Start by marking “Twice Freed” as Want to Read:
Twice Freed

Twice Freed

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The second book in the series following on from the bestselling Rainforest AdventuresChildren are fascinated with the natural world around them and with facts and information about animals that they have never seen. However often good nature programmes on T.V. or articles in magazines centre on evolution and completely ignore the Creator. Each story has a Bible verse and l ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by CF4kids (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Twice Freed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twice Freed

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversGarden of Madness by Tracy L. HigleySo Shines the Night by Tracy L. HigleyThe Red Tent by Anita DiamantMark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers
Best Biblical Fiction
52nd out of 181 books — 277 voters
The Silver Branch by Rosemary SutcliffThe Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary SutcliffTwice Freed by Patricia St. JohnThe Thieves of Ostia by Caroline LawrenceCenturion by Simon Scarrow
The Roman Empire Novels
3rd out of 11 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina
This was such an amazing book! I highly recommend it! While it is a historical fictions children's novel, it has so much worth to readers of all ages. St. John gives a fictional account of Onesimus, Philemon's slave spoken of by Paul in his letter to Philemon. The author does an amazingly accurate job of presenting the places and events of this time period as they are accounted for in other passages of Scripture and historical background books. After reading this, I had a better understanding of ...more
Jessica Joy
Twice Freed is the story of a young slave boy living during Ancient Rome. Struggling with his hate and fear, he runs away to find a new life. Along the way circumstances fall into place which show him what, or who, he really needs to be free: Christ.

This book is wonderful. Based around the book of Philimon, Patricia St. John forms a story which makes you cry and laugh, while you, along with the whole host of characters, struggle to find the true answer of love despite life's suffering. Even if
Larissa
I haven't read this in years, but when I was younger I read it several times. I loved most of Patricia St John's books, but particularly this one. It gave so much to this story of Onesimus and I loved how she created a whole story out of a few lines in a small book of the Bible. Whenever I looked at Philemon (that's the book I seem to recall it being from) with my family or in church after reading this, I was always very interested and felt this secret joy about my expanded insight into a possib ...more
Ebookwormy
The positives of this work are unique and compelling. St. John provides wonderful insight into the ancient world. Geography, typography, regional flora and fauna, class structures/ societal practices, travel and economy. The story arc of Onesimus' life is well done, and blends well with the book of Acts that St. John uses as background. You will understand the context of Acts events, as well as all of Paul's epistles, better, after reading this book. This is especially true of the somewhat obscu ...more
LuAnn
Wow, another great book of Roman times and Greek ways as well as the life of early Christians. Based on Paul's letter to Philemon in the Bible, this take place in
Asia Minor (now Turkey in towns like Hieropolis and Ephesus which I have actually visited. Beautifully written and well-worth reading.
Debra
This was a fascinating look at the life of a slave during the early years of the Christian church. It stayed true to Biblical teachings and quoted Paul's letters extensively. My daughter had to read it for English last year and she loved it, so I decided to give it a try myself. I am glad I did!
Hibari Hanana *(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*
This book was amazing. I really enjoyed it. Patricia St. John always does an amazing job retelling stories with her twists! I first read it in seventh grade and I am now rereading it again! I found it for a dollar at a school sale, so I decided to buy it to reread it!

This book is based upon the book of Philemon. Onesimus, a young slave, wishes to be free to pursue his dreams and find the lovely girl Eirene. He wants to run away to Rome and pursue the gods of his ancestors. But when Onesimus does
Michelle Kelly
Early in the month I asked Petal Rose for a book recommendation. It was fun to see her dash away and then, come back with a stack or 5 or 6 books. Twice Freed by Patricia St John was the book I chose from her stack as Petal Rose has been seen reading this book several times in the last few years. A fantastic book, I now recommend it highly. Even though this is a children's or young teen read, the author does a wonderful job describing the setting and bringing the early church to life in the imag ...more
Rachel
An excellent fiction based on the book of Philemon. While we won't know all of Onesimus' story until we can ask him in person, the author makes educated guesses, and it's an engaging story.
Hiulam Chan
Super good children's story book, even me I'm adult, still very enjoy reading this book.
The writer described the scenario in details as if you are in there. A must-read book!
Christie
The description of this book on the goodreads page is incorrect. This is a fictional account of Onesimus from the biblical book Philemon. It's one of the kids' favorites.
Linette
What can I say? Patricia St John beautifully entwines the threads of Paul's letters together to create a totally plausible story of the slave Onesimus. Beautiful.
Jennie
I haven't read this book in years, so I can't give a detailed review, but I loved it enough to read it numerous times in my youth, so it gets 5 stars from me.
Adrian
Read it today, very quickly, Its a set book for some children so wanted to know what was in it. I thought it was clever in the way that the writer uses a 2,000 year old story and makes it readable for today. Not sure that it really works when she puts New Testament words in the mouths of some speakers, and uses AV English. I think it would have worked better if she had used very normal words but gave the sense of the meaning, rather than try to verbatim it. It seems that a lot of research has be ...more
Starry
This obscure book does for St. Paul and the early church what Elizabeth Speare's Newbery Award-winning book "The Bronze Bow" did for Israel during Jesus' ministry -- brings to life the times and the messages through the experiences of a likeable but flawed child narrator. Like another St. John book "Treasure of the Snow", this one has a hard-hitting Christian message about forgiving the wrongs others do to us.

