Start by marking “Walk in My Soul” as Want to Read:

Walk in My Soul

Tiana was a Cherokee woman. She grew up learning the magic, spells, and nature religion of her people. Before Sam Houston became the father of Texas, he was a young man who had run away from his home in Tennessee to live among the Cherokee.

He came to love Tiana. As the Cherokee would say, she walked in his soul. But Sam was a white man, and Tiana, a Cherokee. And the drea
Published November 12th 1987 by Ballantine Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Walk in My Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walk in My Soul

Two Rivers by Zoe SaadiaAt Road's End by Zoe SaadiaThe Peacekeeper by Zoe SaadiaThe Cahokian by Zoe SaadiaRide the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson
Native American Historical Fiction
111th out of 187 books — 172 voters
Comanche Moon by Catherine AndersonDancing on Coals by Ellen O'ConnellReclaim My Heart by Donna FasanoEyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellComanche Heart by Catherine Anderson
Best Native American Romance
176th out of 275 books — 341 voters

More lists with this book...

Daphane Ward
one of my favorites
Theresa
Mar 29, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
by Lucia St. Clair Robson
ps i thought i would give you a copy of the poem your book walk in my soul inspired. although my reviews of books do not go back this far, i read Lucia St Clair Robsons book in high school, the following is a poem i wrote in responce to the story, part of an assingment for ap american history, and my old boy friend there gave me the first line...
Echo of the trail of tears
Struggle down the white man's path,
surrendering our spirit,
so many days we tread t
Hope
Apr 20, 2015 Hope rated it it was amazing
This book was astonishing and amazing and heartwrenching. It is a poignant and beautiful story. The main character is Tiana, a woman of the Cherokee tribe. It tells of her life from a young girl no older than ten, to the day she dies. This is a woman like no other. Her match can be found few and far between, if any should have ever existed. She is wise and spirited, youthful and calm, she is caring and gentle and a sage of her nation. After reading this story of hers (for it is hers, no matter t ...more
Tressa
Apr 03, 2016 Tressa rated it really liked it
It was a struggle for me to listen to Walk In My Soul because I do know what happened on the Trail of Tears and how the local tribes were treated. I enjoyed spending time with Tiana and the Cherokee. I also enjoyed Sam’s time with the Cherokee until his brothers came ruined the idyll.

I came to care for the characters, but I did give up on the audiobook during the second part, The Night Land, because I didn’t want Tiana, her family, and her friends to suffer. I do look forward to reading more by
Cheryl
Aug 27, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I was in the library one day looking for an audio book and stumbled upon this story. I didn't get it right away and kept looking but couldn't find anything that I was interested in. This had caught my eye as it was a story about Native American life right before they were forced onto reservations. This author is incredible. She certainly did her research on these tribes she creates this story around. I learned so much about the inter workings of tribal life. It was amazing. I even cryed at the ...more
Jamie Morris
Sep 23, 2011 Jamie Morris rated it it was amazing
This was my first big novel and I read it as a young girl. I have always been interested in native american history. I was deeply moved by the story of Tiana Rogers, a young cherokee girl who grew up learning the ways of the medicine woman and eventually was bestowed that honor. There is simply too much to write about this book, it is that good. It starts when she is in her early teens and ends with her death. I loved the story of her love with Sam Houston. Whether this story is true or not I do ...more
Lisazj1
I read this book so long ago that I don't even remember when, but I never forgot the book. Lucia St Clair Robson's stories are a mixture of historical fact & fiction and are amazing. Tiana Rogers lived and breathed, loved, suffered and died while I read this story, and she has remained with me through the years.
Anya Konecki
Dec 23, 2014 Anya Konecki rated it it was amazing
This book may be to date my all time favorite book. Historical fiction and romance, this book really has it all, I don't think it's still in print, otherwise all my friends would have a copy for Christmas.
Dawn Garcia
Jul 16, 2014 Dawn Garcia rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful, historical novel--this time about the Cherokee Indians and a woman loved by Sam Houston. It's a beautiful love story that earned me a lot of respect from my high school history teacher who didn't believe me when I shared this side of Sam Houston with him. After doing some research, he confirmed that I was right!

