Start by marking “Treasures of the Snow” as Want to Read:
Treasures of the Snow

Treasures of the Snow

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,436 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
A story of vicious revenge and hard repentance

Annette and Lucien are enemies. After Annette gets Lucien into trouble at school, he decides to get back at her by threatening the most precious thing in the world to her: her little brother Dani. But tragedy strikes. Annette is so filled with rage thatshe sets out to alienate and humiliate Lucien at every turn. As Lucien seeks
Published July 1st 2001 by Moody Publishers (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Treasures of the Snow, please sign up.

Karen I read that is was written for ages 8 and up. I read this book to my children when they were in the upper elementary grades and we all enjoyed it.…moreI read that is was written for ages 8 and up. I read this book to my children when they were in the upper elementary grades and we all enjoyed it. Patricia St. John is one of those authors that tells stories that people of all ages will enjoy. (less)

Natalie Vellacott
Mar 21, 2016 Natalie Vellacott rated it really liked it
I love this Christian book that I read as a child and re-read recently. Annette decides that she will never forgive Lucien for hurting her brother Dani. And so she begins a revenge campaign involving many other people in their small community. But her hatred consumes her and she ends up hating herself for what she has become. This is an account of the power of forgiveness even when it seems impossible.

Recommended for children and teenagers.
Keren
This book has 26 chapters and is the perfect Christmas book. My family read this out loud as every December. Starting on December first, my mother would read one chapter aloud to us every night. After we opened presents on Christmas day, we would lie around listening to the end of the story. Even though my brothers and I knew the story inside and out, it's description of sin and forgiveness, and the loving grace of God was still beautiful every time. I can remember my mom starting to cry (every ...more
Jennifer Trzeciak
Nov 12, 2015 Jennifer Trzeciak rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We had some wonderful discussions as a family after we finished on what a life belonging to Christ looks like. Such an excellent book, and I already can't wait to read this one again once my littlest kiddos get a bit older.
Amy
Jun 21, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, religious, 2011
I wish this book was easier to come by. Although it's had some relatively recent printings ("relative" meaning in the last 15-20 years), I know it will never be a popular book. With it's decidedly Christian agenda, I'm sure it's far too preachy for the general public. At times, it was a bit sermon heavy for me, too, but really, the story was good enough that I could endure a bit of sermonizing.

Within the plot are three stories/layers of forgiveness: the girl who smashes the boy's horse in an act
Dave Milbrandt
Jul 24, 2014 Dave Milbrandt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book as a child and wanted to re-read it as an adult to remind myself why it was so wonderful back then. To be fair, as an adult reader and now a novelist, I can tell you its simple structure and straightforward message is woefully out of place in today's modern world of ambiguity and flawed anti-heroes.

That having been said, that I think is the charm of the book. It is a reminder of a world that was more innocent and simpler. The book believes redemption is better than reveng
ladydusk
Nov 19, 2013 ladydusk rated it really liked it
Own. Sister recorded as audio-book for the children.

We enjoyed listening to this book as a family. Please excuse any errors I make in spelling names.

The story of Lucien, Annette, and Danny was compelling and well told. The thoughts and motives of the children were explored in depth and clear. The obvious sin of Lucien; the not-as-obvious, easy to ignore sin of Annette; and Danny's selfishness were delved into, rooted out, and exposed to the light of the work of Christ.

The story, itself, had a p
Christina Pilkington
Jan 10, 2014 Christina Pilkington rated it it was amazing
I had listened to this on audio book when I was about 7 or 8 year olds. I still remember being sucked into the story, drawn into this beautiful world, and feeling like I was a part of it. It was magical.

