Start by marking “How to Read a Person Like a Book” as Want to Read:
How to Read a Person Like a Book

How to Read a Person Like a Book

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,242 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
This unique and informative program will teach listeners how to "decode" and reply to non-verbal signals from friends and business associates.
Published May 27th 1994 by Fall River Press (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read a Person Like a Book, please sign up.

Alnutayfi I believe that the body language is something or feature born with us; because it's a psychological thing which we learn to know what does it mean.…moreI believe that the body language is something or feature born with us; because it's a psychological thing which we learn to know what does it mean. For instance, there are some known body language for a liar. His/Her body will show these gestures and he won't feel it or in another word, he/she cannot control that. Just like the heart beats :).
I hope that answered your 2nd question.
(less)

Gregg
Apr 16, 2014 Gregg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
There are many levels of communications going on when a person interacts with the world, verbal, physic, and body language. Try as a person might, they cannot monitor all of these channels completely. By being observant, one can gain a truer assessment of what a person is trying to convey. This book seeks to draw your attention to the body language of people, and gain a increase insight into their true mental state.

Party scenes are analyzed, couples in public are studied, students in a class ro
Christine
it's very interesting.. although there are words that i don't understand.
Sara
Dec 02, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Non- Fiction Readers
Non- Fiction is great! I'm starting to like non-fiction a lot recently, i have been reading a lot of books that teaches youngsters how to be good leaders when they grow up. How to be a servant leader?
Well, to begin with, this book is the start, the begining of this life lesson that can set you for life! This book is great because it teaches the readers how to read body language. What does a person's body language tell us about a person, you may ask. Addtionally, it can tell you many things, l
Linah
Apr 24, 2011 Linah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of all the beneficial books I have read, this is definitely one of the top. It doesn't give you groundbreaking information but merely sheds a light on gestures we use everyday; gestures that we probably are already aware of intuitively.

I loved the chapter on how best to understand gestures; one shouldn't interpret gestures alone but in the gesture cluster they are in, as well as context and situation which will provide a better understanding. There was an explanation on gestures that "turn
Pelee_dawg
I enjoy reading about body language- it's hard to refute, since there have been so many studies to prove it. This book has a few great points. After reading it, I found myself in a meeting and the person on the other side of me did one of the moves and it was exactly for the reason the book stated (ear pull). It was exciting and it gave me an opportunity to stop talking and let the person tell me what they loved about the idea we were discussing.

On the other side, it's VERY dated (discusses smo
Bookworm Amir
Dec 06, 2012 Bookworm Amir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
How To Read a Person Like a Book is an investment that will reap you rewards in far more ways than you can imagine.

This is a 'manual' of body language. It is simple, straightforward, and written in layman's terms. It does not go into all that academic talk which would bore you - and it is very concise. In addition, they contain sketches of body language situations.

A very enjoyable read that most definitely has taught me a lot on how to 'read' people. After reading this I can gauge a person/grou
priyadharshini  sridhar
this book was just fine. this book tells you how to read a person gestures. it is an informative book. but this book is not very interesting for kids. I think that adults would enjoy it better. if you are a person who is interested in activities related to speaking like debate and elocution I would suggest you this book.
Zahhroor
Jun 27, 2015 Zahhroor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I Read the translated version of the Arabic and it was boring !!!
Keka
It's interesting. I just would want to know the evidence for all of these things. Have there been studies done that support that these gestures mean what they're telling me they mean? Also, if someone knows these things, how easy would it be for them to fool people into believing they mean something totally different than what their gestures are saying?

Idk... I'm always wary of books like this. I think gestures and body language can be relative to a certain culture or upbringing and cannot neces
Anindya
This is my first book on the subject and I think it was a good start. Some of the information are not really groundbreaking and are more intuitive-based but it is always good to be confirmed. However, I have a strong belief that culture plays part in how we react consciously and non-consciously. This is not really covered in this book. I like how they claim that "non-verbal signals vary from city to city, section to section, and country to country" (p.140). This somehow supports my belief but th ...more
Clare O'Beara
This is interesting because it sees people's body language from an American perspective and the previous books I had read on the subject were British.

For instance, we see that American men may sit with one ankle crossed across their knee, called the figure four position. Men here don't do that in general. I then tried it myself and found that you need to be wearing trousers with a little give in them and sitting upright on a straight supportive chair with no arms, not behind a desk.

The authors
Thomas R. Sinnott
Apr 02, 2016 Thomas R. Sinnott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often consciously consider body language as this book is an excellent reminder of just how impotant the body language can be in understanding conversation or interpreting a person's reaction to you. Very enjoyable read. I especially enjoyed the relAtionship content as being married for almost 29 years you tend to forget and take your partner for granted.

My son had to read high school so I read more as a curiosity but thoroughly enjoyed and wish I read while in grade school as would have
Karla
Mar 01, 2008 Karla rated it liked it
I am not convinced that many of the postures and gestures described here are an end all guide to a person's unstated positions or feelings. I have often seen someone shaking their head no when I know for a fact they are telling the truth, or scratch their nose when I know for a fact they are not unsure of themselves, and are absolutely speaking truth. Haven't the "experts" ever heard of nasal allergies?
These points aside, I do know that non-verbal communication DOES in fact exist, and that this
Putri Amalia
Outdated
oleeleeo
Well.. I re read this one and it has some useful information but I have read a few of these. I think it's a little dated maybe. Not that body language changes all that much but I have read more comprehensive books on the subject.

Joe Navarro would be good to check out for books in this genre. I also have another one (some woman who is a lawyer who picks juries' check my book shelf I forgot her name) is much more detailed and helpful.

Decent but not the best out there. Very basic intro at best.
Bethany
May 16, 2015 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Bethany by: my brother
Rated PG.

