Start by marking “Famous Last Words, Fond Farewells, Deathbed Diatribes, and Exclamations Upon Expiration” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A collection of the notable last recorded words of the dying, Famous Last Words is, unexpectedly, bursting with life, hope, wisdom, and often laughter. Here are writers, philosophers, athletes, gangsters, kings, queens, movie stars, and politicians, in all sorts of moods and states of preparedness. Some merely want to say goodbye to loved ones, others want to create a lega ...more
Published September 5th 2003 by Workman Publishing Company

Be the first to ask a question about Famous Last Words, Fond Farewells, Deathbed Diatribes, and Exclamations Upon Expiration

Kind of just a read for the heck of it. I was interested if finding quotes and stuff for my blog at first, but I just ended up reading the book to get it over with. So it's not like the book was bad, I just had no desire in it or heart to continue. I did read every word and imagined the person uttering these words as they died, and it was like a historical journey back into the lives of famous people or people who gave something to the world.

It was a final tribute to the unknown mystery of deat
«Para os fãs de John Green, Ray Robinson não é um nome estranho. Em À Procura de Alaska, Miles Halter tem uma obsessão com a forma como as pessoas se despedem da vida e abraçam a morte, ou seja, com as últimas palavras.
Depois de ler À Procura de Alaska, eu própria fiquei ligeiramente obcecada com o conceito e encomendei esta pequena - muito pequena - beleza. Na minha cabeça, imaginei o livro como sendo apenas de citações, no entanto, maravilhei-me com o enquadramento de Ray Robinson. Ele escrev
Are a person’s last words important? Do they leave some indelible mark on this world, having been the final vocalizations of a human being before he or she passes into the next one?

I’ll leave that for you to decide. But one thing’s certain: famous last words are quite entertaining.

This cute little book by Ray Robinson (which, by the way, would make a fantastic gift– stocking stuffer!) compiles the dying words of everyone from Pablo Picasso to D.H. Lawrence to Thomas Edison into one volume. The w
Robert Hepple
A small collection of last words said by, or about various mostly famous people over the years. The author does make the point in his intro that some quotes are clearly apocryphal, but that doesn’t stop it being an amusing light read – you can’t help getting the impression that famous people, on their deathbeds, have an urge to say something really witty before they go. On a more poignant level, an answerphone message left by a 9/11 air passenger can only be seen as very sad, setting it apart fr ...more
Cynthia Egbert
I read this one through periodically as it is fun and in a few cases makes me really think and ponder. What would you want your last words to be? My personal favorite is, "Good, a woman who can fart is not dead". The Comtesse de Vercellis said these words to an embarrassed guest in her home and then keeled over. Wow. So glad that her servant was there to catch this utterance and go on to write her biography and immortalize her final statement.
I knew this book was good when I continued picking it up instead of the other books I was reading at the same time. I enjoyed the brief explanations behind the last words as well as the basic facts provided for each person. This book is very readable and probably useful for random trivia too.
This small book packs a lot of historical trivia into its pages. It offers fascinating snippets of the last moments of Kings, singers, statesman, authors, poets and Queens.
Laura Verret
A collection of last words from famous people as well as some rather funny quipps about famous people.

As an example, here is an obituary about the dishonest Robert Maxwell: "Here lies Robert Maxwell. He lies everywhere else." - Private Eye Magazine

Also ironic are the words of the dying Spanish General, Ramon Maria Narvaez: "I do not have to forgive my enemies. I have had them all shot."
Jan 16, 2012 Drucilla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: r
This is a great little book. The way it's set up makes it look clean and easy to read. I like that it gives a short history (paragraph) of the person in question. In some instances, he describes how they die and in others, he doesn't. I wish they would have been uniformed in their information and I wish they had been an index so that you could look up people with ease. But, overall, I enjoyed it.
This is an enjoyable one to browse. Each page, or sometimes two pages, features someone's last words with some acompanying comments for context. Some are humorous ("Die? I should say not, dear fellow. No Barrymore would allow such a conventional thing to happen to him.") but most are poignant, some acutely so (Beethovan raging at God during a thunderstorm: "I shall hear in heaven!")
Mar 27, 2011 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chris by: Sarah
A great collection of quotes that range from inspiring to depressing, from funny to emotional. I won't try to list favorites.
I agree with other reviewers that the book could have been longer. The memorable quotes and brief life sketches made me want to go find a biography to learn more about the man or woman whose last words I had just read.
Fairly simply a collection of famous last words supplemented with some brief facts around the person involved. There's very little to this tiny little hardback but it's diverting toilet reading if you can find it cheap. Not sure I'd bother buying it at full price though as it's rather brief.
The edition is very cute. And I loved the fact that it explains the context of the quotes, which is something that other books on the subject lack.
Great fast read with a wide variety of last words, from touching to appalling. Warning: I’ve been dreaming about death since reading this book.
Best thing I ever read on the .... oh excuse me, I forgot to shut the door....
Entertaining to say the least. Most definitely moving. Great read I say.
Absolutely perfect for train reading but sacrificed content for size.
I like to read it when I'm feeling suicidal.
Jamie F
Very interesting... some good quotes...

my morbidity knows no bounds
Morbidly amusing.
Wisty is currently reading it
Nov 28, 2015
Patrick Dugan
Patrick Dugan marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Aisha marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Anja Szyprons
Anja Szyprons marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Tammy Booth
Tammy Booth marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
  • 100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature
  • Black Jack, Vol. 4
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
  • Art Direction Explained, At Last!
  • The Best American Essays 2004