Start by marking “How to Read a Person Like a Book” as Want to Read:
How to Read a Person Like a Book

How to Read a Person Like a Book

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  885 ratings  ·  76 reviews
This unique and informative program will teach listeners how to "decode" and reply to non-verbal signals from friends and business associates.
Published May 27th 1994 by Fall River Press (first published January 1st 1971)

Dec 02, 2007 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Non- Fiction Readers
Non- Fiction is great! I'm starting to like non-fiction a lot recently, i have been reading a lot of books that teaches youngsters how to be good leaders when they grow up. How to be a servant leader?
Well, to begin with, this book is the start, the begining of this life lesson that can set you for life! This book is great because it teaches the readers how to read body language. What does a person's body language tell us about a person, you may ask. Addtionally, it can tell you many things, l
Out of all the beneficial books I have read, this is definitely one of the top. It doesn't give you groundbreaking information but merely sheds a light on gestures we use everyday; gestures that we probably are already aware of intuitively.

I loved the chapter on how best to understand gestures; one shouldn't interpret gestures alone but in the gesture cluster they are in, as well as context and situation which will provide a better understanding. There was an explanation on gestures that "turn
I enjoy reading about body language- it's hard to refute, since there have been so many studies to prove it. This book has a few great points. After reading it, I found myself in a meeting and the person on the other side of me did one of the moves and it was exactly for the reason the book stated (ear pull). It was exciting and it gave me an opportunity to stop talking and let the person tell me what they loved about the idea we were discussing.

On the other side, it's VERY dated (discusses smo
Bookworm Amir
How To Read a Person Like a Book is an investment that will reap you rewards in far more ways than you can imagine.

This is a 'manual' of body language. It is simple, straightforward, and written in layman's terms. It does not go into all that academic talk which would bore you - and it is very concise. In addition, they contain sketches of body language situations.

A very enjoyable read that most definitely has taught me a lot on how to 'read' people. After reading this I can gauge a person/grou
Clare O'Beara
This is interesting because it sees people's body language from an American perspective and the previous books I had read on the subject were British.

For instance, we see that American men may sit with one ankle crossed across their knee, called the figure four position. Men here don't do that in general. I then tried it myself and found that you need to be wearing trousers with a little give in them and sitting upright on a straight supportive chair with no arms, not behind a desk.

The authors
it's very interesting.. although there are words that i don't understand.
I Read the translated version of the Arabic and it was boring !!!
رؤوس أقلا عن لغة الجسد،
لا يتكلم عن لغة جسد الانسان بشكل تفصيلي،
مجرد معلومات بدائية للغة الجسد في موضع محدد أو مكان ما،
قرأت الكتاب المترجم بأقل من ساعة،
ببساطة، لا يحوي شرح مفصل يضع لغة الجسد في مقامها الحقيقي، انتهيت منه و كأنني أقراء مقدمة،
I thought this would be more in depth. If you have any common sense and are speaking to someone, you should pick up on these things. If they are apprehensive, secure, or aggressive. It doesn't add much to the basics of analysis.
This was a very brief book on body language. It was mostly a review of things I already knew, because of my vast public contact experience and a background in sales and marketing. I still learned a thing or two. A book a younger person would benefit by reading.
I am not convinced that many of the postures and gestures described here are an end all guide to a person's unstated positions or feelings. I have often seen someone shaking their head no when I know for a fact they are telling the truth, or scratch their nose when I know for a fact they are not unsure of themselves, and are absolutely speaking truth. Haven't the "experts" ever heard of nasal allergies?
These points aside, I do know that non-verbal communication DOES in fact exist, and that this
Akhileshwar Maurya
Average book about body language. Most of the things illustrated in this book is known to everyone of common sense.
Dale Wells-Marshall
A classic that helps you to key in to body language cues and optimize your communication.
Natasia Angel
A brilliant book that may help people understanding each other from the things they don't say out loud.
Very helpful for everyday interactions and conversations
Myrtede Alfred
This book is a good read for anyone interested in learning about body language and a must read for sales professionals and those involved in negotiations. Some of the ideas discussed were intuitive but it provides a good foundation for reading and understanding a person's body language. It helps you answer questions like "are both sides in agreement," "is this person lying to me," "is he/she interested in me," and "is the audience receptive to my ideas." The book does not cover all forms of non- ...more
Keith Kendall
The information is solid and well presented. Reading body language is a skill, and thus requires practice. No single clue is infallible, other clues need to be used for confirmation.

