Start by marking “JavaScript: A Beginner's Guide” as Want to Read:
JavaScript: A Beginner's Guide

JavaScript: A Beginner's Guide

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Step-by-step instruction teaches beginning JavaScript programmers and Web designers to create windows, display moving text, and generate sound or other multimedia elements with ease. Uses the successful Beginner's Guide teaching system, which countless new users have praised for giving them a solid foundation in technology.
Paperback, Second Edition, 550 pages
Published December 18th 2003 by McGraw-Hill/Osborne Media (first published March 23rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JavaScript

Timothy Richards
This is a very good book but I couldn't finish it because I found it a tad boring. I mean if you're an absolute beginner to Javacript you'll get the most out of this book. Otherwise, look for a little bit more advanced book.
Marcus
After having read the HTML5/CSS introduction in form of 'Complete guide to HTML5', the natural progression was to dwelve deeper into JavaScript. This little volume does a pretty decent job in this respect and covers all the basics of JavaScript as a programming language. For someone with my background (20 years of programming, first in Java, then in C#) it was a bit simplistic at times, but one has to keep in mind that it's intended for absolute beginners.
Incredulous Harrumpherous
Jun 20, 2007 Incredulous Harrumpherous rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All programming geeks.
If you've no experience with how to integrate JavaScript into your (X)HTML for design, you will after reading this - and to boot, do it flawlessly!

And if you're ultimately serious about being outstanding, follow it up with JavaScript: The Definitive Guide (Paperback), as it easily stands to be the best JS book out.
Emilee
It was very helpful. It was a bet dry but that is to be expected. It is quite length. I was not able to finish it before I had to sent it back to the library. But I will pick it up again and finish it. It teaches a lot about how to link to HTML documents and stresses JavaScript in HTML.
Dwight
Aug 18, 2014 Dwight rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dwight by: Sir Robert Burbridge
Shelves: reference, work
I'm guessing that my ability to finish this book was mostly due to having a reason to use the knowledge I was gaining, but I stuck with this book longer (i.e. to the end) than other programming books I've started.
Amy Bailey
I find JavaScript utterly confusing, and this book was utterly confusing. I'm sure it's a great resource, but I'm going to be doing the w3Schools tutorial because I still feel completely lost.
Riccardo
Good book for a JavaScript beginner!
Maybe the proposed exercises are too much similar to the examples proposed.
Connie Barillas
Lots of easy to learn examples.
Kitty Blue
Kitty Blue marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
PumpkinRabbit
PumpkinRabbit marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Jimmy
Jimmy is currently reading it
May 14, 2015
Alexandra Kumppani
Alexandra Kumppani is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2015
Franquelino Itombe
Franquelino Itombe marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Anil
Anil marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Ashutosh Singh
Ashutosh Singh is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
Martha
Martha added it
Dec 23, 2014
Daniel Selnick
Daniel Selnick marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »