Walk in My Soul

Walk in My Soul

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Tiana was a Cherokee woman. She grew up learning the magic, spells, and nature religion of her people. Before Sam Houston became the father of Texas, he was a young man who had run away from his home in Tennessee to live among the Cherokee. He came to love Tiana. As the Cherokee would say, she walked in his soul. But Sam was a white man, and Tiana, a Cherokee. And the drea...more
Published November 12th 1987 by Ballantine Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Walk in My Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walk in My Soul

The Far Pavilions by M.M. KayeCold Mountain by Charles FrazierThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraLily's Leap by Téa CooperThe Colour by Rose Tremain
Best 1800s Historical Fiction
92nd out of 202 books — 81 voters
Comanche Moon by Catherine AndersonDancing on Coals by Ellen O'ConnellReclaim My Heart by Donna FasanoSavage Ecstasy by Janelle TaylorAt Road's End by Zoe Saadia
Best Native American Romance
126th out of 210 books — 223 voters

More lists with this book...

Theresa
ps i thought i would give you a copy of the poem your book walk in my soul inspired. although my reviews of books do not go back this far, i read Lucia St Clair Robsons book in high school, the following is a poem i wrote in responce to the story, part of an assingment for ap american history, and my old boy friend there gave me the first line...
Echo of the trail of tears
Struggle down the white man's path,
surrendering our spirit,
so many days we tread the line,
our lives are lost, hopelessly,...more
Lisazj1
I read this book so long ago that I don't even remember when, but I never forgot the book. Lucia St Clair Robson's stories are a mixture of historical fact & fiction and are amazing. Tiana Rogers lived and breathed, loved, suffered and died while I read this story, and she has remained with me through the years.
Cheryl
I was in the library one day looking for an audio book and stumbled upon this story. I didn't get it right away and kept looking but couldn't find anything that I was interested in. This had caught my eye as it was a story about Native American life right before they were forced onto reservations. This author is incredible. She certainly did her research on these tribes she creates this story around. I learned so much about the inter workings of tribal life. It was amazing. I even cryed at the...more
Jamie Morris
This was my first big novel and I read it as a young girl. I have always been interested in native american history. I was deeply moved by the story of Tiana Rogers, a young cherokee girl who grew up learning the ways of the medicine woman and eventually was bestowed that honor. There is simply too much to write about this book, it is that good. It starts when she is in her early teens and ends with her death. I loved the story of her love with Sam Houston. Whether this story is true or not I do...more
Dawn Garcia
Another wonderful, historical novel--this time about the Cherokee Indians and a woman loved by Sam Houston. It's a beautiful love story that earned me a lot of respect from my high school history teacher who didn't believe me when I shared this side of Sam Houston with him. After doing some research, he confirmed that I was right!

This heartbreaking love story covers cultural issues and gets the heart to once again question the rights taken by the white man in his horrible treatment of another gr...more
Daphane Ward
one of my favorites
Linda Berrett
Feb 05, 2013 Linda Berrett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in Native American History
A great (but sad) read. A lot of research went into to this book that depicts the life of Tiana Rogers, a Half Cherokee girl/woman and Sam Houston, how their lives intertwined, and the horrific story of the "removal" of the Cherokee from their land to the Oklahoma Territory. The heartbreak to the "trail of tears" or the trail where they cried, where thousands of Native Americans died, after being betrayed, yet again by our government.
Jamie
I loved this book. I am still thinking about it... I was amazed while reading this story how similar the exile of the Indians were to the early LDS Saints. They were both forced from their homes by white man who coveted their land. They were persecuted for their beliefs. Eventually driven thousands of miles from their home land to start over again while losing many lives along the way.
Jennifer Patrick
Read this and you will hate Andrew Jackson for all eternity. I am no fan of Sam Houston either. The attrocities that were carried out against the Cherokee Indians makes me ashamed. Why is Andrew Jackson on our currency? He commited genocide! Don't get me started. A great book though, If you like to get depressed and angry and rant like a lunatic.
Christine
This wasn't as exciting to read as "Ride the Wind" , but it was enjoyable.
I am not sure how true to reality this is as Samual Huston is concerned, but it was interesting to read about important people of our American History and see them as the normal people they were.

I cried at the end.
Julie
Beautifully written and very interesting story of Sam Houston and his Cherokee wife. If you love historical novels you might enjoy this one. I didn't know much about Sam Houston and did not know he live and was adopted by the Cherokees. Good book.
Arlene
This book about the Trail of Tears made me cry. According to family tradition there is a "grandmother" (I am not sure how many greats) who was Cherokee. It was an interesting window on this sad chapter in American History.
Brian
Nov 12, 2008 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brian by: Pam Keane
This book got sadder and sadder. Just like history...sadder and sadder. Hard to decipher which parts are fiction and which are fact, but a good read none the less.
Sabrina
Jan 17, 2009 Sabrina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens, adults
Recommended to Sabrina by: Sheila
Story of star crossed lovers, some historic value, Sam Houston, Tianna (Dianna) Rogers and The Cherokee, and The Trail of Tears. Moving story.
Chamie
Nov 10, 2011 Chamie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Theresa
a great story about the trail of tears explains the reasons reproductions and the sadness of this difficult time of American history
Rae Hildum
Facinating read about a young Cherokee woman & the young Sam Houston, their relationship & the powerful telling of the trail of tears.
Sunshinegirrl
I read this many years ago and I know I enjoyed it, but I don't remember much about it.
Sandra
I loved this book and read it multiple times. Good honest historical romance.
Brenda Qualls
Full of historical detail. It speaks to the reader of love and loss.
T. Jackson
One of my all time favorites. Read it about a dozen or more times.
Lorinda
If you love historical novels, this one is for you!
Barbara
I still think about this book. I didn't want it to end.
Nancy Lorraine
Loved learning about the Cherokee culture.
Georgia House
Georgia House marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
karen pope
karen pope marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Crystal Thomas
Crystal Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Megan Scherer
Megan Scherer marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
  • Comanche Flame
  • Sweet Prairie Passion (Savage Destiny, #1)
  • Cheyenne Song
  • Beloved Savage
  • Panther in the Sky
  • Say You Love Me
  • Savage Moon (Savage, #17)
  • It Sleeps in Me
  • Savage Ecstasy (Gray Eagle, #1)
  • Sacajawea
  • Cheyenne Amber
  • Savage Autumn
  • She Who Remembers (Kwani, #1)
Lucia St. Clair Robson has been a Peace Corps Volunteer, a teacher and a librarian. Her first historical novel, RIDE THE WIND, appeared on the New York Times best seller list, and in 1983 received the Golden Spur Award from the Western Writers of America. Since then she has written seven more novels set in a variety of times and places. Kirkus Reviews wrote, "Few novelists working today have a bet...more
More about Lucia St. Clair Robson...
Ride the Wind The Tokaido Road Light a Distant Fire Shadow Patriots: A Novel of the Revolution Ghost Warrior