Start by marking “The Canopy” as Want to Read:
The Canopy

The Canopy

Deep in the lush and dangerous rain forests of Peru, Alexandra Pace and her team search determinedly for a cure for deadly diseases. One strain of the disease has already begun the process of ravaging Alexandra's own mind and body. Finding a cure is the only hope for her and for her daughter, who has almost certainly inherited the same disease.

Alex believes she is searchin
Published August 5th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Canopy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canopy

Jill
Jan 18, 2013 Jill rated it did not like it
This is a preachy Christian book masquerading as science-based fiction. The really unfortunate part is that you don't realize it until the last 50 pages of the book, when you suddenly understand you're not going to get an interesting answer to the medical mystery you've been reading about - instead you get a very long sermon and a terribly unrealistic deus ex machina (quite literally) ending. There was nothing in the book description to indicate this is Christian fiction. Very disappointed.
Michael E.
Aug 12, 2012 Michael E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like this book, but I struggled to determine if I liked it enough to give it a full four-stars or not. There are aspects of the book that I really-really liked, and there are other aspects that took me out of the story a bit. Ok, I'll go with 4-stars, since I think the positives far out-weigh the negatives.

Overall, the book is very well written, and the plot is interesting and rich. I loved the details given concerning the scientific expedition, and I thoroughly enjoyed all the science and
Michelle
Jan 01, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of unique Christian lit
OK, this one was as good as Uncharted, the other book I read by Angela Hunt earlier this year. Her style is just so interesting. Let me tell you, I have heard missionaries say that God is very active in performing miracles in other places in the world, and this book demostrated that (I know, I know, it is fiction, but it illustrates the reality of what I have heard missionaries saying). Want a whole new take on God's activity in the world? Read this one!
Erin M.
Apr 15, 2011 Erin M. rated it really liked it
The beginning of this book is riveting as it chronicles the agonizing last steps of an as-yet-unnamed, mortally wounded, and fearsomely tattooed Native as he heads toward civilization from deep in the jungle to deliver a message.

Here the writing was at its best as it delved into the sights and sounds and smells of the Peruvian rainforest in the early morning.

The first chapters move back and forth between the stories of the American medical researcher Alexandra Pace and the British doctor Michae
Amanda
Sep 11, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
This book was almost really good--that being said, I did enjoy reading it. I loved the setting and the author had obviously done her homework on that aspect. It had potential. I enjoyed the scientific info on prion diseases and appreciated the research and knowledge that went into this aspect of the book. The end was way too predictable and not well developed. I was also bothered by the main character's hostility toward Michael--it was so unwarranted that it was hard to take seriously. I would h ...more
Michelle
Jul 27, 2013 Michelle rated it did not like it
I thought this would be an action-packed medical mystery in a jungle setting. What I got was preaching, preaching, and more preaching. Clearly, according to the author, you cannot be a happy or healthy person if you are not a god-fearing Christian who believes in creationism. Absolutely painful to get through. I don't think I have ever given a one star review in my life. This only got one star because I couldn't give it a zero and still submit the review. Skip it.
Barbara
Jul 30, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Angela Hunt always comes up with a plausible story in the most remarkable settings. This is no exception as she takes the reader along on a jungle expedition in a well-researched medical mystery. After having read what I believed was all of Hunt's books, this was a fortuitous find.
Wendy
Dec 07, 2007 Wendy rated it really liked it
Loved it up to the disappointing ending, still well worth reading!
Sandy Snavely
Feb 23, 2014 Sandy Snavely rated it it was amazing
I read this book right after coming home from Bolivia. It was amazing. Great read.
Libby
Apr 17, 2015 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, scribd
I loved this book. To me is was in the style of Ann Patchett's book "State of Wonder" but without the disappointing part towards the end of it. This book just kept getting better and better. I highly recommend it. I have heard of true stories like this one of God revealing Himself to isolated tribesmen and them waiting for someone to come and tell them more. I even heart a story where a tribe had built a Church while waiting!
This book is from Scribd- For a free 60 day free trial use the followi
Amy
Sep 19, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
I unfortunately tend to approach "Christian Fiction" with low expectations because sometimes it can be a bit cheesy. This book actually was better than I expected.

The story centers around a neurologist who travels with a team to the Amazon rain forest, searching the jungle for the cure to a particular brain disease. Sort of a medical mystery/ jungle adventure /faith journey all mixed up.

