The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  7,428 ratings  ·  91 reviews
To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide. The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in...more
Published September 16th 2002 by Warne (first published 1905)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
283rd out of 2,973 books — 5,561 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisMatilda by Roald DahlThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Children's Books I'll Re-Read No Matter How Old I Am
201st out of 1,374 books — 2,451 voters

More lists with this book...

GoldGato
"Three handkins and a pinny"!

When Lucie loses her handkins (I don't think this word is even in the OED), she starts the search around the environs of Little Town to find them. She ends up discovering the cozy abode of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a very clean hedgehog in the process of washing her whites in the washing basin. As it turns out, Tiggywinkle is the village laundress, an expert in washing, starching, and ironing.

Tea is made, which I always feel is the best part, as it means I must also have my...more
Manny

Kids who've grown up learning to blow their noses in disposable tissues just won't get this book. It's tragic.
Prashant
This was beautiful and it had everything. A sweet girl, an innocent Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and the search for a missing handkerchief.

The story can be a dream or reality but it sure is something !
Shanna Gonzalez
This is the story of a little girl named Lucie, who has a habit of losing her pocket-handkerchiefs. When she goes in search of some, she finds a magical door into a hill. Inside there is a little woman covered in prickles who washes clothes for all the animals featured in Beatrix Potter's books: a scarlet waist-coat for Cock Robin, a tablecloth for Jenny Wren, a red handkerchief for Mrs. Rabbit, a pair of stockings for Sally Henny-Penny; and three pocket-handkerchiefs and a pinny for young Lucie...more
Jamie Winslow
This was a story about a young girl named Lucie who lost her 3 pocket handkins and her pinny. She was out looking for them and asking the local animals if they had seen her pocket handkins and her pinny but none of them had. She had wandered away from her town of Little-town which was down the hill and came across some foot steps that she started to follow. They let her to a little house and she heard singing. She went to the door and knocked. When she entered the house she met a washer woman wh...more
Somerandom
I was going to give this one star, but I can't bear to give Miss Potter lower than 3. It just seems cruel, somehow. Like she'd somehow disapprove or it might make her sad. (Sorry, Miss Potter!)

This book was actually not well received when it was released. Whilst Miss Potter is an adept painter of animals, her humans were less than appealing.

That aside, this is still one of Miss Potter's tale and as such has cute charming characters and is all around a warm children's novel.

It just seems a bit bo...more
Jeremy
Dec 25, 2012 Jeremy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I must say I was less excited about this story, although prior to reading I expected to really like this one. Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle seemed like a very charming character. She is, really, but her tale was rather boring.

From the beginning I had difficulty believing that someone would be so motivated to find his or her handkerchiefs. Let alone that a child would care about them.
Having said that, I was happy to just 'go with it'. However, the story that followed was boring. They kept going on about al...more
Brooke
I love the Beatrix Potter tales, so when I decided to dive into this one, I was quite excited. It was cute, but not much more than that. The reason behind writing it was a bit lost on me; as to say I did not quite understand the point. It was quite fun to read about other characters (something that would have been lost on other readers that had not had the pleasure of previously reading Beatrix Potter). The pictures were quite delightful and were what really, for me, warranted four stars. I thin...more
Jill
My favorite Beatrix Potter book yet. I love Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and all her laundry skills. I don't really care for Peter Rabbit (himself) but I could read Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's story many, many times.
babyhippoface
A little girl named Lucie goes out looking for her lost handkerchiefs and finds Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a hedgehog who happily takes care of the mending and ironing for her woodland friends.

Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's tale is a more difficult read than Peter Rabbit's or Squirrel Nutkin's. Here Beatrix Potter included some language that, I'm sure, was common 100 years ago, but no longer is today. Some words I feel pretty sure our kids today wouldn't understand: handkin (handkerchief), pinny (pinafore--which...more
Melanie
When little Lucie realizes that she's missing several items from her pockets she wanders off to search for them. She encounters several different animals all busy with their own lives but no one has seen her missing items. Eventually she encounters a little den in a tree. Inside is a strange woman named Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle doing laundry. Lucie discovers all of her missing items have been washed and ironed. She spendes the afternoon with Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and helps her with her chores.

In the end Lu...more
Neville Ridley-smith
My kids (14, 11, 9) & I are reading through the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. On to book 6.

