Start by marking “4th of July, Asbury Park: A History of the Promised Land” as Want to Read:
4th of July, Asbury Park: A History of the Promised Land

4th of July, Asbury Park: A History of the Promised Land

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Wonderfully evocative…a grand, sad story of racism and real estate, political hardball and seaside pleasure-seeking."--A.O. Scott, New York Times Book Review

When Bruce Springsteen called his first album Greetings from Asbury Park, he introduced a generation of fans to a fallen seaside resort town that came to represent working-class American life. Starting with the town's
Published June 27th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA (first published July 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 4th of July, Asbury Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 4th of July, Asbury Park

Christine
Asbury Park was my main haunt while I lived in New Jersey. The first time I drove through Asbury Park, it was just surreal. The rusted, unfinished skeleton of a highrise condo loomed out of an eerie fog rolling in off the ocean. The place was a mess, the decaying remains of a Victorian-era amusement park and resort town.

I loved it. It was full of broken dreams and bad deals. It reminded me of Cleveland.
Rich
If you have an interest in history, music, the New Jersey Shore (sans Snooky and The Situation), capitalism, segregation, Puritanism, racial issues, religion, Stephen Crane, literature, Asbury Park, urban renewal, municipal government, political corruption, Bruce Springsteen, or the tragedy and vacuousness of American values and hope, I'd highly recommend this book.
Jeff
This is an interesting read about the history of Asbury Park, how it came to be, and it's slow and steady collapse. There are some definite oddities to the town yet it also sounds like many other boomtowns across the USA.
E
Eloquent and depressing, about a city that has captured my imagination. Slightly more dry than I would prefer, but overall fascinating and thoroughly researched.
Mkmsales
Fascinating info on a place I visited often. Adds a different perspective on events I saw from way outside. Very insightful.
Christopher
Growing up in an area in economic, physical, and social decline, "you gotta get out while you're young."
Mary Clark
I loved this book! great weaving of local Jersey shore history, music history and social history.
J
A wonderful history of what Asbury Park always aspired to be but never quite managed.
Terrikuns
Terrikuns is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Teatum
Teatum marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Reanin Mcroberts
Reanin Mcroberts marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Diane
Diane added it
Aug 25, 2014
Asdeghik
Asdeghik marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Melisa
Melisa added it
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Grammy-nominated author Daniel Wolff's latest book is "The Fight for Home: How (Parts of) New Orleans Came Back." His previous books include "How Lincoln Learned to Read,""4th of July/Asbury Park" and "You Send Me: The Life and Times of Sam Cooke.""
More about Daniel Wolff...
How Lincoln Learned to Read: Twelve Great Americans and the Educations That Made Them The Fight for Home: How (Parts of) New Orleans Came Back Negro League Baseball The Names of Birds Work Sonnets