Start by marking “The Proposal (The English Garden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Proposal

Lori Wick

The Proposal (The English Garden #1)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  4,488 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
"William Jennings is not married and likes it that way. But when a relative passes away, he is suddenly guardian of three young children. This unforeseen development nevertheless provides him one great comfort--he now has a male heir without the bother of a wife. Yet the children quickly become more than he can handle."--Container.
Published 2003 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 2002)

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Lori Wick started this series called "The English Garden Series," on the acknowledgements page she admits to being a fan of Jane Austen, which pleased me exceedingly because I am too! Lori Wick is also a fan of the time period and "The Proposal" takes place in England in 1810. In homage to Jane Austen, Lori Wick used a lot of character names from Jane Austen's works, however these characters don't display the same personalities of the ones for which they are named. I wasn't confused by this as I ...more
Rina
After reading several novels where the main and only point is the romance, it is refreshing to read a novel where there is more to the story. The three children are important characters and a lot of the story revolves about them grieving their father and getting used to their new life with Jennings.

The reader also meets Jennings’ sister, Lydia, husband Palmer and their children. It is through this family that Jennings meets Marianne Walker. And it is also Lydia and Palmer to whom Jennings turns
Ellen
Jul 18, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I read a Lori Wick book, I start out thinking that its nothing special and even a bit slow, but by the end I'm always smiling, laughing, and generally glad I read it. The Proposal fits that bill. I enjoyed the setting immensely, easily slipping into the historical setting complete with oh-so-familiar names like Mrs. Dashwood, putting one in mind of Jane Austen. I absolutely adored the sea-bathing scene and the description of the bathing machine. What a hoot! There is a good chunk of dec ...more
Willinda
Mar 02, 2008 Willinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I liked: a gentle, comfy read set in regency England. I enjoyed reading it, and didn't need to skip ahead (a big problem of mine).
What I didn't like: during this time period, there's no way a single woman could go on a trip unchaperoned with a single man (kids and servants don't count) and not be considered "compromised". Also, I wanted to see better develpment of the emerging relationship between main love interests.
What bugged the crap out of me: How all the characters have the mixed up
Josiah
If you're a fan of Austen & Bronte, you may enjoy Wick's English Garden series, set in the mid-1800s Victorian England. Without reading classics on that era, you won't get much at all from these poorly written stories. Wick provides no details on settings, costumes, activities, or characters; no era-appropriate language or topics; unbelievable interactions between characters; and fully half the book is taken up without repeating the same scene over and over and over and over again! I was hop ...more
Melodie Ashley
May 25, 2016 Melodie Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. If you like Christian romance books, then this is a very good one to read. The book made me feel like I was a part of the story, and my favorite character would have to be either Penny or Marianne. As you read the book, the title starts to make a lot of sense. The simple acts that take place in the story make you feel humble and the payoff in the end is great. I also enjoyed how the author incorporated some strong morals and the strong responsibility towar ...more
Anna
Jan 11, 2010 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. No real depth to the characters. Unrealistic, but cute story. I wanted to know how it would end.
Alexia
Mar 08, 2013 Alexia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really really slow. I didn't like it at all. I'll probably not read another book by her because it disliked this one so much.
Johazel Ehnes
Jan 02, 2017 Johazel Ehnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lori Wick does a fantastic job with this series of books. It's just great to see how family & friends support each other and aren't afraid to show their feelings.
S. Maddox
Mar 11, 2017 S. Maddox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please see my review here:

Scroll to the bottom if you only want to read the review. I inserted the review into another type of post.
Diana
Mar 08, 2017 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining this book ended up being despite the slowness and lengthy descriptions at times. (view spoiler)

I also liked that the story was a stand-alone story while the next books are about different characters.
Jessica
It's been several years since I read any of Lori Wick's work. I read her “Yellow Rose” series in my teen years after a recommendation from my sister but for some reason, I never got around to picking up any of her other books until now. I must say, I'm glad I finally got around to it.

I had this book (as well as the second book in the series) sitting on my shelf the past few years but never was in the mood to read it. There was always something new from the library or on my kindle to read. Well,
Marilize
After reading something more weighty, this book felt a bit like eating baby-food: Nourishing, might even taste good, but nothing much really to chew on. It's good for relaxing, sort-of fairytale-like, but at that stage I really needed something I could sink my teeth into.

I was just reminded of one annoying habit of Lori's that I'd almost forgotten about: She likes to say "that lady" or "that gentleman" in stead of his, him, her, hers, etc. All it does is draw your attention to the writing and di
Heidi
Jun 01, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was a good clean Christian Romance. It was also a quick read for me. I enjoyed the story and the characters. The book is set in 1810. Jennings is a bachelor who inherits 3 children from a cousin he didn't know when the cousin dies suddenly. I was amused when he decides to propose to Marianne and states the reason as being because the children need a mother and they seem to like her. Oh wow! How's that for romance? :) He wasn't a jerk, though. He just didn't think things through complet ...more
Rachael
May 28, 2015 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy
Nov 29, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had this one on my shelf a long time and was looking forward to reading it after absolutely loving Wick's "Princess". I was disappointed in "The Proposal." Much of this story is about the children that Jennings (male lead) inherits from a dead cousin. Mari (female lead) isn't even introduced until about 75 pages into the book. I think the romance suffers because of these factors. I won't be reading the rest of the English Garden series. I'll still read the other Wick books I bought on clearanc ...more
Barbara
A confirmed bachelor, William Jennings, is left to care and raise his relative's three young children. He's thrilled to have a son to carry on the family name, but doesn't know what to do with precocious Penny, a 6 year old girl who desperately needs a mother.

