Start by marking “The Story of the Book of Abraham: Mummies, Manuscripts, and Mormonism” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Book of Abraham: Mummies, Manuscripts, and Mormonism

The Story of the Book of Abraham: Mummies, Manuscripts, and Mormonism

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The book of Abraham has long fascinated readers, not only with its content but also with its mysterious origins. Written by Abraham himself, the book found its way into the hands of Joseph Smith by way of an elusive antiquities trader. Tucked safely in the hands of an Egyptian mummy, its exact origins remain a mystery. Renowned LDS archaeologist H. Donl Peterson undertook ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Book of Abraham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Book of Abraham

Jeremy
Jun 18, 2013 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
In 1835 in the American frontier, an Irish immigrant named Michael Chandler sold four Egyptian mummies and some papyrus to Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He claimed to have inherited them from his uncle, Antonio Lebolo, an Italian "celebrated traveler" who obtained them from the catacombs of Egypt.

Joseph Smith's translation of some of the writings on the papyrus was published in The Pearl of Great Price as the Book of Abraham. Subsequent to his murd
James Badger
Mar 22, 2015 James Badger rated it it was ok
This book had promise, but was ultimately unfulfilling. I give H. Donl Peterson full marks for really digging in and pulling together some of the missing pieces of this fascinating slice of LDS history. He was clearly an able and eager researcher, and I appreciate everything he did in order to compile this book. I ended up learning quite a few things about the papyrus and mummies which inspired Joseph Smith to create the Book of Abraham that I had not previously known.

Even so, chapter 20, in whi
Heidi
Oct 18, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it
So many things I never knew about the Book of Abraham and the other papyri/scrolls/mummies found with it. Donl Peterson starts his research around the time the mummies were discovered in Egypt by an Italian named Lebolo, and Peterson makes his way across the continents and oceans until the mummies (with the papyri that were discovered wrapped up with the mummies) came into the possession of Joseph Smith.

Joseph Smith started to translate the documents and found, to his great joy, that they conta
Dchoules
Feb 13, 2008 Dchoules rated it liked it
Written by one who 'delights in being orthodox,' Peterson's book is perhaps the most comprehensive, up-to-date work on the history and origin of the Book of Abraham available. Notwithstanding the scarcity of books on the subject, Peterson's work is to be applauded for the way it contextualizes not merely the times of Elder Richards in Liverpool in 1851, but his chapter on Egyptian Mummies in America, 1823-1833 was especially helpful to broaden the understanding of that epoch.
Dr. Atiya's marvel
Tyler
Sep 01, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it
Most books on the Book of Abraham focus on the translation issues. This is not a response to By His Own Hand upon Papyrus by Charles Larson, nor is it full of bad apologetics like the awful A Guide to the Joseph Smith Papyri by John Gee. (Seriously, some Egyptian men dressed up as women? That explains it!) This book is about the mummies and scrolls. It's well researched and interesting, told almost like an adventure story.
Michael
Dec 18, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book which documents the research of H. Donl Peterson, a researcher, historian, and professor at BYU. He describes in great detail the story behind the Pearl of Great Price, most specifically the Book of Abraham, which was translated by Joseph Smith, Jr., from papyri found with Egyptian mummies. He also takes on much of what has been said and written against the Book of Abraham, and very effectively points out the errors in what these critics have to say.

This book is of inter
Robert
Feb 09, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-non-fiction
3.5 stars (rounded up for you, Jim). Peterson researched and follows the history of the Book of Abraham, now part of the Pearl of Great Price. Interesting history, but somewhat dry and tedious. No real insight into the content of The Book of Abraham, more just about the history.

Page Turner: 5/10
Honest: 9/10
Intelligent: 8/10
Uplifting: 7/10
Important: 7/10
Chad
Dec 21, 2013 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well researched and written book about the coming forth of the Book of Abraham. Well worth the read for any member of the Church or anyone interested in knowing more about the Book of Abraham.
Alina Tolbert
May 31, 2012 Alina Tolbert rated it liked it
The overwhelming number of facts in this book made it hard for me to get into. I found some wonderful information interspersed in different chapters. The author is very thorough and knowledgeable.
Anna
Sep 21, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
A great 3.5 star book about the history of the book of Abraham and how the mummies and manuscripts came to Joseph Smith. I learned a lot and found it fascinating and well-researched and documented.
Charles Patterson
Jun 12, 2010 Charles Patterson rated it it was amazing
Utterly fascinating! I especially liked the chapters about Antonio Lebolo in Egypt. He also provides a condensed question-and-answer section at the end that makes a fantastic resource.
JoAnn
May 17, 2011 JoAnn rated it really liked it
I've almost read this book through twice, I'm fascinated with archeology and I want to really understand every detail. I find it to be well worth a second read through.
Mark
Dec 26, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved him as a teacher! This is a pretty complete story of the journey of the mummies & papyri from Egypt to the present. It was the author
Kaylynn Johnsen
Mar 23, 2010 Kaylynn Johnsen rated it liked it
Interesting information but presented in a try, scholarly way that I was hoping would get a bit more interesting. It did a bit toward the end.
Cindy
Feb 20, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing
This book explained to me the story of how Joseph Smith received the writings that became our Pearl of Great Price. I loved it.
Christin Swayze
Christin Swayze marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
David Cottam
David Cottam marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
David L.
David L. rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Chelsea Peterson
Chelsea Peterson marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Corina Delor
Corina Delor rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Garn Birchell
Garn Birchell rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Brad Nygren
Brad Nygren marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Alice Ambrose
Alice Ambrose marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Marilyn Henrie
Marilyn Henrie rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014