I learned so much from this book! I had no idea how many facets there are to body language, and how much you can figure out about a person's mood, personality, or stress level based on their hands, feet, ankles, etc. I thought I already knew how to read faces pretty well, but there is so much more to reading body language than I knew. A great find, well worth the read, and something I will definitely come back to (because I really didn't internalize it all, even though I want to do so!)
Keith Kendall
The information is solid and well presented. Reading body language is a skill, and thus requires practice. No single clue is infallible, other clues need to be used for confirmation.

This was not originally organized as an eBook, and thus refers to page numbers within itself, which isn't helpful in the Kindle format.

The authors have excellent credentials, and the information is well presented. The book has a logical organization, a generous bibliography, author's biography, and an index. Somehow,
Myrtede Alfred
Jan 04, 2014 Myrtede Alfred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good read for anyone interested in learning about body language and a must read for sales professionals and those involved in negotiations. Some of the ideas discussed were intuitive but it provides a good foundation for reading and understanding a person's body language. It helps you answer questions like "are both sides in agreement," "is this person lying to me," "is he/she interested in me," and "is the audience receptive to my ideas." The book does not cover all forms of non- ...more
Kayed Al-qasimi
This was a good book. It gives insight into non-verbal communication and is well structured.
I enjoyed it and learnt a bit. However, as they mention in the beginning of the book, this is stuff you need to practice. You wont read this book and be able to read people straight away. You need to go to social areas such as a cafe or mall and practice this. I just finished the book and I know there is stuff I have forgotten.

Its the first book I have read on this subject so I have nothing to compare it
Jeff
Feb 01, 2009 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I found this in a box of old books at my parents' house. I read on a whim and very quickly; it's useful in learning to decipher body language, but it's not very theoretical. It identifies many prominent behaviors and provides some anecdotal/scientific/"scientific" evidence about the underlying thoughts the behavior might betray. It's worth it for the couple hours it took to read, but there have got to be better resources out there.
Friday Otuya
This book is absolutely key for individuals who are keen on perfecting the art of communication. it unveals practical steps by which one can interprete the overt and subtle messages which our body language pass. The authors have a lot of experiences in these matters and they explained the meaning of many gestures. I hereby reccommend this book for any communicator who wants to perform at his or her best.
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember thinking it was OK but not much else. Neither can I seem to be able to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't awful, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so two stars is the most I can give it in hindsight.
Ingrid
Now i pay so much more attention to my body language. this book has encourage me to get more interested in this topic and paying so much more attention to everyday people's body language. Now, i think that knowing about this topic can give you a capacity to reflect about things that are matter to you and understand better people you care: family, kids, friends, partners at work etc.
Stephen Ng
Oct 08, 2015 Stephen Ng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Found some interesting examples at the end of this book about the gesture-clusters change from buyer and seller throughout the negotiation. And also the importance of knowing when would be the golden moment (as well as the wrong time) to pull the trigger in selling your product/solution and getting the decision maker's buy in.
Larry Hansen
Very interesting book. If you want to utilize the information of non-verbal communication you would have to read this book three or four times, or others like it. Then train yourslf to be observant to people's gestures and gesture clusters. It would be a be a bit like learning a foreign language and learning to think in a different language.
Sa'id Cortijo
Really cheesy, but kind of informative. if you have any sense all this book does is open your eyes to what people do. All it is, is a study of a sample size of people and then they try and figure out what people do and how they are feeling at that time. It isn't all that serious. I got the book, just to see if I could actually read there minds with some new mind control technique lol.
Oct 27, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-read... If you're a car salesman from the 70's. While there is some wisdom in its pages, it is very outdated (a section on pipe smokers? Video tapes?) It is also very male-centric and didn't tell me anything I didn't already know... Except that hippies like to primp. There must be a more updated book out there that won't put people to sleep.
Cherilyn
Jan 14, 2015 Cherilyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very brief overview of how to read non verbal clues to better understand what a person is thinking. Having a Communications degree, this book did not teach me anything new - rather it served as a reminder to pay attention to all signals when reading someone. This book could be a good resource for someone who is unfamiliar with this subject.
Thomas Mcmillen
Mar 21, 2011 Thomas Mcmillen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad - even if a little dated. (I especially liked the tips on pipe smoking and what it reveals!) Even if I do not buy every trick, I do find I use some of the gestures to focus on whether the person I am speaking with is receptive to what I am saying. If not, I try to re-phrase my approach. Would recommend.

Bond Chan
Mar 29, 2012 Bond Chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We should read this book.

Sometimes, we would say we are observing a person, but now we should say we are reading a person.

Before reading this book, i thought observing the eyes can let us know the brains of others. Some are yet hidden.

By understanding gestures, nothing can be hidden anymore.
I like to use MySpace again my favorite 1 1 Sep 03, 2015 11:12PM
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • Body Language
  • The Big Book of Words You Should Know: Over 3,000 Words Every Person Should be Able to Use (And a few that you probably shouldn't)
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • Signals: How To Use Body Language For Power, Success, And Love
  • Ziglar on Selling
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • Anxiety, Phobias, and Panic
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • Zero-Resistance Selling: Achieve Extraordinary Sales Results Using World Renowned techqs Psycho Cyberneti
  • The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program
  • Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium
Gerard Nierenberg was the founder of the Negotiation Institute, an educational non-profit institute dedicated to advancing the art of negotiation. He published his first book, The Art of Negotiating, in 1968; the subsequent success of the book led to the creation of customized in-house workshops on the art of negotiating. Mr. Nierenberg provided seminars to entities from Fortune 500 companies to a ...more
More about Gerard I. Nierenberg...