Into this setting enters Marianne Walker, a neighbor with intelligence and faith. As with most of her books, Marianne is preachy at times but is a decent, likable character. This book isn't as bad as some of the others in the series, but t
Rochelle
I really, really liked this book!

It was a tiny bit saccharine sweet, but nothing that overly bothered me. It was also a bit slow at first, but I found that the story was well paced overall. It reminded me of a Jane Austen novel: something with which you can't help but fall in love! ♥

♥ This is the kind of book that gives you the warm fuzzies! ♥

It was absolutely adorable, and I would recommend it without hesitation!
Kristelle
Feb 09, 2009 Kristelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I was expecting the children to be more of a backdrop for the story and was so grateful that the author choose to give them such shining personalities. I also loved how all of the characters were very believable. I personally don't agree with all of the doctrine that she put in her book but the story was great. There are three more books and I am exited to read them but there wasn't much of a cliff hanger for me.
Tori
Dec 29, 2015 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this I thought it seemed really familiar. But it wasn't on my Goodreads list so I figured I hadn't read it. I think I actually HAD started it before and got bored, so I stopped. I got bored this time too, but stuck it out. the first 1/4 & the last 1/4 was good. The middle was just "eh" for me. This is a deeply Christian book so if you aren't in the mood for that or its not your thing, you may not like it. I thought it was overall OK.
Massanutten Regional Library
Avis, Main patron, July 2015, 5 stars:

Lori Wick writes wonderful stories of faith and relationships. I loved that The Proposal explored the lives of a family thrown together after a death and how they all experienced God in the midst of it. The characters experience emotions that easily connect with the reader, and she explains faith and God simply yet thoroughly. Overall, a wonderful read if you are looking for a spiritually sound Christian romance.
Kathy
Apr 05, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The English Garden Series #1
The Proposal, by Lori Wick
Set in early 19th century London… Read/listen to with a box of tissues handy. You'll cry, from sadness but you'll also cry from joy. :-)

Read:
2003 or so Paperback
2014 Kindle edition
April 4-5, 2015 Audible Audiobook $3.99 if you own the Kindle edition! :-)
Katie
Aug 05, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book! I love reading books from this era and I enjoyed reading from the perspective of someone in the process of being saved. It was inspiring reading about these people actually following Christ; my heart went out to Marianne in particular. Great book, very cute, definitely worth a read
Elizabeth
you know, i just should stop reading these type of books.
so unrealistic that it makes me sick, but it's like candy - they're so easy to read, and then when it's over you feel like you've eaten way too much cake.
the characters are just so perfect and unrealistic and so PERFECT. everything is too perfect.
Heather
Aug 16, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Way to preachy. I don't need an explanation of the trinity in the middle of a novel. I understand the author wants to share her religious views but they don't fit the supposed setting of the book. I kept wondering if the author knew anything about Regency England. The heavy born again ideas detract from what could have been a good story.
Kim
Feb 13, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice comfy Christian book. A little predictable. I loved how the author showed that it's easy to become selfish and set in your ways when you have been single for years. In this case, the children cause a change of heart in their uncle and give him a greater purpose in life, a love beyond that which he knew. ( I listened to this book, and didn't care for narrator.)
Cassandra
Mar 05, 2009 Cassandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I liked this book because the characters in it are so very human they all had their seperate flaws and issues that they were dealing with and it made them easy to relate to I also like the details of the different time period that they were dealing with and the they reacted very differently to issues because of the time they lived in. So all in all I really enjoyed this book.
Lavona
Mar 19, 2008 Lavona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a four part series (The English Garden Series). Lori Wick is an incredible writer. I was so fasinated by the books and could not put them down. The writing brings the characters to life and I was sad when I was done reading them. I found myself totally wrapped in the life of the characters. Awesome series!
Strawberry
Apr 23, 2016 Strawberry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found about 5 sentences in this book romantic.
Although this story does a good job of showing a self-centered man's journey to accepting Christ.
This book is more a story of a sibling love and support and parent and child love.
I thought it was okay to good, but gave it one star for low romance.
Marcie Miller
This book introduces a bachelor who has no thoughts of marriage, who is left to care for two nephews and a niece. With no idea how to go about it, he feels the solution would be a governess. Only to find that is not the answer. Only the Lord can change the situation, but he is not too sure about that either. Slight romance?
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 21, 2014 12:01PM
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
  • Spring's Gentle Promise (Seasons of the Heart, #4)
  • Across the Years (Desert Roses, #2)
  • True Honor (Uncommon Heroes #3)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...

The English Garden (4 books)
  • The Rescue (The English Garden, #2)
  • The Visitor (The English Garden, #3)
  • The Pursuit (The English Garden, #4)