Start by marking “The Celts (Penguin History)” as Want to Read:
The Celts (Penguin History)

The Celts (Penguin History)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  490 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Although there is no written record of their prehistoric culture, the Celtic people left behind much archaeological and anthropological evidence of a way of life that was highly evolved. Tracing this evolution from their arrival in the British Isles in about the eighth century B.C. to the gradual transformation of the Celtic culture under Roman and Saxon rule, this celebra ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 320 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by Penguin Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Celts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Celts

Seph
Since the beginning of my interest in ancient history and culture I have been held by an inexplicable fascination with all things Celtic. At least, what I perceived as Celtic from my admittedly untrained eye. Nora Chadwick's volume "The Celts" has only served to further my interest in their long history, varied culture, and supernatural worldview as expressed through their art, literature, and religion.

At the start of reading this volume I had only previously read T.W. Rollerston's "Celtic Myths
Nighteye
Jan 01, 2014 Nighteye rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: want to read more about the Insular Celts
In my course "Celtic History and Culture" in Uppsala universety Sweden I've read this book(1997 edition) as a supplement to the course ground book Barry Cunliffes "The Ancient Celts".
In this great book and I've read chapter 3(The origins of the Celtic kingdoms in Britain and Ireland), 4(The development of the Celtic kingdoms of the west), 5(Institutions and way of life), half of chapter 6(Religion and mythology) and 8(Celtic art).
This book is well written with a lot of facts mostly regarding the
Amanda
This was a really interesting read, as history books go. Extremely detailed with the names of tribes, people, and places. (It was reminiscent of the million and one names you'll come across in the Illiad in only one paragraph.) Once I got over my anxiety of trying to remember all these names, then I was able to just focus on the larger picture and I found it fascinating. It not only deals with the names and dates type of history, but includes culture, religion, and language discussions, too. I a ...more
Tim
This book was a slog to get through, but it was satisfying in the end. The author is certainly one of the most knowledgeable on the subject, but the book is a little outdated in places now. More pictures and less exposition of some of the Celtic myths would have made the book more enjoyable, but overall it is a good book, not too long, and gets across the important points of the Celtic culture, from is Neolithic European origins through to the first centuries of Christianity.
Andrine Morse
When I first read this in 1982, I was so fascinated, I was launched like a spiritual rocket ship down the path my life would take. However, after 30 years of training and study, my thoughts are vastly different; the subjective assumptions made throughout are inaccurate, however, the facts stand alone and are accurate. The interpretations made by the Author are too colonialized to be of much benefit as the embargo on the truth is lifted.
Lee Broderick
A little out of date now, but still one of the best overviews of the subject.
Jeremy
Excellent reference book on the Celtic history. I own this in German.
Patrick\
A warrior culture with artistic talents - again and again. A good survey book.
Cicely
This book is the mainstay of many students of Celtic Mythology.
James Prothero
Good stuff. Lots of information, but much of it I already knew.
Ibrahim Mshelia
Ibrahim Mshelia marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Dec 22, 2014
Darren Quinn
Darren Quinn marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Kym Reinke-woltman
Kym Reinke-woltman marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
✿ Deni
✿ Deni marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jessica Oudbier
Jessica Oudbier marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Lux Lorne
Lux Lorne marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • Blood and Mistletoe: The History of the Druids in Britain
  • The World of the Celts
  • A Celtic Miscellany: Translations from the Celtic Literatures
  • Britain BC: Life in Britain and Ireland Before the Romans
Nora Kershaw Chadwick (1891-1972), married to Hector Munro Chadwick, published widely on the Celts and Oral Literature.
More about Nora Chadwick...
The Druids Celtic Britain Stories and Ballads of the Far Past (1921) Studies in the Early British Church Poetry and Letters in Early Christian Gaul