Start by marking “The Snow Empress (Sano Ichiro, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Snow Empress (Sano Ichiro, #12)

The Snow Empress (Sano Ichiro #12)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Japan, 1699: On a moonlit night on the northern frontier island of Ezogashima, a woman is running through the forest when an arrow strikes her dead. Meanwhile, in the city of Edo, the young son of Sano Ichiro, the samurai detective who has risen to power in the shogun’s court, vanishes during a moon-watching festival. When one of Sano’s political rivals hints that the boy ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Empress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Empress

Jen
Things I've learned from this book:

-The best way to interrogate someone is to yell accusations at them wildly until they crack...admittedly this seems to be what they do in Law & Order
-People in 1699 Japan say things like "and don't try any funny stuff"
-With enough martial art training, you can make people fall into a deeper sleep with just a touch of your finger...ooooh
-If your 8 year old scratches notes in a big wall, you'll of course almost immediately find it and in the three months sinc
Regina
The only thing I vaguely remember about this book is anger. I was angry at Reiko for flat out saying that she as a mother loves her son more than her daughter. Like... she just left her toddler child to someone else while she went out onto a quest she might not come back from and all to find her son, who could have been found by her husband too. It's not that I don't understand her, because everyone knows that the 'I love them equally' talk is bullshit, but still.
And the second one is the kille
Kayeb
AS their son is kidnapped due to the ongoing battle for supremacy, Reiko and Sano go to an island, where the head guy has been taken over by his dead lover... a new culture is partly introduced, and the cruelty toward others continues on the part of the rulers. Geez.....

Japan, 1699. On a moonlit night in Ezogashima, the northernmost island of Japan, a woman is running through the forest when an arrow zooms out of the darkness to strike her dead. Meanwhile, a world away in the city of Edo, the ei
Kandice
Except for the last few chapters, this would have been a 2 star book for me. I really enjoy and like the characters Joh Rowland has created. They have depth, and I actuallyc are for them. My complaint with her books is the ridiculous situations she puts these characters in. They just don't make sense.

I've only read two other of this series, and admitedly, I've read them out of order. Even having done that, I genuinely like Sano and his wife. I really want to know what's going on in their lives.
D. T.
I was actually angry when I finished this--angry that this lazy and ridiculous book wasted my time and wasted my faith in this author. After 11 novels, I'd thought Rowland's series reliably entertaining, a nice diversion into historical Japan with a (usually) engaging mystery. Even with the weaker books in this series, I've always found something to redeem it, if for nothing but the fact that I was indeed entertained.

But this one...this one was just awful. It was a noticeably strained effort, an
Alison Dellit
Goddamn New Year resolutions. One of mine was to review every book read this year, which I'll be honest and confess is the only reason I am writing this review.
What to say? As this series has worn on, it has gotten decreasingly realistic, and increasingly sensationalist. I picked this one up because I have a curiosity about Japan's Ainu people, and no knowledge whatsoever. Other than being aware that they have a long history of conflict with the Japanese, a tradition of "shamanesses" (a horrendo
Indrani
This one did keep me guessing - so many suspects, all with such reasonable motives!

Rowland pulls us out of the familiar streets of Edo, and into the strange world of Ezogashima for this adventure of Sano Ichiro and friends. She does a good job of capturing the mental journey that her protagonist must undergo, which mirrors his physical one, as Sano realizes that no, he doesn't understand the culture he is in, and that yes, he has made some assumptions that lead to errors in his own judgement.

My
April

Yay review finally up (albeit short).

This was my first foray into Rowlands mystery world concerning fuedal Japan (and that shocked me, I mean, a Samurai detective? The novel might as well have sprouted clawing treelike arms to pull me in) and I really, really enjoyed it. There were so many motives; so many leads! (view spoiler) It picks you
Sara
Samurai mystery! It might not normally be something I'd pick out to read, but the good thing about finding audiobooks at the library is that it's an easy way to try out different things. The Snow Empress is the 12th in a series starring samurai detective/government official Sano Ichiro. It's set in feudal Japan, in the year 1699. I have not read any of the previous books in this series, so I'm sure that I must be missing out on a huge amount of character backstory and understanding of Sano's pol ...more
William
The setting (Northern Japan) and the time (17th century) were very interesting, but the story was a little flimsy. It was a little brutal in places but probably realistic. This is the 12th book in the series and would be a little stale if I had read any of the others. I would recommend to start with the first in the series, "Red Chrysanthemum" which was highly acclaimed as a better first read and then some others in the series if the mood strikes you.
Laurel
What intrigued me about this "detective" novel was its physical setting (Ezogashima,a far northern island of Japan), its time frame (1699), and the fascinating description of the indigenous people of the island (Ezos, or, as they call themselves, "Ainu").

