Juego Peligroso

Juego Peligroso (Company of Rogues #9)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  776 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Two men have paid Lady Ann Peckworth court. Both have married another. Now, the dashing and disarming Race de Vere has mysteriously come into her life-to assist her in her quest for the ideal husband. Only it's de Vere who sets the standard-with one heady kiss during one unforgettable night...
Published September 1st 2008 by Urano Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Juego Peligroso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juego Peligroso

Elis Madison
Anne Peckworth has been jilted. Again. Well, maybe not officially jilted, but still…

Two men have courted her, hinted that they meant to declare themselves soon, only to dash off and turn up again married to totally unsuitable women.

Anne forced herself to be a good sport about it. She was born with a "bad" foot (we're never quite clear what's wrong with it). She limps, and, to be comfortable, she has to wear special, fugly shoes.

As a result, Anne's never felt like "a catch," and Con's jilt only...more
Elle
YOU'VE NEVER MET A HEROINE LIKE LADY ANNE PECKWORTH.
The sheltered daughter of a duke, she has always been a perfect lady, even when jilted. Twice. Now, however, she's angry, and she's angry at the single most reckless, most irresponsible, most irresistible man she's ever known ....

YOU'VE NEVER MET A HERO LIKE RACE DE VERE
Far below Anne's station in life, he has invaded her orderly world like a pirate, tempting her to the edge and beyond. He leads her into impropriety, into wickedness, and then i...more
Ilze
Lots of fun, a real romp, a lovely book. The mousey and lame Lady Anne Peckworth, who was jilted by 2 of the Rogues characters in other books, finally breaks out of her shell, decides to grab her life and live it, and goes looking for a mate. The book's core is her inner transformation as she observes the people and couples around her and changes in her views of love and marriage. Race is the perfect mate for her (besides being scrumptious in general), but because he is of a much lower social st...more
Highland-dreamer
_inbetween_
Apr 10, 2008 _inbetween_ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to _inbetween_ by: chatpa
Wanted to give it five stars for putting a smile on my face again towards the end, where most books flag. Am returning to sober four points, managing to find some fault - but that's mostly for wanting to know more about Race, needing more to see him, slim and delicately beautiful - soldier - librarian *g* I also once more wish for the woman not to be (suddenly, very) beautiful, but that is just the middle stretch. Otherwise this is exceptionally well-written, time and space given exactly to what...more
Carolyn F.
I read a bit and it seemed so pretentious, asking her if she wanted a drink and of course that would lead one to the obvious story of a god/goddess. I tried finding it so I could quote it. This book is just jabs or smart comments back and forth with Anne calling Race all sort of names and him feeling sorry for her because of her limp. I was getting really, really bored and put the book down for a couple of weeks. Then it's due in 5 days and I thought I better pick it back up, but no, thinking of...more
Viridiana Ivashkov
Lo bueno es que solo me costó 30 pesos ¬¬ y ahora entiendo porque había varios de Jo tan baratos. Sinceramente no fue de mi agrado ni la historia ni el estilo de narración de la autora. Tenemos a una protagonista bipolar, ALERTA SPOILER: a Lady Anne se le ocurre mendigar un beso a un amigo del hermano con la excusa que le enseñe a coquetear, un recurso bastante gastado en este género. Luego cuando el caballero en cuestión la besa como se debe lo abofetea por su atrevimiento WTF osea no entendí.
F...more
Ana T.
What a wonderful heroine Beverley has created in Anne Peckworth. Here we have a proper, shy, crippled young lady who has been kilted twice (or almost) and suddenly decides to take her fate into her own hands and choose her husband.

It is true that Lady Anne has a little help from the “madman” Race de Vere. He is the first man with whom she finds herself comfortable with and who awakens her feelings. It is quite refreshing the way Beverley built Anne’s character. She is decided and, if not totally...more
Cathy
The jilted girl mentioned all throughout The Dragon's Bride and a previous book I didn't read finally gets her own book, and she's good and pissed off and not going to be jilted anymore! (You go, girl! It's about time!) She's always been polite, demure, and self-conscious due to a physical disability, but now she's bound and determined to take London by storm and get married before the season ends. (Er... okay, yeah, that's pretty typical for the time period and social class, but it wouldn't be...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
YOU'VE NEVER MET A HEROINE LIKE LADY ANNE PECKWORTH.

