Blank-133x176
The Proposal

Lori Wick

The Proposal (English Garden #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,408 ratings  ·  94 reviews
"William Jennings is not married and likes it that way. But when a relative passes away, he is suddenly guardian of three young children. This unforeseen development nevertheless provides him one great comfort--he now has a male heir without the bother of a wife. Yet the children quickly become more than he can handle."--Container.
Published 2003 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proposal

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Lori Wick started this series called "The English Garden Series," on the acknowledgements page she admits to being a fan of Jane Austen, which pleased me exceedingly because I am too! Lori Wick is also a fan of the time period and "The Proposal" takes place in England in 1810. In homage to Jane Austen, Lori Wick used a lot of character names from Jane Austen's works, however these characters don't display the same personalities of the ones for which they are named. I wasn't confused by this as I...more
Rina
After reading several novels where the main and only point is the romance, it is refreshing to read a novel where there is more to the story. The three children are important characters and a lot of the story revolves about them grieving their father and getting used to their new life with Jennings.

The reader also meets Jennings’ sister, Lydia, husband Palmer and their children. It is through this family that Jennings meets Marianne Walker. And it is also Lydia and Palmer to whom Jennings turns...more
Josiah
If you're a fan of Austen & Bronte, you may enjoy Wick's English Garden series, set in the mid-1800s Victorian England. Without reading classics on that era, you won't get much at all from these poorly written stories. Wick provides no details on settings, costumes, activities, or characters; no era-appropriate language or topics; unbelievable interactions between characters; and fully half the book is taken up without repeating the same scene over and over and over and over again! I was hop...more
Ellen
Whenever I read a Lori Wick book, I start out thinking that its nothing special and even a bit slow, but by the end I'm always smiling, laughing, and generally glad I read it. The Proposal fits that bill. I enjoyed the setting immensely, easily slipping into the historical setting complete with oh-so-familiar names like Mrs. Dashwood, putting one in mind of Jane Austen. I absolutely adored the sea-bathing scene and the description of the bathing machine. What a hoot! There is a good chunk of dec...more
Willinda
What I liked: a gentle, comfy read set in regency England. I enjoyed reading it, and didn't need to skip ahead (a big problem of mine).
What I didn't like: during this time period, there's no way a single woman could go on a trip unchaperoned with a single man (kids and servants don't count) and not be considered "compromised". Also, I wanted to see better develpment of the emerging relationship between main love interests.
What bugged the crap out of me: How all the characters have the mixed up...more
Alexia
This book was really really slow. I didn't like it at all. I'll probably not read another book by her because it disliked this one so much.
Anna
It was ok. No real depth to the characters. Unrealistic, but cute story. I wanted to know how it would end.
Marilize
After reading something more weighty, this book felt a bit like eating baby-food: Nourishing, might even taste good, but nothing much really to chew on. It's good for relaxing, sort-of fairytale-like, but at that stage I really needed something I could sink my teeth into.

I was just reminded of one annoying habit of Lori's that I'd almost forgotten about: She likes to say "that lady" or "that gentleman" in stead of his, him, her, hers, etc. All it does is draw your attention to the writing and di...more
Heidi
This book was a good clean Christian Romance. It was also a quick read for me. I enjoyed the story and the characters. The book is set in 1810. Jennings is a bachelor who inherits 3 children from a cousin he didn't know when the cousin dies suddenly. I was amused when he decides to propose to Marianne and states the reason as being because the children need a mother and they seem to like her. Oh wow! How's that for romance? :) He wasn't a jerk, though. He just didn't think things through complet...more
Kim
A nice comfy Christian book. A little predictable. I loved how the author showed that it's easy to become selfish and set in your ways when you have been single for years. In this case, the children cause a change of heart in their uncle and give him a greater purpose in life, a love beyond that which he knew. ( I listened to this book, and didn't care for narrator.)
Diane Daniels
This was a sweet, clean, religious romance. It was a nice change of pace from all the violence that seems to be so prevalent in current books.
Elaine Atkins
This is a fluffy book , but refreshing in its view of faith and how God works. It is just a fun read.
Eveline Evans
An enjoyable read. I like stories with settings in England. Yes, it was predictable. I mean the title gives away the story so to speak. I like happy endings. I will be starting book 2 of the series.
Barbara
A confirmed bachelor, William Jennings, is left to care and raise his relative's three young children. He's thrilled to have a son to carry on the family name, but doesn't know what to do with precocious Penny, a 6 year old girl who desperately needs a mother.

