Start by marking “The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  12,479 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-winkle is an original classic by Beatrix Potter.

The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-winkle was first published in 1905, and is as charming today as it was then. It tells the tale of a hidden home high in the hills. It is discovered one day by a little girl called Lucie, who is in search of her missing pocket handkerchiefs. She knocks on the tiny door, and meets Mrs
Published March 7th 2002 by Warne (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
280th out of 3,470 books — 6,564 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMatilda by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Children's Books I'll Re-Read No Matter How Old I Am
228th out of 2,009 books — 3,040 voters

More lists with this book...

Traveller
Sep 21, 2015 Traveller rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, illustrated
Miss Tiggy-Winkle is a very industrious hedgehog.
She is also very sociable. ;)

She is also kind.

Replete with lovely illustrations, Beatrix Potter brings the hedges and hedgerows to anthropomorphic life.
Jean
The name of Beatrix Potter is familiar and loved the world over. She is famous for her delightful children's books about woodland animals, who are, of course, little people in disguise, as they wear clothes and behave exactly as their human counterparts would. The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle is the sixth in a series, and features one of her most delightful characters, a hedgehog washerwoman.

Before these whimsical stories ever came to light, Beatrix Potter had been a respected watercolourist, illust
Manny
Mar 19, 2009 Manny rated it liked it

Kids who've grown up learning to blow their noses in disposable tissues just won't get this book. It's tragic.
Vaishali Joglekar
Jul 08, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, art
Such charmingly beautiful illustrations by the very talented and legendary Beatrix Potter. I almost squealed when Peter Rabbit appeared :) All in all, a sweet freshly-baked cupcake that warms the human heart ... but ends in a mystery too.
Emma
Aug 06, 2016 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: childrns
Read this with my nephew this evening...I never really did dig Beatrix Potter and I still don't apparently!
Lauren
Nov 17, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite childhood Beatrix Potter story! Reread it for #readkidslit.
GoldGato
"Three handkins and a pinny"!

When Lucie loses her handkins (I don't think this word is even in the OED), she starts the search around the environs of Little Town to find them. She ends up discovering the cozy abode of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a very clean hedgehog in the process of washing her whites in the washing basin. As it turns out, Tiggywinkle is the village laundress, an expert in washing, starching, and ironing.

Tea is made, which I always feel is the best part, as it means I must also have my
Katherine
Dec 05, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my 4 year old granddaughter's favorite books. It's such fun to read the charming story while she lifts each flap that reveals the hidden item and the last words for each page. When she visits I encourage new books and she typically enjoys them but she always requests this one--sometimes twice (or more). Nothing beats a favorite book, at any age.
Susan
May 12, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, children
A classic ~ as are all of the books by Beatrix Potter!
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
This book answers the all-important questions in the mind of children in 1905: who does the laundry? And what laundry do other creatures have?

Informative introduction to the career of laundress, suitable for human and hedgehog readers alike.

I bought it.
B-zee
May 10, 2014 B-zee rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
4.5 bintang.

Petualangan seorang gadis (manusia) bernama Lucie, mencari sapu tangannya yang (selalu) hilang. Saya suka gambar dan deskripsi saat Lucie menaiki bukit, pemandangannya indah. Kemudian saat Lucie bertemu Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, buku ini memperkenalkan beberapa macam jenis pakaian. Cara yang asyik untuk belajar bagi anak-anak yang sudah mulai bosan dengan buku bergambar biasa (tanpa cerita).

Kalimat-kalimat Lucie, dialognya dengan hewan-hewan dan Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle sangat manis. Di sini juga
Maria Eleynita
Nov 19, 2014 Maria Eleynita rated it liked it
So Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is a hedgehog. A hedgehog doing and ironing the laudry for everyone haha very cool! Oh Lucie, always losing her hankerchiefs! Good thing there is Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle to help.
Prashant
Mar 30, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
This was beautiful and it had everything. A sweet girl, an innocent Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and the search for a missing handkerchief.

