Start by marking “How to Read a Person Like a Book” as Want to Read:
How to Read a Person Like a Book

How to Read a Person Like a Book

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,038 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
This unique and informative program will teach listeners how to "decode" and reply to non-verbal signals from friends and business associates.
Published May 27th 1994 by Fall River Press (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read a Person Like a Book, please sign up.

Alnutayfi I believe that the body language is something or feature born with us; because it's a psychological thing which we learn to know what does it mean.…moreI believe that the body language is something or feature born with us; because it's a psychological thing which we learn to know what does it mean. For instance, there are some known body language for a liar. His/Her body will show these gestures and he won't feel it or in another word, he/she cannot control that. Just like the heart beats :).
I hope that answered your 2nd question.
(less)

Christine
it's very interesting.. although there are words that i don't understand.
Sara
Dec 02, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Non- Fiction Readers
Non- Fiction is great! I'm starting to like non-fiction a lot recently, i have been reading a lot of books that teaches youngsters how to be good leaders when they grow up. How to be a servant leader?
Well, to begin with, this book is the start, the begining of this life lesson that can set you for life! This book is great because it teaches the readers how to read body language. What does a person's body language tell us about a person, you may ask. Addtionally, it can tell you many things, l
Linah
Apr 24, 2011 Linah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of all the beneficial books I have read, this is definitely one of the top. It doesn't give you groundbreaking information but merely sheds a light on gestures we use everyday; gestures that we probably are already aware of intuitively.

I loved the chapter on how best to understand gestures; one shouldn't interpret gestures alone but in the gesture cluster they are in, as well as context and situation which will provide a better understanding. There was an explanation on gestures that "turn
Pelee_dawg
I enjoy reading about body language- it's hard to refute, since there have been so many studies to prove it. This book has a few great points. After reading it, I found myself in a meeting and the person on the other side of me did one of the moves and it was exactly for the reason the book stated (ear pull). It was exciting and it gave me an opportunity to stop talking and let the person tell me what they loved about the idea we were discussing.

On the other side, it's VERY dated (discusses smo
Bookworm Amir
Dec 06, 2012 Bookworm Amir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
How To Read a Person Like a Book is an investment that will reap you rewards in far more ways than you can imagine.

This is a 'manual' of body language. It is simple, straightforward, and written in layman's terms. It does not go into all that academic talk which would bore you - and it is very concise. In addition, they contain sketches of body language situations.

A very enjoyable read that most definitely has taught me a lot on how to 'read' people. After reading this I can gauge a person/grou
Keka
It's interesting. I just would want to know the evidence for all of these things. Have there been studies done that support that these gestures mean what they're telling me they mean? Also, if someone knows these things, how easy would it be for them to fool people into believing they mean something totally different than what their gestures are saying?

Idk... I'm always wary of books like this. I think gestures and body language can be relative to a certain culture or upbringing and cannot neces
Anindya
This is my first book on the subject and I think it was a good start. Some of the information are not really groundbreaking and are more intuitive-based but it is always good to be confirmed. However, I have a strong belief that culture plays part in how we react consciously and non-consciously. This is not really covered in this book. I like how they claim that "non-verbal signals vary from city to city, section to section, and country to country" (p.140). This somehow supports my belief but th ...more
Zahhroor
Jun 27, 2015 Zahhroor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I Read the translated version of the Arabic and it was boring !!!
Kayed Al-qasimi
This was a good book. It gives insight into non-verbal communication and is well structured.
I enjoyed it and learnt a bit. However, as they mention in the beginning of the book, this is stuff you need to practice. You wont read this book and be able to read people straight away. You need to go to social areas such as a cafe or mall and practice this. I just finished the book and I know there is stuff I have forgotten.

Its the first book I have read on this subject so I have nothing to compare it
Clare O'Beara
This is interesting because it sees people's body language from an American perspective and the previous books I had read on the subject were British.

For instance, we see that American men may sit with one ankle crossed across their knee, called the figure four position. Men here don't do that in general. I then tried it myself and found that you need to be wearing trousers with a little give in them and sitting upright on a straight supportive chair with no arms, not behind a desk.