Into this setting enters Marianne Walker, a neighbor with intelligence and faith. As with most of her books, Marianne is preachy at times but is a decent, likable character. This book isn't as bad as some of the others in the series, but t...more
Kristelle
I was expecting the children to be more of a backdrop for the story and was so grateful that the author choose to give them such shining personalities. I also loved how all of the characters were very believable. I personally don't agree with all of the doctrine that she put in her book but the story was great. There are three more books and I am exited to read them but there wasn't much of a cliff hanger for me.
Judine
While I hesitate to criticise Lori Wick, I think this book tried to do too much. I love that this series was inspired by Jane Austen films (and includes a Mr. & Mrs. Hurst and Mrs. Dashwood as minor characters), but I think she should have spent this entire book with Jennings finding Christ and learning to father the children; then the sequel could deal with his courtship of Marianne.
Cassandra
I liked this book because the characters in it are so very human they all had their seperate flaws and issues that they were dealing with and it made them easy to relate to I also like the details of the different time period that they were dealing with and the they reacted very differently to issues because of the time they lived in. So all in all I really enjoyed this book.
Heather
Way to preachy. I don't need an explanation of the trinity in the middle of a novel. I understand the author wants to share her religious views but they don't fit the supposed setting of the book. I kept wondering if the author knew anything about Regency England. The heavy born again ideas detract from what could have been a good story.
Lavona
This was a four part series (The English Garden Series). Lori Wick is an incredible writer. I was so fasinated by the books and could not put them down. The writing brings the characters to life and I was sad when I was done reading them. I found myself totally wrapped in the life of the characters. Awesome series!
Katie
I adored this book! I love reading books from this era and I enjoyed reading from the perspective of someone in the process of being saved. It was inspiring reading about these people actually following Christ; my heart went out to Marianne in particular. Great book, very cute, definitely worth a read
Elizabeth
you know, i just should stop reading these type of books.
so unrealistic that it makes me sick, but it's like candy - they're so easy to read, and then when it's over you feel like you've eaten way too much cake.
the characters are just so perfect and unrealistic and so PERFECT. everything is too perfect.
Mary Ann
Ms. Wick manages to focus a shining light on the differences in what is considered normal and what was considered normal 200 years ago. Once again her focus is on the one to one relationship with our Heavenly Father and how that directs our day to day lives.
Wen
This book was sweet and charming. A very easy read. The story of a bachelor that 'inherits' a trio of siblings. It is cute to see how he learns to interact with them. The kids will make you smile, laugh and even tear up. Very enjoyable.
Amy
I liked Wick's "Princess" book a lot better. Much of this story is about the children that Jennings (male lead) inherits from a dead cousin. Mari (female lead) isn't even introduced until about 75 pages into the book.
Alisha
it wasn't boring but it wasn't one I had a hard time putting down. very predictable as well. I enjoyed it though. The religious stuff was refreshing at first but got very preachy by the end.
Paula
This was quite poorly edited compared to others of Lori's that I've read. Fairly standard plot - man inherits children and has to learn how to be a father. Nothing overly dramatic happens.
Becky
I enjoyed these books, There are three in the series. Very quick and easy to read. Just a great fall in love, feel good story. A nice change of pace from the political thriller I've been reading.
A Lee
As usual she delivered a marvelous book in which there was some wonder if they would ever marry. I always am entertained by Lori's books and I'm sure I will with this English Garden Series.
Rochelle
I read it in one sitting so I wouldn't have to pick it up again... predictable, feel-good, nice-Christian-woman-has-faith-that-saves-the-man-she'll-marry story. I liked the kids, though.
Kara
I was bored. I wasnt convinced with the story line, characters, etc... 2.5 stars its a light, feel-good book for those who want a quick and easy read. not terrible, just not my taste.
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
  • The Tender Vine (The Diamond of the Rockies #3)
  • True Valor (Uncommon Heroes #2)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Dear Lady (Coming to America #1)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...
The Princess Sophie's Heart The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles #1) Pretense Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles #2)