It was fun to read this book soon after visiting Ephesus -- I could picture some of th
Angela Corpus
Probably one of the best of Christian literature that I have read.
Trine
The christian message in this book is strong and well presented and the description of the early church is well done. Unfortunately the book is an oldfashioned children's book with characters that are a little too stereotype for my taste. And why is it that so many books have a rushed ending? It takes pages and chapters to tell of the downfall, some to tell about the turning point and then suddenly everything is fine. But perhaps that's what makes it a children's book.
Olivia
I liked the simplicity yet fun of this book. An awesome look at the heart of Onesimus. Based on the Biblical character.
Rachel
"You Christians are strange people. *Why* were you glad that day when you came home as lame as you went?'
'Because our weakness makes us lean so hard on His strength. Before I was lame I was so proud and strong, I thought I could do anything...my weakness leads me back and back to Him, and I love Him as a thirsty man loves the fountain and a cold man loves the fire. Only you cannot understand till you love Him ...not only am I content; I'm glad.'"
Dulci
Another incredible book by a gifted author. This book was read to me when I was a kid, and now I have had the wonderful experience of reading it to my own kids. Patricia St. John does such a great job of giving a us a feel for the historical setting. This book added great dimension to our history study of ancient Rome. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Crystal Valdez
Such an excellent historical fiction! Mental note to read to my children when they are studying The early church.

The author uses so much scripture to paint a picture of the spiritual climate. Gospel clearly presented. It was so neat to see so many familiar passages woven into a children's story.

Loved it!
Kameron
What a wonderful book! We love Patricia St. John's books...but this one was set apart, with its attention to historic detail and its incorporation of real, New Testament church believers. This era of history and even Paul's letters to the churches have just come alive for all of us as a family.
JR
One of my favorite books ever! When you finish the story, you will understand why it is called Twice Freed. Not only was Onesimus freed from slavery, he was also freed from sin. I'll reread it sometime again. I love this story that much...
AlixJamie
Amazing, absolutely amazing. Drawing on the brief mention of Onesimus from the book of Philemon, Miss St. John wove a suspenseful tale of hatred, forgiveness, and the power of God's grace.
Lauren
i loved patricia st. john books when i was younger so i thought i would start reading them again. this is not one of her best... it's biblical fiction, but i like many of her others much better.
Shawnee Bowlin
This book was awesome. It was so nice to be able to understand a biblical story. I could imagine myself there, and I felt the emotion Patricia St. John was trying to convey to her readers.
Rachel
We read this book in Dirst United Church of Christ's Book Chat group on the recommendation of one of our members. All I can say is I'm glad it was short!!!
Liza Verdon
All of Patricia St. John's books are sweet and give you a better idea of what it would be like to find Christ in trying atmospheres. I loved this book.
Jenny
My 8 and 10 year old gave this one 4 stars. I thought it dragged a bit at times and was hard to get through. But the content was very good.
Festus Chea
It actually reviewed what christians were faced with . I read this inspiring novel more that ten years back and it is worth reading.
about book 4 16 May 12, 2013 03:14AM
about book 1 4 Aug 20, 2010 05:57AM
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • Trial and Triumph
  • Vinegar Boy: Encounter Christ Through the Dramatic Story of Vinegar Boy
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • Martyr of the Catacombs: A Tale of Ancient Rome: A Novel
  • A Father's Promise
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Enemy Brothers (Living History Library)
  • Tirzah
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant, #1)
  • Outcast
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
Patricia Mary St. John spent 27 years as a dedicated missionary to North Africa - and was also a prolific children's writer. Her books are loved and treasured around the world; some have been turned into stirring films. Gripping adventures which cover real life issues are her hallmark.
More about Patricia St. John...
Treasures of the Snow Star of Light The Tanglewoods' Secret Rainbow Garden The Secret at Pheasant Cottage