The authors
«وتشي
Feb 21, 2015 «وتشي rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
رؤوس أقلا عن لغة الجسد،
لا يتكلم عن لغة جسد الانسان بشكل تفصيلي،
مجرد معلومات بدائية للغة الجسد في موضع محدد أو مكان ما،
قرأت الكتاب المترجم بأقل من ساعة،
ببساطة، لا يحوي شرح مفصل يضع لغة الجسد في مقامها الحقيقي، انتهيت منه و كأنني أقراء مقدمة،
Krystal
Oct 08, 2014 Krystal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be more in depth. If you have any common sense and are speaking to someone, you should pick up on these things. If they are apprehensive, secure, or aggressive. It doesn't add much to the basics of analysis.
David
Mar 05, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very brief book on body language. It was mostly a review of things I already knew, because of my vast public contact experience and a background in sales and marketing. I still learned a thing or two. A book a younger person would benefit by reading.
Durval Menezes
I have read this book a long time ago (10 years or more) but remember absolutely nothing about it, so it must have been pretty unremarkable (therefore the 2-stars rating).
Karla
Mar 01, 2008 Karla rated it liked it
I am not convinced that many of the postures and gestures described here are an end all guide to a person's unstated positions or feelings. I have often seen someone shaking their head no when I know for a fact they are telling the truth, or scratch their nose when I know for a fact they are not unsure of themselves, and are absolutely speaking truth. Haven't the "experts" ever heard of nasal allergies?
These points aside, I do know that non-verbal communication DOES in fact exist, and that this
Maria Gad
Feb 14, 2016 Maria Gad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: human-dev

This was a good book. I thought this would be more in depth. Also, It doesn't add much to the basics of analysis, most of the things illustrated in this book is known to everyone of common else. I do believe that one gesture or posture has more than one meaning or referring.
Akhileshwar Maurya
Average book about body language. Most of the things illustrated in this book is known to everyone of common sense.
Dale Wells-Marshall
A classic that helps you to key in to body language cues and optimize your communication.
Natasia Angel
A brilliant book that may help people understanding each other from the things they don't say out loud.
Cam
Apr 21, 2015 Cam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful for everyday interactions and conversations
Myrtede Alfred
Jan 04, 2014 Myrtede Alfred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good read for anyone interested in learning about body language and a must read for sales professionals and those involved in negotiations. Some of the ideas discussed were intuitive but it provides a good foundation for reading and understanding a person's body language. It helps you answer questions like "are both sides in agreement," "is this person lying to me," "is he/she interested in me," and "is the audience receptive to my ideas." The book does not cover all forms of non- ...more
Keith Kendall
The information is solid and well presented. Reading body language is a skill, and thus requires practice. No single clue is infallible, other clues need to be used for confirmation.

This was not originally organized as an eBook, and thus refers to page numbers within itself, which isn't helpful in the Kindle format.

The authors have excellent credentials, and the information is well presented. The book has a logical organization, a generous bibliography, author's biography, and an index. Somehow,
Sid Jay
the 1 st book i m going to read in goodreads
Annraniel
Apr 27, 2016 Annraniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
this book looks amazing
Haitham Hassan
Mar 11, 2016 Haitham Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is very interesting,
Ludovick Timothy
May 08, 2016 Ludovick Timothy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
is not as readable
Marwan Al-thagafy
Old fashioned.
oleeleeo
Well.. I re read this one and it has some useful information but I have read a few of these. I think it's a little dated maybe. Not that body language changes all that much but I have read more comprehensive books on the subject.

Joe Navarro would be good to check out for books in this genre. I also have another one (some woman who is a lawyer who picks juries' check my book shelf I forgot her name) is much more detailed and helpful.

Decent but not the best out there. Very basic intro at best.
James Barr
Jan 25, 2014 James Barr rated it it was ok
Pretty good, but most experienced people will already recognize the body language discussed in this book.
Gigi
Apr 12, 2016 Gigi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has lots of information of how to read people using non-verbal communication.
I like to use MySpace again my favorite 1 1 Sep 03, 2015 11:12PM
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends: Revised and Updated
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • The Big Book of Words You Should Know: Over 3,000 Words Every Person Should Be Able to Use (and a Few That You Probably Shouldn't)
  • Body Language
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program
  • Pioneers of Psychology
  • How to study
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists #3
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up
  • How To Have A Beautiful Mind
Gerard Nierenberg was the founder of the Negotiation Institute, an educational non-profit institute dedicated to advancing the art of negotiation. He published his first book, The Art of Negotiating, in 1968; the subsequent success of the book led to the creation of customized in-house workshops on the art of negotiating. Mr. Nierenberg provided seminars to entities from Fortune 500 companies to a ...more
More about Gerard I. Nierenberg...