Start by marking “Dating is Murder” as Want to Read:
Dating is Murder

Dating is Murder (Wollie Shelley Mystery #2)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  571 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Wollie Shelley, the plucky amateur sleuth Kirkus Reviews called “funny, brave, smart, and altogether the fetchingest crime heroine since the early Stephanie Plum,” returns to face suspect lovers and unlovable suspects in this hilarious sequel to Dating Dead Men.

Wollie Shelley is a greeting card artist struggling to keep afloat financially and to pursue—despite a series o...more
Published March 14th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dating is Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dating is Murder

Dlora
A sequel to Dating Dead Men, this mystery is just as fun and quirky as the last one, although the plot was a little more screwball. I should have a bookshelf for humor, since my most favorite books usually have to have that element, and this one does. Wollie's love interest from the first book has broken their engagement and moved to Asia to try to get custody of his daughter and Wollie is missing him and his sweet daughter and bemoaning the fact that she isn't a mother--maybe brought on by bein...more
Angela
I must have been the only person that did not like this book. I did not like the plot - and the only interesting portion of the book - which actually held my attention, occurred in the last 30 or so pages. I won't go into a long discussion about what the book is about - but I just felt like the plot was disjointed - as if the author was driving around in circles, getting nowhere in particular. I didn't understand the point of having the game show Biological Clock as the center theme. And for all...more
Chantel
Dating is Murder (Wollie Shelley, Bk 2) (Audio CD) (Unabridged)
Author: Bernadette Dunne (Narrator), Harley Jane Kozak

Wollie Shelley, a greeting-card artist in Los Angeles, California, is featured. Wollie is struggling to keep afloat financially and to pursue—despite a series of recent disasters—the search for the love of her life. She reluctantly agrees to be a contestant on the reality television show Biological Clock. The show's premise: six eligible singles date each other, and the audience v...more
Marfita
Kara Jorges
Wollie Shelley is a thirtysomething single woman living in the greater LA area. She does a variety of odd jobs from designing greeting cards and painting murals to being a contestant on a reality dating show. She’s working through the heartbreak of having her fiancé dump her and move to Asia with his daughter. This starts to take a backseat to intrigue when a friend of hers, Annika Glük, disappears.

Annika had been in LA working as an au pair for the Quinn family, plus working as a production ass...more
Jill Bratcher
Dec 29, 2010 Jill Bratcher rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans, Los Angelinos, people who love to laugh
Shelves: harley
Sequel to "Dating Dead Men", this book is equally fun and funny. We catch up with Wollie Shelley shortly after her ex-fiance "Doc" (whom we met in the first book as her would-be-kidnapper, former high school teacher, ex-felon love interest) has broken up with her and left for Asia to pursue custody of his daughter, Ruby. Having participated in a "dating project" in the first book, greeting card artist Wollie now is cast as one of three female 'contestants' on a low-budget reality TV show called...more
Rebecca
Sep 12, 2008 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephanie Plum fans
Recommended to Rebecca by: Mr. Al Ruby
Wollie is back and so are the shinanigens! Wollie, desparate for help in the health insurance dept, signs on to a botton-of-the-barrel reality show. It's bad enough that there is barely any budget and the director, creative front-runner and all around annoying pest is constantly yelling at everyone, but her best friend is there trowling on the make-up and dispensing unsolited advise on every turn.
To make things worse, her new friend and math tutor goes missing and no one seems interested. What'...more
Birgit
Wollstonecraft (kurz Wollie) ist nicht nur mit einem einprägsamen Namen gestraft, sondern auch mit Geldsorgen, Männerproblemen und dem Drang, Dingen auf den Grund zu gehen. Nachdem ihre Freundin, ein Au Pair Mädchen, auf mysteriöse Weise verschwindet, lässt sie nichts unversucht, dies aufzuklären, da sich scheinbar sonst niemand so wirklich für deren Verschwinden interessiert.
Mag es solche Ideen schon in zigfacher Ausführung von anderen Autoren geben, so ist diese besonders gut gelungen. Die Cha...more
Mark Baker
Wollie's appearance on a reality dating show gets her involved when a German au pair, and volunteer member of the crew, goes missing. The plot is a bit slow in the first half, but it picks up for the second. Wollie is a wonderful main character, and the rest of the cast is great as well.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Katy
I felt about the same about this book as I did Kozak's first book, "Dating Dead Men." It all just seemed very slow. I seldom felt like I needed to keep reading, like I was sucked in, or like I couldn't stop at the end of this chapter and must read the next. To be honest, this series is the one I read at night that helps me fall asleep because I don't get so sucked in that I stay up reading.

