How to Read a Person Like a Book

How to Read a Person Like a Book

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  628 ratings  ·  64 reviews
This unique and informative program will teach listeners how to "decode" and reply to non-verbal signals from friends and business associates.
Published May 27th 1994 by Fall River Press (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read a Person Like a Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read a Person Like a Book

Sara
Dec 02, 2007 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Non- Fiction Readers
Non- Fiction is great! I'm starting to like non-fiction a lot recently, i have been reading a lot of books that teaches youngsters how to be good leaders when they grow up. How to be a servant leader?
Well, to begin with, this book is the start, the begining of this life lesson that can set you for life! This book is great because it teaches the readers how to read body language. What does a person's body language tell us about a person, you may ask. Addtionally, it can tell you many things, l...more
Linah
Out of all the beneficial books I have read, this is definitely one of the top. It doesn't give you groundbreaking information but merely sheds a light on gestures we use everyday; gestures that we probably are already aware of intuitively.

I loved the chapter on how best to understand gestures; one shouldn't interpret gestures alone but in the gesture cluster they are in, as well as context and situation which will provide a better understanding. There was an explanation on gestures that "turn...more
Pelee_dawg
I enjoy reading about body language- it's hard to refute, since there have been so many studies to prove it. This book has a few great points. After reading it, I found myself in a meeting and the person on the other side of me did one of the moves and it was exactly for the reason the book stated (ear pull). It was exciting and it gave me an opportunity to stop talking and let the person tell me what they loved about the idea we were discussing.

On the other side, it's VERY dated (discusses smo...more
Bookworm Amir
How To Read a Person Like a Book is an investment that will reap you rewards in far more ways than you can imagine.

This is a 'manual' of body language. It is simple, straightforward, and written in layman's terms. It does not go into all that academic talk which would bore you - and it is very concise. In addition, they contain sketches of body language situations.

A very enjoyable read that most definitely has taught me a lot on how to 'read' people. After reading this I can gauge a person/grou...more
Clare O'Beara
This is interesting because it sees people's body language from an American perspective and the previous books I had read on the subject were British.

For instance, we see that American men may sit with one ankle crossed across their knee, called the figure four position. Men here don't do that in general. I then tried it myself and found that you need to be wearing trousers with a little give in them and sitting upright on a straight supportive chair with no arms, not behind a desk.

The authors...more
Christine
it's very interesting.. although there are words that i don't understand.
Karla
I am not convinced that many of the postures and gestures described here are an end all guide to a person's unstated positions or feelings. I have often seen someone shaking their head no when I know for a fact they are telling the truth, or scratch their nose when I know for a fact they are not unsure of themselves, and are absolutely speaking truth. Haven't the "experts" ever heard of nasal allergies?
These points aside, I do know that non-verbal communication DOES in fact exist, and that this...more
Natasia Angel
A brilliant book that may help people understanding each other from the things they don't say out loud.
Zahhroor
I Read the translated version of the Arabic and it was boring !!!
Myrtede Alfred
This book is a good read for anyone interested in learning about body language and a must read for sales professionals and those involved in negotiations. Some of the ideas discussed were intuitive but it provides a good foundation for reading and understanding a person's body language. It helps you answer questions like "are both sides in agreement," "is this person lying to me," "is he/she interested in me," and "is the audience receptive to my ideas." The book does not cover all forms of non-...more
Keith Kendall
The information is solid and well presented. Reading body language is a skill, and thus requires practice. No single clue is infallible, other clues need to be used for confirmation.

This was not originally organized as an eBook, and thus refers to page numbers within itself, which isn't helpful in the Kindle format.