This was a nice enough story but a bit ho-hum. The 14 year old complained of too many old-worlde words.

There was however an OMG moment where all our jaws dropped right at the end. The hill in the story is Cat Bells and we climbed that hill when we were in the Lake District 4 months ago! And what's more, there's a photo of us looking down at Little-town!

Nice reference to previous characters as well....more
Else
One of my favorites! Maybe because I like doing laundry, too. And I need a pinny. :)
Annie
Apr 26, 2012 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Annie by: my mother
I love hedgehogs! They are very cute, yet prickly, like me.
Sadly in the state of California we are not allowed to have them as pets. Darn environmentalists and non native species laws. I'll have to make do with my puppet and my dreams of traveling to Finland to see them in the wild.
This is the book that instigated my love for hedgehogs. My mother tells me I made her read it everyday as a very young child, and one day I very cutely said, as she read the title, "her doesn't have a tail." ha ha...more
Fox
Beautiful, beautiful story.

I tip my hat to Beatrix Potter for managing to perfectly capture the benign and industrious nature of the hedgehog and turn the humble insectivore into a cultural landmark for us all to love and cherish.
Reenie
The adorableness of this might just be rivalled by its weirdness, but both are awesome. It's really quite surreal - more so than many of the other Potter tales - when you think about it... five year old girl goes on weird trip and meets a hedgehog in clothes doing laundry, both for her and for many other little animals - and then wonders if it were all a dream...

Weird... but as mentioned above, awesome.
Jane G Meyer
I love all the Beatrix Potter books, for the sweet illustrations and the fun use of language. This is one of my favorite Beatrix Potter books. I would absolutely adore to have a Mrs. Tiggywinkle living in the hills above my home, her bucket in a little stream, and to have a cup of tea with her in front of her fire... It just sounds so delicious!
jacky
I struggled with whether to give this one 2 or 3 stars. I found this story a bit boring; nothing much happened. But, I thought it was fun to see the clothes of the characters we'd already met in the other Potter books, particularly Mrs. Bunny's onion scented handkerchief. Mrs. Tiggy Winkle herself was also pretty cute.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Firstly, I hate little Lucie, she's annoying and stupid. Also, drawn pretty crappily. Secondly, do the animals take off their skin? It was all around odd and didn't work with the animal/human interaction. Though it was the first mention of characters in other books, so, the books are becoming more interlinked.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Helen
This was my very first book. The teacher at my kindy in Ilford gave me the old copy as they had replaced the one at Kindy and she knew I was already reading. Totally wondrous in my young eyes and started my love of books along with Wind in the Willows. I always knew that animals could talk you see....
Lesley
This is a delightful story about little Lucie's search for her hankies. She asks several other animals before she spends time with the cute Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle! One of the delights of this story is the appearance of several other famous Beatrix Potter characters. Love the illustrations, too!
Steph
This is another one of Potter's beloved tales. I liked how it actually involved a human conversing with an animal for the first time. The sweet little child wanted to thank Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle for what she did, but she quickly disappeared. Many believe her to have imagined it...or did she?
Kim
As a kid with a large imagination and the ability to loose absolutely everything, I think I would have really enjoyed this book of Lucie and the hedgehog. The pics were very enjoyable.
Annet
I like to start te year with a few Beatrix Potter stories....
I love the drawings of Beatrix Potter, also of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, as well as the small cute stories. There are other Batrix Potter stories that I liked just a bit better, so 3 stars.
Melissa
Simple story that I could imagine my grandmother reading to me, making it all the more enjoyable.

Wouldn't recommend this for the Kindle. No pictures makes for less engaging reading when it comes to children's literature such as this.
Kirsti
Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle was a charming, though rather uneventful, half-mystery that was solved by Beatrix Potter's delightful-as-usual illustrations long before the text caught up. The tale was cute and sweet, but not my favorite.
Jackie
The best of the best! Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is a classic and you would be doing a horrific injustice if you do not read this to children. Hedgehogs are lovely! :)
Elizabeth
Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is bit of a prude.
However, the illustrations are quite charming.
  • When We Were Very Young
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • Madeline and the Gypsies
  • Dogger
  • James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small
  • Babar and His Children
  • Peace At Last
  • Gorilla
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan...more
More about Beatrix Potter...
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Benjamin Bunny The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher