Start by marking “Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3)

Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires #3)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  45,791 ratings  ·  1,245 reviews
When Claire Danvers learned that her college town was run by vampires, she did what any intelligent, self-preserving freshman would do: She applied for a transfer and stocked up on garlic. The transfer is no longer an option, but that garlic may come in handy.
Mass Market Paperback, 245 pages
Published October 2nd 2007 by Signet (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Alley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Alley

City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
234th out of 20,654 books — 55,678 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle MeadCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Best Teen Paranormal/Vampire Reads
59th out of 642 books — 1,256 voters

More lists with this book...

The Holy Terror
I don't want to read this series anymore but I want to know what happens. Sort of a conundrum, huh? My main problem: I don't care what happens to any of the kids. They're whiny, annoying, poorly developed, and they do really stupid things. Claire, the supposed genius, does the dumbest thing anyone can do; she reveals to the villain that she figured out it was them killing people while she's STUCK IN A MOVING CAR ALONE WITH THEM!!! Sorry. Had to get that out. Claire needs to watch some horror mov ...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Time For A Day Off Stars

How much trouble could a 16 year old, almost 17, girl get into? When you live in Morganville the answer isn't reassuring as Claire Danvers has come to realise. It seems that since the moment she stepped into town trouble have a way of finding her and now that she has signed her life over to Amelie she can't escape getting even more entangled with the city's vampires.

Claire has some tough things to work through. Amelie has her working in some uber-secret stuff that she c
Alkyoni

Better than the previous two, in my humble opinion. More world building, some new faces, more information, some character growth…

After three books, I am giving up on trying to decide how I feel about the characters. I just accept them the way they are and you know what? Now that I’m writing things down, they feel like real life people. There is no perfect character. So, I’m done complaining.

Claire: There are days that I love her, there are days that she gets on my nerves. I try to keep in mind
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Fans of Morganville Vampires rejoice! We finally got a book that lives up to this series potential. Or at least gets very close to it. Which is cool.

I really love this series and it pains me to give these books less than five stars. Morganville Vamps can do five stars easily. It just doesn’t work too hard to reach that for some reason unknown to me yet.

I never felt like continuing a series after giving the first book three stars. Never. That means that I found the series meh. Meh doesn’t want me
Amber
4.5 Stars!!! Wow, another awesome addition to The Morganville Vampires series. Once again, the author picks right up where the previous book left off. Here's one of my favorite quotes from this book...

"What is that, some freak-ass Goth idea of romantic suicide? You turning into a fang-banger?" (Shane to Eve)

There's a big secret that Amelie has told to Claire and she is to tell NO ONE! Throughout this installment Claire is faced with a duty Amelie has required her to work on and it is a scary cha
Lexie
Spoilers for book 1 (Glass Houses) and book 2 (Dead Girl's Dance).

Since I'm assuming y'all read Book 2 by now I can freely say that I hated how Shane acted throughout much of the book. I understand that he was under pressure and that he was mentally, physically and emotionally beaten down by his dad, but I'm not sure that excuses all of his jackass behavior. Unfortunately if I thought he would improve in this book I was obviously mental. His attitude in general is horrific for much of the book a
Natalie
First Impressions: Once again, this book was better than the previous one. It's easily my favorite in the series so far. In Midnight Alley, we get to see more development of the characters (especially the vampires!) as well as the results of the big decision Claire makes at the end of Book 2, The Dead Girls' Dance.

What about Midnight Alley made it better than the first two? Overall, I enjoyed the plot a lot more. I think Rachel Caine shows off her creativity in this book, more so than she has be
Arlene
Midnight Alley is the third installment of the Morganville Vampire series, and so far my favorite. The series continues to be fast paced as it tosses murder and mayhem into the storyline from all angles when you least expect it. As a reader, I was captivated by the events and intrigued with the plot as new secrets were revealed and additional vampire lore was unfolded. The characters continue to draw my attention, and they grow on me more and more with every book.

