Start by marking “The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  10,913 ratings  ·  117 reviews
The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-winkle is an original classic by Beatrix Potter. The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-winkle was first published in 1905, and is as charming today as it was then. It tells the tale of a hidden home high in the hills. It is discovered one day by a little girl called Lucie, who is in search of her missing pocket handkerchiefs. She knocks on the tiny door, and meets Mr ...more
Published September 16th 2002 by Warne (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
285th out of 3,222 books — 6,338 voters
First Term at Malory Towers by Enid BlytonUpper Fourth at Malory Towers by Enid BlytonIn the Fifth at Malory Towers by Enid BlytonFledgling by Mark A. CooperSecond Form at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton
Shunned by adults, Smashing good YA books
94th out of 230 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean
The name of Beatrix Potter is familiar and loved the world over. She is famous for her delightful children's books about woodland animals, who are, of course, little people in disguise, as they wear clothes and behave exactly as their human counterparts would. The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle is the sixth in a series, and features one of her most delightful characters, a hedgehog washerwoman.

Before these whimsical stories ever came to light, Beatrix Potter had been a respected watercolourist, illust
Manny

Kids who've grown up learning to blow their noses in disposable tissues just won't get this book. It's tragic.
GoldGato
"Three handkins and a pinny"!

When Lucie loses her handkins (I don't think this word is even in the OED), she starts the search around the environs of Little Town to find them. She ends up discovering the cozy abode of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a very clean hedgehog in the process of washing her whites in the washing basin. As it turns out, Tiggywinkle is the village laundress, an expert in washing, starching, and ironing.

Tea is made, which I always feel is the best part, as it means I must also have my
Kaethe
This book answers the all-important questions in the mind of children in 1905: who does the laundry? And what laundry do other creatures have?

Informative introduction to the career of laundress, suitable for human and hedgehog readers alike.

I bought it.
B-zee
4.5 bintang.

Petualangan seorang gadis (manusia) bernama Lucie, mencari sapu tangannya yang (selalu) hilang. Saya suka gambar dan deskripsi saat Lucie menaiki bukit, pemandangannya indah. Kemudian saat Lucie bertemu Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, buku ini memperkenalkan beberapa macam jenis pakaian. Cara yang asyik untuk belajar bagi anak-anak yang sudah mulai bosan dengan buku bergambar biasa (tanpa cerita).

Kalimat-kalimat Lucie, dialognya dengan hewan-hewan dan Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle sangat manis. Di sini juga
Elaine
So Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is a hedgehog. A hedgehog doing and ironing the laudry for everyone haha very cool! Oh Lucie, always losing her hankerchiefs! Good thing there is Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle to help.
Prashant
This was beautiful and it had everything. A sweet girl, an innocent Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and the search for a missing handkerchief.

The story can be a dream or reality but it sure is something !
Shiloh
I have never read many of Beatrix Potter's books. Only Peter Rabbit. So when I came across this little book at Goodwill, I had to buy and read it. I think that many adults forget the simplicity of life, and this makes them very unhappy. I try to always remember how to look at life, by reading the books that I would have read as a child. It unloads my mind and heart of all the worries of the adult world. It is stories like this that fan the hidden flame of childhood, and renew happiness in my sou ...more
Jonathan
Another sad tale of loss and redemption from the queen of heartbreak, but this is not for the faint of heart. Lucie finds that she has lost a fair number of handkerchiefs and a pinafore, and so sets off on a long, gruelling journey to recover her missing items. At long last she comes across a small house wherein resides a prickly old woman (the titular Mrs Tiggy-Winkle, who has presumably had a downfall in life, as not everyone had a hyphenated name in the early 1900's), who has been reduced to ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
This is the story of a little girl named Lucie, who has a habit of losing her pocket-handkerchiefs. When she goes in search of some, she finds a magical door into a hill. Inside there is a little woman covered in prickles who washes clothes for all the animals featured in Beatrix Potter's books: a scarlet waist-coat for Cock Robin, a tablecloth for Jenny Wren, a red handkerchief for Mrs. Rabbit, a pair of stockings for Sally Henny-Penny; and three pocket-handkerchiefs and a pinny for young Lucie ...more
Jamie Winslow
This was a story about a young girl named Lucie who lost her 3 pocket handkins and her pinny. She was out looking for them and asking the local animals if they had seen her pocket handkins and her pinny but none of them had. She had wandered away from her town of Little-town which was down the hill and came across some foot steps that she started to follow. They let her to a little house and she heard singing. She went to the door and knocked. When she entered the house she met a washer woman wh ...more
Somerandom
I was going to give this one star, but I can't bear to give Miss Potter lower than 3. It just seems cruel, somehow. Like she'd somehow disapprove or it might make her sad. (Sorry, Miss Potter!)

This book was actually not well received when it was released. Whilst Miss Potter is an adept painter of animals, her humans were less than appealing.

That aside, this is still one of Miss Potter's tale and as such has cute charming characters and is all around a warm children's novel.

