Start by marking “A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)

A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years #7)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  3,101 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Just after Caroline Quiner starts teaching at the Concord School, she runs into her fiddle-playing neighbor Charles Ingalls, who's full of plans to head out west. As their friendship turns to courtship, Caroline realizes that she has a difficult decision ahead of her -- and a choice that may mean leaving behind her family and everything she's ever known.

A Little House of T...more
Published March 15th 2005 by HarperTrophy (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Little House of Their Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little House of Their Own

Sally
I'd be interested in reading all the other fake Little House books... although this one wasn't that great - there isn't that charm of Laura's writing in this telling.
Kassak
Oh, boy. Where to start? What I write here will be somewhat of a rant.

As I have mentioned before, I am reading/re-reading the Little House books this year (see the review/comments of Beyond the Heather Hills and Across the Puddingstone Dam. I decided to write something after each series. But with the Caroline series I decided to write something in the middle and at the end as there are 2 different authors telling Caroline's tale (see the review of On Top of Concord Hill).

I will start by saying h...more
Rosa Cline
This is the seventh and last book in the Little House books Caroline series. As with the others this last book was better than the first due to already knowing the characters and being able to just enjoy the storyline and being 'there in the moment' with them. A simple but heartwarming easy read, perfect to help drift your mind into another time and place before you have to go to bed. Love these books!

In this book Caroline goes back to her home and becomes a school teacher and takes to it very...more
Rebecca
Returned from college in Milwaukee, Caroline Quiner begins teaching school in her hometown in Concord. She loves it, but there are challenges, and a recurrent distraction in Charles Ingalls, who is back at home and seems intent on courting her. Caroline knows that if she marries, she will have to give up teaching, plus Charles wants to move west, and Caroline wants to stay put. How can she reconcile everything she wants?

This last of the Caroline books takes Caroline to her marriage to Charles, a...more
Monty
I just love all the Little House books; they tell about part of America's history and they are sentimental, plus I learn something about cooking, farming, going through hard times, being a good person and more in every book. This is the last of a seven book series about Caroline, Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother. So far I've read the Martha Series (four books about Martha, Laura's great grandmother; all of these take place in Scotland); four books about Charlotte, Laura's grandmother (these take pl...more
Samantha Bartley
I found this book on a bookshelf in my house, and thought it looked interesting. I thought, according to the title, the book was about Caroline and Charles as newlyweds, starting a new life together. But really, the title "A little house of their own" is not even apart of the story until the very last chapter.
This story is about 17 year old Caroline Quinner, who becomes a schoolteacher. That is the main story in this book. In fact, she doesn't even get engaged until the last chapter.
No Mather,...more
Emily
I love this Caroline book. It goes through Caroline's life as a teacher and the struggle she had with her feelings about Charles. At first Caroline is confident that she wants to teach a few years before getting engaged. But then Charles comes back. She starts to change her mind until Charles starts to talk about leaving to go out to the west. Caroline doesn't want to leave her family. However her mother helps her to admit and realize that she loves Charles so it won't matter where they live as...more
Highjump
Caroline totally should have stayed a bad ass lady teacher.
Sumi
The story of Caroline and Charles' courtship. A children's book, but still a read for those of us that have read the Little House books. I probably would have given it more stars if I'd been a child reading it, but as an adult I was probably expecting more than I ought to have expected. I also thought that the title made it sound as if more of the early days of their marriage would be the topic but it really was a case of 'The Events Leading Up to Getting A Little House of Their Own'

Nonetheless,...more
Ruth
so enjoyable
Kasey
This is by far my favorite book in the whole Caroline series. I found it fasinating to read about Ma and Pa's romance and seeing how it all started. I would greatly encourage Little House fans to read the whole little house series beginning with Laura's great grandmother, Martha, and ending with Laura's daugher, Rose. It was so much fun reading about the different times these women lived in. Rated three and a half stars because it is way below my reading level so it is a entertaining fast read.
Amy
This was hands down my favorite book of the series, I read it cover to cover in less than a day because I couldn't put it down. I saw so much of myself in Caroline in this book and identifying with a character like that always makes it more touching. I especially liked the stories of Caroline in the school, as an educator myself the stories were touching and reminded me of my own experiences as well as my reasons for choosing librarianship as a career.
Lauri
Just remember the Caroline books, as well as any not about Laura are basically fan fiction.
Zoe
Probably the most like the original Little House series, this last in th Caroline Years series has great detail on some of the schoolteacher's challenges, as well as an I the resting look at a settlers cornhusking.
Lauren
Okay, so this book made me really, really happy. I absolutely loved having a backstory for charles and caroline, aka Ma and Pa. And I thought it was pretty near perfectly executed. I was kind of dying. It was lovely.
Theresa
Carolines first year of teaching and the personal expectations she has for her life, are interrupted by love and the romantic ideal of Charles Ingalls.
Kirsten
Isn't it all about Caroline and Charles meeting? The rest of this book pales in comparison, but the courting part was pretty great.
Sadie
This is the final book in the Caroline series and I enjoyed seeing Caroline and Charles relationship develop. Another good book.
Anniemichellez
It was a really fun book! The corn-shucking party is my favorite part! They all get snowed in . . .!
Ally
Apr 07, 2010 Ally added it
Recommends it for: 11-12+
It was good, and left me with a good/strange feeling.
Kaye
Little house, Caroline years. (Laura's mother)
This is my favorite Caroline book. :) Great read.
Janet
We loved this series. Now on the Rose!
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Anna Mcbride
Anna Mcbride marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Mel. C
Mel. C marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • The Road from Roxbury (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #3)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • Mary Ingalls on Her Own
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder
Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5) Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)