Start by marking “I Am Potential: Eight Lessons on Living, Loving, and Reaching Your Dreams” as Want to Read:
I Am Potential: Eight Lessons on Living, Loving, and Reaching Your Dreams

I Am Potential: Eight Lessons on Living, Loving, and Reaching Your Dreams

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  49 reviews
As featured on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and "Oprah," this is the powerful story of young, blind musician Patrick Henry Hughes and his courageous lessons for living with faith.
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Potential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Potential

Diana
Patrick Henry Hughes was born with a genetic disorder so that his arms don't straighten, he is unable to walk and he is blind. Is he "disabled"? Read the book and you will find that he loves life and does so many things that the rest of us will never do....maybe we are the ones who are "disabled." When he was very young he began playing the piano and his musical talents, including singing, have expanded from there.
I have seen him on TV on "Ellen", "Oprah," and then his family was suprised with
Beth
This is not a book to read if you're looking for brilliant, flowing prose. You will not be inspired by its complex sentences and its lyrical phrases.

Despite all that, this is a book that will inspire you. When you read the story of Patrick Henry Hughes, you will feel like he and his father, Patrick John, are sitting in your living room, telling it right to you. There's no denying that you feel as if you have become a part of their family during the short 200 pages of this book.

My husband and I w
Annie
Feb 09, 2009 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annie by: Graydon
Shelves: memoirs
I received this book from my husband on Christmas morning and he wasn’t too sure about (What he said) was my unenthusiastic reaction. However, I am so glad he did! This is the inspiring story of Patrick Henry Hughes’s life. He was born with a rare genetic disorder, his limbs were underdeveloped and could never be straight, he couldn’t walk and he was born with no eyes. His parents were devastated, understandably so, and this was their first child. Soon, his mom and dad moved past their grief and ...more
Miranda Wiglesworth
I am potential is a very inspiring story. Patrick Henry Hughes is a person who has over came many obstacles. He was born with "multiple anomalies" and was very positive about it. Even when his parents were not. This book is a good book to read when you are wanting to give up on yourself or as a teacher when you want to give up on a student. If anyone does, Patrick Henry Hughes had every right to wallow in self-pity. However he did just the opposite. He thanked God for the oppurtunities he does h ...more
Brent Monroe
This book really lifts up your spirits. Some of the experiences are a little out of chronological order, but the story and meaning behind them are good.

Patrick Henry gave readers a very insightful look into his and his family's life. He was very descriptive at times and made you feel that you were experencing things right along with him.

Patrick Henry and his family show you what families should be like, loving and helping each other unconditionaly.

It would be a good book to go back and read peri
Deb
You may have hear of Patrick Henry Hughes--born with severe disabilities, including blindness, he nevertheless has an amazing musical talent and zest for life. He and his dad are regulars on the field with the University of Louisville marching band--even though Patrick is in a wheelchair. In this book Patrick shares the story of his life so far and the principles that have helped him overcome adversity and excel despite enormous challenges. It is a very inspiring story and one I definitely recom ...more
Doug
Blind, trapped in a wheelchair, and happy as can be. This is Patrick Henry Hughes. In college, in the marching band, has a girlfriend, plays both piano and trumpet, and happy as can be. This is also Patrick Henry Hughes.

This was for me a wonderfully enjoyable book about choosing which half of the glass you want - half full or half empty. Mr. Hughes consistently chooses the full half and does so with a wonderful grace and humility.

This was a wonderful read.
Ian
Patrick Henry Hughes was born on March 10, 1988 to Patricia and Patrick John Hughes with several physical abnormalities, which included bilateral anophthalmia (no eyes), the inability to straighten his arms and legs, and two steel rods surgically attached to his spine to correct scoliosis. Thanks to the determination of his parents, Patrick Henry has become a nationally known singer, pianist and trumpeter and has recently graduated from the University of Louisville with a degree in Spanish, wher ...more
Marci
I haven't actually finished this book. It is too hard to finish. This book is interesting and the people are great, but it is like having to reading a Reader's Digest interview of two people for 200 pages. The first 40 pages could be enough, but it just keeps going on and on and on. I feel like I am in a room with the father and son, listening to a casual conversation between the two of them about their life together. Their convseration is cool and they are nice people, but after an hour or so I ...more
Anne Marie Gazzolo
I loved reading the sections from Patrick Henry, a young man who is blind and cannot walk, but who sees more and better than most people. He does not have disabilities; he has abilities. I love his cheerful attitude. He does not live in darkness; he lives in the light. We should be so lucky to live as fully and determinedly as he does. He has also transformed his father from self-absorbion to selfless devotion. Thank God for their example!
Kayla Wietrzykowski
I bought this book after watching Patrick Henry perform at a service at Cedar Creek church, which was an amazing, uplifting experience. (I'm telling you, this guy's the real deal.) This book was so inspirational, and not in a sappy, superficial way, but in a way that is unintimidating and real. This book made me realize the importance of loving others and looking for God's blessings every day. As a Christian, Patrick Henry's story also painted a picture of God's providence and blessings during u ...more
Dina
I have to admit, I'm only about halfway through this book, and I'm really trying to slog through it. I ordered it for work, so I hope other people enjoy it more than I am. I'm finding it frustratingly repetitive so far. For example, his name (Patrick Henry) is repeated in practically every sentence of the book. And I don't need the fact that he was a good baby and that his father didn't take a lot of responsibility in the beginning pounded into my brain on every page. Its sad. I think his story ...more
Greg Van Vorhis
This is not a high-minded book for studious people. It is a simple book about a simple family and a simple son with an inspirational story. I have seen him speak and perform in person and I have watched his family on Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Very inspirational.
Nancy
Patrick was born without eyes, no hip sockets and is unable to straighten out his arms and legs normally. Rather than institutionalize him or hide him away, his parents teach him the wonders of life. He is an accomplished musician who plays both the trumpet and piano. He is a full participator from him wheelchair- thanks to his dad- in his college marching band. In college and majoring in Spanish, he hopes to one day work for the state department as some sort of ambassador. I AM Potential is tol ...more
Rhonda Buedefeldt
Inspirational! Patrick Henry has accomplished all he wished to do thus far in life through the pure strength of will and sincere faith from his parents who trusted in God to provide the tenacity their son needed to live a fulfilling life!
Robin O'Brien
This story is true to life in the descrptions of many very personal memories of a father and son.
But more importantly how a families love and dedication to one another with a focus on God can triumph.
I am so excited to know I will be present when Patrick and his father come too my church book club to hear Patrick play music this coming Monday. You are all welcome to this event.

