Start by marking “Pip & Squeak” as Want to Read:
Pip & Squeak

Pip & Squeak

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Pip & Squeak are going to a party.

Far from home, Squeak sees that Pip has left their gift behind. Oh, no! Squeak is mad. Pip is in a pickle. They are late already, and deep snow is everywhere! How will Pip and Squeak ever find the perfect present for their friend Gus?
Published December 26th 2006 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Pip & Squeak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pip & Squeak

Vivian
How does this book fit into a story time on the theme of flamingos?

As I held the book up for the forty children attending library story time I said, "I spy with my little eye something that's white and round and cold".

"A snowman!!!" the children cried. So we all stood up and acted out the little song "Once there was a snowman, snowman, snowman; Once there was a snowman tall, t a l l, TALL! In the sun he melted, melted melted; In the sun he melted small, small, small." (sorry, I could not find a
Heidi
Oh how cute is this one! I loved the illustrations. That's what most of the book is. Few words which are fairly simple and good for beginning readers as well as reading to young audiences. Seeing typical human objects in a different way would also keep their attention. And how can you not like two cute little mice with cute names like Pip and Squeak? Plus, their emotions and reactions--portrayed quite well in the pictures--are very human-like and most ages can relate to them and understand them.
Mary
The illustrations in this picture book are vibrant, featuring bright primary colors and large, realistic characterizations. But the story itself is slow and young children may become bored by it and the antics of Pip and Squeak, mice who are on the hunt for a gift for the unseen(until the end) Gus. This book sits on the memorable animal shelf but, sadly, it may be all too soon forgotten.

CIP Summary
"Two Mice rush through the snow to get to their friend's birthday party, only to realize that they
Bmack
This book is large with colorful illustrations so it would be great for a storytime. There is also a simple story of two mice who are taking a gift to rabbit but forget it at home. The story is their adventure on the way to the party and how they come across another gift for rabbit. There is a party at the end but it doesn't look like Christmas so it could be used as a general holiday book or just one with a winter theme.
Camille
I read this book a few months back and didn't like it, but just re-read it to write this review, and its a whole different book from what I remember! Wow.

Anyway, Pip and Squeak are off to their friend Gus' birthday party, but they forgot the present. So along they way come across different possible presents. They find one and its awesome.

I'm trying to think of how to describe Schoenherr's style. Sparse? His text and his characters say what they have to say in as little words as possible. But tha
Edward Creter
Pip and Squeak are two mice that know how to live! They scurry around for a gift for their rabbit friend and find a carrot on a snowman, thinking it's something else..and this story truly is something else! It's cute and cuddly as mice themselves, and worth its weight in gold...24 CARROTS!!!
Ariel Cummins
Pip and Squeak are in such a hurry to get to their friend Gus's birthday party that they forget his gift! They rush through the winter landscape, and end up finding just the right present.

The acrylic and ink illustrations are nice, but nothing incredibly special. Some of the perspectives used are interesting, but occasionally to the point of being difficult to understand.

Nothing wrong with this book, but nothing too outstanding either. Short text might make this a candidate for read-aloud to yo
Deb
Like the sense of perspective and proportion in the illustrations.
Scott Roark
Use this book for a lesson that shows that each of us is an individual and that we may not like all the same things. Can also be shown as selfish, because the mice wanted to bring a rabbit cheese (what they like). They forget the cheese at home and eventually find a carrot, which he obviuosly loves.
Self to text? Have students write about a gift they received that they didn't love. Did they ever change their mind and started to like/use it? What would they rather have had?
jacky
This was read at story time today at the library. I particularly liked the way that our librarian read this book. The author wrote the text relying on the illustrations to fill in some of the story. Our librarian always paused to point out these things, especially at the end pointing out that Gus is not a mouse. Overall, a cute story with a little winter adventure. It is also a fun look at perspective - a mouse point of view of the world.
Tabatha
Julie Esanu
Mouse friends Pip & Squeak must hurry to their friend Gus' birthday party but forget their special gift. They hope to find a better gift as they travel across a winter wonderland. Eventually they come across something big and orange (but not cheese) that Gus might like.
Elaine
Pip and Squeak were determined to bring the right gift to Gus and run into adventurous dilemmas. The story was told very will accompanied by very good illustrations. The ending was the most favorite part of the story with the kids during storytime.
Jen
This is an adorable story about two mice who are going to a party and one leaves the gift behind. They have no time to go back and get it and what they end up finding and using for a gift is better than what they had. Great story to read!
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

Wesley liked this story. He thought the mice were funny!
Bailey Jane
What a sweet little book. Bought this for my 5-month old daughter yesterday and she seemed to enjoy the LARGE pictures and simple drawings. It isn't too long and it's perfect for the Christmas season. :-)
Alycia Boyce
Story about two mice who forget their friend's birthday present. They must find something else to get him. This is a fun book to read with children because they know things that the characters do not.
Robin
Charming mice, interesting perspectives (which will help children to look closer and make guesses about what is happening, and a sweet story of friendship. short text so good for young preschoolers.
Cheryl
Well, it's adorable. Kind of quiet, in a way, not much to say about it except that we would have enjoyed it when my boys were tiny. Read Dolly's review.
Angela Record
This book is a very cute story and fun to read with children. The pictures are good too. This book would be neat to use for team work!
Leah
Cute book that helps kids with sharing/being thoughtful of others. Good read in the winter.
Ashton
Simple Idea, very sweet. I love the end. All around good children's book.
Colette
Not much text, but the pictures help children understand the cute story line.
Jen
short and super cute. realistic drawings with neat perspectives.
Debra
Very cute book and Chiara can read it all!
Thia
snowmen, mice, friends, birthday
melissa
one of my absolute favorites!
Michelle
Cute. Very nice pictures.
Zonia
  • Oh!
  • Snowballs
  • The Red Hen
  • The Snow Day
Read It, Don't Eat It! Cat & Mouse Don't Spill the Beans! Sunrise, Sunset Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)