Start by marking “Rumpole Rests His Case” as Want to Read:
Rumpole Rests His Case

Rumpole Rests His Case (Rumpole of the Bailey #11)

Contents:
Rumpole and the old familiar faces
Rumpole and the remembrance of things past
Rumpole and the asylum seekers
Rumpole and the Camberwell Carrot
Rumpole and the actor laddie
Rumpole and the teenage werewolf Rumpole rests his case
Published November 25th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpole Rests His Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpole Rests His Case

Damaskcat
Feb 26, 2015 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing
Horace Rumpole has an encyclopaedic memory of his old cases and inevitably he comes across people he has defended from time to time. In the first story - Rumpole and the Old Familiar Faces - two people he has come across in the past have cause to regret meeting his again. I particularly enjoyed Rumpole and the Camberwell Carrot in which Phillida Erskine-Brown finds an idol has feet of clay.

I recall reading the last story in this book when it was first published and wondering whether the last sto
Tony
Jun 28, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it
Mortimer, John. RUMPOLE RESTS HIS CASE. (2002). ****.
This is a collection of short stories featuring Rumpole and his efforts in the Old Bailey addressing contemporary problems of the day. Although Mortimer’s strength seems to better fit the novel than the short story form, these are still good reads. The difference is that Mortimer dispenses with much of the humor that we have come to expect in the Rumpole series in favor of quicker, deeper character studies. There are seven short stories in th
John Carter
Oct 20, 2012 John Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: rumpole-horace
It’s impossible not to like a Rumpole story. I got a bit of a surprise out of this collection though, because I’d just finished Rumpole and the Primrose Path and I found that the first story in that (for which the book is named) follows immediately after the last story here—again the title story. References to earlier cases are common in the Rumpole œuvre, but this is the only case I can think of offhand where the timeline of two tales is so clear and tight. I bought several Rumpoles at the same ...more
Judy
Jul 31, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
What can I say? I love Horace Rumpole. These are seven new short stories in which elderly, rumbled, overweight Horace Rumpole, with his daily glasses of Chateau Thames Embankment and small cigars, is the "great defender of muddled and sinful humanity". And that's the public Rumpole. At home, he quietly battles She Who Must Be Obeyed--his wife, Hilda. All of the familiar characters are here in these stories and all are delightful.
Doug
Mar 12, 2009 Doug rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I actually listened to this as an audio book. I've done this with two of his books -- Luckily they both had excellent readers that brought the characters to life. Wonderfully enjoyable. Plus I get to walk around hearing my thoughts in a rich british accent for the next couple of days!
Kasia James
Sep 28, 2012 Kasia James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Good solid stuff from Sir John Mortimer again - an enjoyable ramble through the back corridors of the Old Bailey. I always susepct that barristers would never really get to do so much detective work as Rumpole, but perhaps would like to.
Highly recommended.
bookczuk
Jan 12, 2009 bookczuk rated it liked it
I'm a John Mortimer, particularly a Rumpole, fan. Rumpole will forever,. in my mind, be as portrayed in the PBS production by Leo McKErn.

These were some fine stories that allowed me to revisit with old friends from Rumpole's world.
Priscilla
Jun 03, 2015 Priscilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun, even during short trips. Because the book is broken into chapters of self-contained cases, it was easy to consume during short commutes to and from work. Laughing in the car made provoked sidelong glances from other drivers. Oh, they know not what they are missing!
G B'man
Dec 07, 2014 G B'man rated it really liked it
There are very few book series that have made me want to jump in, walk the rooms, and sit down for a meal with the characters. Second only to to Hogwarts and the Weasley home in the Harry Potter series, with Rumpole is where I want to be.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Feb 16, 2012 Stuart Lutzenhiser rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I had a sneaking feeling the whole time that I had read these stories before. It is both the blessing and curse of Mortimer's writing. It is well written, enjoyable to read, memorable characters, but not really memorable plots. They are so easy to read that they don't stick too well. The one thing I got from this reading was that Mortimer lived very near where I live now and named a lot of the minor characters and places around places that are nearbly. There was a Lady Shiplake and a Lady Binfie ...more
Yvonna Graham
Sep 01, 2015 Yvonna Graham rated it really liked it
Dry British humor with depth of understanding of human nature. I enjoyed the book very much, and will certainly read more by John Mortimer.
Jessica
May 04, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, humor
I love the short format, the quick wit, and the fun methods Rumpole uses to prove his client's innocence. Always a fun read.
Theodore Kinni
Jan 20, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Mortimer is in top form in these seven cases featuring Rumpole, the funniest barrister to ever don a wig at the Old Bailey.
Joan
Mar 03, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
She who must be obeyed...you have to love the Rumpole's sense of humor
Amanda Bright
Feb 03, 2016 Amanda Bright rated it liked it
Another in the Rumpole series - always an enjoyable read.
Diane Heath
My introduction to Rumple. A series of short stories. Somewhat dry but interesting
MisterFweem
Aug 17, 2011 MisterFweem rated it it was ok
As much as I enjoy watching Leo McKern play at Rumpole of the Bailey on PBS, this book by creator John Mortimer is only tolerable. McKern adds so much to the characterization of Rumpole that it's enjoyable. Reading Mortimer's prose, however, isn't much of a pleasure. Certainly, they add a lot taking one of his short stories -- and that's pretty much what these are -- and fleshing it out into a full episode. Mortimer ought to try that with his stories as well.
Rade
Jan 24, 2014 Rade rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
most of the stories were pretty short and kind of predictable. None of them made me say "no way that guy did it." I never heard of Rumpole before and since this was the book I had at hand, I gave it a shot. Not sure if I will read other books that featured this ambitious character. The stories did not suck me in but I still powered through as I try not to give up on books very often.
Richard Thompson
Sep 13, 2010 Richard Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor
37. RUMPOLE REST HIS CASE by John Mortimer / Viking 2001 / ISBN 0-670-91085-6 / crime-humour / completed 10.09.10 / I think I must have read this before some time in the past. The titles of some of the pieces seemed very familiar. Still a fun read the second time round (if it was the second time round...)
Scott
Sep 07, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
Another delightful Rumpole book. It is like bumping into a long lost friend on the streets and after a few moments of conversation it is as if you'd never lost contact.