The story can be a dream or reality but it sure is something !
Shiloh
May 13, 2015 Shiloh rated it it was amazing
I have never read many of Beatrix Potter's books. Only Peter Rabbit. So when I came across this little book at Goodwill, I had to buy and read it. I think that many adults forget the simplicity of life, and this makes them very unhappy. I try to always remember how to look at life, by reading the books that I would have read as a child. It unloads my mind and heart of all the worries of the adult world. It is stories like this that fan the hidden flame of childhood, and renew happiness in my sou ...more
Linda
Jun 14, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Sadly this book is becoming dated and most little girls would not even go out with a handkerchief. Some may not even know what they are. However, the adorable pictures make it worth including. The story of a little girl meeting a strange washerwoman is precious and I love how the other stories characters wash are included in this story. Read to young children just for the relationship between Lucy and Mrs. Tiggy- Winkle. Who wouldn't want their clothing found and cleaned! Consider using in the e ...more
Dione Basseri
Now, this Potter story just feels weird. Taken on its own, it's just a story of a young girl befriending a woodland creature and somehow failing utterly at noticing the woman is a wild animal. But, in the context of the other Potter stories, it feels...well, like a plot hole. While animals and humans have both appeared in this world, it has always felt like they're on two different plains of sentience. The humans feel and the animals feel, but their feelings and awareness can not cross, except t ...more
Jonathan
Jun 20, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Another sad tale of loss and redemption from the queen of heartbreak, but this is not for the faint of heart. Lucie finds that she has lost a fair number of handkerchiefs and a pinafore, and so sets off on a long, gruelling journey to recover her missing items. At long last she comes across a small house wherein resides a prickly old woman (the titular Mrs Tiggy-Winkle, who has presumably had a downfall in life, as not everyone had a hyphenated name in the early 1900's), who has been reduced to ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Jun 12, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-04-08
This is the story of a little girl named Lucie, who has a habit of losing her pocket-handkerchiefs. When she goes in search of some, she finds a magical door into a hill. Inside there is a little woman covered in prickles who washes clothes for all the animals featured in Beatrix Potter's books: a scarlet waist-coat for Cock Robin, a tablecloth for Jenny Wren, a red handkerchief for Mrs. Rabbit, a pair of stockings for Sally Henny-Penny; and three pocket-handkerchiefs and a pinny for young Lucie ...more
Jamie Winslow
Sep 19, 2010 Jamie Winslow rated it liked it
This was a story about a young girl named Lucie who lost her 3 pocket handkins and her pinny. She was out looking for them and asking the local animals if they had seen her pocket handkins and her pinny but none of them had. She had wandered away from her town of Little-town which was down the hill and came across some foot steps that she started to follow. They let her to a little house and she heard singing. She went to the door and knocked. When she entered the house she met a washer woman wh ...more
Shannon
Mar 22, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
We all loved this one. From the name to her illustrations, Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is too cute! What's not to love about a hedgehog who does your laundry... and so well at that. The boys love references to other Beatrix Potter stories: the onion-scented red handkerchief in which Peter and Benjamin collected onions, Squirrel Nutkin loosing his tail, etc. I get the biggest kick out of the suggestion that sheep can take off their wooly coats like a garment.
Elliot Hyland
Dec 25, 2012 Elliot Hyland rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I must say I was less excited about this story, although prior to reading I expected to really like this one. Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle seemed like a very charming character. She is, really, but her tale was rather boring.

From the beginning I had difficulty believing that someone would be so motivated to find his or her handkerchiefs. Let alone that a child would care about them.
Having said that, I was happy to just 'go with it'. However, the story that followed was boring. They kept going on about al
Gail
Well, if you are curious as to what has happened next in the adventures of Peter Rabbit's blue jacket and red handkerchief, this is the book for you. No wonder Peter Rabbit's mum has lots of time to sell rabbit tobacco. Mrs Tiggy Winkle does all her laundry for her. In fact she does everyone's laundry, clearly taking it secretly without informing anyone, as poor Lucie had no idea what had happened to her pocket handkerchiefs.
Natasha
Jan 01, 2015 Natasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Poor Lucie had lost her hankies, and while searching for them discovers Mrs Tiggy-Winkle's house. Mrs Tiggy-Winkle (a hedgehog) seems to be running some kind of animal launderette, although I'm not sure how she got Lucie's hankies.

These Beatrix Potter stories are quite sweet (some of them anyway!) but I think without the illustrations I'd only be giving them 2 or 3 stars because they really made the story.
Audryaunna
Mar 09, 2016 Audryaunna rated it really liked it
This a wonderful story of Lucie who has lost three pocket hankins and her pinny. She asked all of the animals if they had seen them, but no one had. She continues to search for her belongings she comes upon a home with and asks the lady if she has seen her handkins and pinny without an answer form the lady she found the belongings in the basket. The washerwoman cleaned Lucie's items and had tea.

Sarah Crawford
Jan 26, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is another in the Beatrix Potter series of books, with a copyright date of 1905 and color illustrations.

This is a delightful story about a human girl who keeps losing her handkerchiefs. She tries to find some and finds a door to a very small house. Inside the house is Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a hedgehog who does washing for the other animals. She has the girl's hankies.

This is a nice, cute story with no darker meanings or implications.
Jazz
May 16, 2014 Jazz rated it liked it
Potter seems to have had a lot of fun with this one. In earlier books, she hints that all of the animal stories are true, but at the end of this story she explicitly tells readers show has been to the small door in the hill and knows Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle. It is a gem for readers young enough to still believe the world works this way.
Mirjam
Sep 24, 2015 Mirjam rated it liked it
Not the most exciting of stories and the illustrations are best when there are no human characters involved. Somehow the animals convey emotions a lot better than the humans. The latter seem two dimensional and rather bland. The animals are very well captured though.
Barbara
Mar 19, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
another lovely Beatrix Potter story about a little girl who goes looking for her pocket handkins and pinny to find them being washed by Mrs. Twiggy Winkle. I like that it throws in other stores by Beatrix. another lovely book with sweet pictures
Brooke
Mar 10, 2013 Brooke rated it really liked it
I love the Beatrix Potter tales, so when I decided to dive into this one, I was quite excited. It was cute, but not much more than that. The reason behind writing it was a bit lost on me; as to say I did not quite understand the point. It was quite fun to read about other characters (something that would have been lost on other readers that had not had the pleasure of previously reading Beatrix Potter). The pictures were quite delightful and were what really, for me, warranted four stars. I thin ...more
Isaiah Vianese
Apr 23, 2016 Isaiah Vianese rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of Potter's excellent children's books. Mrs Tiggy-Winkle is an interesting, sweet presence in the book, and the journey to her home has a sense of fantasy and adventure, while also being understated.
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • Winter Story
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • What Katy Did Next (Carr Family, #3)
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit