Start by marking “The Interior Life” as Want to Read:
The Interior Life

The Interior Life

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  12 reviews
'Katherine Blake' is a pseudonym of Dorothy J. Heydt.
Mass Market Paperback, 313 pages
Published July 15th 1990 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about The Interior Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Interior Life

Ria
This book has a very interesting concept. Bored housewife creates a fantasy world inside her head, and she entertains herself by following along with the adventures that the characters are having. By following their lives, learning more about them, she slowly begins to find more peace and comfort and inspiration for her own life, improving her lifestyle and loving herself more because of it.

But toward the end of the book, it all falls apart. I don't mean that the plot begins to change or that th
Barbara Gordon
A long-time favourite and 'comfort book' for me. Bored housewife Susan discovers her fantasy life is epic fantasy, and the characters and story in her head illuminate and expand her understanding of her 'real life'. Susan's tribulations with the PTA, her husband's promotion and her kids intertwine with the struggle against the Dark in a fantasy land. Blake makes both stories gripping.
What I particularly love about the story is that fantasising is presented as something that strengthens Susan, gi
Walter Underwood
Rachel Neumeier

So, recently this book came up in some comment thread somewhere, sorry, don’t remember where, but in a general “I’ve never met anybody else who’s heard of this wonderful book” sort of context.

Well, I have – at least one other commenter had, too – and it is good. Published in 1990 and never re-issued, so, like almost every other good book ever written, it has thoroughly faded from sight. But it’s worth looking up, because it’s not only good, it’s unusual. It’s two stories that braid around each
Sineala
I came across this in the local used bookstore and had the vague feeling that I'd seen it recommended somewhere before and that the author was a pseudonym for someone I liked. So I took a chance, brought the book home, googled it, and discovered that Jo Walton had recommended it and that the author was Dorothy J. Heydt. Score! (Why, yes, I did misspend a lot of my misspent youth lurking on rec.arts.sf.* and in Trek fandom.)

This book is really unusual to read -- a cozy, domestic story about a bor
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Three stars more for what it tried to do than whether or not it actually succeeded. This was one of the books I would always see blurbed in the back of the Baen books I loved when I was a kid, back when (a) it was reasonable to include a mail order form in the back of books and (b) I didn't actually have money to think about ordering books via mail. ;) It always sounded interesting, but I never did anything about it. I stumbled across a copy in a used bookstore in another city back in November, ...more
Brittany
I found this book because of Jo Walton's essay in What Makes This Book So Great, which you can also find on Tor.com. It's not available as a Kindle book, and I couldn't even find it new in bookstores or in the library. I bought it secondhand on Amazon. It has an embarrassing cover.

But I loved it, for all of the reasons Walton covers in her essay. It's a uniquely positive book with a challenging structure that's never discussed or resolved. It's (two) absorbing stories. It was a vastly comforting
Maia
i somehow found this book again among old, old piles: fantasy isn't my thing at all and i remember my then roommate (fanatic for fantasy novels) giving this to me and pestering me till i actually took the time to sit down and read it--i have to admit: i had to really force down my suspense of disbelief (never easy for me) and pretty often remind myself to keep it down in order to actually get on with the story. but i did and it worked, not just because the writing was solid and carried you along ...more
Tasha
A good escape.
jen8998
An old favorite of mine from high school. A bored housewife and mother begins telling herself a story which eventually inspires her to make very positive changes in her own life. Not much happens by way of plot but I enjoy how the main character develops and improves herself.
le-trombone
Aug 24, 2009 le-trombone marked it as to-read
Pseudonym of Dorothy Heydt.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Robert Guico
Robert Guico marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jain
Jain marked it as to-read
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Bananfish2
Bananfish2 is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2014
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Hannah Emery
Hannah Emery marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Alina White
Alina White marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014