The authors have excellent credentials, and the information is well presented. The book has a logical organization, a generous bibliography, author's biography, and an index. Somehow,...more
James Barr
Pretty good, but most experienced people will already recognize the body language discussed in this book.
Jeff
I found this in a box of old books at my parents' house. I read on a whim and very quickly; it's useful in learning to decipher body language, but it's not very theoretical. It identifies many prominent behaviors and provides some anecdotal/scientific/"scientific" evidence about the underlying thoughts the behavior might betray. It's worth it for the couple hours it took to read, but there have got to be better resources out there.
Sa'id Cortijo
Really cheesy, but kind of informative. if you have any sense all this book does is open your eyes to what people do. All it is, is a study of a sample size of people and then they try and figure out what people do and how they are feeling at that time. It isn't all that serious. I got the book, just to see if I could actually read there minds with some new mind control technique lol.
Ingrid
Now i pay so much more attention to my body language. this book has encourage me to get more interested in this topic and paying so much more attention to everyday people's body language. Now, i think that knowing about this topic can give you a capacity to reflect about things that are matter to you and understand better people you care: family, kids, friends, partners at work etc.
This book is a must-read... If you're a car salesman from the 70's. While there is some wisdom in its pages, it is very outdated (a section on pipe smokers? Video tapes?) It is also very male-centric and didn't tell me anything I didn't already know... Except that hippies like to primp. There must be a more updated book out there that won't put people to sleep.
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember thinking it was OK but not much else. Neither can I seem to be able to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't awful, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so two stars is the most I can give it in hindsight.
Larry
Very interesting book. If you want to utilize the information of non-verbal communication you would have to read this book three or four times, or others like it. Then train yourslf to be observant to people's gestures and gesture clusters. It would be a be a bit like learning a foreign language and learning to think in a different language.
Thomas Mcmillen
Not bad - even if a little dated. (I especially liked the tips on pipe smoking and what it reveals!) Even if I do not buy every trick, I do find I use some of the gestures to focus on whether the person I am speaking with is receptive to what I am saying. If not, I try to re-phrase my approach. Would recommend.

Bond Chan
We should read this book.

Sometimes, we would say we are observing a person, but now we should say we are reading a person.

Before reading this book, i thought observing the eyes can let us know the brains of others. Some are yet hidden.

By understanding gestures, nothing can be hidden anymore.
Rachel
I suppose the one piece of information that stick with from this book is that only American men cross their legs in the shape of a 4 (with your foot on top of the other legs knee). In any other country it is not considered feminine for men to cross their legs with one over the other
Stephanie
Not as helpful as I thought it would be. It goes over a lot of non-verbal cues that many of us learn naturally or are taught in class if we are going into professions with a high amount of interaction. However, the book is easy to read, clear, concise and has a lot of diagrams.
May
A great started guide to thinking about what to look for in the way of body language. Not being an expert and having never read anything in this genre, I enjoyed this read and would recommend it to someone who was interested in learning more about the subject.
Nadinastiti
This book is very enjoyable to read and informative with many illustration. This one is a good book for observant people and useful to learn how to determine people's actions towards others. The only thing that bothers me is that the information is a bit outdated.
Margot
What I like about this book for teaching purposes is that it can work from ALL levels: Low level basic writers up to second level freshman composition. This book has simple explanations that can provide students with a good foundation for future research and studying.
Jeremy
Really nice, short introduction to the study of body language and gesture clusters. I wish it had even more pictures and scenarios to test the reader, but it certainly peaked my interest in the topic and its bibliography leads to some more great reading on the topic.
Stacy
It was an interesting read filled with information about how to interpret people's body language. I think that this book will make me more likely to interpret and change my own body language rather than focus on interpreting others.
Mike
Aug 17, 2007 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: It's kind of fun. Maybe take a look.
Interesting idea, but, ultimately, all the analyses are put forward in a tautological manner. Why do certain behaviors, postures, etc. betray certain moods, thoughts, and feelings? Just ... because.
Eri
Feb 06, 2008 Eri rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people from every walks of life:)
Shelves: how-to
A quick guide to understand various body languanges, mimic, gestures of people surround us; yet at the end very much depend on the culture-situation-condition to avoid miscommunication and misinterpretation:)
Olivia
If you look at people, you can figure out what they're like.
Holy shit. You blew my mind.
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • Body Language
  • How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends: Revised and Updated
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • Body Language: How to Read Others' Thoughts by Their Gestures
  • How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life
  • How To Have A Beautiful Mind
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • Personality: What Makes You the Way You Are
  • The Seasons of Life
  • Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart
  • The Silva Mind Control Method
  • Body Language For Dummies
  • NLP: The New Technology of Achievement
Gerard Nierenberg was the founder of the Negotiation Institute, an educational non-profit institute dedicated to advancing the art of negotiation. He published his first book, The Art of Negotiating, in 1968; the subsequent success of the book led to the creation of customized in-house workshops on the art of negotiating. Mr. Nierenberg provided seminars to entities from Fortune 500 companies to a...more
More about Gerard I. Nierenberg...
The Art of Negotiating The New Art of Negotiating, Updated Edition: How to Close Any Deal How to Read a Person Like a Book: Observing Body Language to Know What People Are Thinking The Art of Creative Thinking The Complete Negotiator: The Definitive Audio Handbook From the Father of Contemporary Negotiating