Start by marking “On Reading” as Want to Read:
On Reading

On Reading

André Kertész (1894-1985) was one of the most inventive, influential and prolific photographers in the medium's history. This small volume, first published in 1971, became one of his signature works. Taken between 1920 and 1970, these photographs capture people reading in many parts of the world. Readers in every conceivable place -- on rooftops, in public parks, on crowde ...more
Published October 28th 1982 by Penguin Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about On Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Reading

Jessie
Feb 06, 2017 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God bless Andre Kertesz for these photographs. I found more than a few that resonated profoundly.
If you love books please seek this one out. It's well worth your time-no words for how much I love this book. Funny enough, I found it in a cardboard box of unwanted books sitting outside of my library. Fortune was on my side that day. :-)
Martyn
Feb 13, 2011 Martyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biblios, photoists, historiosos
I blush to add this to my list as the only words in the whole book appear on the jacket, but it is ABOUT reading!

Great collection of Kertesz B+W prints from across the world on the theme of reading. Mostly the shots are of people, but there are also some very clever set pieces to change the mood.

Check it out, it'll make you feel better - and not a Kindle to be seen anywhere, awesome.
Paul Secor
A treasure! No words - just dozens of wonderful André Kertész photographs of people of all ages and from all walks of life reading - in public and in the privacy of their homes, photographs of paintings showing people reading, photographs of books in homes with painted or sculpted figures looking down at the books, even a couple of photographs of animals and insects "reading" books.

Anyone who truly loves to read should have a copy of On Reading to look at and treasure.
Liz Gray
Feb 03, 2017 Liz Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautiful book was first published in 1971 and reissued in 2008. It includes photographs taken all over the world, between 1915 and 1970, of people (and a few other animals) reading in a whole range of settings. The photographs are evocative, poignant, thoughtful--all of them remind the viewer of the power of the written word to soothe, excite, and enrapture.
Lindi
Gorgeous photographs of readers and books. There are so many I could look at for years. Why isn't there a set of notecards pulled from this book? (Maybe there is -- my cursory Internet search didn't find it though.)
Art
Fifty-eight pages of black-and-white photographs of people caught in the act of reading books and newspapers from 1915 to 1970, from Paris to New York City. Fun and quick.

A meditation on reading, as mentioned by Sven Birkerts in his fine collection of essays, Changing the Subject: Essays on the Mediated Self, published fall 2015.

On Reading celebrates a bygone era. In each photograph today, the mind can easily replace many of the books and newspapers with phones and tablets, and maybe a few book
TinHouseBooks
Heather Hartley (Paris Editor, Tin House Magazine): Hungarian photographer André Kertész said that, “Seeing is not enough, you have to feel what you photograph,” and the stunning book of his black and white photographs, On Reading, attests to his sensitivity to and keen insight into his subjects: people reading in public places and sometimes private rooms. Daily life is captured in its intimacy, humanity and grit–from Paris to parks, from Tokyo to the tops of garbage bins and lots of places in b ...more
David Allen
This collects candid photos from 1915 to 1970 of people reading, usually in public, usually alone, on rooftops, park benches, front lawns and stoops, holding hardbacks, newspapers and magazines. Charming and impressive in its span of years and focus. I suppose today half the people would be on their phones or holding e-readers with quilted backs.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Probably more like 3.5. I saw the exhibit of these photos which toured around to various American museums. The impact was much better in that form, but these are still interesting to look at. The introduction has a neat story about how André Kertész would carry a pencil around and tone down the highlights of some of the photos in the first edition of this book when he was asked to sign it.
Richard
Apr 08, 2011 Richard rated it it was amazing
A small but brilliant collection of B&W photos originally published in 1971 on people from all walks of life doing nothing but reading. Each one is a stolen moment, capturing the reader lost in some book. Kertesz was little known at the time these photos were taken but received the attention due a truly great photographer following his death.
Innes
Oct 02, 2010 Innes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book but the content more than makes up for it. André Kertész is one of my all-time favourite photographers and this books showcases some of his best work. If you're into photography and into reading (aren't we all) I'm confident you'll find this book both inspiring and entertaining.
Jane
May 24, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In these eloquent photographs
Kertesz pays homage to reading-that most private
activity-as observed in public places.
Each photograph is a gentle yet passionate
celebration of readers and of the mesmerizing
powers of the written word."
Lesley Looper
Jan 28, 2009 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: other book lovers
I really enjoyed looking through the black and white photographs in the book! I especially liked the photos that included bookshelves full of books, and my favorites were of people reading in some special, tucked-away place. Charming book!
Frederic
May 13, 2014 Frederic rated it it was amazing
A wonderful little collection of 63 photographs, taken between 1928 and 1970, of people reading (and a few other closely related subjects).
Susan
Dec 06, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Photos of books and people reading. Anywhere, anytime, all over the world, One of the most relaxing books I own.
Toni Apicelli
Feb 18, 2015 Toni Apicelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these photographs. I highly recommend this book. Andre Kertesz is a master photographer who captures the quiet, contemplative mood of reading perfectly in this small book. Don't miss it.
Satish Malnaik
Sep 03, 2012 Satish Malnaik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great photo book for a laid back thoughtful evening browsing through classic images that bring about the power of intimate pictures that share your love of books and reading.
Tawny
Feb 26, 2009 Tawny rated it really liked it
Shelves: pictures
Very cool! Contains black and white photos of a variety of people reading in every place and situation imaginable.
Janice Wilson Stridick
Janice Wilson Stridick rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2013
CasiIgual Da
CasiIgual Da rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Cyrus
Cyrus rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Marie Williams
Marie Williams rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Dominika Mackiewicz
Dominika Mackiewicz rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Stuart
Stuart rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Sheena
Sheena rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2011
Whitney
Whitney rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Tommi
Tommi rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2012
Elisa
Elisa rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Ade
Ade rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Christiane
Christiane rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2011
  • A Book Addict's Treasury
  • Corto viaggio sentimentale
  • Mad Travellers: Reflections on the Reality of Transient Mental Illnesses
  • Recordações do Escrivão Isaías Caminha
  • The Commissar Vanishes:  The Falsification of Photographs and Art in Stalin's Russia
  • Rester vivant: et autres textes
  • Ideology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Theory & Practice of Gamesmanship
  • Epic Fail: Bad Art, Viral Fame, and the History of the Worst Thing Ever
  • Seven Men
  • My Unwritten Books
André Kertész (French: [kɛʁtɛs]; 2 July 1894 – 28 September 1985), born Kertész Andor, was a Hungarian-born photographer known for his groundbreaking contributions to photographic composition and the photo essay. In the early years of his career, his then-unorthodox camera angles and style prevented his work from gaining wider recognition. Kertész never felt that he had gained the worldwide recogn ...more
More about André Kertész...