Start by marking “Rumpole and the Golden Thread” as Want to Read:
Rumpole and the Golden Thread

Rumpole and the Golden Thread (Rumpole of the Bailey #5)

In this engaging collection of stories, Rumpole continues to juggle deftly the vagaries of law, the ambiguities of crime, and the contradictions of the human heart in his death-defying performances on behalf of justice.

Contents: Rumpole and the genuine article — Rumpole and the Golden Thread — Rumpole and the Old Boy Net — Rumpole and the female of the species — Rumpole an
Published October 2nd 1984 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpole and the Golden Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpole and the Golden Thread

mark monday
Nov 29, 2010 mark monday rated it it was ok
Shelves: murdertime
the title story manages to weave old-fashioned morality, English legalese, colonialism, and the need for African independence into an inoffensive little mystery. but is that a valediction or a condemnation? this take on a loaded topic is certainly tasteful and wryly amusing. but should it be?

in general, Rumpole's timeless appeal continues to elude me - She Who Must Be Obeyed notwithstanding. the stories featuring his adventures are pleasant and innocuous; the gentle liberalism is enjoyable. but
MacK
Aug 04, 2013 MacK rated it liked it
Shelves: brit-lit
For me Rumpole stories (written by ex-lawyer John Mortimer) will forever be stories about familiarity and comfort, both because those motifs appear repeatedly throughout the series, and because the evoke those feelings within myself. Rumpole the aging defense lawyer is happiest with the Oxford Book of English Verse (which he quotes with aplomb), a stubby cigar and a bottle of cheap wine. As he strives to acquit each and every client he takes on (no matter how nefarious or cold-hearted they appea ...more
Vicki Cline
Apr 19, 2010 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
This collection had a couple of really interesting stories. In "Rumpole and the Golden Thread" he has to go to an African country to defend a politician on a murder charge. And in "Rumpole and the Old Boy Network" we meet the new head of chambers (not Rumpole, alas), Sam Ballard, who replaces Guthrie Featherstone, who's been elevated to judge. Having watched the TV series, it's very easy to visualize the action. Leo McKern was just perfect in the title role.
Mike
Feb 08, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
I love Rumpole, and recommend all of the Rumpole books to anyone who will listen...this particular book is not the best of the Rumpole books, but it still has a couple funny stories: Rumpole and the Last Resort is good, and one of the stories takes place in Africa -- which automatically makes it better! :)
John Machata
Jul 16, 2016 John Machata rated it it was amazing
References to Hamlet and PG Wodehouse...Rumpole parsing the English language in a thoroughly old fashioned manner... I am ashamed that have not anointed other works by John Mortimer with 5 stars. If you can read this without smiling, you need a long vaca in Samarkand or at least a large dose of the plonk, Chateau Thames Embankment from Pomeroy's Wine Bar!
Sandi
Mar 22, 2009 Sandi rated it really liked it
Rumpole travels to Africa, takes on the art world, defends a country squiress, and figures out an ingenius way to collect the fees that are owed him in this collection of short tales, read by Bill Wallis, featuring the always entertaining legal eagle and his cohorts.
Lynn Kearney
Mar 20, 2011 Lynn Kearney rated it really liked it
I don't know how I missed this one. It reminds me ow good the series is and makes me want to go back for a re-read and a re-watch.
Bill Porter
Nov 30, 2014 Bill Porter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done Horace. Well played SWMBO.
David Weinfeld
Dec 05, 2015 David Weinfeld rated it really liked it
Good old Rumpole, he still has a technique of getting what he wants and seems to always win.This is 3 short stories, all good.
Gray
Shelves: 03-jun-03
Rumpole is always good.
Judy
Jul 10, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
I love these Rumpole stories--and in this volume, he "dies", takes a trip to Africa, and continues his defense of the various members of the Timson family.
Melissa
Jun 13, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Short stories, so I would pick it up and put it down. Thanks to the audiobooks, I can hear the voices in my head when I read. Wonderful fun for those who love the genre
Rose
A good collection of Rumpole stories, which I think I prefer to the longer ones such as Rumpole and the Reign of Terror.
Pat Beard
Jun 16, 2016 Pat Beard rated it it was amazing
Fun. Particularly enjoyed Rumpole and the Last Resort, vintage Rumpole.
Toby Simmons
Toby Simmons rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2010
Willie G
Willie G rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Cathy Chua
Cathy Chua rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2009
Tweedledum
Tweedledum rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2013
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Karen Stone
Karen Stone rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Carolynn R
Carolynn R rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Robert Boyd
Robert Boyd rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2011
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Graeme
Graeme rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Stef
Stef rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Daffodil Affair  (Sir John Appleby, #8)
  • The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes, Volume 3
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • If This is Love, I'll Take Spaghetti
  • The Glimpses of the Moon (Gervase Fen, #10)
  • Shotguns v. Cthulhu
  • A Vintage From Atlantis
  • Let's Put the Future Behind Us
  • Canto for a Gypsy
  • Carpe Diem: Put a Little Latin in Your Life
  • Kane of Old Mars (Eternal Champion, #9)
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • Abracadaver (Sergeant Cribb, #3)
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • Murder Down Under
  • The Singing Detective
  • Black Butterflies
  • Brazilian Adventure
John Clifford Mortimer is a novelist, playwright and former practising barrister. Among his many publications are several volumes of Rumpole stories and a trilogy of political novels, Paradise Postponed, Titmuss Regained and The Sound of Trumpets, featuring Leslie Titmuss - a character as brilliant as Rumpole.

John Mortimer received a knighthood for his services to the arts in 1998.

Series:
Rumpole
More about John Mortimer...

Rumpole of the Bailey (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Rumpole of the Bailey
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • Rumpole's Return
  • Rumpole for the Defence
  • Rumpole's Last Case
  • Rumpole and the Age of Miracles (Rumpole)
  • Rumpole à la Carte