Start by marking “Sunshine Makes the Seasons” as Want to Read:
Sunshine Makes the Seasons

Sunshine Makes the Seasons (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

Are there reasons for the seasons?It all starts with the sun. The sun shines on the Earth and keeps it warm.We have day and night because the Earth spins on its axis and we spend part of each day facing the sun and part of the day facing away from it. But why are days longer in the summer than in the winter? The answer to this question is explained through an experiment us ...more
Book + Cassette, Abridged, 32 pages
Published March 28th 1990 by HarperFestival (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Sunshine Makes the Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunshine Makes the Seasons

Ms. Yingling
This level 2 nonfiction picture book does a good job at introducing the concept of seasons. It discusses (with a few sentences and explanatory illustrations) topics like the earth's rotation, day and night, and why the seasons are different temperatures. Using the example of a pencil driven though an orange, they show children shining a flashlight on the orange while rotating it, to show the different seasons. How the seasons are different at the poles and at the equator is also addressed, as is ...more
Jillian
Dec 07, 2016 Jillian rated it really liked it
What gives us the seasons? This book addresses the fact of the rotation of the Earth around the Sun and the results of this rotation. Featuring diagrams, key vocabulary and hands-on activities, this book brings science to life.

I enjoy this book because of its inclusion of activity and hands-on practices, allows the students to feel involved in the learning process. They are able to see how the earth rotates around the Sun, instead of just seeing it in images. The vocabulary addressed is also de
Apr 03, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, science
S2E2. Students will investigate the position of sun and moon to show patterns throughout the
year.
a. Investigate the position of the sun in relation to a fixed object on earth at various
times of the day.
b. Determine how the shadows change through the day by making a shadow stick or
using a sundial.
c. Relate the length of the day and night to the change in seasons (for example: Days
are longer than the night in the summer.).
d. Use observations and charts to record the shape of the moon for
Melanie
Most of this book was taken up with the experiment of simulating the earth's orbit around the sun with the tilt of the axis. We did the experiment but did not find the directions well-written to go with the illustrations (we used another book instead for a similar experiment). My kids did enjoy the juxtaposition of the poles and opposite sides of the earth to show differences in season, day/night, etc.
Laura Verret
Sunshine Makes the Seasons explains how the tilt of the Earth and its rotation cycle affects our seasons. Not only was this concept explained in simple, easy to understand phrases, it was also illustrated by a series of drawings.

Conclusion. Very, very good.

Visit The Blithering Bookster to read more reviews!

www.blitheringbookster.com
Gloria Jones
Oct 02, 2013 Gloria Jones rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
this book was a nice little book to read, the children i actually read it to enjoyed it, we took a walk around the building and found item that we thought went with what season, its fun and colorful. the book is pre k appropriate.

LE
bring in items from different seasons and let the children discuss the difference in seasons.
Gaby Roman
I thought this book was great and I like the illustrations. They are simple but allow young students to understand how seasons happen. I would have my students do the sun and earth activity that is in my story. It allows studnets to see light reflect off a globe using a flash light. The indirect and direct sunlight allows them to see a visual on how the seasons happen.
Katie Jackson
Sep 18, 2011 Katie Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I like how the book shows an experiment for the reader. I like how it goes step by step to help the reader understand how the earth rotates and why the sun doesn't shine on only one side of the earth.
Ruth Ann
Sep 04, 2010 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, geography
A Let's-Read=And-Find-Out Science Stage 2 book. I liked the demonstration using an orange and a flashlight. Kids will be able to try this and thus by getting actively involved, they will construct a good understanding.
Teri
Mar 08, 2011 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: seasons
Use this book as a jumping off point to do the orange and flashlight activity it describes--this is not a good cuddle up on the couch bedtime story.
Heather
Aug 13, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, science
44 months - love this series of intro science books. They always have simple hands on ways to grasp the book's concept. This one is especially good.
Ted Parsons
Jun 18, 2012 Ted Parsons rated it really liked it
Loved the book because of the content, which was the relationship between the sun and the seasons. It was clear, concise and very informative.
Jasmin Thompson
Apr 19, 2012 Jasmin Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Awesome book to teach children about the different phases of the moon, the seasons, the North Pole, South Pole, Equator. Children will learn how and why the seasons change.
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Huda
Sep 09, 2009 Huda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أحد كتبي المدرسية في مرحلة الاختصاص
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2010
knitsmith
knitsmith rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Sile Konnaris
Sile Konnaris rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Ashly  Roman
Ashly Roman rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2012
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Janine Weston
Janine Weston rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2011
Austin Patterson
Austin Patterson rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Sparkles
Sparkles rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2012
Hugh
Hugh rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
May 11, 2012
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Lionel
Lionel rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Xander
Xander rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • How Do Apples Grow?: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • What Will the Weather Be?
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Oh Say Can You Say What's the Weather Today?: All About Weather
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • The Reasons for Seasons
  • Let's Go Rock Collecting: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • Clouds: Let's Read and Find out Science - 1
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Inside the Earth (The Magic School Bus, #2)

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 80 books)
  • Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • The Sky Is Full of Stars
  • My Visit to the Dinosaurs: Let's Read and Find out Science -2
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • Down Comes the Rain: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Mission to Mars