I was drawn into the story more than I expected, and it kept me interested. The writing wasn't amazing, but
Stacia
Jul 03, 2008 Stacia rated it really liked it
Lori
May 20, 2014 Lori rated it liked it
I think Angela Hunt is a great author. Her writing is interesting and informative without being forced. This book especially must have required a great deal of research on the Amazon rain forest as well as medical research on prion diseases. However, this book was not quite as good as others Hunt has written (such as The Novelist and The Face). The ending seemed rushed and somewhat unbelievable, while also predictable. I love Hunt's Christian perspective, and will read as many of her books as I ...more
Susan Austin
Dec 23, 2014 Susan Austin rated it did not like it
As one other reviewer wrote: "This is a preachy Christian book masquerading as science-based fiction". The blurb on the back made it sound really interesting and it gets off to a reasonably good start - so by the time I realised it was a Christian sermon I still wanted to finish it to see what happened. Unfortunately the characters were cliched, a lot of the interactions (eg the hostility of Alex to Michael) were unbelievable and the storyline quite naff. Oh well, lucky I'm on holidays and read ...more
Melissa
May 10, 2015 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! What I thought I was going to read, because this was what was advertised on the book, was a book about medicine, mystery, Amazon tribes, rain forests, and healing. What it is actually about is Christianity, and why people who don't believe in God are hopeless. And, the main character was just plain annoying! The contrived conversations were difficult to get through. Eye-rollingly difficult. And, the endless chapters of the main character thinking to herself when she couldn't sleep was just ...more
Amy Riccio
Feb 20, 2014 Amy Riccio rated it it was ok
Boring. Took several days to finish it. I generally like either a book that's too fantastical to be believable, and therefore you can allow yourself to get sucked into the story, or a story that's totally on par with human existence. Good Christian fiction is very hard to find. The writing was blase, the characters were too stereotypical, and though I'm not saying the storyline isn't believable were it to happen in real life... it was just too convenient. Meh. I probably won't read any more by t ...more
Meadow Frisbie
Jun 27, 2010 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Meadow by: My Dad
The Canopy is set in South America, where people hardley see the son due to the thick canopy above.
I loved the characters, and enjoyed getting to know them. Alouth the man getting eaten by ants, fishing for pirahna, and other things like taht werer a little creepy, it was good to see how the tribes lived. It was hard knowing Alex was dying, and during her last stages made you feel really unsettled. I did think the "spirits" keeping missionaries away from the tribes was really interesting. But D
Marie
Aug 16, 2013 Marie rated it it was ok
I thought this book was a medical thriller, like a Michael Crichton novel, but the author was going for a religious allegory. The first clue was when
when the main character, Dr. Alex Pace, was offended by a coworker's use of a religious term. Her character was not deeply developed - her mistrust of men stemmed from a husband that took off before her baby was born - but little mention of the father that was missing.
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
A well done blend of science, faith, and adventure. Alexandra and Michael must overcome a difficult start to their friendship in order to seek a cure for neurological prion diseases deep in the Amazonian wild. The characters are well sketched and believable, and optimism and faith demonstrate their strengths. Also, this book appears to be much better researched than most "inspirational" fiction.
Karla
Apr 08, 2013 Karla rated it it was ok
I really liked parts of this book- the beginning was great & I was really into it. I thought the science info about prion diseases was really interesting, too. I liked the story of Jesus as it would be told to a lost tribe in a rainforest. But, there were also several parts I found annoying or disjointed. The book didn't always flow that well either. I guess I just have mixed feelings about the whole thing....
Kara
May 01, 2011 Kara rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I loved the variety of characters, the setting, and of course the story! I think that Angela Hunt really knows what she is doing as an author and she picked the perfect organization style (using date and time and switching the focus onto different characters). I am a very outdoorsy kind of person and I am fascinated by the different kinds of science fields, so this was the perfect book for me!

An exciting, intelligent, and enjoyable read!!
Melanie
Nov 25, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
This is only the second fiction novel I've read that has scientists as the main protagonists, going about their daily work (minus all those thriller/adventure novels by popular authors). The story is pretty interesting, even if the science is a little outdated and the main scientist can be a little stereotypical with her belief that faith and reason cannot coexist. But I still liked the characters and I think the message of faith is pretty powerful.
Rachel
Apr 09, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book is so different! It's about Alexandra who is doing research out in the Amazon in the tree canopy . The disease she is seeking a cure for is one that her mother died from and she now has. I learned how the lost tribes live and how God reaches even people we think are mere heathens. Fascinating story!
Amanda
Jul 24, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
I love Angela Hunt. The level of detail and research that she clearly puts into each story is very impressive. This book didn't disappoint. There is a good balance of emotion, struggle, and impressively enough, scientific research for medical interventions to be found in the rainforest. I felt like I knew Alexandra and her daughter, as well as some of their companions.
Deb
Feb 13, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book and wanted to rate it a six, but found the ending a bit far-fetched. Still, the book totally incaptivated me and I was involved until the end. While I thought the ending a bit far fetched, it is written very well so it is easy to read and follow. I also enjoyed the subject matter and her descriptions of the jungle made me feel I was there. Very fun!
Fhays
Nov 21, 2008 Fhays rated it really liked it
How many cures for disease are hidden in the jungele? Are they all plants and animals? Read this book for the answer. I have read a number of this authors' books, and they are all different; surprisingly different. Her characters are well drawn, and her locations vividly described. The plot and pacing were well thought out.
Pam
Mar 29, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
It took me awhile to read this but it was a GREAT book!! It made me think about what it would be like to live in the Rain Forest. My conclusion was that I would have liked it had I been younger. Also, Spiritually it made me think about God and Jesus, our Savior. I am closer to them just from this book. That has to be a good thing, huh?
Marissa
Feb 23, 2009 Marissa rated it liked it
Megan Rogers
Mar 27, 2010 Megan Rogers rated it it was amazing
This book was fascinating, it has been awhile wince I read it so I cannot go into a whole lot of detail, but it was just soooo cool! I remember trying to tell my husband about it and basically you just have to read it to get it!!
Laurie
Aug 18, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it
First time to read this author and enjoyed very much the allegory she drew. Well researched. A book that incorporates the Amazonian rain forest, prion and mad cow disease along with many other tidbits of knowledge into an engrossing story is hard to come by.
  • Embrace Me
  • Wild Rose (Wild Rose Series #1)
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • The Sacrifice
  • Not By Chance (A Seaport Suspense Novel, #4)
  • Fatal Harvest (Haven #1)
  • A Case of Bad Taste (Morning Shade Mystery #1)
  • The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)
  • Boo
  • Trial by Fire (Newpointe 911 #4)
  • Savannah by the Sea
  • At the Scent of Water (Second Chances Collection, #3)
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their thirties, Angie and her husband live in Florid
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...