The plot was fine - I felt like the reader learns more about the characters in this second book, which was...more
Jan
Wollie Shelly is trying to suppliment her income from designing greeting cards by participating in a reality series called Biological Clock. While working on the series she meets and becomes friends with Annika, an au pair from Germany. When Annika disappears, Wollie can not help but look for her. When she starts getting warnings to mind her own business, she still can not stop. Then when Annika's boyfriend also goes missing, Wollie becomes even more involved. She and her friends try to solve th...more
Melissa
Book #43 read in 2014

Eh. I did not enjoy most of this book. The reality show premise was strange and the lectures on having kids seemed so out of place with what was actually happening in Wollie's love life. The last 50 pages or so contained the best part of the story.
I would highly recommend this in audio book format. This narrator is a total riot to listen too, and is totally keeping me interested.

This was pretty stereotypical of this genre. Chick trying to investigate something, dude trying to keep her safe but tells her just not enough so she gets herself into trouble. And of course, the lands right in the badguy's lap, is saved, and the dude and chick end up together. But that's ok, this was still entertaining, had some really funny lines, and kept me en...more
Ileana
This book is completely ridiculous. The plot is crazy, the concept is weird and the main character is a paranoid, unemployed worrywart looking for love in all the wrong places. I felt bad for myself while I was reading this that I could not put it down. I actually craved reading it, just to get through it. One of those guilty pleasures I suppose. But don't get dragged in. It is completely superficial and addictive, like a bad reality tv show... actually, a bad reality tv show is a major part of...more
Julie Marks
Chick Lit meets Reality TV in this second mystery featuring greeting card designer Wollie Shelley who is also moonlighting on a new television show "Biological Clock" where the viewers get to vote on which combination of the six contestants would make the best parents. Wollie gets sidetracked when she hears that Annika, an assistant for the TV show and her math tutor, is missing. Not being very well versed in criminal investigations, Wollie finds herself in some rather questionable circumstances...more
Ginny
Feb 14, 2009 Ginny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephanie Plum fans
Shelves: borrowed, series, comical
So much better than "Dating Dead Men" by the same author. This was more like reading a Janet Evanovich novel, only not so kultzy. Wollie's math tutor is missing, and because she is feeling gulity for not giving her 10 minutes of her time the previous week, goes off looking for her, But as she does this life goes on, she must show up for her part in a reality dating show and finish painting her mural of frogs in a friend's kitchen. See the possibilities. Throw in a police detective and a mysterio...more
Nikki
One of the best mysteries I read in 2007. Wollie Shelley, a greeting-card designer who supports her schizophrenic brother, is trying to make money and get health insurance by participating in a reality=tv show involving dating. She's also trying to finish college and so when her math tutor, a German au pair, disappears, she's highly motivated to find her. Hijinks, as well as murders, ensue. Set in LA, and you can tell the author (who was in the movie Parenthood and others) knows whereof she writ...more
Hillary-kristen
I really appreciate the character, Wollie. She came to life for me. Actually, I think that Harley Kozak did a fantastic job with all of these characters. I thought Joey and Fredreeq were hilarious. I enjoyed Bing Wooster's antics. It's a light, funny comedy.... my only gripe= I wish there was so more oomph to the ending. I felt that there was a big buildup and then not as much as I expected in the end. Otherwise, it's a great book! A fun read.
Margaret
Aug 09, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2008
Well, not bad - I enjoyed all the L.A. references (although it was mostly the Valley! LOL, sorry, inside L.A. joke). I've been kind of on the hunt for a more intelligent cozy mystery heroine and Wollie wasn't that since she made the cardinal mistake of being alone with her number one suspect. It was amusing at times though and I liked the way the author handled the men in the story from her uncle & brother to the policeman and FBI agent.
Sugardaddiecom
LIke alot of books I read, I'm glad I got over judging books to quickly as this turned into a fun read. Not quite Stephanie Plum but close enough so that Evanovich fans will love this character too. I started reading "chick books" as my friend calls them when A female friend gave me a few when I was injured. I can't thank her enough as books like this one have seriously broadened my horizons!
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide)
The book was just okay... I enjoyed the first one, but the second book was just too different. It took out the main love interest from the first and was an entirely different story. The plot itself was fine, but I just couldn't get over how different it was from the first. Needless to say, I won't keep going in the series. Oh well!
Evelyn
Still short on cash, greeting card artist Wollie Shelley joins a reality TV show called Biological Clock where she inadvertently becomes involved in a drug smuggling ring.
Second in a series.