As Sano, the samurai detective--and his clever wife, Reiko-- search for their young son on the island (who'd been kidnapped by a political rival), they are involved in solving the murder of the provincial governor's indigenous mistress.

Ghosts,
Caroline
Mar 31, 2009 Caroline rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Xarah
I really struggled to get through this book, and had to force myself a few times to actually read the pages rather than let my mind wander. The murder was intriguing--I liked the setting of Ezogashima, Tekare posed an interesting murder victim--but I just it to be almost impossible to really get invested in the story. The final one hundred pages really picked up the plot better, but it was getting there that really wound up being a problem.

Like in some of the previous novels in the series, there
George
Dec 12, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Japanese historical mystery readers
Another in the late 17th century Ichiro Sano mysteries. In this story, Sano is sent by the Shogun to the empire's northern most province, Hokkaido, to investigate what is happening there. He is also in search of his kidnapped son who has been sent there as part of the usual palace power struggle intrigues that Sano keeps being involved in.

This story is shorter than previous ones, less involved in the day-to-day palace intrigues and rivalries that Sano is usually in the middle of, and is more a s
Maria
So far, I've enjoyed The Sano mystery series by Laura Joh Rowland, but this one was lacking the believe-ability of the others. For the most part, these novels haven't strayed very far from the real world. While there's nothing wrong with throwing a little mysticism into a historical novel, it felt like we were forced to accept a higher level of it than I could ever anticipate seeing in this series of books. I just didn't think it added depth to the story line at all.
Snap
This is more like it! I found The Snow Empress to be a better read than Red Chrysanthemum. It was a much smoother read. Exciting. Well paced. Sano Ichiro and Reiko's young son is kidnapped and taken to Ezogashima (present day Hokkaido and the Ainu). They begin a desperate journey to find their son. The local ruler is holding an entire province hostage for the murder of his mistress. If Sano can discover the murderer, perhaps he will have help finding his son. One of the best things about The Sno ...more
Juliet
My very first foray in a Laura Joh Rowland book and not the last. What I liked most about this book is the setting of Egozashima, a place so distinctly old-fashioned and different from what was then the main city of Japan which was Edo.

I didn't find the whole mystery of who killed Tekare very thrilling - the problem was there were too many suspects, too many leads and not a lot of mystery. Sano as the "hero" and the main characters of this series also wasn't very interesting not like Hirata whi
Jan McClintock
The 12th in the Sano Ichiro series, this was a slight departure from the series in that it takes place in far northern Japan, where Sano and Reiko's son has been kidnapped, apparently to lure him away from the capital. The lord of the province seems crazy after the murder of his mistress, and Sano must solve the crime to have any hope of finding his son. Themes include racial discrimination and spiritual possession.

I think I'm losing patience with the characters...finally. It began a few volume
Brooke
This book was pretty interesting and it kept me reading. I could put it down and walk away so it wasn't SUPER great, but like I said, it kept me reading.
Warning of a few explicit contents toward the end, although they are easy to skip over and are small.
I liked the overall plot and the way we were given clues (although it did end open-ended to some degree), but I did think the characters were lacking. It was difficult to identify with them. There were times when I could feel for the characters a
Carrie
I don't know if I came to this one because I was reading more mystery novels, or if I picked this up with the bad habit of looking at the cover, reading the back and passing judgement. Whichever was the case, I found The Snow Empress to be really entertaining. It kept me guessing, which I enjoyed, and even if the villain seemed really obvious, there were parts about the plot that weren't wholly revealed until the end. I also realize that this isn't the first book where her main character appears ...more
Xarah
This is the 12th book in the Sano Ichiro series.

Not a bad read. The story got a little strange when the characters realized that Lord Matsumae’s body was also inhabited by Tekare, his murdered mistress. Very, very weird.

There were a few times when I wanted to go into the story and start slapping people upside the head! I don’t know why it took so long for the characters to get with it.