When I bought this book to read to my own kids this past month, I was a little afraid it wouldn't live up to that same magical quality I imagined the book held. Lots of other books I've read when I was a small child just aren't the same when I read them as an adult- they've lost all their magic.
Rachel
Jun 24, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, religion
When we want to illuminate a dark room, we do not try to chase away the darkness before letting in the light. We simply open the window, and the light comes in. And when the light comes in, the darkness disappears. In the same way, we should not try to cast out the fear and anger in our hearts by sheer will and before we accept love and forgiveness. "Perfect love casts out fear." That is what I learned from this book.
It is a beautiful and convincing story, and it means a great deal to me.
Anna
Feb 13, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A wonderful read-aloud with the kids. Patricia St. John shows us the darkness that resides in even children's hearts and the power of Christ's love to drive out that darkness and bring forgiveness and reconciliation. Do be aware that the current in-print edition of this book has been "adapted" (i.e. dumbed down), so search out an older used edition. There was no need to tamper with this well-written story - even my five-year-old enjoyed it.
Maddy Churchhouse
Jan 09, 2014 Maddy Churchhouse rated it did not like it
I have strong memories of disliking this book as a child, largely due to its utterly vile heroine. I spent the entire book with an almost uncontrollable desire to give Annette a massive slap for essentially doing all she can to ruin Lucien's life.

Unfortunately, my hatred for her made it impossible for me to enjoy the book and so I fail to remember what merits (if any) it actually has.
Brenda Cameron
Feb 25, 2015 Brenda Cameron rated it really liked it
We read this as a family and all enjoyed it. My only serious complaint are the few spots they author teaches kids that God promises to always protect them and never let anything bad happen to them. That is totally unBiblical. It did provide a chance for us to stop the reading and talk about that issue, which is good.
Jurgen
Feb 10, 2013 Jurgen rated it it was amazing
I just read this again to my daughter. I read it twice when I was in middle school.
Charming story with very strong, albeit the controversial JudeoChristian value system (nothing wrong with that!).
Krista
Nov 20, 2016 Krista rated it it was amazing
This is a great family read aloud about anger, revenge, and the power of God's love.
Bettie Gross
Oct 20, 2016 Bettie Gross rated it really liked it
This is a book that is required reading in our program. The kids loved it and so did I
Cristina
Nov 26, 2016 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book about the power of forgiveness and finding Christ. The tag line of "a story of vicious revenge and hard repentance" doesn't quite fit, in my opinion. The author never sees her characters' revenge as vicious, but rather as acts of ignorance and misfortune. She portrays everyone with a lot of compassion and understanding, her writing style flows beautifully and is captivating. The repentance comes as a freeing realization for one's wrongs, rather than a hard, forced feeling. ...more
Rayna
Dec 20, 2015 Rayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a childhood favourite I never forgot about. I found it again the other day after what must be more than 15 years now, and sat down to reread. This book changed me. I remember reading it for the first time as an earnest little Christian girl and how it impacted my own feelings about forgiveness and what it means for people like me. My beliefs on that matter are much more complicated as an adult, but this book meant a lot to me, and for that, I can't bring myself to give it less than 5 ...more
Tinyde
May 15, 2013 Tinyde rated it it was amazing
This is the best story that Patricia St. John has written. I even wrote a book review on. This book almost made me cry, the amount of love that God shows towards us is amazing, you have to read this book it is a simply amazing story.It is below so I f you don't want the book to spoiled I advise you don't read it.

The story focuses on the season of Christmas, with love and forgiveness being the central themes.
Annette’s character portrays the fruit of the Spirit throughout the story until Lucien,
Josiphine
I have a list of Christmas books that I read every December--A Christmas Carol, Mr. Willoughby's Christmas Tree, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and this one are always the first ones to pop into my mind, though sometimes I read Jack and Jill too.

But this one is my favorite. I can't even remember the first time I heard the story--I know Muzzy read it to me before I could read myself. It has always just been a part of me.

There are so many things that it d
Megan
Feb 16, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: kidbooks
I found a copy of this book at the Pomona Friends of the Library bookstore last week. As a kid we had a couple Patricia St.John books hanging around, though this is the one I remembered the best. Its a blatantly Christian novel, but in this case that's hardly a bad thing. The story takes place in Switzerland, and involves a bully, a crippled boy, his older sister, and a cat. Through their interactions the children all come to understand forgiveness, as well as what it means invite Jesus into ...more
Ben
May 02, 2015 Ben rated it liked it
The themes of a simpler time with a well-defined distinction between right and wrong are nearly non-existent in the 21st Century. Since morality tales are largely absent from the mainstream, and more nuanced themes that show the greater complexities and messiness of life are more prevalent, it felt different to dive into this unabashedly traditional Christian morality tale.

Having Swiss ancestry gave me extra enjoyment reading this book, and I found it satisfying to read a fun story that focused
Jodi
Jun 08, 2016 Jodi rated it really liked it
Elaine
Aug 04, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This was a beautiful story about forgiveness and friendship, set in a small mountain village in Switzerland. We all loved this book, and it moved me to tears at some points! It has a strong Christian message about letting Jesus into your heart, which casts out anger, bitterness, and fear in the hearts of the 2 young protagonists. One wrestles with the guilt, isolation, and self-doubt that came as a result of something mean-spirited he did, wondering if anyone will ever love and forgive him, ...more
Clement Lee
May 16, 2014 Clement Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Lovely story, with a 'complete' ending, (similar to a 'happy' ending, but more than that, the story is well-crafted and orderly and perfectly balanced, much like a circle that is drawn freehand to near perfection) without all the violence and adrenaline rush that typically drive the plot of many, if not most contemporary novels. Ms Pat proves you can tell a good story complete with good teachings behind it, with just normal everyday objects and circumstances (of course Dani's broken leg doesn't ...more
Rebekah
May 08, 2015 Rebekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I'm making my way through all the books on my shelf, decided whether or not they are worth keeping. This one is worth keeping. It's message is a lot more simply presented then the current trend, but simpler is clearer, especially where children are involved. I get the impression that this is a story that crosses generations. It's not particularly hard reading so a child could read it themselves, but even as an adult I enjoyed the story. Wanted to slap a few of the characters up the face several ...more
Natasha March
Jun 07, 2011 Natasha March rated it it was amazing
It is a story of a young girl and her recluse/hermit grandfather. She was 'dumped' on his doorstep at a very young age in his home up in the Swiss Alps. He was rejected by his family many years ago. The young girl become his reason for living and the lovely relationships that grew through this was beautiful. There is much more to this story... it is a heartfelt and emotional story written for young teens. It also speaks of how important family is.

I have read this story at least 3 times over the
Evelyn Mercy Price
Jun 10, 2016 Evelyn Mercy Price rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book to read to my kids because the title sounded familiar and I thought it might have some good principles in it that my kids might benefit from without me seeming preachy.
I was so pleased to discover that it went well beyond my expectations. The story was touching and interesting, and the kids really enjoyed listening to it.
(Although they thought it was a little odd whenever I would get teary and choked up while reading.)
It was so full of beauty and truth. I would recommend i
Joy
Jan 11, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books as a child. It played a huge role in my life since it was the book I was reading when I realized I wanted to ask Jesus into my heart. I just read it again with my children, and it's still just as powerful as it was when I first read it!

Patricia St. John has a mesmerizing way of writing and drawing her reader into her story. This book is a story of selfishness, anger, loneliness and bitterness and about forgiveness and the power of a Savior who brings love into t
The Book
Aug 26, 2013 The Book rated it really liked it
A simple and beautiful story that I used to read as a little girl. The edition I read was actually my mother's edition, and is now held together with ancient sellotape at the spine, the slightly yellowed pages unruffled at the edges despite having been read so many times. The themes are love and forgiveness, and it now seems a very old-fashioned children's story - the concept of passing on the virtues of Jesus to children via literature - but I loved it.
Michelle
Feb 01, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Our family really enjoyed reading this book together. I appreciated the author's clear descriptions of a heart that is unwilling to forgive and the results of harboring hatred. Many of the Christian themes were discussed in length by the author and the characters, but I appreciated that for my children's sake. The results of forgiveness, the characters spending their time and efforts loving others, and the changing of hearts made for a wonderful ending to this story.
Alysia
Aug 31, 2009 Alysia rated it it was amazing
This book was a treasure. I read it out loud to by kids at night before bed, and I was so surprised at how much my boys loved it and begged me for 'just one more chapter' whenever it was time to stop reading. They really could relate to the inner struggles of learning to forgive, and I think they learned a lot from seeing how one hurt can lead to another and snowball, and how forgiving heals the one who forgives. There is beautiful imagery in this story and sweet, memorable lessons.
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • That Printer of Udell's