Laugh-out-loud funny situations and a cast of offbeat characters make this mystery zip right along. Highly recommend.
Sue Bradford Edwards
This was another audio book -- I listen to them while I knit and crochet. Good mystery and interesting characters. Generally safe to listen to with the children in the room. Might have given it 4 stars except A Thousand Splendid Suns is a really though act to follow.

--SueBE

Marci
While the first in the series was a little overly fluffy, it was still fun. This one...just vapid. When I could focus in on the mystery it wasn't bad, but all of the whining about Doc, falling over herself to catch a look at the tallest guy with the bluest eyes...bah. Really bad this time.
madrano
This was cute & enjoyable but i wouldn't run out to read more...or even the next installment. Kozak is an actress whose work i liked, so it's nice to see she has yet another career going. I read 1 1/2 more books in this series but haven't even rushed to get to the rest of the 1/2 book.
So maybe this should be 3.5 stars, I liked the second one in the series better than the first. A little bit less of the weirdness with the mentally ill brother. Lots of funny weird Hollywood types, a mysterious disappearance and murder, with our heroine bumbling towards a solution.
Daisyaday
Really fun, light mystery. Similar to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum. Greeting card designer/wall muralist has a temporary job on a reality show when a friend/au pair vanishes. Wollie must find her since no one else seems to be looking for her. The end is a little disappointing.
Janet
This was a fun mystery, and clean. So refreshing! This is my first time to read this author, but I will find more of hers. The reason I tried her is that the book jacket blurb compared her to Sue Grafton, who is one of my favorites. I get in mystery book moods. :0)
Carole Denise Dixon
Harley Jane Kozak's writing style is hard to get used to. I practically have to force myself to read her books. Don't get me wrong, the stories are great! I would recommend these books, but tell folks not to expect a quick read.
Nancy
One of my new favorite authors for a fun read. I love the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich and she recommended this author as her top pick for mysteries. Fun characters, romance, mystery. What more can you ask for?!?
  • Death in Perspective (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #4)
  • Heartache Motel (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3.5)
  • Small Town Spin (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery #3)
  • Designed to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #2)
  • Suede to Rest
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • Double Whammy (Davis Way #1)
  • Board Stiff (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery, #1)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Bubbles Betrothed (Bubbles Yablonsky, #5)
  • The Highly Effective Detective (Highly Effective Detective #1)
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, Book 1)
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • A Hard Day's Fright (Pepper Martin #7)
  • Murder at Longbourn (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #1)
  • Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2)
Harley Jane Kozak is an American actress and author. She was born Susan Jane Kozak in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Dorothy (Taraldsen), a university music teacher, and Joseph Aloysius Kozak, an attorney. She was raised in Nebraska and attended New York University.

Kozak has written four novels: Dating Dead Men (2004), Dating Is Murder : A Novel (2005), Dead Ex (2007), and A Date You...more
More about Harley Jane Kozak...
Dating Dead Men Dead Ex A Date You Can't Refuse Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2) Madeeda