Around the World in Eighty Days & Five Weeks in a Balloon

Around the World in Eighty Days & Five Weeks in a Balloon

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  812 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Wordsworth Classics covers a huge list of beloved works of literature in English and translations. This growing series is rigorously updated, with scholarly introductions and notes added to new titles.
Published by NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company (first published 1873)

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World in Eighty Days & Five Weeks in a Balloon

Around the World in Eighty Days & Five Weeks in a Balloon by Jules VerneThe Twenty-One Balloons by William Pène du BoisThe Affinity Bridge by George MannFive Weeks In A Balloon by Jules VerneAirborn by Kenneth Oppel
Balloons on the cover
1st out of 48 books — 17 voters
Inkheart by Cornelia FunkeThe House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneLove You Forever by Robert MunschGuess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Great childrens books
108th out of 138 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Wayne
Oct 08, 2012 Wayne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travel fans,,adventure fans, fun fans
Recommended to Wayne by: Mike Todd's Movie with Balloon!!!
AT THE BEGINNING:

Saw the Mike Todd movie AGAIN last week with a perfectly cast David Niven as Phileas Fogg
and the ever effervescent Mexican actor Cantinflas as Passepartout.

And realised I had always avoided the book like the Plague.

"Well, why shouldn't the book be as delightful as the film ?" I asked myself in a revelatory moment. "Well, WHY NOT???" Why not go get IT??

After my final session on my root canal therapy this morning at the dentist, I wandered off in the mall to find the tables of b...more
Kipi
Apr 07, 2009 Kipi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kipi by: Classics Bookclub
This is one of those stories that I can’t believe I had never read before. I have heard of it all my life, but I hadn’t so much as seen it as a movie (Amazon lists no less than five different versions) before this week. It’s a short read, no more than a few hours, but it is a fun story!

The setting is London, 1872. While discussing a robbery that had recently taken place at the Bank of England, a group of English gentlemen begin to wager on how long it would take a man to travel completely around...more
Thessa
Around the World was easily a 4-star story but 5 Weeks was just a lukewarm 3 stars. But that's not to say I didn't enjoy my first Jules Verne read. After all, what's not to like about British characters wearing top hats and speaking in Victorian english while they go on these fantastic adventures? Yes, they all wear top hats in my mind. And monocles.

Around the World was a fun little read. The main character Phileas Fogg I particularly liked. The plot was good, if not comical at times, and it had...more
Phil
This is the first Jules Verne novel I've ever read; although the "hits" have permeated popular culture in every way possible, I'd simply never got around to tackling one in print form up until now.

It was actually rather good. Well, "good" in a qualified way. The plot is tight, the peril is guided nicely, nothing is too offensive, nothing is too exciting, nothing is too boring - all in all, it's a very professionally written, well-crafted novel. But Verne couldn't do characterisation for nuts: Fo...more
Duesterwald-Online
Inhalt:
Phileas Fogg hat eine Wette abgeschlossen: Er will es schaffen, in 80 Tagen um die Welt zu reisen. Als Wetteinsatz setzt er die Hälfte seines Vermögens. Jean Passepartout, erst in den Dienst von Phileas Fogg getreten, ist nicht unbedingt begeistert: Bereits an seinem ersten Arbeitstag geht die Reise um die Welt los.

Doch dabei warten so manche Aufgaben auf die beiden, denn nicht alles läuft so glatt, wie gewünscht. Und schließlich droht den beiden die Zeit auszugehen…

Meinung:
Phileas Fogg g...more
Sue
Title: Around the World in 80 Days
Author: Jules Verne
Genre: Young Adult
Challenges: 101 Books in 1001 Days, TBR *Lite* Challenge 2009, A to Z Reading Challenge, Numbers Challenge, 2009 Audiobook Challenge, 20 Books in 2009, Pages Read Challenge 2009, 2009 YA (Young Adult) Challenge, The Year Of Readers - 2009

Rating: 4/5
No. of Pages: Audio ( 304 pgs. )
Published:
From the back:
English gentleman Phileas Fogg wagers half his fortune so he can travel around the world in only 80 days. Along the way he...more
Ian
Aug 02, 2008 Ian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Travel lit fans
Jules Verne is hailed (or perhaps pilloried) as one of the forerunners of the science fiction novel. I picked up this book out of curiosity, having read of the inventions he had imagined in some of his writing that, at least as general concepts, turned out to be feasible many decades later. It's actually two short novels, Around the World in Eighty Days and Five Weeks in a Balloon.