In this book, Claire must face t
Myvampfiction
review by Saluki

*Warning: possible spoilers ahead.*

The third book in the Morganville Vampires series picks up where book two left off. One thing that you need to know about the Morganville series is that they aren't stand alone books, so if you haven't read the first two books in the series, this one won't make much sense. If you need a refresher, check out SarahBella's review of The Dead Girls' Dance. Also, don't forget to read our interview with the series author, Rachel Caine. When we last sa
Krys

So, three books in now and I am still loving The Morganville Vampire books. However, I need a break.

In Midnight Alley Rachel Caine has done some interesting things to her characters. Michael (spoiler) has become a Vampire, Shane (spoiler) is having difficulty accepting him thanks to his bigoted Father’s crusade against the undead, Eve (spoiler) is avoiding her psychotic brother, and Claire (spoiler) has accepted Amelie’s protection. Besides that… oh gods, the twists and turns in this book! Most
Nic
Another amazing book in a incredible series.

Rachel Caine is such a clever writer. There are so many twists and turns that you never see coming. There is also plenty of moments in this book that make you laugh.

The characters again are strong, funny and very loyal to each other despite it all. Although Shane was a bit of jerk at times in this book but it looked like he was coming back to his old self by the end. And how can you forget the introduction of Myrnin, he is a intersting character and I
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
Still only 3 stars for these books. This book not a 4 because Shane needs to get his crap together.
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Caution: No spoilers for this book but prb some from the first 2.

I wanted to read this one because I have enjoyed the Morganville Vampire series until now, and I had a bit of break in review schedule.

Shane is very moody in this one. I understand he's hurt by Micheal's choices but he took it out on everyone.

There are lots of surprises for Claire to especially with Monica and her change in behavior. .. it was suspicious in some ways and not in others.

The romance is heating up this one a bit.
Fangs for the Fantasy
So let us begin, as I normally do, with a plot summary.... and I've deleted this a few times because my openers were a bit snarky – but the plot of this book was a problem to me.

Stuff happened. There are EVENTS. Random stuff happening, but they're not really linked as a plot. There's no coherent whole and, in some ways, Claire feels completely dropped into storylines that don't concern or involve her. There's a lot happening that doesn't advance the plot, storylines kind of limping along without
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Jeez! Can't these people ever not almost die in every book?! And no more parties for you guys!

There are always multiple storylines in each book, but they always eventually tie in together.

Myrnin might be batshit insane, but I love that guy. I so want to see more of him.

Of course, this book involves more secret keeping. While sometimes, Claire really has no choice but to keep a secret or die, I do wish she would open her mouth at times. They all keep getting put in danger.

And now, at the end of
Taschima Cullen
You can find more reviews @BloodyBookaholic

I have not had so much trouble finishing a VAMPIRE book in my life. I mean the story in the beginning leaves a lot to be desired, and it only starts getting good AT THE VERY END. The only parts I could say I really enjoyed where the parts where Myrnin, the vampire tutor, appeared. Now he was interesting.

Another thing is I have a big problem with Shane. For being the main characters boyfriend, I think she can do a lot better. He is just not that interes
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
LegallyBarb
I was going to rate this one a little lower than the first two, and I'm not entirely sure why - perhaps because I think that a 35 year old woman's 4 and 5 star books should incorporate more than young adult vampire series?!?!?! Probably! What I loved about this book is that it is a fast, enjoyable, spunky read, with funny and lovable characters, and a great story. I love the way this one went more in depth into the history of the town and the trials and tribulations of the vampires. I love how t ...more
Sammie
This isn't a nice review. However I actually don't mind the books...

Rachel Caine's writing drives me mad. And not in a good way. From a story/facts point of view she's brilliant but she just cant execute it correctly and her poor writing lets down her good ideas. I'm on book 3 for Christ sake and yet I still don't feel a connection to a single character. The only thing Caine has successfully done is write the worlds most pointless and plain boring character - Monica - who she refuses to just let
Madelyn Grey
Mar 17, 2011 Madelyn Grey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 13+ For those who want a YA vampire novel that doesn't romanticize the vampire mythos.
Book three of the Morganville Vampires series is another fantastic addition to the series. Clever, adventurous, and a little sexy, this installment kicks the series up to a whole new level of impressiveness.

