Start by marking “Rumpole and the Golden Thread” as Want to Read:
Rumpole and the Golden Thread

Rumpole and the Golden Thread (Rumpole of the Bailey #5)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this engaging collection of stories, Rumpole continues to juggle deftly the vagaries of law, the ambiguities of crime, and the contradictions of the human heart in his death-defying performances on behalf of justice.

Contents: Rumpole and the genuine article — Rumpole and the Golden Thread — Rumpole and the Old Boy Net — Rumpole and the female of the species — Rumpole an
Published October 2nd 1984 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpole and the Golden Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpole and the Golden Thread

mark monday
the title story manages to weave old-fashioned morality, English legalese, colonialism, and the need for African independence into an inoffensive little mystery. but is that a valediction or a condemnation? this take on a loaded topic is certainly tasteful and wryly amusing. but should it be?

in general, Rumpole's timeless appeal continues to elude me - She Who Must Be Obeyed notwithstanding. the stories featuring his adventures are pleasant and innocuous; the gentle liberalism is enjoyable. but
MacK
For me Rumpole stories (written by ex-lawyer John Mortimer) will forever be stories about familiarity and comfort, both because those motifs appear repeatedly throughout the series, and because the evoke those feelings within myself. Rumpole the aging defense lawyer is happiest with the Oxford Book of English Verse (which he quotes with aplomb), a stubby cigar and a bottle of cheap wine. As he strives to acquit each and every client he takes on (no matter how nefarious or cold-hearted they appea ...more
Bill Porter
Well done Horace. Well played SWMBO.
Vicki Cline
This collection had a couple of really interesting stories. In "Rumpole and the Golden Thread" he has to go to an African country to defend a politician on a murder charge. And in "Rumpole and the Old Boy Network" we meet the new head of chambers (not Rumpole, alas), Sam Ballard, who replaces Guthrie Featherstone, who's been elevated to judge. Having watched the TV series, it's very easy to visualize the action. Leo McKern was just perfect in the title role.
Mike
Feb 08, 2009 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humour
I love Rumpole, and recommend all of the Rumpole books to anyone who will listen...this particular book is not the best of the Rumpole books, but it still has a couple funny stories: Rumpole and the Last Resort is good, and one of the stories takes place in Africa -- which automatically makes it better! :)
Sandi
Rumpole travels to Africa, takes on the art world, defends a country squiress, and figures out an ingenius way to collect the fees that are owed him in this collection of short tales, read by Bill Wallis, featuring the always entertaining legal eagle and his cohorts.
Brian
Rumpole is always good.
Judy
I love these Rumpole stories--and in this volume, he "dies", takes a trip to Africa, and continues his defense of the various members of the Timson family.
Lynn Kearney
I don't know how I missed this one. It reminds me ow good the series is and makes me want to go back for a re-read and a re-watch.
Rose
A good collection of Rumpole stories, which I think I prefer to the longer ones such as Rumpole and the Reign of Terror.
Gray
I love this man.
Mark
Mark added it
Aug 16, 2015
Émilie Deschamps
Émilie Deschamps marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Michelle Lia
Michelle Lia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2015
Joan
Joan added it
Jun 03, 2015
David Bainbridge
David Bainbridge marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 24, 2015
  • The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes, Volume 3
  • Abracadaver (Sergeant Cribb, #3)
  • Gypsy in Amber
  • A Vintage From Atlantis
  • Dead Man's Chest (Phryne Fisher, #18)
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • Murder Down Under
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • If This is Love, I'll Take Spaghetti
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • Kane of Old Mars (Eternal Champion, #9)
  • Shotguns v. Cthulhu
  • The Complete Pegāna: All the Tales Pertaining to the Fabulous Realm of Pegāna
  • Riotous Assembly (Piemburg, #1)
  • The Singing Detective
  • Let's Put the Future Behind Us
  • My World And Welcome To It
  • Brazilian Adventure
John Clifford Mortimer is a novelist, playwright and former practising barrister. Among his many publications are several volumes of Rumpole stories and a trilogy of political novels, Paradise Postponed, Titmuss Regained and The Sound of Trumpets, featuring Leslie Titmuss - a character as brilliant as Rumpole.

John Mortimer received a knighthood for his services to the arts in 1998.

Series:
Rumpole
More about John Mortimer...

Rumpole of the Bailey (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Rumpole of the Bailey
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • Rumpole's Return
  • Rumpole for the Defence
  • Rumpole's Last Case
  • Rumpole and the Age of Miracles (Rumpole)
  • Rumpole à la Carte
  • Rumpole on Trial
  • Rumpole and the Angel of Death
  • Rumpole Rests His Case
Rumpole of the Bailey The First Rumpole Omnibus Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders Rumpole Rests His Case Rumpole and the Reign of Terror