Kelly
I greatly enjoyed this book. It made me think to appreciate the trials that I've had and that sometimes others have harder trials than we and we should be grateful and count our blessings. It was great to see the courage and resilience of this young man despite the things he was challenged with. FABULOUS READ!!
Cindy
I've seen Patrick twice at my church. To say he is inspiring would be an understatement. I throughly enjoyed reading his story. What determination and sincere joy he has for life. If you need a good kick in the pants reads this.
Rachel
Fantastic!! This is a true story on Patrick Henry Hughes. He's a very talented musician who is also blind and has physical disabilities. It's a beautiful story of he and his family and about the potential that is in us all. This is a must-read for everyone, especially our children!
Linda
This boy/man is a great person who influences people by his wonderful personality, determination, and love in his heart. These things were inate in him, but it seems his parents have done everything right to bring it out. It is heartwarming and a good lesson in life.
Lori
The story of a man born without eyes and with other disabilities but with musical talent. His father's devotion, patience and sacrifice for his son was the most amazing part of the story to me. I feel like I can never complain about my schedule ever again!
Cathy
This book is an auto-biography of the UofL band member who is blind and crippled who received a Home Extreme Makeover. I am amazed by his writing. If I didn't know he was Catholic, I would think he is LDS. He is a great inspiration to me.
Frances Ellen
Simple, straightforward and inspiring read about the life of Patrick Henry Hughes. It was not so much about the eight lessons why I enjoyed this book, but more about the attitude and tenacity of Patrick Henry, such a remarkable young man.
Aug 12, 2009 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jennifer by: Cindy Birch
Patrick Henry and his family are American heroes! As I read this book I couldn't help but think how different his life could have been without his sunny outlook and his parents determination to help him reach his potential.
April
Patrick Henry and his family are amazing and inspiring examples of creating the best from the challenges that they have been given. I enjoyed his positive outlook on life. This would be a good book to read as a family.
Michele
"When you share your unique gifts, you discover the path to your potential - the plan God had for you from the moment you were born. So, live now, give, now love now, and laugh as much as you can."
Patrick Henry Hughes
Kelly
This is a quick read and an inspirational story. There are some great life lessons intermixed with details of Patrick Henry's life. He has such a positive outlook on life and now has written a marvelous book.
Julie
I didn't think I would like this book because I thought it would be cheesy and needlessly emotional. So I was pleasantly surprised to find myself getting into it and appreciating it. It's easy to read.
Jen Jenson
I really enjoyed this book. I accidently deleted it from my books... I really enjoyed hearing of Patrick's story. Very inspirational and encouraging. He has such a great attitude and spirit! Highly Recommend.
Jill
A great story about appreciating what you have and not allowing obstacles stop you. While not necessarily deep spiritual thinking, it is a an uplifting life that will leave you valuing yours.
  • Stop Whining, Start Living
  • The Wheatgrass Book: How to Grow and Use Wheatgrass to Maximize Your Health and Vitality
  • Ten Degrees of Reckoning
  • Brothers in Hope: The Story of the Lost Boys of Sudan
  • Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs
  • Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
  • Planet of the Blind
  • America: The Last Best Hope, Volume 2: From a World at War to the Triumph of Freedom 1914-1989
  • Bringing Elizabeth Home: A Journey of Faith and Hope
  • The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language
  • 1906
  • Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • The Juicing Bible: Second Edition
Upon Patrick Henry Hughes birth the doctors noticed physical anomalies. He was diagnosed as bilateral anophthalmia with pterygium syondrome and congenital bilateral hip dysplasia.
In short he was born without eyes and he needs to live in a weel-chair, because his legs don't have the strength to hold him and he can't stretch his arms.
At the age of nine months he started to play piano and studied
More about Patrick Henry Hughes...

“At the end of the day, can you look back and say to yourself, "Today, my mother would be proud of me because I gave it all I had"? If you can, you will have had a very good day. And if you can do this every day, you will have a very good life.” 8 likes