The Way Things Ought to Be

The Way Things Ought to Be

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,591 ratings  ·  90 reviews
In "the hottest...nonfiction title since "Iacocca" (Time), radio and television celebrity Rush Limbaugh blasts off on all the leading issues of our day - with devastating aim. Targeting such subjects are The Imperial Congress, Anita Hill, The Social Utopians of Multiculturalism, and The Earth Is Not Fragile, this huggable, provocative conservative "with talent and loan fro...more
Published October 1st 1993 by Pocket Books (first published 1992)

Christy
Aug 17, 2007 Christy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: politics
The way things really ought to be?

No one should like Rush Limbaugh. No one should listen to him. He should not have a market. He can write all he wants; he just should not be publishable, marketable, or likeable for so many.

It really frustrates me when my students parrot Rush Limbaugh (and Ann Coulter and other more contemporary right-wing pundits as well) at me as if they're "real" ideas or new ideas. Yes, yes, "feminazi," I hear you. Rush Limbaugh came up with it. He is not a reliable source....more
Kristen
I loved this book! Rush hits the nail on the head again and again and the topics are still relevant even though the book was written back in 1992. It was thirst-quenching as always to hear his voice in contrast to the mushy, lukewarm, moral relativity crowd. This book reminded me once again why I'm a dittohead.
Ali
Since this review was written in March of this year, Limbaugh has gotten loads worse and is on a swift downward spiral of hatred and stupidity. At no time was the sentiment that I didn't know how bad Rush really was more accurate than it is now. I wrote it before the Sandra Fluke controversy and his comments, so it contains nothing about those, and if anything I am less disgusted at him than I am now. Otherwise, my feelings remain the same.

I actually have to thank Limbaugh for this book. If you...more
John
People talk so much vile crap about Rush that I almost feel like I should be wearing a HAZMAT suit when I read one of his books. Personally, I see him as being one of the most misunderstood public figures in the country. The general media has done such a good job of painting him out to be the devil incarnate that many people are immediately willing to believe the very worst about him simply out of hand. Most of the negative reviews on these kind of websites are written by people who felt they co...more
Dennis
This is the book as well as the man who really began to perk up my interests in politics. Great book for the conservative thinker as well as for those who really need to be.
Atchisson
The Godfather of modern Conservatism fires the opening literary salvos in the current political battle. Sure it's 15 years old, but it reads just as true today as then.
Mike
May 30, 2008 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is too scared to challenge their beliefs
Shelves: politics
A moment of weakness in my confused youth. Really, only someone with the mind of a 13 year old could find these arguments compelling. My excuse is that I was 13 when I read it. What's your excuse?

Updated: I should also have mentioned that the brand of "conservatism" that Rush champions is strictly of the authoritarian, "we need to stop the goddamn hippies" variety. Not the Burkean, live and let live brand of conservatism, until recently known simply as "conservatism".
Nelda
I literally felt my IQ dropping as I held this book in my hands to read it. Likewise, I felt all the peace and compassion within me ebbing away. Rush fully succeeds in hateful rhetoric and in making the reader feel agitated that anyone believes such ridiculous nonsense. Rather than read anything by this man again, I'd rather rip out my brain stem and jump rope with it in traffic.
Mark
I did not actually read this book……but if I did I am sure I would find it full of right-wing drivel that would only make sense to those with a simple mind.
Floyd
Jul 19, 2007 Floyd rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dittoheads, people who know what "dittohead" means
Thought provoking, somewhat insightful and downright hilarious at times. An entertaining look at Limbaugh's views on politics, the media, etc.
Ken
Jun 02, 2007 Ken rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trolls, or some other kind of monster
I was given it as a gag-gift. It was a ridiculous work. Easily and provably false.

It's best possible use is kindling.
Stephen
We should have freedom...for the polluters.

We should have liberty...for those who would pay us less than a minimum wage.

We should have a pursuit of happiness...for those who would take away our rights of privacy.

These are the twisted teachings of Fatty Rushbaugh. An elitist millionaire, arrested drug abuser, college dropout, draft-dodger, thrice-divorced father of none currently on wife #4.

He will absolutely burn in the next world for the lies he has told, the truth he has twisted, and the h...more
Christopher
This classic piece of American literature should be a must read for all American students. Rush presents the issues of the day and the answers to them all in a manner that is pure genius.
Holly Lindquist
Reading this book is a bit like watching the movie Troll 2. One should come prepared to encounter such vast stupidity that your brain may literally fail.
Mer
I can't believe I actually sat down once and tried to read some of this.

