Start by marking “The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual of Survival and Manners” as Want to Read:
The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual of Survival and Manners

The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual of Survival and Manners

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Humor, Literary Studies, Social Studies
Even Donleavy himself is reluctant to categorize this book, hinting that perhaps it is still fiction. It's most often found listed as nonfiction, however. A guide to social climbing and survival in the asphalt jungle as only Donleavy could write. Not for the easily offended and wonderfully about as non-politically correct as could be.
Published January 1st 1975 by Delacorte Press/S. Lawrence

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpurgated Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpurgated Code

Manny
At the GoodReads Site

Reviewing sites like GoodReads give the gentleman or lady of leisure a splendid opportunity to display their wit and all-round erudition. Post reviews in moderation, choosing a balanced selection of books. Ideally, a scholarly dissection of an obscure but greatly respected classic should be followed by an earthily Anglo-Saxon parody of a notorious piece of trash, and vice versa.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy
Anna
Sep 28, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
Profane and very funny, an example....

Under Vilenesses Various he covers such things as farting and bodily stench.

Plate and Knife Licking

This is a satisfying ritual and is not only to be resorted to when one is not able to get a further helping. Although widely ridiculed as bad manners, it is permissible if delicately executed and demonstrates more than anything else your enjoyed appetite as well as your thrift.

While holding the plate surface vertically in both hands well up to the face, licking
Phillip
Oct 11, 2007 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who love brits
I re-read this book every year or so. I fall out of my chair laughing every time. I love British humor (even though this is an American writing, technically). The Pukka language is how they ruled the world with a few swords and an attitude. The book is a description of how 'gentlemen' handle all varities of situations. "Upon finding ones pants...."
I love this book.
Chris
Oct 31, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, to-re-read
It's a shame that this one is so hard to find, as it's one of the absolute classics of curmudgeonly advice, absolutely on par with Ambrose Bierce's 'The Devil's Dictionary.' Best not to read it all in one sitting, though -- it can be draining! Hilarious, but draining.
Clive Warner
Not a casual read, more of a reference book for social climbers and those that would defeat social climbers. I nearly had cause to refer to it recently after a small mongrel tried to take on my St Bernard... Dunleavey has included in the book, somewhere, instructions on how to behave if your dog has killed someone else's dog (and vice versa)
Scott
Nov 10, 2010 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An irreverent satirical guide to English high society. I really enjoyed the focus on posh accents and how it would have two different ways to approach each situation depending on which accent you wished to use. It did make me wish I was part of their livelyhood though, at least made me want to give it a sporting try, as those fine chaps might say!
Richard Thomas
Nov 24, 2014 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour-and-wit
What other book would a prospective gentleman need?
Claire S
Mar 26, 2009 Claire S rated it did not like it
My brother and I were both too young for this when it was gifted to one of us (and shared) by Our Dad. (Clearly another notch in my 'it's not my fault' belt). We gaped and pointed and snickered and eventually it went away. Clearly HE thought it was funny, so there's that.
DoctorM
Here's the way it is. You need this advice. Thirty-odd years on, this book still tells you how you'll need to behave to be Correct in situations that you'll no doubt find yourself in. Just trust JP and keep up Standards.
George
Nov 19, 2007 George rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Donleavy was doing gold-plated snark decades before we all had a word for it. He lives in a castle in Ireland and peers down with a disgusted look at the rest of us.
A thoroughly gutter-snipe, trashy Swift - I love his stuff!
Winston Tuttle
Dec 11, 2011 Winston Tuttle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Timeless humour in the clever, but dirty way that only Donleavy can get away with. Cherish this book.
Kim Harne
Dec 29, 2014 Kim Harne rated it it was amazing
Even though I am bootless and unhorsed, I enjoyed this book immensely. I REALLY did.
Craig
Feb 06, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it
I've just dipped into this, but so far its a ROTHFLMAOUMIWCCTTMA funny.
Katherine
Hilarious jabs at the upper crust
Alison
Dec 29, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very funny.
Matthew
Jan 18, 2016 Matthew rated it really liked it
simply incredible.
Jordan West
Jordan West marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Michelle Vollemaere
Michelle Vollemaere rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Brandon Alan
Brandon Alan rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Deepak
Deepak marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Bafana China
Bafana China rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Toh Kane
Toh Kane is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2016
UberMind
UberMind marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Aaron Krebs
Aaron Krebs rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Philip Stearns
Philip Stearns marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Anton Cilliers
Anton Cilliers is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2016
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
  • The Dreamfighter And Other Creation Tales
  • The End of the Modern World
  • Uncle John's Perpetually Pleasing Bathroom Reader
  • No Kiss For Mother
  • Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained
  • Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best Afterlife, the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade
  • Girl, 20
  • The Sound of Music
  • The Gambler/Bobok/A Nasty Story
  • Elling (Elling, #3)
  • One Hundred Great Books In Haiku
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
922006
James Patrick Donleavy is an Irish American author, born to Irish immigrants. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II after which he moved to Ireland. In 1946 he began studies at Trinity College, Dublin, but left before taking a degree. He was first published in the Dublin literary periodical, Envoy.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.P._Don...
More about J.P. Donleavy...