This heartbreaking love story covers cultural issues and gets the heart to once again question the rights taken by the white man in his horrible treatment of another gr
Chickie Chip
Jun 25, 2016 Chickie Chip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multiple-reads
I really enjoyed this book and have read it quite a few times.
DeB MaRtEnS
Apr 09, 2016 DeB MaRtEnS rated it really liked it
Another wonderful classic.
Linda Berrett
Feb 05, 2013 Linda Berrett rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in Native American History
A great (but sad) read. A lot of research went into to this book that depicts the life of Tiana Rogers, a Half Cherokee girl/woman and Sam Houston, how their lives intertwined, and the horrific story of the "removal" of the Cherokee from their land to the Oklahoma Territory. The heartbreak to the "trail of tears" or the trail where they cried, where thousands of Native Americans died, after being betrayed, yet again by our government.
Jamie
Oct 27, 2009 Jamie rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I am still thinking about it... I was amazed while reading this story how similar the exile of the Indians were to the early LDS Saints. They were both forced from their homes by white man who coveted their land. They were persecuted for their beliefs. Eventually driven thousands of miles from their home land to start over again while losing many lives along the way.
Jennifer Daniel
Nov 06, 2008 Jennifer Daniel rated it really liked it
Read this and you will hate Andrew Jackson for all eternity. I am no fan of Sam Houston either. The attrocities that were carried out against the Cherokee Indians makes me ashamed. Why is Andrew Jackson on our currency? He commited genocide! Don't get me started. A great book though, If you like to get depressed and angry and rant like a lunatic.
Kandi
Jul 15, 2016 Kandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Christine
Dec 02, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
This wasn't as exciting to read as "Ride the Wind" , but it was enjoyable.
I am not sure how true to reality this is as Samual Huston is concerned, but it was interesting to read about important people of our American History and see them as the normal people they were.

I cried at the end.
Julie
Aug 18, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Beautifully written and very interesting story of Sam Houston and his Cherokee wife. If you love historical novels you might enjoy this one. I didn't know much about Sam Houston and did not know he live and was adopted by the Cherokees. Good book.
Arlene
Apr 03, 2009 Arlene rated it it was amazing
This book about the Trail of Tears made me cry. According to family tradition there is a "grandmother" (I am not sure how many greats) who was Cherokee. It was an interesting window on this sad chapter in American History.
Brian
Nov 12, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brian by: Pam Keane
This book got sadder and sadder. Just like history...sadder and sadder. Hard to decipher which parts are fiction and which are fact, but a good read none the less.
Sabrina
Jan 17, 2009 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens, adults
Recommended to Sabrina by: Sheila
Story of star crossed lovers, some historic value, Sam Houston, Tianna (Dianna) Rogers and The Cherokee, and The Trail of Tears. Moving story.
Chamie
Nov 10, 2011 Chamie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Theresa
Oct 04, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a great story about the trail of tears explains the reasons reproductions and the sadness of this difficult time of American history
Rae Hildum
Facinating read about a young Cherokee woman & the young Sam Houston, their relationship & the powerful telling of the trail of tears.
Sunshinegirrl
Dec 17, 2010 Sunshinegirrl rated it really liked it
I read this many years ago and I know I enjoyed it, but I don't remember much about it.
Sandra
Jan 19, 2008 Sandra rated it really liked it
I loved this book and read it multiple times. Good honest historical romance.
Brenda Qualls
Jun 13, 2009 Brenda Qualls rated it it was amazing
Full of historical detail. It speaks to the reader of love and loss.
T. Jackson
Sep 18, 2016 T. Jackson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-history
One of my all time favorites. Read it about a dozen or more times.
Lorinda
Jul 24, 2013 Lorinda rated it it was amazing
If you love historical novels, this one is for you!
Barbara
Aug 26, 2007 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I still think about this book. I didn't want it to end.
Nancy
Sep 22, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Loved learning about the Cherokee culture.
  • Spirit's Song
  • Savage Winter
  • Lakota Princess
  • Song of the Wolf
  • Panther in the Sky
  • Cheyenne Song
  • It Sleeps in Me (In Me, #1)
  • Savage Moon (Savage, #17)
  • Trail of the Spanish Bit (Spanish Bit Saga, #1)
  • Nakoa's Woman
  • Lakota Winds (Lakota Skies, #1)
Lucia St. Clair Robson has been a Peace Corps Volunteer, a teacher and a librarian. Her first historical novel, RIDE THE WIND, appeared on the New York Times best seller list, and in 1983 received the Golden Spur Award from the Western Writers of America. Since then she has written seven more novels set in a variety of times and places. Kirkus Reviews wrote, "Few novelists working today have a bet ...more
More about Lucia St. Clair Robson...