MARS: Horse With No Name (Prequel)

MARS: Horse With No Name (Mars #16)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  710 ratings  ·  20 reviews
We know how the story ended...but how did it begin? In this special edition of MARS, we explore what happens when Kira meets Rei for the very first time. Longtime friends Tatsuya and Rei are acting more like enemies these days as they battle it out for Kira's affections. Will they be able to mend their friendship and settle their tense conflict once and for all? As a speci...more
Published July 13th 2004 by Tokyopop (first published December 1st 2003)

Leila Anani
This 16th volume in the epic Mars romantic saga is in fact an anthology of three stories only one which is related to Mars - the title piece Horse with No name. It shows how Rei really met Kira for the first time (which is kind of pointless as the asking directions in book 1 works just fine) - what it's really about it how Rei and Tatsuya become friends. It did however lead me to seek out the America song which has since become one of my firm favourites - which was the best thing I got out of re...more
Sara Pelg
Let me begin by saying I have not read any other manga in the MARS series. I bought this for a friend because she is in process of collecting the MARS series, and I've been curious to read them because she loves them. After noticing this was a prequel to the series, I figured it wouldn't hurt to read it, and possibly get a bit of backstory before reading the rest. Unfortunately, this prequel made zero sense to me. I understand the premise just fine, but the manga really seemed to jump around, an...more
Beth
This anthology does not deliver the promise of the cover blurb: an exploration of Kira and Rei's first meeting. That scene does appear, and figures prominently in the plot only because the real focus is on the friendship/competition that develops between Rei and Tatsuya. Tatsuya is Kira's best friend, and has been in love with her, like, forever. And so, he can't stand to see anyone treat her badly. He doesn't know at this point that Kira and Rei are going to get together, but since we do, the d...more
Spring Holbrook
First off this volume has the most misleading cover text ever. Rei and Tatsuya's friendship wasn't in jeopardy because of them fighting over Kira, since in this story they aren't even friends (yet).

Basically it's just a prequel showing how Rei and Tatsuya came to be friends, plus a couple more stories by the same author. It's not really as engaging as Mars as a series was, but it's still nice to have a little more background.

There's also a couple other stories by Fuyumi Soryo. They're both stori...more
Vicky
Sep 11, 2011 Vicky rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Shoujo Fans, Romantics
Horse with no Name is a prequel to MARS, released after 15 volumes of Rei and Kira's story. The story highlights the first meeting of Rei and Kira, a sweet moment for anyone who is familiar with the series, but focuses more on the friendship that forms between Rei and Tatsuya.

The story relating to MARS is only about 1/3rd of the book, the remaining pages are the shorts "Sleeping Lion" and "A One-Carat Fruit." These two shorts were not my cup of tea, and I was hoping for more MARS related storie...more
Candy
Ever since Tokyo Pop decided to come out and make this series avaliable in English I was there buying volume 1-15/16 month after month. I fell in love with the art style and the characters even before I read the manga. This is when it wasn't even translated. However at the age of 15 reading this series it was my favourite and now at the age of 25 it still is.

This is a great romance manga for anyone who likes the theme and a plot of bad boy falls for quite girl and drama. Enjoy.
Major
Jul 08, 2010 Major rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: children learning about friendships.
This is the sixteenth book in a series of books about about two friends, Rei and Kira. This book is a prequel to the series. It explains how Rei and Kira originally meet. I did not like this book very much. It was very hard for me to keep track of what I was reading. I do not think I would enjoy reading books backwards for pleasure.
VanessaFaye
May 27, 2007 VanessaFaye rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who likes good shoujo!
one of the best drawn shoujo mangas I've ever seen and I'm referring to the entire series of 15 books plus this side story. It's a good romance with serious issues intertwined. Some argue that the main character is too whinny, but she gets better. It's about learning to trust and accepting the horrors life may bring.
Arianna
In the italian version this story was published with other two completely disconnected from Mars. The stories itself were nice enough, but nothing special and especially Horse With No Name gave nothing more to Mars that was not already written in the manga. Nothing that should be a must if you loved Mars.
Werehare
7,5/10

Storia 1/3:
Mi è piaciuto quasi di più della serie originale, nonostante sia un libretto da una manciata di pagine. Niente melodrammi amorosi, una storiella breve e senza pretese, i soliti disegni bellissimi e la solita bravura dell'autrice nell'orchestrare la grafica delle tavole.
Kiwi Marie
This was supposed to be about Rei and his friend Tatsuya before they were friends but it had almost nothing to do with either! I expected more of Rei and Tatsuya than the other people mentioned in here, who by the way had no role in the other books what so ever!
Delicious Strawberry
Many were dismayed with the end of the MARS series, but the author released this cool story which serves as a sort of prequel to the MARS storyline, and gives some focus to characters other than Rei and Kira. A nice bit of bonus reading.
Jenni
This prequel were included in the taiwanese drama adaption of Mars! That Kira-dropping-the-keys scene were memorable, since it was like a flashback in the drama.
Forever one of my favorite manga!
Charamy
I've read all of the Mars series and I loved it very much!
(This isn't just a good read for girls, guys like it, too. I have proof. XD). I felt too lazy to add the others, but... read this series!
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jul 18, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- marked it as to-read-someday
I'm a bit angry with myself that I never bought this when it was available. Why? I was afraid it would tarnish my thoughts on the series itself. Maybe someday I'll read it, though...
Tadamono
I thought this was just a prequel story to Mars, but it's actually also has a couple of unrelated oneshot stories that were pretty good.
Monica
Jul 08, 2013 Monica rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: manga, mars
Ok. Not really that great. Boring and there were a bunch of random short stories that had nothing to do with the series at all.
Nikki Kelly
A nice touch to add on after the end of the series, but not nearly enough to quench your thirst for more.
Patricia
**read them all as they became available. Check out the first volume for my review and description.
TFGamer
Standalone, three different stories.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 9
  • Marmalade Boy, Vol. 07
  • Paradise Kiss, Volume 4
  • Tramps Like Us, Volume 13
  • Miori (Ceres, Celestial Legend #8)
Fuyumi Soryo (惣領 冬実 Sōryō Fuyumi?, born January 6, 1959) is a Japanese manga artist from Beppu, Oita, Japan. She is a graduate of the Oita prefectural Geijutsu Midorigaoka High School.

She was born into the home of a master of the Kanze school of Noh. In her childhood she liked to draw pictures of horses and things but had no special interest in manga. While enrolled in fashion college, she happene...more
More about Fuyumi Soryo...
Mars, Volume 01 Mars, Volume 03 Mars, Volume 02 Mars, Volume 04 Mars, Volume 07