I usually really like this series, but this book was kind of hard to really get into. I was never really able t
Michelle
I listened to this one and I think that's the best choice. I can listen to the unfamiliar names and can keep the characters straight. I would've found that hard with the actual book. This one isn't a bad story. It is part of a series, so if you've read the previous books you may appreciate the characters more. What drug the story down for me is Tekare's possession of Lord Matsumae. Part of me wishes I had read the book, so that part of the audio wouldn't have had the reader's voice for Tekare to ...more
Tracie
sometimes there is just so much stuff going on in these books they leave me a bit dazzled
I really liked this book, and had no idea that it was a series.

I saw it at the Friends of the Library Book sale and thought the cover was gorgeous. For $2/ hardcover, you can take chances like that...

This was a mystery set in feudal Japan, and the main character is a Samauri and his wife. There is political court intrigue, and interesting cultural references throughout the book. It is nothing revolutionary, but I found it a unique take on the mystery genre. I will look for more of the series i
I read this for my Global Whodunits Primary Source book group. I enjoyed it once I got the characters straight...this could've benefitted from a character listing. Takes place in 1699 in Hokkaido. A samurai-detective makes a deal with the local shogunate who is repressive to native Ainu people. If Sano can solve the murder of his Ainu consort (who has possessed him), he will help him find his kidnapped son (whom he ordered taken and killed.) I like Reiko, his spirited wife who actually solved th ...more
Success
I am soo glad I completed this book last year December because I loved every bit of the story. All I can say is you should pick up a copy for yourself to believe me.
A quick and short review is, I knew Gizaimon was the one who had set up the bow in the woods inorder to murder Lord Matsumae's mistress.
Jan
Masahiro, son of the former samaurai detective, Sano Ichiro, and Reiko is kidnapped by his political rival. What will it take and can they recover their beloved son safely from barbarians of the Northern Japan, the Ainu?

Enjoyed this one this most since the original. Not as caught up in the weirdness/perversion of Japanese court--still had to get it in--but not as large a player. Magic or spirituality or probably more rightly mysticism makes a difference in this story line.
フィル
In this chilling tale set in the Japanese northern island of Hokkaido (then called Ezo), detective Sano and his family are swept up in a dangerous kidnapping, ultimately leading them to the heart of the frozen hinterlands of the Japanese islands. Full of the usual political intrigue that Rowland has come to once again admirably craft amidst her classic mystery atmosphere, this edition in the long running series will leave old fans and new alike unable to put it down.
Ariel
You can tell this is #12 in a series. Also that the author is western and has no idea how to correctly tell a Japanese story; she pays attention to all the wrong things, is lazy in her description and with moving the plot, and contains no elements whatsoever of the Japanese style of writing. That said, it was a fun, fluffy little story, and I learned a bit of Japanese history and ethnic tensions (assuming she had her facts right).
Kathy
Sano and Reiko's son has been kidnapped, and when they travel to Ezogashima in the far north of Japan (present-day Hokkaido), they find the daimyo has gone mad with grief over his mistress' death. To save their own lives and that of their son, they must investigate the murder. Supernatural elements overdone, and the language occasionally intrudes into the story, but nice sense of setting. OK, but not nearly the best mystery around.
Devan Lipsey
I guess I'm burnt out on this genre. This is another murder mystery set in historic Asia (Japan), with the central character leaving Edo for the northern provinces. The death involves a native Ainu women who is possessing the lord of the domain. I've read book by the same author, and it is of course derivative of Van Gulik and the Akitada series. It was good light reading while on spring break.
  • Rashomon Gate (Sugawara Akitada, #2)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • Murder in Canton
  • Jembatan Musim Gugur (Samurai, #2)
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • The Spies of Sobeck (Amerotke, #7)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
Granddaughter of Chinese and Korean immigrants, Laura Joh Rowland grew up in Michigan and where she graduated with a B.S. in microbiology and a Master of Public Health at the University of Michigan. She currently lives in New Orleans with her husband. She has worked as a chemist, microbiologist, sanitary inspector and quality engineer.
More about Laura Joh Rowland...
Shinju (Sano Ichiro, #1) The Concubine's Tattoo (Sano Ichiro, #4) The Samurai's Wife (Sano Ichiro, #5) Bundori (Sano Ichiro, #2) Black Lotus (Sano Ichiro, #6)