I'd rather bite on tin foil.
Adam
Jul 09, 2008 Adam rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who want to prove my review right.
This book is awful from start to finish. I must admit that I am a little biased considering that I am against most of Rush's politics. In addition to that, Rush is the most self absorbed narcissistic person to have ever lived. From when I first saw that smug grin I knew I would hate this book, but when I read "The only way to protect yourself from the media is to read or listen to me" that cemented this work as being my all time least favorite political book.
Jonathan Devlaeminck
This book is an amazing piece of conservative thought. If you don't agree with his views at the end of the read, that's ok...but I am and always will be mindful to understand all sides. With all that is said of him being a "racist bigoted homophobe", if you actually read this book or listen to his program, you'll learn to form your own opinion and not parrot those of media matters or msnbc. Great book.
Joshua
This was a written as only Mr. Limbaugh could write. Whether he be talking about feminazi's, the Thought Police, or Algore, Rush can put a hilarious and conservative spin on anything. This book stands along other conservative classics from the 90's such as Ronald Reagan's An American Life. This is a must read from "the man conservatives love and liberals love to hate."
Joel Brown
I read this book as an early twenty-something from the buckle of the conservative belt of America with very little life experience. My views since have gradually migrated to the center on both fiscal and social issues. Most of his arguments would be re-treads today, but he can be hillarious in their dilivery.
Gabriel
Poorly reasoned, poorly researched, and just generally annoying there's nothing here of value except to understand how demagoguery serves to replace critical thinking.
Michael
Aug 18, 2013 Michael rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dittoheads, tea partiers, the 1%
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
Shelves: politics
A few years back, I participated in a 30-day book meme, that had you write about different books you'd read. When I got to the day that asked, "what book do you wish you'd never read?" I answered with this one. My comment was: "It wasn't even extremist enough to be amusing." I'm tempted to leave it at that, so far as this review goes. I generally reserve the one-star rating for books that are so bad I couldn't even finish them, but I'm making an exception in this case, because I wouldn't have th...more
Ingame149
The Way Thing Ought to Be by Rush Limbaugh.

I found this book and his second book the other day in the used book section of a Goodwill and figured I'd give them a read since I've been listening to Rush for years and have never read his book.

What amazes me most about this book is that it was written in 1992 but many of things he was writing about then are still happening now. I mean our politicians and government are still running rapid through the country like it's some kind free shopping spree...more
Michael
I read this back in 1994, and although I don't agree with close to half of what he says within, I thought much of it was laugh out loud funny, but even funnier still are the butt-hurt folks who hate his guts and are offended by everything he says, but think it's funny when one of their kind make even more vitriolic, insulting remarks about him or someone else they deem the 'enemy'. No, even if Rush is indeed an asshole, he is far from dumb; after all, he's the one with the radio show, right? I t...more
Bryan Stevenson
I read Rush's book when I was in college and slowly growing in my political views from staunch conservative Republican to anarcho-libertarian. Rush's book is entertaining and does a good job outlining the conservative cause, although I no longer agree with many of his positions.
Grace Ferguson
Although I believe this man to be extraordinarily closed minded, and a lot of times, wrong to me, I respect him for being so open with his opinion. He does make a good point every 50 pages or so.
Cindy
Totally don't know why I bothered to read this one, but it was the last thing by him I've read. What a waste of time.
Tony Bake
I read this book in...what? 1992? I checked it out from the library right when it came out and fell in love with Rush and conservatism shortly thereafter. It was simple! And Rush pushed his agenda SO pejoratively, I felt like if I didnt agree with him, I must be stupid...I totally drank from the Kool-Aid. Only years later would I pull my head from my...well you get the picture. Conservatives are still pulling the same tricks today--Embarass people into agreeing with you. That is why all the redn...more
Jake
Up until the age of 20, when I foolishly began doing my own thinking on critical issues, I was a young Republican. And to this day, I still respect many of the ideals of Republicanism to do with fiscal discipline.

On the plus side, Rush Limbaugh is very readable and well-spoken. And any public figure who can spark an event like "Dan's Bake Sale" deserves a little credit. Still, I'm happy to say now that I didn't pay to read or listen to Mr. Limbaugh's ranting. I borrowed my Dad's copy.

And today...more
Sarah Null
People take Rush way too seriously. 90% of what he says is done so with tongue firmly in cheek. He's like the kid in fifth grade who teases you more the more you show it bothers you. I'm reading Stephen Colbert's book now and I actually see a lot of similarities with the humor. Colbert just takes it a little further toward the absurd so people recognize that it's a big joke about an issue Colbert really believes in.

I got this book signed when I went to a taping of his TV show in '96.
John Musacha
The mere fact that people are squabbling about this book over twenty years after its release attests to this book's "worth" on some level. I read this book in 1992 when Rush was all the rage. Rush's debut book was an easy read and laugh out loud funny at times. As a warning, though, this book is quite dated, with arguments and "facts" that have been totally debunked in the last twenty years or have been rendered completely irrelevant. As evidence of how dated this work is, notice that the headno...more
Republicunt 31 44 Mar 17, 2014 07:43PM
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism
  • The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life
  • The Real America: Messages from the Heart and Heartland
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Churches, Schools, and Military
  • Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • Men In Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline
  • Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us...and What to Do About It
19794
American radio host and conservative political commentator.

His nationally-syndicated talk show, The Rush Limbaugh Show, airs throughout the world on Premiere Radio Networks. He has been credited with reviving AM radio in the United States, and is considered to have been a "kind of national precinct captain" for the Republican Party's Congressional victories in 1994.

National Review magazine, in a...more
More about Rush Limbaugh...
See, I Told You So Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims Rush Revere and the First Patriots: Time-Travel Adventures With Exceptional Americans The Way Things Ought to Be / See, I Told You So Bill Clinton and Me

“The way liberals are interpreting the First Amendment today is that it prevents anyone who is religious from being in government.” 13 likes
“Militant feminists are pro‐choice because it’s their ultimate avenue of power over men. And believe me, to them it is a question of power. It is their attempt to impose their will on the rest of society, particularly on men.” 6 likes