Start by marking “JavaScript: A Beginner's Guide” as Want to Read:
JavaScript: A Beginner's Guide

JavaScript: A Beginner's Guide

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Step-by-step instruction teaches beginning JavaScript programmers and Web designers to create windows, display moving text, and generate sound or other multimedia elements with ease. Uses the successful Beginner's Guide teaching system, which countless new users have praised for giving them a solid foundation in technology.
Paperback, Second Edition, 550 pages
Published December 18th 2003 by McGraw-Hill/Osborne Media (first published March 23rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JavaScript

Timothy Richards
Apr 23, 2015 Timothy Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book but I couldn't finish it because I found it a tad boring. I mean if you're an absolute beginner to Javacript you'll get the most out of this book. Otherwise, look for a little bit more advanced book.
Marcus
May 12, 2015 Marcus rated it liked it
After having read the HTML5/CSS introduction in form of 'Complete guide to HTML5', the natural progression was to dwelve deeper into JavaScript. This little volume does a pretty decent job in this respect and covers all the basics of JavaScript as a programming language. For someone with my background (20 years of programming, first in Java, then in C#) it was a bit simplistic at times, but one has to keep in mind that it's intended for absolute beginners.
Gupta Anirudha
Feb 16, 2016 Gupta Anirudha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was wonderful reading. I just start reading and code given in books is very easy to follow. I write my all code in notepad++ in my win XP OS. Things are looking amazing to me since this is the first time I write some code and it's working as expected.

It's useful book for novice. Just like Dummies series for web-developer.
Incredulous Harrumpherous
Jun 20, 2007 Incredulous Harrumpherous rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All programming geeks.
If you've no experience with how to integrate JavaScript into your (X)HTML for design, you will after reading this - and to boot, do it flawlessly!

And if you're ultimately serious about being outstanding, follow it up with JavaScript: The Definitive Guide (Paperback), as it easily stands to be the best JS book out.
Emilee
It was very helpful. It was a bet dry but that is to be expected. It is quite length. I was not able to finish it before I had to sent it back to the library. But I will pick it up again and finish it. It teaches a lot about how to link to HTML documents and stresses JavaScript in HTML.
Dwight
Aug 18, 2014 Dwight rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dwight by: Sir Robert Burbridge
Shelves: reference, work
I'm guessing that my ability to finish this book was mostly due to having a reason to use the knowledge I was gaining, but I stuck with this book longer (i.e. to the end) than other programming books I've started.
Amy Bailey
Oct 24, 2012 Amy Bailey rated it liked it
I find JavaScript utterly confusing, and this book was utterly confusing. I'm sure it's a great resource, but I'm going to be doing the w3Schools tutorial because I still feel completely lost.
Riccardo
Good book for a JavaScript beginner!
Maybe the proposed exercises are too much similar to the examples proposed.
Connie Barillas
Apr 01, 2008 Connie Barillas rated it really liked it
Shelves: text-books
Lots of easy to learn examples.
Ahmed K.
Ahmed K. is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Romanoff
Romanoff rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Kelly Burris
Kelly Burris marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Arqam Rafay
Arqam Rafay rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Eric Guo
Eric Guo marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Megan Sheehan
Megan Sheehan is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2016
Ýésé Vírøñ
Ýésé Vírøñ marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Duane
Duane marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Elham Abd el monsef
Elham Abd el monsef is currently reading it
Dec 01, 2015
E
E rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Vai2xz
Vai2xz added it
Mar 30, 2016
David Berko
David Berko rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Juwanda Ajun
Juwanda Ajun is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Kitty Blue
Kitty Blue marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
PumpkinRabbit
PumpkinRabbit marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »