Start by marking “Rumpole Rests His Case” as Want to Read:
Rumpole Rests His Case

Rumpole Rests His Case (Rumpole of the Bailey #11)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  619 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The comic, courageous, and corpulent Horace Rumpole reenters the fray in these seven fresh and funny stories in which the “great defender of muddled and sinful humanity” triumphs over the forces of prejudice and mean-mindedness while he tiptoes precariously through the domestic territory of his wife, Hilda—She Who Must Be Obeyed! With his passion for poetry, and a nose equ ...more
Published November 25th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpole Rests His Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpole Rests His Case

Tony
Mortimer, John. RUMPOLE RESTS HIS CASE. (2002). ****.
This is a collection of short stories featuring Rumpole and his efforts in the Old Bailey addressing contemporary problems of the day. Although Mortimer’s strength seems to better fit the novel than the short story form, these are still good reads. The difference is that Mortimer dispenses with much of the humor that we have come to expect in the Rumpole series in favor of quicker, deeper character studies. There are seven short stories in th
John Carter
It’s impossible not to like a Rumpole story. I got a bit of a surprise out of this collection though, because I’d just finished Rumpole and the Primrose Path and I found that the first story in that (for which the book is named) follows immediately after the last story here—again the title story. References to earlier cases are common in the Rumpole œuvre, but this is the only case I can think of offhand where the timeline of two tales is so clear and tight. I bought several Rumpoles at the same ...more
Judy
What can I say? I love Horace Rumpole. These are seven new short stories in which elderly, rumbled, overweight Horace Rumpole, with his daily glasses of Chateau Thames Embankment and small cigars, is the "great defender of muddled and sinful humanity". And that's the public Rumpole. At home, he quietly battles She Who Must Be Obeyed--his wife, Hilda. All of the familiar characters are here in these stories and all are delightful.
Doug
Mar 12, 2009 Doug rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I actually listened to this as an audio book. I've done this with two of his books -- Luckily they both had excellent readers that brought the characters to life. Wonderfully enjoyable. Plus I get to walk around hearing my thoughts in a rich british accent for the next couple of days!
Kasia James
Good solid stuff from Sir John Mortimer again - an enjoyable ramble through the back corridors of the Old Bailey. I always susepct that barristers would never really get to do so much detective work as Rumpole, but perhaps would like to.
Highly recommended.
bookczuk
I'm a John Mortimer, particularly a Rumpole, fan. Rumpole will forever,. in my mind, be as portrayed in the PBS production by Leo McKErn.

These were some fine stories that allowed me to revisit with old friends from Rumpole's world.
G B'man
There are very few book series that have made me want to jump in, walk the rooms, and sit down for a meal with the characters. Second only to to Hogwarts and the Weasley home in the Harry Potter series, with Rumpole is where I want to be.
Rade
most of the stories were pretty short and kind of predictable. None of them made me say "no way that guy did it." I never heard of Rumpole before and since this was the book I had at hand, I gave it a shot. Not sure if I will read other books that featured this ambitious character. The stories did not suck me in but I still powered through as I try not to give up on books very often.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
I had a sneaking feeling the whole time that I had read these stories before. It is both the blessing and curse of Mortimer's writing. It is well written, enjoyable to read, memorable characters, but not really memorable plots. They are so easy to read that they don't stick too well. The one thing I got from this reading was that Mortimer lived very near where I live now and named a lot of the minor characters and places around places that are nearbly. There was a Lady Shiplake and a Lady Binfie ...more
Diane Heath
My introduction to Rumple. A series of short stories. Somewhat dry but interesting
MisterFweem
As much as I enjoy watching Leo McKern play at Rumpole of the Bailey on PBS, this book by creator John Mortimer is only tolerable. McKern adds so much to the characterization of Rumpole that it's enjoyable. Reading Mortimer's prose, however, isn't much of a pleasure. Certainly, they add a lot taking one of his short stories -- and that's pretty much what these are -- and fleshing it out into a full episode. Mortimer ought to try that with his stories as well.
Richard Thompson
37. RUMPOLE REST HIS CASE by John Mortimer / Viking 2001 / ISBN 0-670-91085-6 / crime-humour / completed 10.09.10 / I think I must have read this before some time in the past. The titles of some of the pieces seemed very familiar. Still a fun read the second time round (if it was the second time round...)
Ilona
Love the writing, love the wry humour, love the stories. Rumpole is annoying, endearing, self-destructive, self-deprecating, smart, and very, very funny. My grandfather used to read Rumpole books; this is the first I've picked up, but I'll be back for more. Fun!
Heather
This was my first taste of Rumpole. Mortimer's character is delightful - he reminds me a bit of Columbo, a bit of Holmes, in the ways in which he goes about solving the crimes. This is a collection of short stories.
Jerry Casey
I'm sure if I were a retired lawyer I would find this hysterical. At this point in my life all I can think is that I'm not that codgerish. ... It was a great light read. Beach reading for a cloudy Oregon beach.
Helen
John Mortimer's "Rumpole" is always good. Rumpole is now moivng along with the times, but still enjoys his small cigar and Pomeroy's Plonk.

And I found out what a "Camberwell Carrot" was!!!
Marilou
Even though I've seen all these stories dramatized by Leo Kern, they still sounded fresh and funny. Biting British humour - brought many smiles and a chuckle out loud on many days. Love Rumpole!
Kevin
First Rumpole book I actually read after being a fan of the series & christening the missus SWMBO. Apparently the TV series follows the books almost word for word. A nice light funny fast read.
David Hack
Having enjoyed many episodes of Rumpole on PBS it was fun to read Mortimer's work for the first time. Learned a few nuances of the character that I hadn't seen in the TV portrayal.
Brian
Reliable Rumpole!
Ruth
c2003. Ahhh - this was such a sweet little book. I loved it and it was very funny in a dry, understated English sort of way. Rumpole Rules - ok!!!Recommended.
Donna
Like visiting an old friend. I'm a long time fan of Rumpole as portrayed by Leo McKern and the rest of Equity Court as well as SWMBO.
William Drysdale
Humorous short stories about a wise old criminal defense attorney who practices mainly in the Old Bailey in London.
Jim
Sep 22, 2011 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
It was OK, Rumpole shows through, it was a quick read but not one I couldn't set down.

Alasdair Peterson
Very dry and very amusing! Rumpole's curmudgeonly wit and acerbic observations are priceless.
Donna
I love Rumpole's passionate defense of the accused. A few worth bon mots in this one too.
Christopher Roden
Just re-read this. For sheer enjoyment and amusement, Rumpole takes some beating.
Peter
My buddy, Rumpole. Ah, to be as sharped witted as he (but not as heavy!)
Ron
My first Rumpole hopefully not my last, but this did not inspire..
Sam
Rumpole is very well written and consistently wry and entertaining.
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • The Most of P.G. Wodehouse
  • Miss Marple Omnibus Vol 1 (Body in the Library / Moving Finger / Murder is Announced / 4:50 from Paddington)
  • Beneath Bone Lake
  • Through a Glass, Darkly (Commissario Brunetti, #15)
  • The Alto Wore Tweed (The Liturgical Mystery #1)
  • Haircut and Other Stories
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Maigret and the Killer
  • The Shortest Way to Hades (Hilary Tamar, #2)
  • Death and the Running Patterer (Curious Murder Mystery #1)
  • A Play of Lords (Joliffe the Player, #4)
John Clifford Mortimer is a novelist, playwright and former practising barrister. Among his many publications are several volumes of Rumpole stories and a trilogy of political novels, Paradise Postponed, Titmuss Regained and The Sound of Trumpets, featuring Leslie Titmuss - a character as brilliant as Rumpole.

John Mortimer received a knighthood for his services to the arts in 1998.

Series:
Rumpole
More about John Mortimer...
Rumpole of the Bailey The First Rumpole Omnibus Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders Rumpole and the Reign of Terror Rumpole Misbehaves