeological Society

Miss Michael
Meh. If graphic novels can be complex and developed, and kid's books can be complex and developed, what's stopping this graphic novel for kid's from being complex and developed?
The New Brighton Archeological Society is a really fun and interesting read for younger teens. When I first opened this graphic novel, the first thing that I did was take in the illustrations. They are beautifully done. I loved how the illustrations are full of contrasts. There are lights... there are darks, and it all seems to fit in with the tone that the novel is currently undergoing.

The story itself within The New Brighton Archeological Society was fantastic. It is a mixture of mythical cre
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
I really enjoyed The Castle of Galomar. It's a fun addition to children's graphic novels, and is a quick, easy read for all ages.

Our four young heroines, Joss, Cooper, Becca and Benny, are part of the New Brighton Archeological Society, a society intent on continuing the work their parents left unfinished. On their travels in the woods, they meet Mitch the goblin: butterscotch addict and owner of humongous cat Moloch. Together they set off to Galomar's castle, to stop him from stealing important
Following the death of their archeologist parents, four children start to uncover secrets from their parent's mysterious past, embarking on their own adventures and discovering a variety of artifacts and mythical creatures along the way.

I ordered this book because I'd read a couple of decent reviews suggesting it would fit snugly in a genre I've clunkily dubbed 'intelligent-funny-and-generally-awesome-children's-books-that-adults-will-love-too'. While there is much to like and lots of potential
I grabbed this from a pile of new books because it stood out. Paging through it, I thought the graphics colorful and animated, with a nice amount of detail in both the forefront characters/objects and the backgrounds. The concept teased on the back cover sounded exciting--a group of four kids take up the archeological work of their parents Indiana Jones style after the parents disappear, and stumble into a conflict over a great library that has kept two magical kindoms at war for enturies. Unfor ...more
The Castle of Galomar is a fun and adventurous graphic novel for the younger set (middle grade). Instantly it gives off a bit of A Series of Unfortunate Events vibe for me, parents disappearing under mysterious circumstances but this time around the kids have more than their siblings to rely on!

The Castle of Galomar is a mixture of mystery, adventure, fables, goblins and fairies! I think most kids that are interested in mysteries and adventures would enjoy this graphic novel. It's definitely set
Why I read this: I am just simply in love with graphic novels and when I saw the cover of this one, I knew I had to read it. The illustrations on the cover alone are fantastic and I loved the subject of this graphic novel.

Plot: It's a fun-filled plot full of discovery, adventure and some really cool magical aspects. It has it's good versus evil underlying plot and I love the connection between their parents and what they are doing. Definitely a series my students would enjoy!

Characters: Graphica
A nice strong first effort at an all ages title by the team of Mark Andrew Smith and and Matthew Weldon. The children of the world's greatest explorers are suddenly orphaned and taken in by their godparents. As they go about discovering more about their parents' explorations they find out why their parents were murdered and magic. They befriend the son of the rulers of a goblin encampment, and we as readers experience their first adventure together. The plot is fine, as is the idea. The pace of ...more
***Dave Hill
The first collection of the tales of some child adventurers, children of adventuring parents, seeking to discover their parents' travels, their mysterious deaths, and, perhaps, assisting some new-found goblin friends against fairy raids.

I really, really, really wanted to like this a lot. In the end, I liked it some. The story is fun -- Unfortunate Events Lite, in a way, but with some action and adventure. But the plot felt choppy, the art sometimes to pretty for its own sake (and it not always b
Ho-hum. The writing was pretty average and the dialogue stilted, there were too many convenient leaps in the story and the art made the characters look like muppets. Nothing new here.
Need book 2 plz
This has a lot of potential. It's a comic directed at young readers - I think - but as the series goes on I expect it will get better and more adult-readable.

The art is quirky and very consistent; the kids are charming. The dialogue is a little encyclopaedic at times - gets expository and overlong - but that's a very small quibble.

This first story bored me in places, but a first volume is rarely an indicator of how good the series will be. I think it will improve a lot with time.
What a disappointment. This was recommended by actual kids who did like it very much, so probably I'm missing something. The premise is fine: four newly orphaned children decide to take on their archeologist parent’s work, meeting goblins, fairies, monsters, and trying to save a mysterious library. But I found the dialogue really fake and the storyline hard to follow. The illustrations are good though. I’d definitely recommend The Elsewhere Chronicles or Amulet series first.
This cartoonish graphic novel is a fun adventure. The four recently orphaned characters take up the mantle of their parents and begin their own chapter of the New Brighton Archeological Society. A camping trip in the woods leads them on a new and exciting mission, and I can't wait to see what is in store next for the group. Children ages six to ten will especially like the fast-pace and supernatural characters.
Urban fantasy/Steam punk style graphic novel for kids. What's not to love?

I loved the art, but the plot was a little choppy. My kids said it was "great, but a little confusing". I think that was from the jumps in the plot.

My sons have read it repeatedly since the first read, though, and are asking about the next one. That's what really counts, right?
Mary Beth
I actually would like to shave off a half star for this one, as I feel that it could have done with some better editing. The story makes some odd jumps and the action is jumpy. I ended up having to make up a bunch of stuff to fill in the gaps when I read it to Rabbit(who LOVED it). It was fun and we will pursue the next edition, but it was not really a full 4-star book in my opinion.
I liked the idea of this book more than the actual book. But I haven't read too many graphic novels, so maybe I'm just not used to the genre yet! I liked what it did with the flashback at the beginning, but overall I found the storyline a bit hard to follow - I kept wondering if I'd accidentally missed a page.
Fun adventure comic. Kids taken in by old couple after their parents die on an adventure. They piece together their parent's pass and try to follow in their footsteps. Reminds a little of Naifeh's Courtney Crumrin comics. Good stuff.
I felt like I started reading this in the middle of the story. The sparse text in the beginning made me feel lost, and then caught me up midway through the book. Funky illustrations.
It was nice to see more multicultural characters in a kids' graphic novel. Though it's nothing groundbreaking, there's lots of humor, fantasy and fun in this one.
Louise Bendall
Four orphans stumble onto the secret society started by their parents and the adventure begins, complete with good goblins and evil fairies. Very cool illustrations!
Well constructed all around. Cool art, fun story that riffs on traditional magical creatures and lore but with creative twists. Looking forward to book 2!
This was so much fun!! A fabulous adventure for all ages with battles and scary woods and a mystery. Loved it and can't wait for the second volume.
I enjoyed this, and thought it might make a good movie, but it was a graphic novel.......I just couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Sean Llewellyn Williams
Finding the characters a little hard to tell apart. Their age is ambiguous too. Very confusing. Art is otherwise beautiful, though.
This is neither a good thing nor a bad thing, but the art in this reminds me a lot of the artistry in the TV show Super Why.
Ed Erwin
Nice artwork, but the story is just one random thing after another and the characters speak with the same voice.
Meh. Too much of the action happened in pictures, not enough in words for my taste.
Mar 12, 2011 Mandy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mandy by: boingboing
Very cute and fun and beautifully drawn. I'm looking forward to the next book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Gladstone's School for World Conquerors Sullivan's Sluggers Popgun Volume 3 The Amazing Joy Buzzards: Volume 1 Aqua Leung