Primarily, these stories are adventure stories, and so are a light read. Some have considered Verne's writing to be...more
Amelia Defield
I thought it would be fun to read this book after reading Captain Nemo

I was right! It made the very dry writing style a bit more interesting because you felt like you knew the secret behind the words.
Eric
Around the World in Eighty Days is everything I remember, and nothing with Jackie Chan. Wonderful read given that Verne never traveled, except a very short trip to NY where all he saw was the ride up to Niagara Falls and back to the NY harbor.

5 Weeks in a Balloon was very colorful, with a lot of language that would make a modern librarian blanch due to its lack of political correctness - but it was not in appropriate in context. This was my first time reading 5 Weeks in a Balloon, and for about...more
Zainab_i_240525
I read the story, I really like it because it is different than the previous novels which I read them. It is an adventure story and while I am reading it, I feel that I am really enthusiastic to know what will happen.
Mei
It is an adventure of the world whose journey is beyond my imagination. The story is very interesting full of unexpected accidents here and there. It took me almost more than 4 weeks to go with them around the world to explore the new things happening on the way.The English language is decent and humorous.I have enlarged my vocabulary on geography, history , customs and religions of each local country.
Nadia Fadhillah
aku dapet buku bekas yang terbit entah tahun berapa, keren banget. kalo ada buku tentang perjalanan, buku ini termasuk buku yang menceritakan perjalanan mengelilingi dunia saat abad pertengahan eropa. membaca buku ini memberikanku suntikan semangat bahwa semua hal itu mungkin. bahkan untuk mengelilingi dunia hanya dalam waktu delapan puluh hari pada saat itu.
Mandy
Entertaining and fun, but a bit repetitive after a while. I liked Around the World in Eighty Days much more than 5 Weeks in a Balloon, but after reading both it makes sense that they would be put into a volume together. I can see how all this would be considered quite adventurous in Verne's time period, but it's not quite so shocking/adventurous to me.
Kalle
Around the World in Eighty Days is a novel me and my sister listened to (as an audio book) every summer, and it'll always have a special place in my memory. Definitely a title everyone should read. 5/5

5 Weeks in a Balloon... well, it just wasn't that interesting. Most times it was a bit boring and lacking suspension, but it did have its moments. 3/5
Liany D. Suwito
This is a good book, with a good idea. But there's something that make this book looks boring. I think it's because this book didn't have many description. The plot is too fast, although every chapter have short part. But the story is good and the character looks life.
Rebecca
Really, really boring! I don't mind a slightly overbearing writing style but this takes it too far. The characters are flat, there is really no other way to describe them and there is no character development despite the desperate need for it.
Warnie B.
So much fun--humor, adventure...I really liked this! Okay, yeah, there's a lot of obnoxious colonial attitude in this, but it was originally published in 1873 after all. I can make allowances for that, as it's still a really great story.
Christina
An easy to read, good paced old timey travel adventure. This story left me with the feeling I missed out being born in a time where I people still made wagers just for the sake of honour instead of money.
Ayu Palar
So, this is a story about Phineas Fogg having Jackie Chan as his servant. Then, they travel to China to get back the statue. Oh, wait. I think I mistook it with the film XD.
Dianna
This book is actually quite a fast read, and the adventures are fun. I also enjoyed the section on Utah and Mormons, which I didn't expect to find.
Bob
Really liked both of these stories - lots of fun characters and outlandish situations in both, and a fun glimpse of the late 19th century.
Bob
Michelle
My kids and I are reading Verne this summer before the movie version of Journey to the Center of the Earth comes out. Fun story!
Saman smiles
when I was really young I had it , it took me to the unknown world of fictions which one day they may come true.
Marts  (Thinker)
These are a couple of my favourite Jules Verne adventures, both surrounding some extraordinary travel.....
Anggia Widhi
Verne always made a great adventure...
Rcliment
Fun to read the classics, though a bit slow compared to modern standards.
Annchan Maulana
"Around the World in Eighty Days: 5 Weeks in a Balloon"

Ordinary's book ...
Millie
Jul 23, 2007 Millie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Gratitude sure seems to lead to love, of course. That didn't make sense to me.
Anniek Van der helm
easy read and quite entertaining (especially five weeks in a balloon)
  • The Lost World & Other Stories
  • A Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Troll Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women & Good Wives (Little Women #1 & #1.5)
  • Cranford & Selected Short Stories
  • De Doge-Ring van Venetië
  • Dawn of the Bunny Suicides
  • Carmen and Other Stories
  • The Man Who Would Be King and Other Stories
  • Robin Hood
  • Complete Ghost Stories
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Siege of Mithila (Ramayana, Book 2)
  • The Case of the Horrified Heirs (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • 100 Selected Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa...more
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)

“I say, you do have a heart!"

"Sometimes," he replied, "when I have the time.”
119 likes