Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Shanghai Union of Industrial Mystics (Feng Shui Detective, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shanghai Union of Industrial Mystics (Feng Shui Detective, #4)
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

The Shanghai Union of Industrial Mystics (Feng Shui Detective #4)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  19 reviews
All hell's breaking loose in Shanghai. A group of hyper-vegan terrorists are threatening to blow up the city. There's a potentially explosive white elephant on the loose and the world's two most important presidents are due to visit.
Paperback, 295 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by Polygon (first published 2005)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Shanghai Union of Industrial Mystics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shanghai Union of Industrial Mystics

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 240)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Natalia Pì
In order to like this book, the first thing you should do is stop expecting anything realistic - it is absolutely not realistic. Just try to see it as the literary equivalent of going to a fun fair when you're, say, 7 years old. If you do that, you'll have fun reading this book.

I've read it fast and enjoyed it immensely - I found it hilarious! It's a good story that grips you, but what is even nicer is the author's eye for different people's language quirks, as well as for poking (rather good-na
...more
Janet
What the hell? This was like a Monty Python skit crossed with the movie Sixteen Blocks and a generous dollop of insanity. I recommend you skip this book if you’re squeamish. Animal lovers may want to give it a pass as well. This book has a radically different style than Vittachi’s previous books. I was actually reading between my fingers at one point…trying to avoid what I knew was coming.
Philia
This is the second book I read by Nury Vittachi. Having read "Mr Wong Goes West", I have an idea of whatC.F. Wong the Feng Shui Master/detective and Joyce, his assistant are like, and I understand how Mr. Wong goes off tracks from the stories into his thoughts.

I really enjoyed this book much more than my first reading.

I got to say, the vegan episode really stir me up about our cruelty. For a moment, I've reconsidered returning to a vegetarian, but at the very least, it reminds me to be more mind
...more
Victoria Law
An entertaining read but probably pretty un-PC. A lot of the humor is based on characters' mistranslation or inability to translate English idioms. I found it entertaining, but I can see others wincing at many of the "lost-in-translation" jokes.

Along the lines of un-PC: Vegan terrorists who kidnap & torture people for eating meat? (There's another stereotype, but it contains a spoiler.) I have to admit though that this book originally caught my eye (and alerted me to the series) when I came
...more
Truly
Feng Shui dan cerita detektif, dua hal yang menarik perhatianku. Makanya begitu mengetaui bahwa ini adalah buku ketiga dari cerita seorang Detektif Feng Shui, segera diboyong ke kasir, tentunya berikut jilid 1 dan 2-nya.

Buku ketiga ini menceritakan sepak terbang C.F Wong. Mr Wong mendapat tugas khusus dari Mr Pun, si boss besar. Tugas khususnya adalah memberikan pelayanan Feng Shui kepada para anggota dewan direksi East Trade Industries secara gratis!

Yang menarik adalah, para dewan direksi ters
...more
Endah
C.F. Wong kembali beraksi. Kali ini melaksanakan misi khusus dari The Big Boss, Mr. Pun, untuk memberikan layanan pembacaan feng shui kepada para anggota dewan direksi East Trade Industries yang tersebar di beberapa negara : Filipina, Thailand, India, Hongkong, dan Australia. Maka, dengan ditemani asisten bulenya, Joyce McQuinnie, ia mendatangi tempat tinggal mereka satu persatu.
Dan sekali lagi, kedua pasangan unik ini harus mengalami peristiwa-peristiwa tak terduga selama menjalankan tugas mere
...more
Fe
Misi Khusus adalah seri pertama yang saya baca secara acak karena buku inilah yang pertama kali direkomendasikan kakak sepupu saya.

Prolognya sangat bagus apalagi epilognya. Sekarang saya kasihan pada Mr.Wong yang terperangkap prasangkanya sendiri sehingga kurang hati-hati dan malah jadi sial. Well, disinilah saya mengenal Mr.Sinha dan juga judul-judul korang yang anehnya minta ampun!!! Dan itu sangat kocak!

