Start by marking “The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms” as Want to Read:
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Containing over 1000 of the most troublesome literary terms encountered by students and general readers, this book gives clear and often witty explanations to terms such as hypertext, multi-accentuality, and postmodernism. Among the book's features are: extensive coverage of traditional drama, rhetoric, literary history, and textual criticism; fully updated terms that have ...more
Published November 15th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 20th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms

Rachel
I think this book describes the true essence of my nerdiness. I had to get this for one of my classes in college and I refused to sell it back because I adored it so much. While everyone around me was trying to get rid of it, I put it neatly on my shelf to keep forever, and even got really upset once when I thought I had lost it.

Anyway, this is probably the greatest dictionary in existence if you love reading and all things related to reading. It's very complete and offers many terms that I had
Jessica
Possibly my best buy since beginning my English degree. Very helpful for clarifying difficult concepts in addition to being an excellent reference guide.
jacky
While the cover of my book looks more like a different ISBN number, this is the match. I have several of this book in my classroom and it has proved useful in teaching the students various literary terms.
Dena Rash Guzman
can't go wrong here. I turn to this book when I have writer's block and can't think of a poem to write. It's like a very definitive muse to me.
StrangeBedfellows
��I recommend this book to beginner English/literature students; it's a good reference when trying to make sense of all those -isms.
Hannah Mccarney
Excellent point of call for any novel terminology a student may come across on their intellectual journeys
Dev
Every literary term, its origins, and how its used makes for an enlightening read.
Barbara Lemere
Barbara Lemere marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Jo
Jo added it
Jan 14, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Jessica Anne
Jessica Anne marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Louise Bourke
Louise Bourke marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Issa
Issa marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Joyce Campbell
Joyce Campbell marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
  • 50 Literature Ideas You Really Need to Know (Hardcover)
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy
  • Beginning Theory: An Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory (Beginnings)
  • The Oxford Companion to English Literature
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • The Ecstasy of Rita Joe
  • Dictionary of Clichés
The Oxford Book of Gothic Tales In Frankenstein's Shadow: Myth, Monstrosity, and Nineteenth-Century Writing Tales of Terror from Blackwood's Magazine (Oxford World's Classics) The Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (Oxford Paperback Reference) The Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (Oxford Paperback Reference)