This was not originally organized as an eBook, and thus refers to page numbers within itself, which isn't helpful in the Kindle format.

The authors have excellent credentials, and the information is well presented. The book has a logical organization, a generous bibliography, author's biography, and an index. Somehow,
Sid Jay
the 1 st book i m going to read in goodreads
Well.. I re read this one and it has some useful information but I have read a few of these. I think it's a little dated maybe. Not that body language changes all that much but I have read more comprehensive books on the subject.

Joe Navarro would be good to check out for books in this genre. I also have another one (some woman who is a lawyer who picks juries' check my book shelf I forgot her name) is much more detailed and helpful.

Decent but not the best out there. Very basic intro at best.
James Barr
Pretty good, but most experienced people will already recognize the body language discussed in this book.
I found this in a box of old books at my parents' house. I read on a whim and very quickly; it's useful in learning to decipher body language, but it's not very theoretical. It identifies many prominent behaviors and provides some anecdotal/scientific/"scientific" evidence about the underlying thoughts the behavior might betray. It's worth it for the couple hours it took to read, but there have got to be better resources out there.
Sa'id Cortijo
Really cheesy, but kind of informative. if you have any sense all this book does is open your eyes to what people do. All it is, is a study of a sample size of people and then they try and figure out what people do and how they are feeling at that time. It isn't all that serious. I got the book, just to see if I could actually read there minds with some new mind control technique lol.
Now i pay so much more attention to my body language. this book has encourage me to get more interested in this topic and paying so much more attention to everyday people's body language. Now, i think that knowing about this topic can give you a capacity to reflect about things that are matter to you and understand better people you care: family, kids, friends, partners at work etc.
This book is a must-read... If you're a car salesman from the 70's. While there is some wisdom in its pages, it is very outdated (a section on pipe smokers? Video tapes?) It is also very male-centric and didn't tell me anything I didn't already know... Except that hippies like to primp. There must be a more updated book out there that won't put people to sleep.
Obvious and not much to learn from. The illustration were entertaining though.
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember thinking it was OK but not much else. Neither can I seem to be able to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't awful, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so two stars is the most I can give it in hindsight.
Larry Hansen
Very interesting book. If you want to utilize the information of non-verbal communication you would have to read this book three or four times, or others like it. Then train yourslf to be observant to people's gestures and gesture clusters. It would be a be a bit like learning a foreign language and learning to think in a different language.
Thomas Mcmillen
Not bad - even if a little dated. (I especially liked the tips on pipe smoking and what it reveals!) Even if I do not buy every trick, I do find I use some of the gestures to focus on whether the person I am speaking with is receptive to what I am saying. If not, I try to re-phrase my approach. Would recommend.

Bond Chan
We should read this book.

Sometimes, we would say we are observing a person, but now we should say we are reading a person.

Before reading this book, i thought observing the eyes can let us know the brains of others. Some are yet hidden.

By understanding gestures, nothing can be hidden anymore.
I like to use MySpace again my favorite 1 1 Sep 03, 2015 11:12PM
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends: Revised and Updated
  • Body Language
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • The Big Book of Words You Should Know: Over 3,000 Words Every Person Should Be Able to Use (and a Few That You Probably Shouldn't)
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • Ziglar on Selling
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • Squawk!: How to Stop Making Noise and Start Getting Results
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life
  • الكتاب الكبير للأشياء الصغيرة
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart
Gerard Nierenberg was the founder of the Negotiation Institute, an educational non-profit institute dedicated to advancing the art of negotiation. He published his first book, The Art of Negotiating, in 1968; the subsequent success of the book led to the creation of customized in-house workshops on the art of negotiating. Mr. Nierenberg provided seminars to entities from Fortune 500 companies to a ...more
More about Gerard I. Nierenberg...
The Art of Negotiating How to Read a Person Like a Book: Observing Body Language to Know What People Are Thinking The New Art of Negotiating, Updated Edition: How to Close Any Deal The Art of Creative Thinking The Art of Negotiation