Start by marking “Talking to Depression: Simple Ways to Connect When Someone in Your Life is Depressed” as Want to Read:

When someone suffers from depression, friends and family members naturally want to help—but too often their good intentions come out all wrong. This practical, compassionate guide helps readers understand exactly what their loved one is going through, and why certain approaches help and others have the potential to do damage. Talking to Depression offers specific advice on ...more
Published January 6th 2004 by NAL (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Talking to Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking to Depression

Carol
Aug 22, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Great book for those who want to help a loved who suffers from depression. Advice on how to help; what to say and what not to say; how to show your support; how to keep life on track and how to give to help their healing process. Also covers suicide-- warning signs, what to ask, how to move toward survival: day by day. Also focuses on kids and teenagers, and how to take care of the care giver.

After living with an adult daughter who has suffered from depression for 10 years and not being able to
Rindy Girl
Jan 14, 2008 Rindy Girl rated it liked it
If there is anyone in your life that you love and you know is depressed, this book can help you broach the subject, find them help and understand what they are going through. It's helpful because it tells you how they view things, how something you say meaning to be helpful can seem to a depressed person to be very unhelpful and even hurtful. I was told most of what this book has to say by the depressed person in my life. Reading this book helped me to believe what he was telling me and helped t ...more
Kirsten
Jan 24, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: family and friends of depressed people
Recommended to Kirsten by: purlewe
I read this after a friend of mine read it and said she thought it was excellent. This ia a layperson's guide to depression. It's designed to provide useful, concrete advice for those times when you're afraid that what you say might be misconstrued, or might make things worse rather than better. I think it succeeds admirably in this; I have been severely depressed several times, and there was nothing here that made me roll my eyes or say, "Oh, no WAY would I want to hear that!" Of course, that d ...more
Nicole
Oct 18, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with loved one that suffer from depression, those curious about depression
A fantastic book that gives you all the necessary tools for you to help a loved one that is suffering from depression. We all want a loved one to overcome depression but during the throes of it, we never know what to say exactly. Any badly worded sentence can set them off or make them feel worse. You may not be the therapist or doctor but you can surely become an ally in the battle against depression if you take this book and read it. It gives you helpful tips on how to approach someone with dep ...more
Jan 11, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I have read quite a few books recently on Severe Depressive Disorder and I went into Talking to Depression with very high hopes that it would help me better understand as a spouse and caregiver. Strauss does an excellent job writing about depression and her tips on what not to say or do are invaluable tools, however I was looking for more. I would recommend Talking to Depression to anyone who knows someone who is suffering from a Depressive Disorder, it will help a person know how to talk to som ...more
Lora
Aug 26, 2016 Lora rated it really liked it
I didn't give this book 4 stars because it was absolutely riveting. It was, however, broken down into very manageable chunks, and had a lot of helpful advice. Nothing earth-shattering, but still good. Like better ways to respond verbally to someone struggling with depression. Or how things might look from their perspective. Or small, but important ways to actively help someone with depression. Things like that. It got a bit repetitive at times since the over-arching theme seemed to be: Be loving ...more
Collene
Feb 25, 2014 Collene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
This is a very helpful book. I bought it to help a friend, but it was helpful to myself. It includes things to say and not say to someone with depression and gives advice on how to care for someone going through depression along with the therapist and psychiatrist. There’s a section on suicide prevention and a section for children and teens. It also included ideas for some activities to do. I loved this book, it’s easy to read and I’m going to read it again. It’s available in both kindle and pap ...more
Heather Andrews
Mar 16, 2014 Heather Andrews rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health
This is a 3.5. It talk a lot about what depression in and what it looks like, but what Strauss does so well is understand the role of loved one and different behaviors and sayings that can be beneficial. She also discusses why certain things we always say are so unhelpful. I would have liked more personal stories, but as a "How to" guide for loving and communicating with somebody with depression, this is awesome. I have segments and passages highlighted as well as notes for different situations.
Elian
Sep 13, 2014 Elian rated it it was amazing
This was a terrific book! It talked about exactly what is said it would! It was very helpful with giving me practical help and ideas for how to connect to people who are or may be depressed. It was clear and personable. I loved that she included examples of what depression felt like from people themselves, because I think that is very important to actually understanding what someone is dealing with, not just knowing how to talk with them or clinical definitions. Recommend to anyone!
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
As someone who both has depression and also deals with family members with depression, I found the book fairly accurate, as well as flexible. Some of the best--and most reassuring--advice for what to say to someone who is struggling with depression. Also some great reminders of how children, and others, often perceive things in terms of a depressed loved one. Well done, and easy to read, without being overwhelmingly scientific.
R. C.
Jul 26, 2012 R. C. rated it it was amazing
This may be the most useful book I have ever read on the subject. It isn't self-help; it's friend-help. When you find yourself wondering, "What do I say to that?" pick up this reference. It is actually a list of common arguments and one liners you hear from the depressed and what you can say back to kind of trip the circuit in their head and wiggle them a little ways off their depressive loop.
Bookworm LLC
Jun 07, 2015 Bookworm LLC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
WOW! This book was so amazing! I have suffered from severe depression for a lot of years. I bought this book to help my family understand what I was going through, that it wasn't me just being lazy and cranky. I decided to read it too and was amazed because it helped me understand a lot of my feelings and emotions.
Very well written and easy to understand
Cindy
Mar 24, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: none-fiction
Very well written and easy to understand.
Betty
Feb 11, 2016 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great help

This book has been a tremendous help for me to understand the depressed person. The book pointed out several mistakes that I have been making. A positive attitude with a depressed person is not always the answer. I highly recommend this to anyone who cares or loves a depressed individual.
Caroline
Nov 23, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
I like the straightforwardness of this book, and the what to say/what not to say advice is invaluable. However, I also felt like I could probably find most of this information online on various medical websites. It is a very quick read though, and the information in the book was helpful.
Lisa
Jan 02, 2013 Lisa added it
This was one of the most helpful books I've read in how to help a loved one with depression. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Charlotte
Jun 28, 2011 Charlotte rated it really liked it
I recommend this book highly to anyone who is a friend, partner or caregiver to a person suffering from depression and anxiety. It's a simple read. Short and sweet and to the point.
Desiree
Oct 09, 2014 Desiree rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've found that helps people relate to those who are depressed. Very helpful!
Joyful
Sep 23, 2010 Joyful rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, own, non-fiction
Having suffered from depression myself a few years ago, I found this book an easy to read guide to help others who suffer with this as well.
Anastasia
Aug 25, 2011 Anastasia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who spend more that 10 minutes with anyone that has depression
I highly recommend this as a resource book for, well, what the title says - friend, co-worker, family member, etc.
Feb 29, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibliotherapy
I love her perspective. This was both helpful from the perspective of a sufferer and a support person. Incredibly validating. Lots of great ideas for everyone involved.
Irma D. Rockwell
Irma D. Rockwell rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
dmichonski
dmichonski rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Ria
Ria rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Makkuro
Makkuro rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Fatima
Fatima rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2016