5 stars? STILL!
an
bilah rumput, bagaimana jika semua hal di dunia ini saling berhubungan? akhir adalah perjalanan dan perjalanan adalah akhir. semua yang ada di dunia ini ada titik seimbang na karena semua na dicipta dengan keunikan na masing-masing.

wong si master feng sui bukan detektif akhir na terjebak untuk memecahkan kasus dari klien-klien yang sedang mendapatkan pembacaan feng sui oleh na. dibantu dengan tenaga magang joyce yang kedang menyebalkan tapi sebenar na banyak membantu pennyelesaian dan sekretaris
...more
Rian Ramdani
sama halnya dengan seri detektif mama ramotswe yang menceritakan kasus dari pandangan yang berbeda,karena disini lebih ditonjolkan sisi komedinya. perbedaannya cuma detektife feng shui ini hadir seperti komik karena dalam satu buku menghadirkan beberapa chapter dengan kasus yang berbeda, sangat santai dan tidak terlalu berat untuk dibaca. namun sayangnya ada kasus yang tidak selesaikan dan memiliki cerita yang menggantung, dari cara penyelesaian pun mungkin tidak berdasarkan penyelidikannya tapi ...more
Jane
In general, I would suggest to publisher's marketing departments that describing a book as 'a feel good read' when it involves a scene depicting torture and murder may result in disgruntlement on the part of the reader.

I could've also done without the leaden political satire and over-the-top minor characters, which squeezed out the eccentric charm I enjoyed in other Feng Shui detective novels.

Luckily Vittachi's playful and astute way with the English language continues to delight, as does his
...more
Izzy Holmes
This was a very strange book with very macarbe scens of meals that were eatan at a restaurant where live fod was served to a very sad ending. However, it was laso in places quite funny.
it is about a feng shui master in Shanghai who is caught up in a bomb plot and has to use his assistant and some of the people he has invited to the Shanghai Union of Industrial Mystics to help stop the bomb plot. I really liked the little Chinese quotes on how to tackle life when different situations arise. So a
...more
Trish
It's pretty rare I come across a book it isn't possible to easily categorise. However, this has to be one. What it really isn't is a detective novel. With a central plot of trying to assassinate the Presidents of the US and China, you'd normally go with a thriller. However, an exploding elephant wouldn't usually be the weapon of choice... A weird and sometimes surreal/absurd black comedy, although buried underneath is some underlying commentary on modern China.
Ikarus
Ich habe noch nie einen so unrealistischen Roman gelesen, wobei nicht einzelne Handlungsstränge an sich unrealistisch sind (wie in einem Action-Film), sondern die Personen beständig unrealistisch agieren und unrealistische Fähigkeiten haben.
z.B. zieht jemand neu in eine Stadt und ist nach einer Woche bereits komplett integriert in einem neu aufgebautem Freundeskreis


Ich konnte dieses Buch nicht ertragen und habe das Lesen abgebrochen.
Sam Colloff
i have really enjoyed the rest of this series, but i found this book much less interesting. it was quite a bit longer than the others i have read, and the storyline just didn't seem strong enough to hold my attention. some scenes, including the torture descriptions and the elephant escape, simply didn't seem to belong in one of these books at all. lacking in all the witty, amusing charm that i have loved in the others of this series.
Elizabeth
I usually rate this writer highly but this mystery was a all over the place.
Angelic Zaizai
Super duper kocak.. detektifnya ampyun deh.. tapi keren, kasus2 beres semua..
Ludmilla Kostova
Loved reading it. Would like to read more books by the same author
Johannes
GOOD DETECTIVE BOOKS WITH UNPREDICTABLE ENDS.
C
Oct 02, 2012 C marked it as to-read
From Indie Book webinar
Olaitan
Olaitan marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Teatum
Teatum marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Ingrid Parker
Ingrid Parker marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Me Xiong
Me Xiong marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Child's Play (The Destroyer, #23)
  • The Return of the Emperor (Sten, #6)
  • Admiral Hornblower: Comprising Flying Colours, The Commodore, Lord Hornblower, Hornblower in the West Indies (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #8-11 omnibus)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • The Corn King and the Spring Queen (The Hera Series)
  • Turbulent Mirror: An Illustrated Guide to Chaos Theory and the Science of Wholeness
  • Virtual Reality: The Revolutionary Technology of Computer-Generated Artificial Worlds-And How It Promises to Transform Society
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest To Uncover The Books That Time Forgot
  • The Battersea Park Road to Enlightenment
  • Essential System Administration
  • Dragon Sleeping (The Dragon Circle #1)
  • Bloom
  • Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw - By the Man Who Did It
  • Stone
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The New Hacker's Dictionary
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
145858
Nury Vittachi is a journalist and author based in Hong Kong. His columns are published daily, weekly in a variety of newspapers in Asia as well as on his website. He is best known for the comedy-crime novel series The Feng Shui Detective, published in many languages around the world, but he has also written non-fiction works and novels for children. He is also noted for his role in founding the As ...more
More about Nury Vittachi...
The Feng Shui Detective Mr Wong Goes West The Feng Shui Detective's Casebook Detektif Feng Shui 2: Petualangan ke Selatan Twilight in the Land of Nowhen

Share This Book