YOU'VE NEVER MET A HERO LIKE RACE DE VERE
Monkeyface
Listened to Hazard Company of Rogues, Bk 10 by Jo Beverley. YOU'VE NEVER MET A HEROINE LIKE LADY ANNE PECKWORTH. The sheltered daughter of a duke, she has always been a perfect lady, even when jilted. Twice. Now, however, she's angry, and she's angry at the single most reckless, most irresponsible, most *irresistible* man she's ever known.... — YOU'VE NEVER MET A HERO LIKE RACE de VERE. Far below Anne's station in life, he has invaded her orderly world like a pirate, tempting her to the edge and...more
Ana
A very satisfying book about love between a duke's daughter and a commoner. A bit of a stretch especially at the last part. But it doesn't really matter because true love always triumphs at the end.
I seem to be in the minority, given how other people rated this novel, but this is one of my favorite Jo Beverley novels. I love the hero character of Race De Vere. I like his inability to be serious (except about Lady Anne), complete accepting of his own faults and what he is good at, and his acceptance of his less-than-perfect history. Lady Anne was interesting as well, the kind of person who needs to be teased but most people are afraid to tease her. This is Jo Beverley at her best--managing...more
Marjorie Ihssen
I have all of this series but I believe this is one of her best books!
Jacqueline
Anna: "Lady Anne Peckworth, previously spurned by two of our heroes from the Company of Rogues, gets her man in this book. It was a fun book--Lady Anne is a duke's daughter with a large dowry but has a handicap--a deformed foot from birth causes her to limp. She has no shortage of suitors, but has no feelings of attraction for them until she meets her brother's companion Race de Vere, a former Army officer of unknown connections and low birth. Hardly suitable for a duke's daughter but . . . as t...more
Judith
This was a technically sound book but just not that interesting.

After being jilted twice Lady Anne Peckworth is ready to do whatever it takes to find the right man for her. In her case doing whatever it takes mainly involves just getting out of the house to meet men and not being deliberately off putting. There is only man who sets Anne's heart a flutter, but he is below her station as a Duke's Daughter -- and aware of that.

It is a decent story, but the two main characters don't generate much ge...more
L8blmr
I really do find much to like in Ms. Beverley's romances, but so often she just goes on too long for my liking. The theme in this book of the titled woman trying to talk herself out of falling for the untitled gentleman, with a couple of minor variations thrown in for originality, is explored almost beyond the point of interest into incredulity. If the main characters hadn't been so likable and the romance itself hadn't been so sweet, I probably wouldn't have made it to the end of the book or wo...more
Elizabet Luna
Awesome ending.
Tricia
Another entertaining book by Jo Beverley; lighthearted and full of humour.
Tishke
This book was really hard to rate. Race de Vere first got my attention in The Dragon's Bride; he was one of my favorite secondary character. I felt sorry but at the same time proud of Lady Anne in Forbidden. In Dragon's Bride, I once again felt sad for her but didn't feel emotionally attached to her character. I couldn't understand why she would harbor so much negative feelings for Con who hardly courted her versus Francis.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I liked the Company of Rogues series. It really worked for me, this camaraderie I long for and yet never will have. So when I read about a really good one in books, it always makes me happy to live it vicariously. This book focused on the unwanted Anne is not really for me. It was okay. I felt badly for Anne's situation. But I really didn't care. *shrug* It was nice to see she finally received her HEA.
Amanda
I enjoyed this book, especially Race De Vere's character. I love that the author knows that not every male love interest has to be a broody sort of man. He was amusing and mischievous, and had a love of the absurd. The story was well written and fun to read. There wasn't too much of a conflict/plot, but it had several good elements...such as the aforementioned De Vere. :)
Welzen
Una historia que no ha estado mal, aunque tarda bastante en poner a los personajes cara una relación amorosa pues hasta casi el final del libro entre ellos hay encuentro de pocos minutos que tienen lugar en fiestas, reuniones sociales y demás. Es una novela romántica demasiado "adecuada a las normas sociales" lo que le quita frescura.
Jeri
Wonderful. I'm a fan of Jo Beverley. I've come to expect excellent historical romance with characters who come alive, flashes of humor, and emotional intensity. I particularly adored the hero, Race, in this one. What else could you ask for?
Joy
One of Beverley's better outings. I liked how this steered clear of some of the more outlandish plot twists Beverley's turned in, and how the story was as much about Anne's discoveries about herself as it was about the central romance.
Elii Vela
La verdad lo intenté. Quise leerlo porque fue un obsequio de cumpleaños pero no pude. Ya intenté leer otro libro de esta autora y simplemente me parecen aburridos... Para alguien mas serán... not for me :(
Regina
Love that the hero is impoverished and not a noble! Also, he and the heroine have great chemistry. It's an excellent "coming into yourself" story for the heroine, which sort of reminds me of Now, Voyager.
Deborah Vespo
Loved this book!!!! Really enjoyed the dialogue between Lady Anne Peckworth and Race de Vere! Entertaining read and good storyline. Will have to add this one to my personal library.
Mary Lauer
  • Indiscreet (Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #1)
  • River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)
  • Bridal Favors (Bridal Stories, #2)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • The Virgin's Secret
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • Tallie's Knight
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her...more
More about Jo Beverley...
My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1) An Arranged Marriage (Company of Rogues, #1) An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2) Something Wicked (Malloren, #3) Devilish (Malloren, #5)