Start by marking “Strength to Your Sword Arm: Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
Strength to Your Sword Arm: Selected Writings

Strength to Your Sword Arm: Selected Writings

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Passionate and iconoclastic, these 80 articles and essays represent Ueland's entirely original view of the moral, social, and political issues of Midwestern, and American life. "Her personality leaps off the page in all its quirky intensity."--Wilson Library Bulletin
Published January 1st 1996 by Holy Cow! Press (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Strength to Your Sword Arm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strength to Your Sword Arm

Bookseedstudio
If you are ready to write & publish you are ready to read Brenda Ueland.

She was a salty & kind & deeply feeling news writer & essayist with great sensibilities.
Her ideas have carried me through many a writing assignment in newsrooms. Now she is my guide in writing books.

She is a also a guide in living. A life coach before the term popped up. Her columns about being with children are hilarious. She has a sure-fire way to get them to bed that is so obvious, I think half of the po
Deborah
Dec 02, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
A heart-strengthening volume, I liked this introduction to Brenda Ueland. As she might say: Charge!

Courage, daring, honour, truthfulness - Brenda Ueland fiercely espoused chivalric ideals.
Her highest praise is to compare someone to a knight. Courage is the greatest quality of all.

To change oneself or the world for the better requires two things: 1. A continuing vigorous restlessness of the intellect and the imagination and 2. A continuing jovial courage.

We must try to find our True Conscience, o
Mary Jane
Mar 04, 2014 Mary Jane rated it really liked it
A collection of essays, mostly journalism, some of which are quite dated but others are real gems. Particularly powerful is the piece on "listening as an act of love". A true second-wave feminist, freethinking Unitarian!
Hannah  Messler
Aug 10, 2011 Hannah Messler rated it it was amazing
Oh man, this lady. I found her "If You Want to Write" purely by chance, years ago, and have read it probably half a dozen times since. She is one of those ladies who make you feel the whole world is great and green, and that it is your duty to be as joyful in it as you possibly can be.

This book turned up also purely by chance, in the Cure on 12th Street the other day, when I stopped out of terror I'd finish the book I was reading before the train got me home. What an ugly cover they put on it.
Carolyn
Nov 20, 2009 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
I happened upon an excerpt from this book while having a study break in grad school and loved her straightforward and confident style. Her writings were inspiring to me and have settled comfortably in the back of my mind, urging me to have strength when things get particularly tough or challenging.
Mark
May 10, 2009 Mark rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. Brief writings in the Mpls StarTribune from over the years. She congenitally lacks the herd instinct.
Louise
May 09, 2008 Louise added it
An old warrior, and some of these essays are dated. But the spirit, the fire is still there...for the reading!
Doreen
Oct 04, 2008 Doreen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Some parts may seem old-fashione, but her voice is charming and her courage comes through in every line.
Diana Faltermaier
Diana Faltermaier rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Rona Roberts
Rona Roberts is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2016
Renee Jaspers
Renee Jaspers rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Nita
Nita marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Mark Perkins
Mark Perkins marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Adina
Adina marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
lara
lara marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Ashlyn Kittrell
Ashlyn Kittrell marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Malcolm
Malcolm marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Steve Lauhoff
Steve Lauhoff rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Douglas Gardner
Douglas Gardner marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
KrisAnne
KrisAnne rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Tabitha
Tabitha rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Jason Prodoehl
Jason Prodoehl rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
diane
diane marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Tony Jones
Tony Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Brenda Ueland was a journalist, editor, freelance writer, and teacher of writing. She is best known for her book If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit.

Ueland was born to Andreas and Clara Hampson Ueland; the third of seven children. She attended Wells and Barnard colleges and received her baccalaureate from Barnard in 1913. She lived in and around New York City for much o
More about Brenda Ueland...

“Now before going to a party, I just tell myself to listen with affection to anyone who talks to me, to be in their shoes when they talk, to try to know them without my mind pressing against theirs, or arguing, or changing the subject. No. My attitude is: 'Tell me more.' This person is showing me his soul. It is a little dry and meager and full of grinding talk just now, but presently he will begin to think, not just automatically to talk. He will show his true self. Then he will be wonderfully alive.' ...Creative listeners are those who want you to be recklessly yourself, even at your very worst, even vituperative, bad-tempered. They are laughing and just delighted with any manifestation of yourself, bad or good. For true listeners know that if you are bad-tempered it does not mean that you are always so. They don't love you just when you are nice; they love all of you.” 6 likes
“Strength to your sword arm!” 2 likes