Mortimer brings back old familiar faces and adds a few new ones. Fans of the Rumpole series should not be disappointed.
Ilona
Jul 19, 2013 Ilona rated it really liked it
Love the writing, love the wry humour, love the stories. Rumpole is annoying, endearing, self-destructive, self-deprecating, smart, and very, very funny. My grandfather used to read Rumpole books; this is the first I've picked up, but I'll be back for more. Fun!
Heather
Apr 29, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
This was my first taste of Rumpole. Mortimer's character is delightful - he reminds me a bit of Columbo, a bit of Holmes, in the ways in which he goes about solving the crimes. This is a collection of short stories.
Jerry Casey
Aug 04, 2008 Jerry Casey rated it liked it
I'm sure if I were a retired lawyer I would find this hysterical. At this point in my life all I can think is that I'm not that codgerish. ... It was a great light read. Beach reading for a cloudy Oregon beach.
Helen
Jun 21, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
John Mortimer's "Rumpole" is always good. Rumpole is now moivng along with the times, but still enjoys his small cigar and Pomeroy's Plonk.

And I found out what a "Camberwell Carrot" was!!!
Marilou
Jul 01, 2010 Marilou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rumpole
Even though I've seen all these stories dramatized by Leo Kern, they still sounded fresh and funny. Biting British humour - brought many smiles and a chuckle out loud on many days. Love Rumpole!
Kevin
Sep 11, 2010 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: recently-read
First Rumpole book I actually read after being a fan of the series & christening the missus SWMBO. Apparently the TV series follows the books almost word for word. A nice light funny fast read.
David Hack
Having enjoyed many episodes of Rumpole on PBS it was fun to read Mortimer's work for the first time. Learned a few nuances of the character that I hadn't seen in the TV portrayal.
Brian
Jan 02, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: 29-apr-05
Reliable Rumpole!
Michael Romo
Dec 17, 2015 Michael Romo rated it it was amazing
Quite often for me it seems that nothing is such a wickedly delicious read as a book full of Rumpole short stories. Once again Mortimer delivers with style.
Ruth
Apr 27, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-modern
c2003. Ahhh - this was such a sweet little book. I loved it and it was very funny in a dry, understated English sort of way. Rumpole Rules - ok!!!Recommended.
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • Agatha Raisin The Curious Curate and The Buried Treasure
  • Young Men in Spats
  • The Silent Speaker (Nero Wolfe, #11)
  • Have I Got Views For You
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • Adaptations: From Short Story to Big Screen: 35 Great Stories That Have Inspired Great Films
  • If This is Love, I'll Take Spaghetti
  • Primeval: Extinction Event
  • Seriously Funny: The Rebel Comedians of the 1950s and 1960s
  • A Certain Justice (Adam Dalgliesh, #10)
  • Haircut and Other Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes: A Baker Street Dozen
  • British Summertime
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • Maigret and the Killer
John Clifford Mortimer is a novelist, playwright and former practising barrister. Among his many publications are several volumes of Rumpole stories and a trilogy of political novels, Paradise Postponed, Titmuss Regained and The Sound of Trumpets, featuring Leslie Titmuss - a character as brilliant as Rumpole.

John Mortimer received a knighthood for his services to the arts in 1998.

Series:
Rumpole
More about John Mortimer...

Rumpole of the Bailey (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Rumpole of the Bailey
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • Rumpole's Return
  • Rumpole for the Defence
  • Rumpole and the Golden Thread
  • Rumpole's Last Case
  • Rumpole and the Age of Miracles (Rumpole)
  • Rumpole à la Carte