Start by marking “The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms” as Want to Read:
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Containing over 1000 of the most troublesome literary terms encountered by students and general readers, this book gives clear and often witty explanations to terms such as hypertext, multi-accentuality, and postmodernism. Among the book's features are: extensive coverage of traditional drama, rhetoric, literary history, and textual criticism; fully updated terms that have ...more
Published November 15th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 20th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms

Rachel
I think this book describes the true essence of my nerdiness. I had to get this for one of my classes in college and I refused to sell it back because I adored it so much. While everyone around me was trying to get rid of it, I put it neatly on my shelf to keep forever, and even got really upset once when I thought I had lost it.

Anyway, this is probably the greatest dictionary in existence if you love reading and all things related to reading. It's very complete and offers many terms that I had
Jessica
Possibly my best buy since beginning my English degree. Very helpful for clarifying difficult concepts in addition to being an excellent reference guide.
jacky
While the cover of my book looks more like a different ISBN number, this is the match. I have several of this book in my classroom and it has proved useful in teaching the students various literary terms.
Dena Rash Guzman
can't go wrong here. I turn to this book when I have writer's block and can't think of a poem to write. It's like a very definitive muse to me.
StrangeBedfellows
I recommend this book to beginner English/literature students; it's a good reference when trying to make sense of all those -isms. ...more
Hannah Mccarney
Excellent point of call for any novel terminology a student may come across on their intellectual journeys
Dev
Every literary term, its origins, and how its used makes for an enlightening read.
Jhop
Jhop marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Sarah Barnerssoi
Sarah Barnerssoi marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2015
Jordan
Jordan added it
May 23, 2015
Razi
Razi marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Boris Simeonov
Boris Simeonov marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Hiwot
Hiwot added it
May 08, 2015
Soonha
Soonha marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Sara1396
Sara1396 marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Tomas
Tomas marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Pedro Rodrigues
Pedro Rodrigues marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Etel
Etel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
  • 50 Literature Ideas You Really Need to Know (Hardcover)
  • Beginning Theory: An Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory (Beginnings)
  • Flip Dictionary
  • The Dictionary of Cliches
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • Random House Word Menu: New and Essential Companion to the Dictionary
  • The Ecstasy of Rita Joe
The Oxford Book of Gothic Tales In Frankenstein's Shadow: Myth, Monstrosity, and Nineteenth-Century Writing Tales of Terror from Blackwood's Magazine (Oxford World's Classics) The Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (Oxford Paperback Reference) The Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (Oxford Paperback Reference)