Start by marking “In Lincoln's Hand: His Original Manuscripts with Commentary by Distinguished Americans” as Want to Read:

Published January 27th 2009 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about In Lincoln's Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Lincoln's Hand

Keith Kendall
Mar 27, 2011 Keith Kendall rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students of human nature
Shelves: history
This is such a beautiful coffee table book that I was hesitant to highlight passages, although I very much wanted to mark favorite parts that jumped out at me. I did not venture to make any highlights until the last day of reading it. This book is a delight glimpse into Lincoln’s character.

This book is not just original documents and their transcription; each document is accompanied by a commentary by a different author who selected that document for inclusion in this book. 43 Distinguished Ame
David
Mar 10, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
This book is maybe the most interesting I've read in five years.

It's just a collection of Lincoln's writings, photo-copies of his originals, with commentary and -- this is most helpful -- a typed version of what appears on the opposite page.

Reading the second inaug in his handwriting, or the letters to friends, or his instructions to generals (Let the thing be pressed) is interesting in this way, above all: The man had penmanship worse than any doctor you'll ever meet. If it wasn't for the typed
Manda
Jul 30, 2009 Manda rated it really liked it
As a art and literature person, I loved this book. It features the image of Lincoln's letter itself, the contents of it on the opposite page, and then commentary by a famous American writer, thinker, or politician.

Even though e-mail and texting has taken over our lives, I still enjoy getting a good handwritten letter. I appreciated this book because it gave me a tactile sense of Lincoln writing his thoughts on paper. I also think it gives the reader excellent insight into just how talented Linco
Laura Sims
May 27, 2013 Laura Sims rated it really liked it
This book came out during the 200th celebration of Lincoln’s birthday. The Library of Congress created an exhibit and this book was created to accompany the exhibition. This book is filled with primary sources of documents written by Abe Lincoln himself and the book has commentary by a large variety of famous Americans (former presidents, authors, actors, directors, etc. The entries are a variety of personal correspondence, speeches and important documents – along with crossed out words and phra ...more
Dick
Jun 24, 2009 Dick rated it it was amazing
Wonderful addition to my library. While I have read the contents of these manuscripts many times and even seen some of them personally, they are all here in one book. The fact that Lincoln wrote these and many more - shrinks the current crop of presidents for sure. His corrections in the writings is almost eerie to see. He did not have speechwriters - unlike today - nor any teleprompter to refer to. This is one of my most prized books in my library now.
Seth
Apr 12, 2016 Seth rated it really liked it
Primary sources are usually the best sources. I was a bit hesitant to expect much from the commentaries though, considering the political (or partisan) climate of modern America. The documents written by Lincoln were helpful in my research while the commentary was patriotic, albeit fair, yet nothing more than a way to sell another book on Lincoln.
Darla
Oct 21, 2009 Darla rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating. A written companion to the "With Malice Toward None" exhibit that was recently in Sac. Includes additional materials with insightful commentary. It focused on Lincoln's process of writing as well as the development of his politcal rhetoric. I learned a great deal about Lincoln the man rather than Lincoln the myth.
Elaine
Feb 22, 2009 Elaine added it
What insights to Lincoln are gained by reading these selected primary sources! Although many of the documents are well reviewed in other sources, this text includes many personal notes to friends that provide a look inside the heart of the man. His persistance and consistant focus on his values are demonstrated. I expecially appreciated current leaders reflecting on each of the selections.
Willa Grant
Oct 08, 2009 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing
If you are the littlest bit interested in A. Lincoln the person rather than the mythologized icon, this book is for you. Seeing how Lincoln wrote as well as what he wrote is fascinating. There are some things here I was not familiar with & I loved reading his letters & poems.

Richard Court
Aug 07, 2012 Richard Court rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It gives you great insight into Mr. Lincoln when you can actually read documents written in his own hand. You can even see where he dipped his pen for more ink!
Rachel
Jun 02, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
amazed at Lincoln's prose, so concise....astounding vocabulary for a man with virtually no education, even used the word "imply" correctly..
how many people do that ?????
June
Feb 20, 2012 June rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Various scans of President Lincoln's papers from the Library of Congress with transcriptions and commentaries.
Chris Carson
Chris Carson rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Ahaz
Ahaz rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Julie Fischer
Julie Fischer rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Jay
Jay rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2012
Inknscroll
Inknscroll rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Jean Gabriel
Jean Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2010
James
James rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Robin Cianciola
Robin Cianciola rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Dave Wetzler
Dave Wetzler rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2009
Kyle Wallis
Kyle Wallis rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Brynne
Brynne rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2012
Sandy Keeton
Sandy Keeton rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Alan Trock
Alan Trock rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Joshua Wolf Shenk is an essayist and the director of the Rose O'Neill Literary House at Washington College. His work has appeared in The Atlantic Monthly, Time, Harper’s Magazine, The New Yorker, The New York Times, among others, and in the national bestseller Unholy Ghost: Writers on Depression, edited by Nell Casey. He is the author of Lincoln’s Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President ...more
More about Joshua Wolf Shenk...