It just seems a bit bo
Jeremy (Inklingstime)
I must say I was less excited about this story, although prior to reading I expected to really like this one. Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle seemed like a very charming character. She is, really, but her tale was rather boring.

From the beginning I had difficulty believing that someone would be so motivated to find his or her handkerchiefs. Let alone that a child would care about them.
Having said that, I was happy to just 'go with it'. However, the story that followed was boring. They kept going on about al
Gail
Well, if you are curious as to what has happened next in the adventures of Peter Rabbit's blue jacket and red handkerchief, this is the book for you. No wonder Peter Rabbit's mum has lots of time to sell rabbit tobacco. Mrs Tiggy Winkle does all her laundry for her. In fact she does everyone's laundry, clearly taking it secretly without informing anyone, as poor Lucie had no idea what had happened to her pocket handkerchiefs.
Natasha
Poor Lucie had lost her hankies, and while searching for them discovers Mrs Tiggy-Winkle's house. Mrs Tiggy-Winkle (a hedgehog) seems to be running some kind of animal launderette, although I'm not sure how she got Lucie's hankies.

These Beatrix Potter stories are quite sweet (some of them anyway!) but I think without the illustrations I'd only be giving them 2 or 3 stars because they really made the story.
Fi♥Moon♥Love
Mar 23, 2015 Fi♥Moon♥Love rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Children
The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is short and warm-hearted.

Lucie (based on a person Beatrix Potter knew) lost all her handkins (handkerchiefs) and is looking for them.. until she founds them in the most peculiar place!
Jazz
Potter seems to have had a lot of fun with this one. In earlier books, she hints that all of the animal stories are true, but at the end of this story she explicitly tells readers show has been to the small door in the hill and knows Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle. It is a gem for readers young enough to still believe the world works this way.
Barbara
another lovely Beatrix Potter story about a little girl who goes looking for her pocket handkins and pinny to find them being washed by Mrs. Twiggy Winkle. I like that it throws in other stores by Beatrix. another lovely book with sweet pictures
Brooke
I love the Beatrix Potter tales, so when I decided to dive into this one, I was quite excited. It was cute, but not much more than that. The reason behind writing it was a bit lost on me; as to say I did not quite understand the point. It was quite fun to read about other characters (something that would have been lost on other readers that had not had the pleasure of previously reading Beatrix Potter). The pictures were quite delightful and were what really, for me, warranted four stars. I thin ...more
Jill
My favorite Beatrix Potter book yet. I love Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and all her laundry skills. I don't really care for Peter Rabbit (himself) but I could read Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's story many, many times.
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
babyhippoface
A little girl named Lucie goes out looking for her lost handkerchiefs and finds Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a hedgehog who happily takes care of the mending and ironing for her woodland friends.

Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's tale is a more difficult read than Peter Rabbit's or Squirrel Nutkin's. Here Beatrix Potter included some language that, I'm sure, was common 100 years ago, but no longer is today. Some words I feel pretty sure our kids today wouldn't understand: handkin (handkerchief), pinny (pinafore--which
Allison P
I mostly gave this five stars because we love the art. Her stories are so wordy. But what else would they be? She was English. Love her and her gentle, clever stories.
Melanie
When little Lucie realizes that she's missing several items from her pockets she wanders off to search for them. She encounters several different animals all busy with their own lives but no one has seen her missing items. Eventually she encounters a little den in a tree. Inside is a strange woman named Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle doing laundry. Lucie discovers all of her missing items have been washed and ironed. She spendes the afternoon with Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and helps her with her chores.

In the end Lu
Diane
Read this for our book/movie combo. I'm glad I read it because the hedgehog was really hard to understand in the movie.
Susan
This is a strange little story but it was still one of my favourites of Potter's while I was growing up.
Aisyah Nassim
Oct 11, 2014 Aisyah Nassim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lubna nassim
Recommended to Aisyah by: sobia wasi
Shelves: classic
soooooo good i love classics books such a good memory to me i definitely recommend this book
Kathryn
Was she real or just a dream Lucie had? Either way Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle was a busy little hedgehog doing the laundry and ironing for all her forest friends...
Neville Ridley-smith
My kids (14, 11, 9) & I are reading through the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. On to book 6.

This was a nice enough story but a bit ho-hum. The 14 year old complained of too many old-worlde words.

There was however an OMG moment where all our jaws dropped right at the end. The hill in the story is Cat Bells and we climbed that hill when we were in the Lake District 4 months ago! And what's more, there's a photo of us looking down at Little-town!

Nice reference to previous characters as well.
Else
One of my favorites! Maybe because I like doing laundry, too. And I need a pinny. :)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • Winter Story
  • The Snowman
  • Old Bear
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Betsy Was a Junior (Betsy-Tacy, #7)
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • Peek-a-Boo
  • Just So Stories
  • Babar and His Children
  • Oh Say Can You Say?
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • Smudge, The Little Lost Lamb
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Benjamin Bunny The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher