Start by marking “The Art of Drowning” as Want to Read:
The Art of Drowning

The Art of Drowning

Rachel Doe is a shy accountant at a low ebb in life when she meets charismatic Ivy Schneider, nee Wiseman, at her evening class and her life changes for the better. Ivy is her polar oppositte: strong, six years her senior and the romantic survivor of drug addiction, homelessness and the death of her child. Ivy does menial shift work, beholden to no one, and she inspires li ...more
Published 2006 by Little Brown

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Drowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Drowning

Tony Snyder
Apr 12, 2015 Tony Snyder rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Deft characterization and an effortless flow conspire to make this an entrancing mystery! This book clinches it...I'll be reading all of Fyfield's books!
Apr 25, 2016 Elusive rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘The Art of Drowning’ weaves a story about serious, shy accountant Rachel whose life is changed when she meets beautiful, unpredictable Ivy. Their bond is further strengthened when Ivy’s parents treat Rachel like their own daughter. Therefore, she looks forward to spending time at their countryside house and farm but she doesn’t realize that her idyllic days are numbered..

I found it incredibly difficult to be engrossed in this book mainly because it was terribly slow-paced. Barely anything excit
Nov 30, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Atmospheric, psychological thriller that had me questioning motives and appearances the whole way through. The story of newly single accountant Rachel Doe and her new friendship with Ivy who she meets at a life drawing class is superbly put together. Ivy is everything Rachel is not. She is a survivor who seems to know how to make the best of what life has to offer. She opens up a new world for Rachel and even Ivy's family adopt her. Their farm proves a haven for Rachel, though there are hints of ...more
Marina Sofia
Jan 31, 2015 Marina Sofia rated it liked it
As so many other reviewers have said, it's a much slower-paced book than most modern psychological thrillers, although I enjoyed the characterisation and descriptions. However, it was rather predictable, our antennae were pricked early on and it was all a matter of time until our main protagonist came to the same realisation. A matter of rather lengthy time, as she seemed so determined to believe the best of everybody.
What I liked best were the descriptions of farming life and how it has changed
Kate Larkin
May 10, 2014 Kate Larkin rated it really liked it
Definitely enjoyed the second half of this way more than the first; the lives of Rachel, Ivy, Grace, Ernest, Carl, Sam and Donald will all be inevitably intertwined. The reader gets that vibe about halfway through. The first half is pretty SLOW to move. There are several flashbacks and descriptions, while well-written, confuse and baffle the reader. This made me more curious to keep reading -- but I can see where it's frustrating. All in all, if you can make it to the end, it's worth reading. My ...more
Jul 02, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, united-kingdom
Rachel Doe needs to sort out her life. She's had such a sheltered, cautious existence; an accountant, only daughter of very timid parents, the only really daring thing she has done in her life was to dob in her lover - a liar and thief. All she got for her efforts was suspicion and a greater sense of loneliness and isolation than she had ever had before.

When Rachel meets Ivy she's totally captivated and they soon become involved in a very intense, platonic friendship which surprises everyone. Iv
Oct 26, 2013 Sheri rated it really liked it
Written for Say What! Savannah Mae

“The Art of Drowning” is a gripping thriller by Frances Fyfield that takes place in London, England. When Rachel Doe meets Ivy Wiseman her world will never be the same.

The two strike up a mutually enchanted friendship and become inseparable in spite of the fact that they are complete opposites. Rachel is a socially awkward and sheltered accountant that “lives by the rules”. Ivy is a free-spirit – she’s full of life, does what she wants and is beholden to no one
Oct 22, 2016 lea rated it it was ok
Il était assommant. Il m'aura fallu quatre mois pour le terminer. Une belle plume, un vocabulaire soutenu et riche mais un livre long, fade la plupart du temps et un thème qui promettait tant, ruiné par l'ennui des deux cents premières pages et l'étrange fin. Je lui accorde, néanmoins, deux étoiles pour le petit pincement au cœur que j'ai eu en apprenant qui était responsable de tout le chaos et, principalement, parce que Fyfield à réussit à me duper également, tout comme Rachel.
Bill Kupersmith
I love Fyfield at her best but this book really disappointed me altho' one of the characters seemed almost as likeable as Diana in Gold Digger. The writing felt off - many clichés & a couple of minor howlers - & after 2/3 we already know who did the killings and the story turns into a damsel-in-distress thriller complete with immersion in porcine body wastes! The first murder (not a spoiler - it's narrated in the prologue) is one of those fascinating cases in which the victim is lured in ...more
Twin Opinions
This book was long and hard to read in the beginning. Had the beginning not been so drawn out I would have rated this book much better in my opinion. Once I got about half way through though I was hooked.