Claire is now Protected by Amelie, the Founder of Morganville. Claire soon finds out, however, that "Protected" is just a flowery word for "owned." The bracelet, the contract, makes Claire Amelie's property, and the vampire queen already has a few ideas how to put her strengths to good use.

Un
Emily
Another just ok book in this series, though the strongest so far for me. I really enjoyed some of the side characters introduced in this one. That said, I do continue to be annoyed by some overall flaws and the mid-scene endings. I will likely keep reading because these are quick and easy reads and I am interested to find out what happens, but I certainly wouldn't say these are great.
Louise Colclough
I won't say too much with this being book 3 of a series but...

It might be the most well-written piece of literature but it sure is entertaining. Each book gets better and I was honestly surprised again. Every time I read one of the books from this series, I except it too be bad and not to enjoy it but yet again i've been proved wrong.
Ian

...Jam it!

More to come later.

So...three quarters of the way through the third book in the series the main character finally does something. Oh wait, no she didn't do anything.

The series centers around Clare, Shane, Michael and Eve. A lot of things happen to them but what they do is mostly make bad decisions and complain.

OK, I'm not the intended market...these bo
Danielle
What an infuriating series! I still like the setting, there are some intriguing secondary characters I would love to follow for a while, still interested by the meta-plot - and she's added an interesting wrinkle in this one - but merciful heavens, those main characters! They are so ANNOYING. They do the darndest things, kids. Shane gets a medal for becoming almost as irritating as Claire. And actually, Claire wasn't quite as irritating as she was in the first two books, but I still found there w ...more
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This book picks up where book two left off.

I enjoyed this book, and I think it was the best of the series so far. I thought that Claire seemed a bit more intelligent in her decisions, and the storyline was a bit more interesting too. I didn't feel like I was forcing myself to read this one, and was actually interested to find out what happened next.
I did think that Claire was getting herself in trouble at one point, but the murders certainly added some excitem
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Claire has signed the contract with Amelie and is trying to keep it hidden from her friends. However this gets harder as she is ordered to work with Myrnin, a brilliant but insane scientist. Meanwhile bodies kept turning up around the Glass house and Eve’s crazy brother has just got out of prison. This is an action-packed book with excellent characters such as Myrnin, Claire and Shane. I would recommend Midnight All
Ivana Ciglar

Suspense, crime, fantasy and a dash of romance !

Superb sequel to an invigorating series...

This is a third installment in The Morganville Vampires Series and is meant for the young adult audience but it is a great treat for adults as well.

This novel can be read as a stand alone but it is much better to read it in a proper order because each novel adds something extra to the story and the characters slowly develop their personalities and grow with time.

Also, once you grow attached to the character
Stacia (the 2010 club)
This series gets better for me the more I read on. Caine is a smart author, continuing to develop an intricate backstory for a town ruled by the vampire class.

This is no sappy PNR, but rather a tongue-in-cheek UF in which the main character develops from a spineless child into a fierce contender willing to go toe to toe with the vamps to keep her friends safe.
Cassandra
Oh man I so did not love this book like I did the others. So disappointing. I will continue to read the series because I love the characters and hopefully the next ones will be just as good as the previous ones before Midnight Alley. Ahh *sigh* heres to hoping!
  • Girls That Growl (Blood Coven Vampire, #3)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
  • Out for Blood (Drake Chronicles, #3)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • Pride (Shifters, #3)
  • Ritual (Vampire Beach, #3)
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • Flutter (My Blood Approves, #3)
  • The Good Ghouls' Guide to Getting Even (Beth Frasier #1)

The Morganville Vampires (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)
  • The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)
  • Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)
  • Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7)
  • Kiss of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8)
  • Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9)
  • Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires, #10)
  • Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11)
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2) Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6) Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)

“Perv."
He pointed to himself. "Male and eighteen. What's your point?”
2055 likes
“But that quickly faded, and he frowned. "You're bleeding," he said. "What happened?"
Claire sighed and held up her wrist to show him the bandage. "Man, you would be so embarrassed if I said it was something else." Michael looked blank. "I'm a girl, Michael, it could have been all natural, you know. Tampons?”
525 likes