Welcome! It looks like you still need
to set up your Goodreads account.
Malcolm

Malcolm

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Long out of print, James Purdy's novel Malcolm, first published in 1959, established Purdy as "one of the greatest writers produced in America during the past hundred years" (Dame Edith Sitwell). Malcolm is the bizarre story of an innocent young man of 'exceptional beauty' who becomes involved in a series of comic and poignant adventures. Taken under the wing of a famous a...more
Published January 1st 1994 by Serpent's Tail (first published 1959)

Mariel
Apr 08, 2012 Mariel rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: hum the blues from two streets away
Recommended to Mariel by: Simon
Hey, Lady Day, can you save my life again? My only
love has gone away will you be my only friend? Billie you're a genius
enough to be a fool a fool to gamble everything and never know the rules...
- 'My Only Friend' by The Magnetic Fields (my third favorite band if anyone is counting)

Word on the street is that James Purdy's Malcolm is based on Billie Holiday. I don't know because I've had my ear too close to the sidewalk cracks again and break your mama's back. My Billie Holiday knowledge is ste...more
Eddie Watkins
Just saw that Mr. Purdy has died, after a long productive and contrary life. Long live his novels! A true feisty independent and fantastic writer. He may be gone but it's never to late to discover him.

* * * *

This has the classic premise of an innocent being introduced to the vast variety of the world. Malcolm is a boy with the mysterious quality of a Kaspar Hauser-type figure. He has been abandoned by his father and left in what I assume is New York City,...more
Simon A. Smith
Read this book! What a fascinating story by such a fascinating author. Malcolm is an orphaned boy who meets a man named Mr. Cox who leads him on a wild odyssey throughout a nameless city. The predominantly wealthy and extravagent characters Malcolm meets along the way fight for his affection and struggle to capture his youth. In the end, the weary and drastically affected Malcolm discovers that the father he's been waiting and searching for, the source of all his confusion and angst, may never h...more
Djrmel
The blurb on the back of the 1967 Avon Paperback edition says, "Malcolm is the bizarre story of an innocent young man of "exceptional beauty" discovered sitting on a park bench one day waiting for his father. He gets up and goes on a remarkable odyssey meeting improbable characters in situations that are strange, ribald, and poignant." What it doesn't say is how dark this story is, as the "improbable characters" treat Malcolm as a possession rather than a fifteen year old boy. It's a sad story,...more
EMM
This novel was way more fun than I was led to believe. The gay content is pretty low though. The book is absurd and entertaining, surprisingly funny mostly because of the dialogue and the unbelievable characters starting with Malcolm himself. The main character is not a complete idiot, maybe 85 percent. Malcolm becomes a lighting rod for crazy possessiveness from a bunch of people that we could call eccentric if we wanted to be generous, but otherwise we would just call them lunatics, narcissist...more
Colin N.
What a really bizarre novel. "Malcolm" follows the strange journey of the title character, a 15 year old kid whose father has disappeared and who sits on a bench in front of his hotel every day. Malcolm is very much a blank slate, yet everyone he meets is charmed and immediately taken by him. After meeting an astrologer, Mr. Cox, one day, Malcolm is gradually introduced to ever-increasingly bizarre characters who befriend him.

"Malcolm" is often quite funny, the people and situations he finds hi...more
Kyle
This 1959 novel was extemely weird. The cover blurbs portray it as so shocking and outre at the time, but it was way too tame for me. There was hardly any overt homosexuality in it, nor really any overt sexuality of any kind. There were a bunch of weird artists and musicians and the plot seemed to kind of wimp out on making any kind of conclusion by having the main character die. Still, it was so weird that I couldn't stop reading it to see what would happen, although if I had known that there w...more
Barbara
It is a good adaptation of the novel by James Purdy.
Most of the dialogues are already in the novel, Albee in theses cases wrote the context.
Albee's use of language and Purdy's are very close, and the beauty of the play's language lies in how the most famous playwright translated Purdy's dialogues for the stage and how he linked the scenes of the two-acts play and summarized what he did not put on the stage from the novel.
I wonder what it might have been like on stage...
Mark
A truly interesting and unusual book. Has an almost children's book like quailty. Its characters and their adventures can be taken at face value or as symbols and work effectively either way. I can understand why Albee was drawn to dramatize it because it also has an abstractness that is reflective of his sensabililty. Satirical without being biting. Reminded me vaguely of Ronald Firbank. Intriguing.
Steve
Very unusual book. My understanding is that the end is his fever-dream account of his love affair with Billie Holiday. The rest is just, well, off the charts weird in an Alice-in-Wonderland way. Highly recommended for those interested in experimental literature. A strange narrative filled with strange characters.
Borden
I thought this book was hard to get into, but after about forty pages I was hooked. I love that character so much! I love all of the eccentrics that fill that book. I would have to throw out spoilers if I elaborated, but this is the best book I've read this year.
Jail
This book has a great "huh?" quality to it. The bizzare overly literate dialogue, the complete lack of plot, sentimental feelings and the weird ending where it seems almost like Purdy just sort of ended it in a fit of pique. I really liked it.
Chris
this book was hilarious. i seriously loled. i agree with the other reviewer about the ending. i thought it was pretty weak. otherwise, i had such a grand time reading the meat of this book. curl up with a nice mimosa and read yourself fabulous.
Pucifer
A comic picaresque tale featuring some of the funniest, campiest and most arch dialog ever written, with unexpected turns into the grotesque and heartbreaking. This novel, written in 1959, seems light-years ahead of its time.
Scott
I'm not ready to put my thoughts together on this one yet because I have a most serious head cold right now, but I really really liked it, and it made me smile through a sinus headache.
Francesco

Pesantuccio, ma in fin dei conti (o sul finir del libro) ne vale la pena!
Don
Purdy is not a well known writer. I loved this absurdist take on lost of innocence.
Selest
Selest marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Kirk Marshall
Kirk Marshall marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Davionne
Davionne marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Eduardo69
Eduardo69 marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
James Otis Purdy's "dark, often savagely comic fiction evoked a psychic American landscape of deluded innocence, sexual obsession, violence and isolation." (NY Times obituary) He was an author of novels, short stories, poetry and plays. His works were controversial and often panned by critics but received praise from authors such as Edward Albee, Lillian Hellman, Dorothy Parker and Gore Vidal.

Pur...more
More about James Purdy...
Eustace Chisholm and the Works In a Shallow Grave Narrow Rooms The Nephew 63, Dream Palace: Selected Stories, 1956-1987