The mystery part was good but it was lacking good suspense until the end. After the halfway point I was enjoying the characters and the story itself. At that point I was desperate to know what would happen. The ending was ok.

I would have preferred a more definite ending after all that happened
Franziska Self fisken
Mar 09, 2014 Franziska Self fisken rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. In fact I found it unusual, absorbing and mesmerising. A powerful tale with intriguing characters. I finished it late last night and have been reflecting on it all day.
Oct 28, 2013 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Initially when I started this book I was intrigued and I was expecting to love it. The writing style was very beautiful and almost poetic. However, as the pages went on, the plot did not. It was overly detailed and there were excessive descriptions of situations that really had nothing to do with the story and nothing was really happening in the story. The words were beautiful and the details and descriptions would have really made it a great read if the story was moving along, but there was abs ...more
Sharon Jones
Dec 22, 2013 Sharon Jones rated it really liked it
The began as a very puzzling book with the first two chapters devoted to incidents that were not explained until almost the end. It was a mystery and not a mystery as the crime was being plotted while one was reading and then you were not sure of what the crime would be until almost the end! Some chapters were devoted, again, to incidents involving people that were unexplained. It took a while before their relevance became clear.
So, it was a difficult book at the commencement to follow but as it
Dec 31, 2014 Béatrice rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Ambigu en diable, avec une chute inattendue.
Maria Ascanio
Apr 20, 2014 Maria Ascanio rated it liked it
I was a bit bored with it.
Jun 22, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zz2015-read
This book was way too slow to move along for me. As I kept reading all I kept thinking was 'can something please happen soon?' and it never really did. The ending was even really predictable in my opinion. This book definitely had the potential to be a really good psychological thriller, but unfortunately fell completely short in the way it was delivered.
Stayci Blea
May 04, 2014 Stayci Blea rated it liked it
This book took me FOREVER to read because it starts so slow. I'm a slow reader as it is, so it was hard to get into this book. I kept going because of all the good reviews it got, and I'm glad I did. It ended much better than it started. All in all, I'm glad I read it, but frustrated it took so long to get me drawn in.
Mar 02, 2014 Priscilla rated it it was ok
two and a half stars very confusing first couple chapters but got better. weird story
Mar 09, 2010 Vivienne rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing read. Fyfield so adeptly built up the sense of unease bit by bit, which was so effective.

One I'd certainly recommend and I am now looking to get hold of other of her titles.
Nov 09, 2009 Gail rated it it was amazing
Typical Fyfield - caught me from the first page

One of her best so far - can't put it down......

I highly recommend, and will be reading more of her novels!
Jan 03, 2011 Margaret rated it liked it
As soon as I read past the first few pages I realised that I've read this before - however I don't remember the plot!
Karen wadey
May 23, 2011 Karen wadey rated it liked it
Bit arty farty and confusing at the beginning, but turned into a good, gripping thriller by the end.
Aug 06, 2009 Lindig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've always thought this author is outstanding and even used to collect her American editions.
Feb 17, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
Fyfield is underappreciated I think and quite often very very rewarding.
Shirley Campbell
Sep 05, 2013 Shirley Campbell rated it really liked it
A real page turner
Mindy marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Maggie Howard
Maggie Howard marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
loisa added it
Oct 15, 2016
Sheri Hammerstrom
Sheri Hammerstrom rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Agustina Liciotti
Agustina Liciotti marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Cry In The Night
  • Deadly Virtues (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #1)
  • One Under (Bill Slider, #18)
  • In this Rain
  • What Lies Within
  • The Earthquake Bird
  • Tarnished
  • The Next Victim (Kali O'Brien, #7)
  • Among the Departed (Constable Molly Smith #5)
  • A Summer of Drowning
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • Brodmaw Bay
  • Hostile Witness (Kate Ford Mystery #1)
  • Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6)
  • Sugar Hall
  • Next of Kin
  • A Kind of Intimacy
  • The Legal Limit
Aka Frances Hegarty.

Frances Fyfield is a criminal lawyer, who lives in London and in Deal, by the sea which is her passion. She has won several awards, including the CWA Silver Dagger.
More about Frances Fyfield...